Sennheiser Ambeo Soundbar? - Page 25 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 171Likes

post #721 of 894 Old 08-31-2019, 08:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by midknight4 View Post
So as the app says sub not calibrated then it’s likely then that sub ISN’T calibrated properly then?
We really need Sennheiser explain us few things about the bar.
midknight4 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 894 Old 08-31-2019, 08:51 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirekti View Post
LoL I am not. My initial idea was to use Wave Link and connect two or three subwoofers which I would try to calibrate through the soundbar.
If the calibration wouldn't work (delay due to WiFi) I would then keep the subs Not calibrated in the app. At that point my expectation would be:

1. Soundbar is calibrated for itself, and it passes 80Hz down to Subwoofer i.e. if Sub is Off the soundbar has calibrated the whole range and if Sub is On, the soundbar is calibrated for HPF range, and LPF signal goes to Sub Out.
2. I would manually adjust the subwoofers and integrated them to the soundbar at this point.

As mentioned above, I cannot get the subwoofers work via Wave Link. For some reason the bar is not sending anything out when those are connected. However, while I was testing Subwoofer On/Off I had noticed the side effect that while the Subwoofer is On (physically connected or not connected) I don't only lose bass on the bar, but the whole midrange starts sounding dull.
Are you able to turn the subwoofer On/Off if nothing is connected? If so, could you play some music and see if there is more to it than simple bass cutoff?
Sennheiser support confirmed the sub is not designed to work with wireless adapters.
post #723 of 894 Old 08-31-2019, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glide2flip View Post
Sennheiser support confirmed the sub is not designed to work with wireless adapters.
I understand, but it should work this way:

1. In subwoofer non-calibrated mode, calibrate the bar for its range, and throw 80 Hz LPF out on RCA connector. Let me dial in my subs.
2. In subwoofer calibrated mode, do whatever it is needed from Sennheiser's perspective e.g. limit support to single wired subwoofer, send whatever range to bar and whatever range to sub, and that's fine. It's their algorithm, and it obviously works.

Has anyone tried to play with turning Subwoofer On and Off in the app when there is no subwoofer connected? I wonder if it is only my bar that gets messed/dull/reduced range midrange if Sub is set to on.

Last edited by mirekti; 08-31-2019 at 09:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #724 of 894 Old 08-31-2019, 09:45 AM

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 67
I am confused by this. So if the app is saying not calibrated (after running calibration) then is it safe to say the sub isn’t really working with the amp? If I turn the volume up (via the app) of the sub I don’t notice anything. So should I try a different cable for the sub?
post #725 of 894 Old 08-31-2019, 09:50 AM

Quote:
I am confused by this. So if the app is saying not calibrated (after running calibration) then is it safe to say the sub isn’t really working with the amp? If I turn the volume up (via the app) of the sub I don’t notice anything. So should I try a different cable for the sub?
You are probably getting nothing out to the subs. I have Rythmik F8, and when I plug it in via cable, in Subwoofer non calibrated mode, volume at 50% they rumble all over the place. Only after the calibration the subwoofer becomes quite (which it is suppose to do), and deliver when needed.
However, as I don't understand how Sennheiser's Sub Out actually works, I wouldn't be surprised I am also doing something wrong (how much wrong can one go with RCA Sub Out, though )
post #726 of 894 Old 08-31-2019, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Yes. Try a different cable until calibration completes.
post #727 of 894 Old 08-31-2019, 12:05 PM

...I have reset my bar, and it won't even calibrate anymore. What a crappy SW, I am on the edge of simply returning it and check back in two years after it matures.
It is fascinating how such well known brand comes out with SW like this. They could have set the bar really high with this soundbar, yet all one can read about it on forums are countless issues people keep facing.
What had happened with the German precision, stayed in last century?
post #728 of 894 Old 08-31-2019, 12:10 PM

Quote:
...I have reset my bar, and it won't even calibrate anymore. What a crappy SW, I am on the edge of simply returning it and check back in two years after it matures.
It is fascinating how such well known brand comes out with SW like this. They could have set the bar really high with this soundbar, yet all one can read about it on forums are countless issues people keep facing.
What had happened with the German precision, stayed in last century?
I agree. The build quality of the bar itself seems okay to me (maybe a little too much plastic used).

The software/app are an embarrassment though. Hoping things get sorted within my return-window.

I’m also going to be looking very closely at what Sonos has to offer at IFA next week. If they have an updated Playbar that is Atmos capable I could very easily be swayed back. Never had a single problem with their software/setup.
post #729 of 894 Old 08-31-2019, 12:52 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 737 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Why is it so difficult to change the equaliser settings.

I don’t mind plastic as long as it’s good quality plastic and does not crackle, which unfortunately it does.

Anyone else having plastic crackle or other strange clicking sounds?

Last edited by Soundizer17; 08-31-2019 at 01:34 PM.
post #730 of 894 Old 08-31-2019, 10:13 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 5
[QUOTE=healthnut;58494166]I’m wondering if the noises some are experiencing during playback might be helped by making sure everything is tight and the unit properly ventilated?

Regarding proper ventilation: I tested temperatures for the Ambeo to see how hot it gets during moderate operation. The soundbar sits in the open with no airflow restrictions.

Tested using an analog thermometer located on the top of the bar's ventilated grill, right-of-center near the right-side atmos speaker. This is the hottest area of the bar by touch.
Ambient = 25C /77F.
Volume at 20, external sub connected.
Firmware: 1.0.16

60 minutes of non-Atmos content:
- Internal sensor via the app = 25.3C / 77.5F
- External = 40.5C / 105F

60 minutes of Atmos/DTS:X content, started directly after the first test:

- Internal = 28.5C / 83.3F
- External = 46.1C / 115F

Have I ever heard the bar make a noise that sounds like the enclosure is expanding because of heat? Yes.
Does it happen consistently? No. Sometimes it does not happen at all. It did not happen during this 2 hour test.

If it gets worse over time, I will definitely let Sennheiser know.
Sorry to hear others have consistent noise from the heat dissipation.
Soundizer17 likes this.
post #731 of 894 Old 08-31-2019, 11:41 PM

So I changed my sub cable and re ran the room calibration and now the app does state the sub is calibrated but to be honest it doesn’t sound any different to how it was before when it said it wasn’t calibrated. Also adjusting the sub volume via the app seems to do nothing either.

The soundbar does sound great and I have yet to experience any plastic cracking noises but I have to say, for such a high priced item the app is utter crap and doesn’t really seem to work that well. It really feels like we are beta testers and I think Sennheiser need to pull their finger out and get it sorted as anyone thinking about buying one who does any sort of research before hand is going to see a lot of owners are having issues.

It truly does sound great but I am not convinced the sub is inter grated into it properly.
Soundizer17 likes this.
post #732 of 894 Old 09-01-2019, 03:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
So I changed my sub cable and re ran the room calibration and now the app does state the sub is calibrated but to be honest it doesn’t sound any different to how it was before when it said it wasn’t calibrated. Also adjusting the sub volume via the app seems to do nothing either.

The soundbar does sound great and I have yet to experience any plastic cracking noises but I have to say, for such a high priced item the app is utter crap and doesn’t really seem to work that well. It really feels like we are beta testers and I think Sennheiser need to pull their finger out and get it sorted as anyone thinking about buying one who does any sort of research before hand is going to see a lot of owners are having issues.

It truly does sound great but I am not convinced the sub is inter grated into it properly.
I agree about us being almost like Beta testers.

Even with the issues on the Smart App I am pleased about the functionality of the remote control. So once you use the Smart App to set things up, hopefully you can just use the Remote Control there after. What do you think?
post #733 of 894 Old 09-01-2019, 03:22 AM
Advanced Member

My main concerns are unfixable hardware problems:
1. Crackle noises.
2. Drivers nor working- how do you test for this?
post #734 of 894 Old 09-01-2019, 05:19 AM

This may sound stupid but how can I check the sub is actually working properly? The app volume doesn’t seem to alter anything so is there any way I can easily see if it’s working.
post #735 of 894 Old 09-01-2019, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundizer17 View Post
My main concerns are unfixable hardware problems:
1. Crackle noises.
2. Drivers nor working- how do you test for this?
1. I don’t have this issue or I have not noticed it. Have you identified location of that sound? Could you tell me again what you had watched and at which volume, please? I willl try to reproduce it.
2. This would be a very welcome feature for the app. A simple 1 min test in which each driver “introduce” itself.
Soundizer17 likes this.
post #736 of 894 Old 09-01-2019, 06:34 AM

Quote:
This may sound stupid but how can I check the sub is actually working properly? The app volume doesn’t seem to alter anything so is there any way I can easily see if it’s working.
You could always meassure the sound response in your room.
Also, you can increase the sub volume in the app little by little and see if it increases low octaves in the room.
post #737 of 894 Old 09-01-2019, 06:43 AM

Quote:
You could always meassure the sound response in your room.
Also, you can increase the sub volume in the app little by little and see if it increases low octaves in the room.
The sub volume in the app seems to do nothing
post #738 of 894 Old 09-01-2019, 07:11 AM

To be honest I am not sure anything is being sent to my sub, it’s hard to tell.

Last edited by midknight4; 09-01-2019 at 08:06 AM.
post #739 of 894 Old 09-01-2019, 07:40 AM

Quote:
To be honest I am not sure anything is being sent to my sub, it’️s hard to tell.
It seems you are having the same issue I do with my wireless setup. For some reason RCA out is dead in certain scenarios. When I switched it to cable I could hear the bottom end and the sub volume in the app did work.
Now tell me, when you flipp between the Sub On and Sub Off, does your soundbar gets quieter in whole range or you just hear the bass is cut off (irelevant to your issue, but something I obeserved and believe is faulty)?
post #740 of 894 Old 09-01-2019, 07:43 AM

Quote:
The sub volume in the app seems to do nothing
Is your volume on the sub itself cranked to 100? If it is, I’m not sure adjusting the volume in the app will do anything.
post #741 of 894 Old 09-01-2019, 07:49 AM

Quote:
To be honest I am not sure anything is being sent to my sub, it’s hard to tell.
How is that possible? The speaker should be moving and air should be passing through. What brand of sub are you using?
post #742 of 894 Old 09-01-2019, 08:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
1. I don’t have this issue or I have not noticed it. Have you identified location of that sound? Could you tell me again what you had watched and at which volume, please? I willl try to reproduce it.
2. This would be a very welcome feature for the app. A simple 1 min test in which each driver “introduce” itself.
No need to test for it as it happens every 2 minutes even in standby. After about 3 hours in standby it stops, until you turn on the bar again. It is regardless of volume and even occurs at sub 27celcius.
post #743 of 894 Old 09-01-2019, 08:07 AM

Okay scrap that, sound is definitely coming from the sub after some experimentation, man when this thing is sent a decent Atmos track it sounds incredible.
post #744 of 894 Old 09-01-2019, 08:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Okay scrap that, sound is definitely coming from the sub after some experimentation, man when this thing is sent a decent Atmos track it sounds incredible.
What Sub and cable do you have?
post #745 of 894 Old 09-01-2019, 08:11 AM
Advanced Member

In Boost Ambeo mode - Movies there seems to be plenty of Base punch in my small room [15foot x 9 foot].
Not sure what I am missing out on with a Sub?
post #746 of 894 Old 09-01-2019, 09:36 AM

Quote:
What Sub and cable do you have?
I have a KEF Q400B Sub (the only survivor from my 5.1.4 set up I had before).

Cable wise I cannot remember what it’s called.
post #747 of 894 Old 09-02-2019, 04:07 AM
Advanced Member

Returned my Ambeo Bar due to the constant clicking/crackle noises every 2 minutes and even upto 3 hours post putting in standby power.

Also worried that there is no way to check if all drivers are working?
post #748 of 894 Old 09-02-2019, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Returned my Ambeo Bar due to the constant clicking/crackle noises every 2 minutes and even upto 3 hours post putting in standby power.

Also worried that there is no way to check if all drivers are working?
Thats a shame - are you going to get another one?

Mine hasn't made that noise at all (but that's not to say it won't I guess in the future).

I did receive the following from Sennhesier regarding the sub:

Important note: If a user connects a subwoofer he should run a calibration w/ and w/o the subwoofer.

The Soundbar is able to detect if a subwoofer is connected. The Sub-Out on the Soundbar includes a hardware detection. If a cable is plugged into the SW-Out, the Soundbar automatically turns into the “Soundbar + Sub mode”

Within the mode, the Soundbar cuts off all frequencies below 80Hz and feeds this into the SW Output.

It will be necessary to also run the Calibration. The calibration runs a dedicated subwoofer calibration.

This calibration will also level and adjust the Subwoofer.

 If a subwoofer is connected, and if the user start the calibration, the soundbar will automatically run the sub calibration.

Troubleshooting on the calibration aspects:

- If a cable is plugged into the SW-Out, the Soundbar runs in “Soundbar & Sub Mode”

- If the user starts the calibration, the Soundbar “levels” the Subwoofer. You can also see that on the Soundbar display “Leveling”

- If the Soundbar doesn´t “hear” any Subwoofer level within this leveling procedure, the calibration fails.

o Subwoofer turned off?

o Subwoofer volume too low?

o Crossover set to low on the subwoofer?

o Cable not plugged in correctly?

You can run the “Soundbar only”-calibration by turning off the Subwoofer in the calibration.

 Turn off Subwoofer in App

 Hold AMBEO for four seconds and run calibration.
Karthus likes this.
post #749 of 894 Old 09-02-2019, 10:22 AM

B&O is introducing some competition. IFA is going to be interesting next week for the high-end Atmos soundbar space.

https://www.engadget.com/2019/09/02/...bar-announced/
post #750 of 894 Old 09-02-2019, 05:59 PM

Quote:

Important note: If a user connects a subwoofer he should run a calibration w/ and w/o the subwoofer.

The Soundbar is able to detect if a subwoofer is connected. The Sub-Out on the Soundbar includes a hardware detection. If a cable is plugged into the SW-Out, the Soundbar automatically turns into the “Soundbar + Sub modeâ€Â

Within the mode, the Soundbar cuts off all frequencies below 80Hz and feeds this into the SW Output.
Well, mine seems to be detecting imaginary sub. Every time I switch the source or turn the app on/off it detects the subwoofer. This is extremely iritating.

I was finally able to calibrate it today after two days of failures. It kept going to leveling stage, and now I understand why.

Waiting for next fw update. I truly hope this SW detection has a bug, otherwise it will be another HW failure. So far few had reported driver failures, and there’s that cracking sound some had experienced. I am on my second one and have some 20 days left to decide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page