Sennheiser Ambeo Soundbar? - Page 29 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 171Likes

post #841 of 890 Old 09-18-2019, 01:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by glide2flip View Post
The bar cannot pull anything directly and you cannot “cast” to the bar with those higher bitrates over BT

My suggestion would be streaming from the amazon music app on an Apple TV or similar device (if it is even available).

Bottom line is you will need to connect some sort of external device as the source.
Thanks for clarifying that the cast to the soundbar happens over Bluetooth for Amazon Music. When I use to cast from Amazon Music app the soundbar shows codec as PCM.

I have used Google Chromecast previously and I believe that allows the device that supports it (something like "Google Cast built-in") to pull directly from the Internet.

But casting from the Amazon Music app on my phone to the soundbar likely is transmitted locally over Bluetooth, which impacts sound quality. Luckily the Amazon Music app on my phone also sees as a target my LG OLED65C9PUA WebOS TV. When I use that target (and the TV send audio to the soundbar via eARC) the soundbar shows codec as Dolby Digital 5.1 (something like that in the app, Dolby something... and shows the Dolby logo on the soundbar display).

But there is no way to see if it is 24-bit/96kHZ (highest level supported by Amazon Music UHD tracks) or it gets down-converted. Also, not clear to me which device does the processing into Dolby Digital signal... I assume that is not in the original track from Amazon Music so it must be the LG TV or AMBEO soundbar???

BTW, have not used the Amazon/Alexa ecosystem before (more into Google ecosystem) and I am quite impressed at how well it work, intuitive, etc. But still trying to figure out if I get an Amazon Music subscription tier that includes UHD music (24-bit/96kHz) how I can get it to play at highest fidelity via the Sennheiser AMBEO soundbar!

Last edited by Strategerizer; 09-18-2019 at 01:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #842 of 890 Old 09-20-2019, 03:52 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Hi

my current system is
klipsch rp500m + rp500C as center + SVS pb1000 sub + yamaha 385 receiver

i am considering buying the Sennheiser Ambeo soundbar due to space limitation to upgrade

but with this current setup to Sennheiser Ambeo soundbar is it an upgrade or downgrade in watching movies experience and sound quality ?
post #843 of 890 Old 09-20-2019, 12:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmadss View Post
Hi

my current system is

klipsch rp500m + rp500C as center + SVS pb1000 sub + yamaha 385 receiver

i am considering buying the Sennheiser Ambeo soundbar due to space limitation to upgrade

but with this current setup to Sennheiser Ambeo soundbar is it an upgrade or downgrade in watching movies experience and sound quality ?

It will be different. Klipsch features horn loaded drivers which are very forward. The sound of the Ambeo is much more diffuse and non-directional. It will also be smoother, which I personally prefer, but some feel this sort of presentation is less detailed. You can still use your sub with the Ambeo, so you shouldn’t notice much difference in that category. I went from horn loaded PSA speakers and subs to the Ambeo alone, and I was quite surprised how little I was giving up. It really is very capable on its own. There are some software issues being worked out, but that is true of most any current device. Hope it works out for you...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #844 of 890 Old 09-22-2019, 11:07 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Three settings questions for people under the Codec section in the app.

Should Dolby DRC be set to Auto?

Should Dialog Normalization be turned on?

Should Dolby Virtualizer be turner on?

Thanks!
post #845 of 890 Old 09-22-2019, 06:27 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Just tried to run the calibration and it failed over and over. Tried 8 or 10 times. I successfully ran it when I brought it home last weekend...

Do I have a faulty soundbar?
post #846 of 890 Old 09-23-2019, 07:26 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am looking at buying next month either Sonance SB46-75 or the AMBEO to go under LG OLED 77 C9.

This is a living room setup (large room, 18x18 with 20ft ceilings), would have Denon X3600H powering the Sonance, but if use AMBEO no Denon would be purchased. Just using the LG + Apple 4kTV + Xbox OneX. I like idea that AMBEO may negate need for a subwoofer too, but I have a spot for a 12" sealed if later determine its needed.

The AMBEO at $2500 is cheaper than the combined Sonance SB46-75 ($2000) and Denon X3600 ($1000).

Which combination would sound better for casual TV, late night movies, and stereo music to fill the large space?

Thanks!

Sonance SB46 speaker info:
Tweeter: Three 1” (25mm) powder coated aluminum domes, Ferrofluid-cooled, chambered
Midrange: Three 4” (102mm) Kevlar / Nomex laminated cones with rubber surrounds
Woofer: Six 4 1/2” (114mm) Kevlar / Nomex laminated cones with rubber surrounds
Recommended Power: 50 watts minimum; 150 watts maximum
Frequency response 90 Hz to 20 kHz (Manual says put LFE to 100Hz)

AMBEO speaker info:
Five 1" tweeter, aluminium dome tweeter
Two 3.5" fullrange driver (top-firing)
Six 4" longthrow woofer, cellulose sandwich cone
Frequency response 30 Hz to 20 kHz

https://www.sonance.com/assets/media..._V2_020217.pdf

Last edited by unisold; 09-23-2019 at 07:32 AM.
post #847 of 890 Old 09-25-2019, 03:06 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Shaffer View Post

Thanks!
Those settings all depend on your listening preference.
post #848 of 890 Old 09-25-2019, 07:43 PM

Liked: 5
New Firmware for the sound bar is out tonight. Anyone install and/or have any feedback?

Edit: Oddly, the website still shows the 16 firmware but the app is asking me to update.

2nd Edit: Well screw it...I updated the firmware. 1.0.119 (wasn't that the original firmware?). No issues with install. I notice that on the Smartapp, it now drops the very long serial number after "Ambeo Scounbar" on the homescreen, but maybe that happened with the last app update. Nothing obvious so far. Curious what the changes and corrections were.

Last edited by [email protected]; 09-25-2019 at 08:46 PM.
post #849 of 890 Old 09-26-2019, 09:28 AM

Don’t install the new firmware! I have lip sync issues. A weird screeching noise when trying to adjust lip sync that required a reset to stop. Problems logging on to the soundbar armored reset.

Don’t do it!
post #850 of 890 Old 09-26-2019, 12:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 611 Post(s)
Liked: 197
I updated the firmware to the latest and watched half a movie and did not experience any issues so far.

Sent from my Samsung Note 9 using Tapatalk
patrick israel likes this.

TV: Sony 65" A1E OLED Surround: Yamaha RXA3070 + Orbs Audio Mod 4/2 7.1.2 + SVS SB12-NSD Stereo: Yamaha AS500 + Kef Q300 Processor: DVDO Iscan Mini + Darbee 5000S Players: Oppo UDP-203 / Dune Solo 4K / Apple TV 4K / VU+ Ultimo 4K NAS: Qnap TVS-871 Pro i7 10GBE
post #851 of 890 Old 09-26-2019, 07:37 PM

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I did not trigger the firmware 119 installation, it installed itslef. Is there a way do disable automatic updates? This scares me a bit. 🙂
It would be nice if Senn provided a log of what was fixed in 119 release.
No lip sync issues here too. Using Apple TV -> Sony A9G (eARC) -> (eARC) Senn
patrick israel likes this.
post #852 of 890 Old 09-26-2019, 11:04 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
post #853 of 890 Old 09-26-2019, 11:06 PM

post #854 of 890 Old 09-26-2019, 11:08 PM

post #855 of 890 Old 09-27-2019, 02:31 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Do you guys think that there will be a new Ambeo Soundbar that supports 8K in 2020 ?
post #856 of 890 Old 09-27-2019, 10:37 AM

1 - my new issue for today is that I can’t connect via the smartapp until I stop playing music. The only problem is that there is no music playing from any source.

2 - for the most part, support has been great! The exception is the display issue.

“Unfortunately, the current configuration shows the source, as most users need to be able to identify where the audio is coming from more urgently than they need to know the format. The current format being played is displayed in the app.”

I replied that once I have the correct source, it doesn’t change so I don’t need it continually displayed. What does change is audio. Switching from Hulu to iTunes or even within iTunes I can have multiple audio sources. Not sure why they are so hung up on input source.

I would suggest that, if you’d like to see audio displayed, you be vocal about it.

In the app, menu (upper left), Feedback, No. A pre-filled form pops up, just add your comments.
post #857 of 890 Old 09-27-2019, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meher View Post
Do you guys think that there will be a new Ambeo Soundbar that supports 8K in 2020 ?
Hopefully I’m not stating the obvious, but the easy answer appears to be to route the 8K Source to 8K TV. TV to Soundbar. Viola!?!
post #858 of 890 Old 09-27-2019, 10:42 PM

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Shaffer View Post

Thanks!
These are personal choice. I tend to have DRC on auto but dialogue Normalisation is totally down to content at a particular time. Try it if you are struggling to hear the dialogue, mostly I have it off.

Dolby Virtualiser is only available if the Ambeo setting is off so I can’t really see it being of any use plus when I have turned it to see it sounds awful.
post #859 of 890 Old 09-28-2019, 11:55 AM

I’m rehooking up my 2 week old Ambeo soundbar after getting new flooring and can’t seem to run the calibration. It fails every time.

I’m also unable to find the soundbar on the app. When I try to connect it it shows it as an option, says connecting and then says not found!

This is very frustrating as this all worked a week ago... I’m ready to return the soundbar.
Anyone with any insight into why this thing has suddenly turned on me? 😡
post #860 of 890 Old 09-28-2019, 02:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked: 318
As I don't have an Ambeo, this is conjecture on my part.

If this is controlled by your phone, can you create a new profile for the Ambeo? In other words, as in the case of disconnected Bluetooth devices, for example, it's often useful to delete the prior profile, and start fresh.

It's possible the Ambeo didn't like being disconnected. Everybody's moody nowadays.
post #861 of 890 Old 09-28-2019, 04:05 PM

Yeah. Tried that too...

It’s weird in that it seems to find the Ambeo and says it’s connecting but just searches and searches and never stops.
post #862 of 890 Old 09-28-2019, 08:16 PM

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I hope Sennheiser is able to fix the display light. One can completely switch off the Ambeo sign, but main display stays on even thought the button is pulled all the way left in the app.
Ideally, there should be three/four options.

1. Display On/Off
2. Display brightness
3. Ambeo On/Off
4. Ambeo brightness

2 and 4 control the level of brightness while 1 and 3 when in Off Mode keeps the display off, but on pressing any button the display would go on for 3-5 seconds at levels set in 2 and 4, and then back off.

I hope this is possibe, it should be. I’ll suggest this to tech support. Anyone with another view on this?
Strategerizer and New24K like this.
post #863 of 890 Old 09-28-2019, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4K Guy View Post
Hey folks - Just picked up this soundbar. I’m replacing separates in an attempt to simplify... Had a Denon X4400H Atmos amp with 5 matching Elite up firing speakers. Also a Martin Logan sub that I’m repurposing with the new soundbar.

So far I’m very impressed. Once I ran the setup calibration I put in a Atmos demo BD and heard sounds coming from places I never did with my prior setup. Not awesome from behind but I’m in a very challenged room that’s open for most of the back and half the rear left... Still with that said the calibration worked wonders with the room and I’m keeping the Soundbar.

My only real gripe is with the app where you’re supposedly able to fine tune settings for adjustments to the sound. Not sure if I’m missing something here or if the app is just lacking?

Anyway, that’s my initial impressions...
Well this all went bad quickly... nothing works anymore. Can’t calibrate. Can get the app to find the soundbar.

Anyone been able to get ahold of a tech at Sennheiser? Is there a phone number I can call?
post #864 of 890 Old 09-29-2019, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4K Guy View Post
I’m rehooking up my 2 week old Ambeo soundbar after getting new flooring and can’t seem to run the calibration. It fails every time.

I’m also unable to find the soundbar on the app. When I try to connect it it shows it as an option, says connecting and then says not found!

This is very frustrating as this all worked a week ago... I’m ready to return the soundbar.
Anyone with any insight into why this thing has suddenly turned on me? 😡
For me, I deleted all reference to the soundbar in my Bluetooth settings. I uninstalled the smart app, rebooted my phone (iOS 13.1.1) and reinstalled the app. I unplugged the soundbar for 30 minutes. Everything worked as expected. Oh, only have the smart app on one phone.

For support, in the app go to menu upper left. Then Feednack. Then No - Send feedback and you are presented with a form.

It’s all very buggy, but it’s also 1st gen and new. And the sound makes up for, what I am hoping, are growing pains.
post #865 of 890 Old 09-29-2019, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
For me, I deleted all reference to the soundbar in my Bluetooth settings. I uninstalled the smart app, rebooted my phone (iOS 13.1.1) and reinstalled the app. I unplugged the soundbar for 30 minutes. Everything worked as expected. Oh, only have the smart app on one phone.

For support, in the app go to menu upper left. Then Feednack. Then No - Send feedback and you are presented with a form.

It’s all very buggy, but it’s also 1st gen and new. And the sound makes up for, what I am hoping, are growing pains.
Okay. I’ve unhooked everything and deleted the app and Bluetooth and rebooted my phone... will try setting everything backup in a few hours.
post #866 of 890 Old 09-29-2019, 12:54 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Can I run Atmos via Apple TV

Hello, I have an older generation LG OLED TV which doesn't have E-ARC HDMI so I don't think I can get Atmos directly from the TV to the Sennheiser soundbar. But I do have an Apple TV which can play Atmos. So my question is that if I just use one of the HDMI inputs to the Apple TV, will I be able to get Dolby Atmos? Thanks!
post #867 of 890 Old 09-29-2019, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adiraval View Post
Hello, I have an older generation LG OLED TV which doesn't have E-ARC HDMI so I don't think I can get Atmos directly from the TV to the Sennheiser soundbar. But I do have an Apple TV which can play Atmos. So my question is that if I just use one of the HDMI inputs to the Apple TV, will I be able to get Dolby Atmos? Thanks!
I route Apple TV, blu ray to Ambeo then single hdmi to tv. I get Atmos this way.
post #868 of 890 Old 09-29-2019, 03:49 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Hopefully I’m not stating the obvious, but the easy answer appears to be to route the 8K Source to 8K TV. TV to Soundbar. Viola!?!
In this case, the TV (Samsung Q950) doesn't support eARC, so there will be no Dolby Atmos sent to the soundbar.
post #869 of 890 Old 09-29-2019, 10:36 PM

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirekti View Post
I hope Sennheiser is able to fix the display light. One can completely switch off the Ambeo sign, but main display stays on even thought the button is pulled all the way left in the app.

1. Display On/Off
2. Display brightness
3. Ambeo On/Off
4. Ambeo brightness

2 and 4 control the level of brightness while 1 and 3 when in Off Mode keeps the display off, but on pressing any button the display would go on for 3-5 seconds at levels set in 2 and 4, and then back off.

I hope this is possibe, it should be. I’ll suggest this to tech support. Anyone with another view on this?
Have you tried renaming the inputs but leaving them blank so nothing would theoretically show up on the display (if it’s turning it off that you want).
post #870 of 890 Old 10-01-2019, 09:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2453 Post(s)
Liked: 1170
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirekti View Post

1. Display On/Off
2. Display brightness
3. Ambeo On/Off
4. Ambeo brightness

Agreed.

So the display doesn't go dark after, say, 15 seconds of inactivity...?

Shopping List:
TV: LG C9/C10, or Samsung Q90R, or Sony ...
Blu-ray: Panasonic UB820, or Pioneer Elite LX500, or Sony X800M
AVR/Pre-pro: Marantz 8805/7705 or 8012, or Yamaha 5200 or 3080
Speakers: GE Triton One.R, or ML ElectroMotion ESL X
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page