Sennheiser Ambeo Soundbar? - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 123Likes

post #31 of 658 Old 04-26-2018, 02:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyGood View Post
Ha! Sennheiser makes many products under the Ambeo name... including a microphone. It's probably a demo of that.
You're undoubtedly right. It's a bizarre demo in any event...youtube makes anything possible, including whacked out videos, without explanation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 658 Old 05-04-2018, 07:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Any new info on this, it should be quite interesting especially to compare with Creative Labs Sonic Carrier. All I have heard is the cabinet design and some features (number of HDMI ports, etc.) have NOT been finalized. The speakers and positions have been finished, but the cabinet may be styled and trimmed a bit more than what has been shown so far. I was told to expect more at CEDIA 2018 for an update.
post #33 of 658 Old 06-07-2018, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieGuruJeff View Post
Any new info on this, it should be quite interesting especially to compare with Creative Labs Sonic Carrier. All I have heard is the cabinet design and some features (number of HDMI ports, etc.) have NOT been finalized. The speakers and positions have been finished, but the cabinet may be styled and trimmed a bit more than what has been shown so far. I was told to expect more at CEDIA 2018 for an update.
I wanna know if this is gonna be better and less expensive than the creative lab
we need more info on this

LG 65 C9 OLED Display
Oppo UDP-203 UHD Blu-ray Player (49-XXXX MODIFIED )
Home Theater 7.1.4 with yamaha RX3070
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 658 Old 06-07-2018, 01:31 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 7
This looks pretty awesome for a soundbar!
post #35 of 658 Old 06-07-2018, 07:03 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Hopefully Dolby won't find a way to stop Sennheiser products from upmixing Atmos/DD signals, because 3 layers of height sounds like lotsa fun

LG B7 65", PS4 Pro, Switch, Roku Premiere+, Samsung K8500, Sennheiser RS185
Denon X4400H, RSL CG23+CG3, Onkyo SKH-410, Emotiva BasX8 (5.1.4)
post #36 of 658 Old 06-07-2018, 08:14 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 12
If I am reading that article right this could be a massive kick in the teeth to owners of 2018 soundbars as well?

Does that mean all 2018 soundbars that can be patched, the manufacturer will need to go back and disable Atmos upmixing?

Some bars were heavily advertised, like the Sony Z9F which has a single press button that upmixes content and gives it the Atmos height channel, this could mean that feature has to be removed?
post #37 of 658 Old 06-08-2018, 07:02 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naekyr View Post
If I am reading that article right this could be a massive kick in the teeth to owners of 2018 soundbars as well?

Does that mean all 2018 soundbars that can be patched, the manufacturer will need to go back and disable Atmos upmixing?

Some bars were heavily advertised, like the Sony Z9F which has a single press button that upmixes content and gives it the Atmos height channel, this could mean that feature has to be removed?
I was curios about this too. I already returned my Z9F for other reasons but I was concerned about this too.
post #38 of 658 Old 06-10-2018, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi4 View Post
Ambeo is a name not just for the Soundbar, but also their headphones and other equipment. if I understand correctly, it really represents another object oriented system like Atmos or DTS X, that also strives to place sounds anywhere in the room. Additionally it presumably can accept Atmos and DTS X, and output it as Ambeo.

From the above article, it seems that Dolby will prevent DTS and Auro from upmixing Atmos, specifically because DTS and Auro are technologies that are licensed to other 3rd party companies. Does anyone know if Ambeo is similar - does Sennheiser license this technology to other companies, or is this strictly a Sennheiser technology?

From the article, it appears that this soundbar could still fully function with Ambeo upmixing of Atmos, if Sennheiser is using Ambeo solely in-house - right?
post #39 of 658 Old 06-16-2018, 09:19 PM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I’m actually getting hyped for this after all the other sound bar product and announcement fails. Six 4” drivers... :::drool::: Strong, balanced audio and I live in a small place so I can probably make due without rears. And then you dont have or really need a separate subwoofer cleaning things up even more. Hopefully it wont be 3-5k where I think it will end up landing.
post #40 of 658 Old 06-16-2018, 09:33 PM

What I am hearing now is that it may not hit this year and be more polished and finalized at next year's CES 2019 in January. Considering there are no promos of it being forthcoming from Sennheiser or any news for updates than what was already known, I would say it's a good bet.

For now, the Creative soundbar is the absolute best you can get, but it costs as much as many spend on their 65 inch OLED. I'm still guessing the Sennheiser will be around $2,999 when shipped.

You still have the Samsung N950 coming soon but it will NOT support Dolby Vision due to Samsung not being in their format camp just like their TVs. It gets automatically ruled out for me due to this being a must have.

Last edited by MovieGuruJeff; 06-16-2018 at 09:37 PM.
post #41 of 658 Old 06-16-2018, 10:01 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Ambeo is a name not just for the Soundbar, but also their headphones and other equipment. if I understand correctly, it really represents another object oriented system like Atmos or DTS X, that also strives to place sounds anywhere in the room. Additionally it presumably can accept Atmos and DTS X, and output it as Ambeo.

You're right in that AMBEO is a brand. Just like ATMOS does cinema, home, headphones, VR, and mobile technologies,

https://en-uk.sennheiser.com/ambeo-blueprints

AMBEO does 9.1 for speakers, Binaural, and VR.

You're incorrect in that it's object oriented. It's just channel-based 9.1h like Auro3D. This is disappointing because you get the flaws of 5.1, and owners of non-height systems will get no benefit unlike DTSX&Atmos with 7.1 bases.

post #42 of 658 Old 06-17-2018, 09:08 AM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
What I am hearing now is that it may not hit this year and be more polished and finalized at next year's CES 2019 in January. Considering there are no promos of it being forthcoming from Sennheiser or any news for updates than what was already known, I would say it's a good bet.

For now, the Creative soundbar is the absolute best you can get, but it costs as much as many spend on their 65 inch OLED. I'm still guessing the Sennheiser will be around $2,999 when shipped.

You still have the Samsung N950 coming soon but it will NOT support Dolby Vision due to Samsung not being in their format camp just like their TVs. It gets automatically ruled out for me due to this being a must have.
Dang, it’s going to be quite the wait but on the positive side, that should hopefully mean that all HDMI ports will be full 2.1. I’m hesitant to buy a $2000+ system without the latest standards as with the N950 not having DV. I do not have a DV TV now but I might in another couple years...
post #43 of 658 Old 06-17-2018, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by junh1024 View Post
owners of non-height systems will get no benefit unlike DTSX&Atmos with 7.1 bases.
Can you please explain this a little more? Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyGood
hopefully mean that all HDMI ports will be full 2.1
If that's not the case, then they'll have a hard time selling these.
post #44 of 658 Old 06-17-2018, 04:59 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by wified View Post
Can you please explain this a little more? Thanks.
AURO/AMBEO 9.1 is 5.1.4.

DTSX is 7.1.4

If you have a 7.1 system, you will get no benefit from AURO/AMBEO over a 5.1 soundtrack.

Last edited by junh1024; 06-17-2018 at 05:51 PM.
post #45 of 658 Old 08-31-2018, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Latest news from Sennheiser on the Ambeo Soundbar: https://en-us.sennheiser.com/ambeo-s...m_medium=email

Things are looking up, it looks like a finished product!

Set for launch early 2019.
post #46 of 658 Old 08-31-2018, 06:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2345 Post(s)
Liked: 1131
Quote:
Originally Posted by BN08 View Post
Latest news from Sennheiser on the Ambeo Soundbar: https://en-us.sennheiser.com/ambeo-s...m_medium=email

Things are looking up, it looks like a finished product!

Set for launch early 2019.

Looks promising!

Shopping List:
TV: Samsung Q90R, or LG C9, or Sony ...
Blu-ray: Panasonic UB820, or Sony X800M, or Pioneer Elite LX500
Soundbar: Samsung Q90R, or Sennheiser Ambeo, or...
AVR and Speakers: Marantz 8012, or... and GE Triton Reference, or...
post #47 of 658 Old 09-01-2018, 05:12 AM

Liked: 0
Yeah! They're still not giving anything away re specs etc. though. I contacted them yesterday and the polite but brief reply confirmed what we already know; that there is no detail (other than that on the web-site) available at this time but it will be released for sale early 2019. So I would expect more info at CES.
I was particularly interested to know (among other things) if it would include HDMI eArc (as the latest Bose soundbars have).

Last edited by Self-Righteous; 09-01-2018 at 05:29 AM.
post #48 of 658 Old 09-01-2018, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Self-Righteous View Post
Yeah! They're still not giving anything away re specs etc. though. I contacted them yesterday and the polite but brief reply confirmed what we already know; that there is no detail (other than that on the web-site) available at this time but it will be released for sale early 2019. So I would expect more info at CES.
I was particularly interested to know (among other things) if it would include HDMI eArc (as the latest Bose soundbars have).
This has already been discussed before as I posted several months ago. They basically told their reps the same thing and if you check out my prior posts they even stated before early Summer it would be after the CES 2019. What they said back then is they were still finalizing the parts and design, as the one that had been shown was a prototype and would be more polished on release. Still, nothing specific on specs, HDR supported formats, number of HDMI inputs, eARC ports, etc. but I think they will have that ready around the time for CES 2019. If it's still nothing concrete at the show, then I wouldn't get my hopes up too much.
post #49 of 658 Old 09-02-2018, 01:25 AM

Quote:
This has already been discussed before as I posted several months ago. They basically told their reps the same thing and if you check out my prior posts they even stated before early Summer it would be after the CES 2019. What they said back then is they were still finalizing the parts and design, as the one that had been shown was a prototype and would be more polished on release. Still, nothing specific on specs, HDR supported formats, number of HDMI inputs, eARC ports, etc. but I think they will have that ready around the time for CES 2019. If it's still nothing concrete at the show, then I wouldn't get my hopes up too much.
Of course you did, and well done for that & for pointing it out. But all the same, I still took the trouble to contact Sennheiser to see if perhaps there had been a change in policy on releasing info. and thought I would share. Isn't that what these forums are for?
Have.A.Nice.Day.

Last edited by Self-Righteous; 09-02-2018 at 03:13 AM.
post #50 of 658 Old 09-02-2018, 07:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

First look from Digital Trends...

$2,500...

Shopping List:
post #51 of 658 Old 09-02-2018, 08:29 PM

Yamaha already proved that that market is niche and doesn't really work, Seinheiser is treading thin ice with this soundbar

Sure in theory it looks good, but the price is too high and because it doesn't include satelite speakers it once again relies on a perfect room setup (4 walls, nice flat non absorbing ceiling and walls), sitting in the center of the room and no obstacles such as furniture to block sound - just to get the intended sound effects

Then you also have no sub either

To be honest I'd rather have a conventional atmos soundbar system where you have rears and its own sub, I have a room where there is furniture against walls and I don't sit in the middle of my room - the surround sound effects would just get blocked and not sound right

Last edited by Naekyr; 09-02-2018 at 08:33 PM.
post #52 of 658 Old 09-02-2018, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Yamaha already proved that that market is niche and doesn't really work, Seinheiser is treading thin ice with this soundbar

Sure in theory it looks good, but the price is too high and because it doesn't include satelite speakers it once again relies on a perfect room setup (4 walls, nice flat non absorbing ceiling and walls), sitting in the center of the room and no obstacles such as furniture to block sound - just to get the intended sound effects

To be honest I'd rather have a conventional atmos soundbar system where you have rears and its own sub, I have a room where there is furniture against walls and I don't sit in the middle of my room - the surround sound effects would just get blocked and not sound right
Keep in mind the Creative Labs soundbar is about twice that price, so at least it should drive down the cost a little there. Since no one has heard the final product in person yet, except some of the early versions of the final product, it will be nice to hear it once it hits the market next year. Basically though, I'm inclined to agree with your feelings on this due to the reasons you point out. However, they could in theory expand it to include an external sub and surrounds at additional cost. At the very least, it will be fun to compare it to the Creative Labs soundbar even though the market is limited at that price point.
post #53 of 658 Old 09-03-2018, 06:30 AM

A pre review by the ever reliable What Hi-Fi? at least answers my query about eArc. It does have it, and lots more besides.

https://www.whathifi.com/reviews/sen...ands-on-review

Last edited by Self-Righteous; 09-03-2018 at 06:43 AM.
post #54 of 658 Old 09-03-2018, 08:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

You haven't even heard it yet...

Shopping List:
post #55 of 658 Old 09-26-2018, 12:22 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Sennheiser Ambeo Soundbar?

I haven't been able to find any dimensions I'm sure that they aren't out but a long shot anyone here happen to know height width etc? Also I'm really excited for this sound bar it could be pretty impressive eagerly awaiting the reviews.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LG 65 B7A
post #56 of 658 Old 09-26-2018, 12:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked: 315
I called Sennheiser, and no information is available except for the fact that its projected availability will be early 2019, as opposed to the original projection of late 2018
hingerson likes this.
post #57 of 658 Old 09-26-2018, 07:05 PM

Quote:
I called Sennheiser, and no information is available except for the fact that its projected availability will be early 2019, as opposed to the original projection of late 2018

Man that's to bad they wouldn't at least give dimensions I can't imagine those will change anymore

LG 65 B7A
post #58 of 658 Old 09-27-2018, 02:01 AM

They're not going to because it's officially unofficial. Meaning that until there is a more certain release date anything and everything can happen. It "should" be released sometime after CES next year and have it on display at CES 2019. But until then, it's still a prototype or vaporware and nothing is final.
post #59 of 658 Old 09-27-2018, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hingerson View Post
I haven't been able to find any dimensions I'm sure that they aren't out but a long shot anyone here happen to know height width etc? Also I'm really excited for this sound bar it could be pretty impressive eagerly awaiting the reviews.

It is however safe to assume it will be BIG, because it doesn't use surround satellites and tries to do everything is one
post #60 of 658 Old 09-27-2018, 01:30 PM

Quote:
It is however safe to assume it will be BIG, because it doesn't use surround satellites and tries to do everything is one

Yea I'm planning on that, I just recently heard about this and if it does all of that well enough I think it'll be worth it

LG 65 B7A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page