Sennheiser Ambeo Soundbar? - Page 17 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 101Likes

post #481 of 542 Old 08-14-2019, 11:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by midknight4 View Post
Has anyone with a Harmony remote figured out how to sort out the inputs yet? The Ambeo is on there database but as you have to select the correct input by cycling through them instead of directly pressing a button for the relevant one you want my Harmony never goes to the correct one - is there a work around at all?

I'll never understand why manufacturers don't add the extra few lines of code needed to support discrete input IR commands, Harmony although not as big as they once were is a huge brand, and it's such a simple feature to implement
midknight4 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #482 of 542 Old 08-15-2019, 03:51 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I received my replacement soundbar today and I am having a hell of a time trying to connect it to the app.

I have updated the firmware via USB (first thing I did).

The Google Home app can pick it up but not the Sennheiser app. At this point, Im not sure if its worth the effort. Obviously I havent gone into the app to fine tune it yet, but the subwoofer doesnt sound as good (after calibration via the include mic) as it does after calibration with the Anthem receiver. The sub sounds a little more boomy.
post #483 of 542 Old 08-15-2019, 08:10 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuan209 View Post
I received my replacement soundbar today and I am having a hell of a time trying to connect it to the app.

I have updated the firmware via USB (first thing I did).

The Google Home app can pick it up but not the Sennheiser app. At this point, Im not sure if its worth the effort. Obviously I havent gone into the app to fine tune it yet, but the subwoofer doesnt sound as good (after calibration via the include mic) as it does after calibration with the Anthem receiver. The sub sounds a little more boomy.
When I had the Ambeo, it was a nightmare until I figured it out. But even when that happened, the Ambeo would work until days later it finally konked out and wouldn't work at all. Hope they didn't send you mine as a replacement! Its S/N was 0169000145.

Try it again.

The application works best via Bluetooth. Download it into a tablet or phone, as I'm sure you must've done so, already.

Obviously, now you'll need to pair the Ambeo to the app on your tablet or phone. Please do so. Remember, be sure pairing is done via Bluetooth. Turn on Bluetooth in your device and keep them close to each other. Activate Bluetooth in the Soundbar, then go into settings of your iPad/phone device and let it search. The device should soon see the Ambeo.

At this point, let's assume you got it going.

Once, either you shut down either systems or you lose reception, if you're thinking that you'll be up and running merely by touching the app again on your tablet and that the Ambeo would see it, you'd be mistaken.

Here's what I learnt, the hard way.

The app download on the tablet is fine; you only need to do it once. However, YOU MUST PAIR THEM AGAIN. Do this by going into the Settings and touch Bluetooth so that it'll scan until it sees your Ambeo.

This process goes for every time that you wish to link both. For instance, I was doing this with an Apple iPad. I'd have to do a re-scan from the Settings every time. Wouldn't work just by touching the app from the iPad's main screen even when Bluetooth was always on.

You mentioned the Anthem. It's under consideration. I recall that even with countless times when I'd rescan calibration with the Ambeo, it wouldn't seem different wherever the mike was. Thanks for the pre-insight of the Anthem. Seems like it'd do a better job. I mean, if the Ambeo did, then I wouldn't have needed its app in the first place.

Last edited by TheBloop; 08-15-2019 at 08:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #484 of 542 Old 08-15-2019, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBloop View Post
When I had the Ambeo, it was a nightmare until I figured it out. But even when that happened, the Ambeo would work until days later it finally konked out and wouldn't work at all. Hope they didn't send you mine as a replacement! Its S/N was 0169000145.

Try it again.

The application works best via Bluetooth. Download it into a tablet or phone, as I'm sure you must've done so, already.

Obviously, now you'll need to pair the Ambeo to the app on your tablet or phone. Please do so. Remember, be sure pairing is done via Bluetooth. Turn on Bluetooth in your device and keep them close to each other. Activate Bluetooth in the Soundbar, then go into settings of your iPad/phone device and let it search. The device should soon see the Ambeo.

At this point, let's assume you got it going.

Once, either you shut down either systems or you lose reception, if you're thinking that you'll be up and running merely by touching the app again on your tablet and that the Ambeo would see it, you'd be mistaken.

Here's what I learnt, the hard way.

The app download on the tablet is fine; you only need to do it once. However, YOU MUST PAIR THEM AGAIN. Do this by going into the Settings and touch Bluetooth so that it'll scan until it sees your Ambeo.

This process goes for every time that you wish to link both. For instance, I was doing this with an Apple iPad. I'd have to do a re-scan from the Settings every time. Wouldn't work just by touching the app from the iPad's main screen.

You mentioned the Anthem. It's under consideration. I recall that even with countless times when I'd rescan calibration with the Ambeo, it wouldn't seem different wherever the mike was. Thanks for the pre-insight of the Anthem. Seems like it'd do a better job. I mean, if the Ambeo did, then I wouldn't have needed its app in the first place.

I am using mine on Android so not sure if there is a difference in connecting with the app.

I first connected through the Google Home App which worked fine, but after doing so, it would not connect to the Sennheiser app.

I then removed the Sennheiser connection from the Google Home App and went in and cleared the data/cache on the Sennheiser app and it connected. However, now it wont connect to the Google Home App (which is needed if you want to connect the soundbar to your wifi). The frustration continues.

Anyhow, I re-ran the calibration again and the sub seems to play better now, although still not as cleanly as with the Anthem receiver. The Ambeo is actually really good for movies. I just played a couple of scenes from Aquaman and 13 Hours and it sounded awesome. The real downside, when compared to a proper 2.0 setup, is the separation you get, especially for music. I have tried a few settings and its no where close to the receiver and Kef LS50s. It does sound more spacious with Ambeo effect on and the volume cranked up a bit, but I dont want to always play at such a high volume.

Im now debating if I should just stick with my 3.1 setup. I honestly dont care for surround as much as I dont really watch a lot of movies or television for that matter. I do enjoy sitting down and listening to some good music to unwind at the end of the day. While the atmos effects are nice, there are not enough good movies with special effects to really warrant it at this time.

Ill give the soundbar a few more days to see if I can tweak it to my liking. I do like the "all in one" idea.....
post #485 of 542 Old 08-15-2019, 08:46 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
. . . it wont connect to the Google Home App (which is needed if you want to connect the soundbar to your wifi). The frustration continues.

Ill give the soundbar a few more days to see if I can tweak it to my liking. I do like the "all in one" idea.....

In your mention about WiFi, you know what? . . . You just gave me a headache. Thanks a lot! That's what I meant when I said it was a nightmare. Had the same problem. My WiFi worked with everything else except the Ambeo, wireless and wired.

Make use out of those 60 days. Full refund, too. Those DigitalRiver people were screwed up. They wouldn't pay for the return shipment (even on a malfunctioning unit) although the Sennheiser people later would, but it was too late. It was on its way. In the end, I didn't get full refund. Just glad I was done with it.

I imagine considering whether to keep the [you know what] would be due to experience. Once you're spoiled by quality like the Anthem, it'd be in mind while hearing the [you know what] and it simply might not do.

"All-in-one" ideas are mainly conveniences. Nothing beats dedicated (separates) units for quality.

Last edited by TheBloop; 08-15-2019 at 09:36 PM.
post #486 of 542 Old 08-16-2019, 04:44 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Just ordered it. Arriving Saturday - tomorrow.
midknight4 likes this.
post #487 of 542 Old 08-16-2019, 06:55 AM
Advanced Member

I have downloaded the Sennheiser Smart Control App to my mobile phone.

Copied latest firmware to a USB Stick.

Told the wife her Sister called and sounded a bit down/lonely. So wife is leaving this evening to see her Sister this weekend.

Anything else in terms of preparation?
post #488 of 542 Old 08-16-2019, 07:02 AM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundizer17 View Post

Told the wife her Sister called and sounded a bit down/lonely. So wife is leaving this evening to see her Sister this weekend.

Mine is on UPS truck and should be in my hands within an hour and a half. However, getting new carpet in the family room so the installation will need to wait until late afternoon.
Why FW on USB stick? Won’t it upgrade itself over the network?
Soundizer17 likes this.
post #489 of 542 Old 08-16-2019, 07:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked: 943
Quote:

It may be helpful to download the online manual and get familiar with it. I did this, and it helped get me up and running quickly. Good luck, and please post impressions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Soundizer17 likes this.
post #490 of 542 Old 08-16-2019, 09:19 AM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:

I could not get the Google Home app to see the Ambeo for love nor money so I downloaded the firmware from the website and upgraded using a USB - however I dug out some home plugs and then connected the Ambeo to the net via an ethernet cable and it then said there was another firmware update available and then uploaded that.

Interestingly the app (after the USB update) said firmware ver 1.0.10

Then when upgraded via ethernet it went to ver 1.0.13 - which incidentally is the latest ver according to the release notes on Ambeo webpage.

So just be aware the download may not have been updated yet if done directly from the website.
post #491 of 542 Old 08-16-2019, 09:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirekti View Post
Mine is on UPS truck and should be in my hands within an hour and a half. However, getting new carpet in the family room so the installation will need to wait until late afternoon.
Why FW on USB stick? Won’t it upgrade itself over the network?
Number of reasons:
1. It seems to be the most reliable method based on user experience.
2. I don’t want to add it to my network.

The Sennhieser smart control App will notify if future update is required.
post #492 of 542 Old 08-16-2019, 09:30 AM
Advanced Member

Question

Quote:
I could not get the Google Home app to see the Ambeo for love nor money so I downloaded the firmware from the website and upgraded using a USB - however I dug out some home plugs and then connected the Ambeo to the net via an ethernet cable and it then said there was another firmware update available and then uploaded that.

Interestingly the app (after the USB update) said firmware ver 1.0.10

Then when upgraded via ethernet it went to ver 1.0.13 - which incidentally is the latest ver according to the release notes on Ambeo webpage.

So just be aware the download may not have been updated yet if done directly from the website.
Are you saying the version on Sennheiser UK website is not ver 1.0.13?
The release notes show ver 1.0.13 on the website.
post #493 of 542 Old 08-16-2019, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Are you saying the version on Sennheiser UK website is not ver 1.0.13?
The release notes show ver 1.0.13 on the website.
Yes - that was my experience earlier this week - I have no idea why Google Home would not see the Ambeo either but no matter what I tried it just would not detect it at all - I am an Apple user normally so perhaps I was doing something wrong as not used to Google Home but it just did not want to see the soundbar at all.
post #494 of 542 Old 08-16-2019, 10:41 AM

I think I figured it out!

So I put my phone into airplane mode which would eliminate the LTE(data) radio. I then manually turned on WIFI and bluetooth. This method connected to the Ambeo bar pretty instantly.

I am not sure if this is just luck on my part or the authentication method used by Sennheiser/Google is flawed. I tried this as I saw my phone switching back and forth between WIFI and my cellular network, and I figured the app and the soundbar had trouble communicating.

Give it a try and see if it works.

As for the soundbar, I really like it but I am not sure how well it really integrates with a sub or if it does much to calibrate it. To me, it seems Sennheiser's calibration method doesnt work as well as some of the known AV companies, which is understandable. I have the sub turned on inside the app but it says the sub is not calibrated. I am sure it is calibrated as it sounds different (a little better) than before the calibration process at the beginning. Anyhow, I stand behind my statement in the previous few posts. This thing is AWESOME for movies but average for music.

Ill will play with it for a few more days and maybe bust out the mini dsp and REW for sub calibration. I was hoping I wouldnt have to but Ill give it a whirl.
post #495 of 542 Old 08-16-2019, 11:53 AM

So anyone with theirs connected to a 4K Apple TV help me out. According to the Sennheiser app anything I play that is 5.1 is actually pcm and 2 channel. I have tried playing stuff through Movies Anywhere, Vudu and Apple movies and the app always states it is pcm codec and only 2 channels. Surely this isn’t right! Atmos plays okay but not 5.1. Not sure if it’s a issue with the sound bar itself of Apple TV. Anyone else got this issue?
post #496 of 542 Old 08-16-2019, 12:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
So anyone with theirs connected to a 4K Apple TV help me out. According to the Sennheiser app anything I play that is 5.1 is actually pcm and 2 channel. I have tried playing stuff through Movies Anywhere, Vudu and Apple movies and the app always states it is pcm codec and only 2 channels. Surely this isn’t right! Atmos plays okay but not 5.1. Not sure if it’s a issue with the sound bar itself of Apple TV. Anyone else got this issue?
I will also be connecting my Apple TV4K directly to it tomorrow. I will let you know my status.
post #497 of 542 Old 08-16-2019, 12:12 PM
Advanced Member

If you are connecting all devices directly to Soundbar should you turn eArc off on the TV?
post #498 of 542 Old 08-16-2019, 03:11 PM

Quote:
If you are connecting all devices directly to Soundbar should you turn eArc off on the TV?
Tried deleting the app and reinstalling and resetting Apple TV. As I said I don’t think it’s the Ambeo as if I try and play Netflix direct from my tv (arc) I get DD plus 6 channel as stated on the app but anything on the ATV bar ATMOS is showing as 2 channel pcm whether it’s from Netflix, Prime, Movies Anywhere or Apple movies.

I can force the ATV to output Dolby digital and that works but multichannel pcm doesn’t. It did when connected to my Denon AV receiver so maybe it’s to do with how it handshakes with the Ambeo? But Netflix is showing 5.1 is programme descriptions so it’s all a bit odd.
post #499 of 542 Old 08-16-2019, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirium305 View Post
Is anyone else having an issue playing Netflix content via Apple TV? If I play a Netflix title which is broadcast in Atmos, the soundbar handles the content without issue. However, if I play a movie/show that is only broadcast in regular 5.1, the soundbar is playing back in PCM 2 channel or 6 channel with no real predictability. The same title may be playing in 2 channel PCM, but closing and re-opening the Netflix app sometimes results in PCM 6 channel playback.

Now the kicker.. the same titles which were playing in PCM via Apple TV’s Netflix app will play in Dolby Digital Plus if played back with the amazon app on the FireTV 4K.

I can’t seen to figure out why this is the case...
Only just saw this, yes I am having the same issues (see my previous 2 posts). Except I haven’t been able to get it to playback anything other than 2 channels on non Atmos material. Don’t suppose you have fixed this have you?
post #500 of 542 Old 08-16-2019, 07:18 PM

Ok, I installed it and was able to pair the Control app with it, but it said the FW is outdated and it needs to be updated which lead me to Google Home which in turn shows No Devices Found.
Any hint for this?
post #501 of 542 Old 08-16-2019, 07:20 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hint : use Ethernet connection
post #502 of 542 Old 08-16-2019, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthus View Post
Hint : use Ethernet connection
Nah, cannot do so, it’s a family room and have no cable there. Managed to connect via WPS though, and updated the FW.
Google home still cannot find the device.
post #503 of 542 Old 08-16-2019, 10:24 PM

Quote:
I think I figured it out!

So I put my phone into airplane mode which would eliminate the LTE(data) radio. I then manually turned on WIFI and bluetooth. This method connected to the Ambeo bar pretty instantly.

I am not sure if this is just luck on my part or the authentication method used by Sennheiser/Google is flawed. I tried this as I saw my phone switching back and forth between WIFI and my cellular network, and I figured the app and the soundbar had trouble communicating.

Give it a try and see if it works.

As for the soundbar, I really like it but I am not sure how well it really integrates with a sub or if it does much to calibrate it. To me, it seems Sennheiser's calibration method doesnt work as well as some of the known AV companies, which is understandable. I have the sub turned on inside the app but it says the sub is not calibrated. I am sure it is calibrated as it sounds different (a little better) than before the calibration process at the beginning. Anyhow, I stand behind my statement in the previous few posts. This thing is AWESOME for movies but average for music.

Ill will play with it for a few more days and maybe bust out the mini dsp and REW for sub calibration. I was hoping I wouldnt have to but Ill give it a whirl.
The app on mine also says the sub is not calibrated, I think the app is not very good to be honest and I hate the fact the wifi connection is not integrated into it, I cannot get Google Home to see the Ambeo no matter what I do, luckily had some home plugs lying about the place so connected via Ethernet but for such an expensive item the app is rubbish.
post #504 of 542 Old Yesterday, 12:19 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Only just saw this, yes I am having the same issues (see my previous 2 posts). Except I haven’t been able to get it to playback anything other than 2 channels on non Atmos material. Don’t suppose you have fixed this have you?
I have the exact same issue. Only 2 channel PCM (except for Atmos) ... really annoying. Using TvOS13 beta 7.
post #505 of 542 Old Yesterday, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawxoox View Post
I have the exact same issue. Only 2 channel PCM (except for Atmos) ... really annoying. Using TvOS13 beta 7.
Yes but I have tried with the lates beta and just the normal os too and its still the same. Am seriously considering returning it now as most of my viewing is 5.1 and the Ambeo is simply not playing that. I don't know if its an Apple issue of a Sennheiser one but its a pretty fundamental flaw in my opinion.
post #506 of 542 Old Yesterday, 12:30 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Yes but I have tried with the lates beta and just the normal os too and its still the same. Am seriously considering returning it now as most of my viewing is 5.1 and the Ambeo is simply not playing that. I don't know if its an Apple issue of a Sennheiser one but its a pretty fundamental flaw in my opinion.
I'm pretty sure it's a Sennheiser-bug. I never had this issue before. Have you tried contacting Sennheiser to make them aware of the issue? I will (and also make them aware of the annoying latency-issue when using ARC ... grrrrrr).
post #507 of 542 Old Yesterday, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawxoox View Post
I'm pretty sure it's a Sennheiser-bug. I never had this issue before. Have you tried contacting Sennheiser to make them aware of the issue? I will (and also make them aware of the annoying latency-issue when using ARC ... grrrrrr).
Yes, I did yesterday. It’s hard to tell if its a bug and the app is displaying incorrect information or the sound bar is genuinely only playing 2 channel pcm. Either way I have limited time to return and it is something that really shouldn’t be happening for such a high price product and may influence my decision to send it back.
post #508 of 542 Old Yesterday, 04:44 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 24
So, any thoughts on how this compares to the Yamaha 5600 and if an upgrade to the Ambeo can be warranted?
post #509 of 542 Old Yesterday, 05:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yes, I did yesterday. It’s hard to tell if its a bug and the app is displaying incorrect information or the sound bar is genuinely only playing 2 channel pcm. Either way I have limited time to return and it is something that really shouldn’t be happening for such a high price product and may influence my decision to send it back.
May i ask who you purchased from?
post #510 of 542 Old Yesterday, 05:42 AM

Quote:
May i ask who you purchased from?
Richer Sounds (in the UK)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement