Sennheiser Ambeo Soundbar? - Page 28 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 171Likes

post #811 of 894 Old 09-12-2019, 09:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Shaffer View Post
I just bought the soundbar but I can’t for the life of me get it to cooperate with my TV. I have an oled b6 and have hooked up the soundbar to the hdmi ARC on the tv with the hdmi cord that came in the box. Any suggestions?
What do you mean “can’t get it to cooperate”?

It should be as straightforward as plugging it in and running the setup calibration. A description of the issue will go a long way towards being able to help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 894 Old 09-12-2019, 11:34 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 1
My bad. Should have been more descriptive. The soundbar is plugged into the arc hdmi on the oled b6 but I cannot get any sound to come out when watching live tv. I have devices plugged directly into the bar and they produce sound but no sound from live tv or any of the native apps on the tv. I’ve tried to mess around with the settings on the tv to no avail. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
post #813 of 894 Old 09-12-2019, 11:56 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
My bad. Should have been more descriptive. The soundbar is plugged into the arc hdmi on the oled b6 but I cannot get any sound to come out when watching live tv. I have devices plugged directly into the bar and they produce sound but no sound from live tv or any of the native apps on the tv. I’ve tried to mess around with the settings on the tv to no avail. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
I am having the same issue with my Optimum DVR tv box..I get picture but no sound. I was having no issues on previous Sony soundbbar.. My Android TV and Xbox work perfect and KODI is producing Atmos and DTS X flawlessly. I have my devices attached to the Ambeo HDMI 1,2,3 and then I use ARC input to connect to my 2018 LG TV HDMI/ARC input. My TV apps are also working with audio and video.. When I pull the HDMI from the ARC input on the bar the DVR audio works, once plugged back in I have picture just not audio..

I may just run the DVR to the TV HDMI 2 and use the TV speakers for live tv and keep the rest as is..

The Ambeo is working great with all devices except the DVR - I'm sure the issue is with CEC/HDMI and ARC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #814 of 894 Old 09-12-2019, 01:39 PM

Anyone know if room calibration enhancements should be turned on for calibration? Thanks.
post #815 of 894 Old 09-12-2019, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Did you run the setup calibration?
post #816 of 894 Old 09-12-2019, 08:24 PM

Ended up resetting soundbar and got it to work. Thanks
post #817 of 894 Old 09-12-2019, 11:08 PM

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strategerizer View Post
I just got the bar installed and calibrated last night; a bit disappointed in the sound...

It replaces a Bose Lifestyle v30 5.1 setup with small cubes installed in the four ceiling corners of the room a small center channel and a subwoofer I hid behind the TV. Sound is better but not by a long shot...

I played the THX intro sound and I could clearly hear all the frequencies harmonize. But it does not sound nearly as good as I would have expected at this price point and I am not getting any surround effects. I miss the rear surround sounds from the Bose rear speakers. I am also getting some boominess/resonance at some frequencies; probably due to room geometry but I thought that would have been taken care of by the microphone calibration. I'll play some more with the settings to see how I can improve the sound. I'll download the Atmos demo files to USB and play them to see how the Atmos effects play out...

I am looking to get a subwoofer to improve the low end. What would be a good match? I am looking at Monoprice Monolith 12" or Definitive Technology SuperCube 4000...

Thanks!

*** UPDATE ***
Sounds much better now, yey! I noticed an installation tip in the app; to make sure the output from TV is set to bypass rather than PCM. Did that and sound is much better with wider stage. I was on the fence but now think this is a keeper.

SHORTCOMINGS: I am disappointed that the OLED display shows the active input (e.g. HDMI 1). I can see how that may be useful when you switch inputs but otherwise the display should really show audio format (e.g. Dolby Plus, Dolby Atmos, etc.) Right now I have to keep my phone handy and open the app to look it up; quite cumbersome. This is more important to know. It flashes briefly when format changes but if you do not pay attention, display changes and there is no way to bring it back on the screen. SUGGESTION: (for Sennheiser) use a remote button to cycle through type of info to display and keep that type unless changed.

NOT INCLUDED: Some posters on this thread mentioned they received an ATMOS demo disc of some kind. My box did not include any demo disc... did yours?
Hi, glad it’s working better. No I didn’t receive any disc in mine and I have already forwarded on to Sennhesier CS a request for the OLED to display what audio it is receiving as an option instead of just the input all the time so maybe they will look into it.
post #818 of 894 Old 09-13-2019, 12:56 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello, I am from France and I have just bought the bar. my problem is that i lose dolby vision from my sources when i go through the bar. Apple TV 4K / Xbox one S -> Panasonic TV GZ1000 dolby vision hdr10 ok.
Apple TV 4K / xbox one S -> Ambeo Soundbar -> Panasonic Tv Arc
hdr10 ok but dolby vision not
An idea ?Thanks
post #819 of 894 Old 09-13-2019, 11:03 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 5
In the app, the only two codec I see when streaming movies from AppleTV 4K is PCM (2 and 6 channel) and Dolby ATMOS.

Should I be seeing more/different codecs?

I really wish I could see the sound format instead of input on the display screen. Does anyone have a contact email? I put in a request via their support website but not confident it went to the right place.
post #820 of 894 Old 09-13-2019, 11:10 AM

Liked: 5
Quote:
Anyone know if room calibration enhancements should be turned on for calibration? Thanks.
I think that setting is an on/off toggle for using the calibration settings after you have run the calibration setup.
post #821 of 894 Old 09-13-2019, 11:24 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
In the app, the only two codec I see when streaming movies from AppleTV 4K is PCM (2 and 6 channel) and Dolby ATMOS.

Should I be seeing more/different codecs?
As far as I know, the only Dolby the Apple TV decodes is Dolby Atmos. For any other codec the Ambeo bar should show PCM 6 channel, when the Apple TV is set to not change format. If it shows 2 channel PCM, your not getting surround but just stereo.

Sometimes, I have the problem that the Ambeo only recognises 2 channel PCM when in fact the Apple TV streams 5.1, though. As a workaround, you can set your Apple TV to change format. Then you see the Dolby Logo and get the extra controls that are missing in PCM mode. But then the Apple TV doesn't output Dolby Atmos.

Maybe iOS 13 will change that our a future Ambeo firmware update.
post #822 of 894 Old 09-13-2019, 02:45 PM

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 31
What would be ideal position for the listener, 2/3 distance from front to back wall? I wondered what impact the distance to back wall has to making illusion the sound comes from the back.
post #823 of 894 Old 09-14-2019, 12:32 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Just a follow up from a previous glowing review a gave this sound bar. It's still one of the best sounding soundbars I've ever heard. Until it quits working right. I've basically had nearly every problem previous posters have discussed; random turning on, unable to calibrate even after resetting, extremely buggy app after current update; inconsistent sound from sources.

I gave up. Just sent it back to the retailer. I probably spent more time than usual trying to diagnose and get this sound bar to work right since it does sound so good when it works. I bought into "its's only a software issue and it will get better with time". I'm starting to think we have hardware issues with the product also. It's just not worth the hassle to try to make work every time I use with a new problem. I appreciate the feed back from this forum. Hopefully Sennheiser will implement better quality control and fixes in the future. But for now, a big thumbs down.
post #824 of 894 Old 09-14-2019, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjl View Post
I gave up. Just sent it back to the retailer. I probably spent more time than usual trying to diagnose and get this sound bar to work right since it does sound so good when it works.
I kind of feel sorry this didn't work for you. In my case the app keeps saying I'd need to finish the setup, but other than that I have made it work, have 0 issues now and truly enjoy it. It is a best soundbar on the market.
post #825 of 894 Old 09-14-2019, 12:45 PM

Mine has developed a serious fault.

Turned on this evening and the centre channel sounds really muffled, like they are talking under a blanket. Tried resetting, re calibrating and multiple different inputs and sources but it’s all the same, sounds hardware not software. Have contacted Sennheiser and the store I purchased from but it’s really disappointing and has now made me dubious about keeping it. It does sound amazing when it works but it seems it’s incredibly fragile and maybe not developed enough yet.

Anyone else had a similar issue?

Not sure what to do now, do I get a replacement or a refund...
post #826 of 894 Old 09-14-2019, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjl View Post
Anyone else had a similar issue?

Not sure what to do now, do I get a replacement or a refund...
I had one tweeter blown in the first bar, but the second one is good. Had the same fear you do, and wondered even if it was working right now (it is a bar with, what, 13 drivers) if something went bad it could end up as a costly to repair in future.
However, I don't have any other option at the moment. I barely managed to convince my wife we would not use the fireplace at all (it's a gas fireplace so no big loss anyway), and got approval for those two F8 Rythmik subs (luckily wireless transmission works, otherwise I wouldn't be allowed to put them in). So my only option is a soundbar, and the only one that does it great is Sennheiser.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Senn.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	2615126  
midknight4 likes this.
post #827 of 894 Old 09-14-2019, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirekti View Post
I had one tweeter blown in the first bar, but the second one is good. Had the same fear you do, and wondered even if it was working right now (it is a bar with, what, 13 drivers) if something went bad it could end up as a costly to repair in future.
However, I don't have any other option at the moment. I barely managed to convince my wife we would not use the fireplace at all (it's a gas fireplace so no big loss anyway), and got approval for those two F8 Rythmik subs (luckily wireless transmission works, otherwise I wouldn't be allowed to put them in). So my only option is a soundbar, and the only one that does it great is Sennheiser.
Is that what this sounds like? A blown tweeter? It was working fine one day, switch it off, turn on the next day and muffled sound. Never had it on up loud. If it’s that susceptible to failure then I am nervous about keeping it.
mirekti likes this.
post #828 of 894 Old 09-14-2019, 01:57 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I had a blown woofer or tweeter and the sound is pretty obvious. Run the calibration process and see if you can hear a hissing or gasping for air sound.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
midknight4 likes this.
post #829 of 894 Old 09-14-2019, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuan209 View Post
I had a blown woofer or tweeter and the sound is pretty obvious. Run the calibration process and see if you can hear a hissing or gasping for air sound.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
Just sounds muffled on the centre channel, music etc sound okay.

Trying to decide what to do, it sounds fantastic when working but if it goes wrong after light use makes me feel it’s not very robust. But what are the alternatives?
post #830 of 894 Old 09-15-2019, 05:20 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Hey folks - Just picked up this soundbar. I’m replacing separates in an attempt to simplify... Had a Denon X4400H Atmos amp with 5 matching Elite up firing speakers. Also a Martin Logan sub that I’m repurposing with the new soundbar.

So far I’m very impressed. Once I ran the setup calibration I put in a Atmos demo BD and heard sounds coming from places I never did with my prior setup. Not awesome from behind but I’m in a very challenged room that’s open for most of the back and half the rear left... Still with that said the calibration worked wonders with the room and I’m keeping the Soundbar.

My only real gripe is with the app where you’re supposedly able to fine tune settings for adjustments to the sound. Not sure if I’m missing something here or if the app is just lacking?

Anyway, that’s my initial impressions...
post #831 of 894 Old 09-16-2019, 06:57 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Has any owner tried to connect an ethernet cable from a router to the soundbar. The soundbars Wifi is automatically disabled when you connect an ethernet cable to the soundbar, but I would like to know if you can control the built in chromecast with a smartphone if you got a mobile device connected to the routers wifi. Please turn off the bluetooth on your phone to make sure wifi is the only wireless transmitting. Would be very interesting to know if it works similar to the chromecast ultra with built in ethernet.

Would appreciate if someone could test this out for me, thx in advance!
post #832 of 894 Old 09-16-2019, 07:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 611 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by midknight4 View Post
Just sounds muffled on the centre channel, music etc sound okay.

Trying to decide what to do, it sounds fantastic when working but if it goes wrong after light use makes me feel it’s not very robust. But what are the alternatives?
I got my one, but thinking twice. Its sounds fantastic but the build quality troubles me especially for the price point from reading some posts.

I had the issue with app where it keeps asking me to finjish setup and also got inconsistent sound on two of the movies I tested really loud surround and could net hear the audio properly.

I don't want the thing to die on me in next few months or just out of warranty in which case I will keep my amp and speaker combo and try presuade the wife to allow me to put it up.

Sent from my Samsung Note 9 using Tapatalk

TV: Sony 65" A1E OLED Surround: Yamaha RXA3070 + Orbs Audio Mod 4/2 7.1.2 + SVS SB12-NSD Stereo: Yamaha AS500 + Kef Q300 Processor: DVDO Iscan Mini + Darbee 5000S Players: Oppo UDP-203 / Dune Solo 4K / Apple TV 4K / VU+ Ultimo 4K NAS: Qnap TVS-871 Pro i7 10GBE
post #833 of 894 Old 09-17-2019, 06:46 AM

Liked: 11
Red face Works on Ethernet with wireless Chromecast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzar View Post
Has any owner tried to connect an ethernet cable from a router to the soundbar. The soundbars Wifi is automatically disabled when you connect an ethernet cable to the soundbar, but I would like to know if you can control the built in chromecast with a smartphone if you got a mobile device connected to the routers wifi. Please turn off the bluetooth on your phone to make sure wifi is the only wireless transmitting. Would be very interesting to know if it works similar to the chromecast ultra with built in ethernet.
Yes, works as expected. That is how I have it set up. AMBEO with wired Ethernet connection. I speak to Google Assistant via phone or Google Home (Nest) speaker and controls the AMBEO. Obviously, the wired and wireless should be part of same router network.
Panzar likes this.
post #834 of 894 Old 09-17-2019, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Yes, works as expected. That is how I have it set up. AMBEO with wired Ethernet connection. I speak to Google Assistant via phone or Google Home (Nest) speaker and controls the AMBEO. Obviously, the wired and wireless should be part of same router network.

Excellent, thank you very much for you reply!

Then I do not get why Sennheiser don't give you the option to deactive BT via the IR remote. I have been in contact with their support and given them feedback, and their response is that their SMART APP, relies solely on communicating with the soundbar via BT, so naturally they wont provide an option in the smart app to deactive BT. But at least let the consumer have the option to deactive the BT in the IR remote menu, for those of us that want the only wireless source to be our own router and is not that interested in their smart app.
post #835 of 894 Old 09-17-2019, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Then I do not get why Sennheiser don't give you the option to deactive BT via the IR remote.
You can just ignore it; you do not have to use it. I avoid playing music via Bluetooth because it compresses and degrades the signal but otherwise do not care if Bluetooth is on. What is your concern?
post #836 of 894 Old 09-17-2019, 08:46 AM

Quote:
You can just ignore it; you do not have to use it. I avoid playing music via Bluetooth because it compresses and degrades the signal but otherwise do not care if Bluetooth is on. What is your concern?

1. 2.4GHz band is already highly congested as it is, so I would like to turn things off I don't have use for.

2. Safety protocol is inferior compared to having the soundbar connected to a properly setup router.

3. Interference with other appliances can occur, and there is no possibility to lower signal strength on the BT compared to a router that gives you full control over both signal strength, bandsteering etc.

Some cheaper options gives the consumer the freedom to choose how they want to setup things, but the soundbar that is suppose to rule them all limits your choice. Easy thing to fix if they want too, and they should, considering the price they charge for it!
post #837 of 894 Old 09-17-2019, 09:38 AM

Question Play Amazon Music Ultra HD?

Amazon announced new tiers of music streaming service that play HD and Ultra HD[ (High-Res 24-bit/192kHz). Anyone know how to get the highest quality 240bit/192kHz to play through the AMBEO soundbar?

Can the soundbar pull it directly from the Internet via the Ethernet/Wi-Fi network or do I need some other device to feed it through the optical or HDMI connection?
post #838 of 894 Old 09-17-2019, 09:44 AM

Quote:
1. 2.4GHz band is already highly congested as it is, so I would like to turn things off I don't have use for.

2. Safety protocol is inferior compared to having the soundbar connected to a properly setup router.

3. Interference with other appliances can occur, and there is no possibility to lower signal strength on the BT compared to a router that gives you full control over both signal strength, bandsteering etc.

Some cheaper options gives the consumer the freedom to choose how they want to setup things, but the soundbar that is suppose to rule them all limits your choice. Easy thing to fix if they want too, and they should, considering the price they charge for it!
Got it; good points. Thanks for clarification.
post #839 of 894 Old 09-17-2019, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Amazon announced new tiers of music streaming service that play HD and Ultra HD[ (High-Res 24-bit/192kHz). Anyone know how to get the highest quality 240bit/192kHz to play through the AMBEO soundbar?

Can the soundbar pull it directly from the Internet via the Ethernet/Wi-Fi network or do I need some other device to feed it through the optical or HDMI connection?
The bar cannot pull anything directly and you cannot “cast” to the bar with those higher bitrates over BT

My suggestion would be streaming from the amazon music app on an Apple TV or similar device (if it is even available).

Bottom line is you will need to connect some sort of external device as the source.
post #840 of 894 Old 09-18-2019, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Got it; good points. Thanks for clarification.

Thx!

Another thing, Regarding the SMART-app, that I guess the development team would prefer the customer to use. I think it's a bit odd that the app only support BT for communication with the soundbar. Why not add WIFI support, and give the customer the freedom of choice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page