Sennheiser Ambeo Soundbar? - Page 34 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 321Likes

post #991 of 1341 Old 12-15-2019, 05:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hi I also have the C9 OLED and just got the ambeo soundbar. Set up initially went smoothly with mic and google home. then updated the firmware and couldn't connect to the sennheiser app anymore. Tried resetting the system with the button in the back and was able to briefly connect back to the app but once the app closed and opened up again, the connection was lost. It keeps telling me to quit music playback and reopen, but I do not have anything playing in the background. Only connection from the soundbar is to the TV ARC. Contacted support team, and was told to reboot the iphone and delete app and reinstall but did not work. Let me know if anyone has the same issue. Thanks

My LG remote seems to control the volume and on/off fine. Although there's an option to link the soundbar during set up on the TV but there's no option for sennheiser and search didn't show anything.
stefantimm likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 1341 Old 12-16-2019, 12:25 PM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Has anyone heard if they plan on updating the display input so that you can see what audio format you are getting instead of the hdmi input. Is it always being on really that distracting as some mentioned? Thank you.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
post #993 of 1341 Old 12-17-2019, 05:26 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 7
There are no plans to add this feature.

I suggest requesting the change. It’s pretty easy to add requests via the sennheiser app. Menu upper left, feedback, no - send feedback.

“ Our Product Management Team is always conducting market research to further improve our products and determine what features and functions are necessary for the target audience for a particular product. In some instances a specific feature would be nice to have but cannot be added due to technology constraints or partnership agreements between different companies. This is an ever evolving process. Right now there are no documented plans to add this feature, but it is possible it may be added down the line.

I apologize for any inconvenience, and have a good afternoon.”
a5ian300zx and TheDuke1980 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #994 of 1341 Old 12-17-2019, 07:57 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 131
I asked Sennheiser to add Airplay support and also wireless rear speakers, but sounds like there are no plans for those to be added either. Airplay only makes sense, as they are catering towards a higher end customer and a lot would be using Apple Products. Weird...

Sony A9G 77
post #995 of 1341 Old 12-17-2019, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Hi, I have a problem with my ambeo soundbar connected to my LG B7 (65') via HDMI ARC and hope to find someone who can confirm such problem or find a solution!
The soundbar worked without any problems for a month. After that no matter if I was playing Netflix or YouTube, everytime time when Ambeo was ON the dialogues and voices were very deep (like talking through a can). I hear the issue mainly from the center speakers. In general the music is played with problems, space is created in AMBEO Mode, but as soon as someone starts to 'talk' it's impossible to keep it turned on. I have this problem when connected to HDMI Arc (I checked 3 different HDMI cables) and today I confirmed that it exists also when connected via Optical.
What is weird is that Ambeo Mode (via Optical) works ok if I choose Audio Output: Optical. As soon as I change it to Audio Output: Optical/HDMI Arc (having only optical cable connected) the issue with the weird sound of voices appear. I've send the soundbar back for repair but they claim everything is ok.
Im wondering if LG messed up especially that I already replaced one mainboard in it (5 months ago) because of YouTube and Netflix streaming issues in WebOS.
Also I can confirm that I experience the audio dropouts too but it's very random. 10 times within 5 minutes or none at all for 4 days straight. Thanks for any advice!
post #996 of 1341 Old 12-19-2019, 08:02 AM

Just an FYI for anyone thinking about buying this, Neiman Marcus sells them, you can get 15% off your first order if you sign up for their emails. Also Ebates has 10% cash back going through their site right now. Neiman Marcus is also offering a $300 gift card promo. By far the best deal I've seen. I just ordered mine.
doubleroll and glide2flip like this.
post #997 of 1341 Old 12-19-2019, 01:13 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by annisman View Post
Did you guys get a FW update for the Ambeo recently??
I got one recently. Looks like they finally added the ability to assign input names within the app.

Now if they would only allow us to see which codec is being used on the display.
post #998 of 1341 Old 12-20-2019, 08:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 990 Post(s)
Liked: 993
And allow the display to be fully dimmed, if desired

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #999 of 1341 Old 12-23-2019, 09:46 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Angry Same issue here.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Wisniewski View Post
Hi, I have a problem with my ambeo soundbar connected to my LG B7 (65') via HDMI ARC and hope to find someone who can confirm such problem or find a solution!
The soundbar worked without any problems for a month. After that no matter if I was playing Netflix or YouTube, everytime time when Ambeo was ON the dialogues and voices were very deep (like talking through a can). I hear the issue mainly from the center speakers. In general the music is played with problems, space is created in AMBEO Mode, but as soon as someone starts to 'talk' it's impossible to keep it turned on. I have this problem when connected to HDMI Arc (I checked 3 different HDMI cables) and today I confirmed that it exists also when connected via Optical.
What is weird is that Ambeo Mode (via Optical) works ok if I choose Audio Output: Optical. As soon as I change it to Audio Output: Optical/HDMI Arc (having only optical cable connected) the issue with the weird sound of voices appear. I've send the soundbar back for repair but they claim everything is ok.
Im wondering if LG messed up especially that I already replaced one mainboard in it (5 months ago) because of YouTube and Netflix streaming issues in WebOS.
Also I can confirm that I experience the audio dropouts too but it's very random. 10 times within 5 minutes or none at all for 4 days straight. Thanks for any advice!
It seems that I run into the same issue today.. The problem with the voices especially if People talk it sounds not normal anymore. It works for a few month without issues. I cannot believe that‘‘s a normal. I‘ll keep investigating...
post #1000 of 1341 Old 12-23-2019, 10:10 AM

Same issues with me. I am returning mine. Seems like a good Soundbar, but after all the comparisons between the Beam/Playbar, Sub, Rears setups, everyone I have over can not here any huge differences. Guessing cathedral ceilings we have, do not help the Ambeo. In our situation, definitely not worth the huge difference in price.

Sony A9G 77
post #1001 of 1341 Old 12-23-2019, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaimelc View Post
It seems that I run into the same issue today.. The problem with the voices especially if People talk it sounds not normal anymore. It works for a few month without issues. I cannot believe that‘‘s a normal. I‘ll keep investigating...
Dang, just got mine in. Haven't had a chance to set it up yet. Have you guys contacted customer support?
post #1002 of 1341 Old 12-23-2019, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregF2 View Post
Same issues with me. I am returning mine. Seems like a good Soundbar, but after all the comparisons between the Beam/Playbar, Sub, Rears setups, everyone I have over can not here any huge differences. Guessing cathedral ceilings we have, do not help the Ambeo. In our situation, definitely not worth the huge difference in price.
I have an open floor plan, I was hoping the room calibration might help with the surround effects. My Sony ST5000 is good, but no surround effects. I don't have an option for rear speakers though so Ambeo may be the best I can do.
GregF2 likes this.
post #1003 of 1341 Old 12-23-2019, 10:46 AM

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDuke1980 View Post
Dang, just got mine in. Haven't had a chance to set it up yet. Have you guys contacted customer support?
Yes, I have just opened a service case....
TheDuke1980 likes this.
post #1004 of 1341 Old 12-23-2019, 10:58 AM

Quote:
I have twice. They are great to work with. I could live with it, if the sound was much better than the Sonos 5.1 systems I was also testing. I am guessing without the cathedral ceiling and open floor plan that it would be much better, especially Atmos. It does have better depth than the Sonos, but everything is close. Of course, Sonos is doing it with a soundbar, sub and rears, but still less than half the price (Black Friday prices).
TheDuke1980 likes this.
post #1005 of 1341 Old 12-23-2019, 01:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 990 Post(s)
Liked: 993
Quote:
I have twice. They are great to work with. I could live with it, if the sound was much better than the Sonos 5.1 systems I was also testing. I am guessing without the cathedral ceiling and open floor plan that it would be much better, especially Atmos. It does have better depth than the Sonos, but everything is close. Of course, Sonos is doing it with a soundbar, sub and rears, but still less than half the price (Black Friday prices).

Also, the Sonos can’t decode Atmos or DTS:X and no HDMI switching. To me, that’s a significant difference

TheDuke1980 likes this.
post #1006 of 1341 Old 12-23-2019, 02:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Quote:

You put your finger on it. The cathedral ceilings alone will diffract any up firing sounds, introducing cancellation effects that essentially wipes out your sound. The open floor plan, similarly, plays havoc with reflection. You definitely need discrete drivers all around you, and above you (ceiling mounted) if you want Atmos or DTS height.
GregF2 likes this.
post #1007 of 1341 Old 12-23-2019, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthnut View Post
Also, the Sonos can’t decode Atmos or DTS:X and no HDMI switching. To me, that’s a significant difference

Agree with you, but in my setting those codecs do little to make audio better and why the Sonos Beam/Playbar, Sub and Rears sound as good. Wish it was different, but after extensive testing it is not.
post #1008 of 1341 Old 12-24-2019, 06:30 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Is anyone else still having housing creaking issues with their ambeo? I’m on my 6th soundbar and unfortunately, this one still has some housing creaking while the unit is in use.

After contacting Sennheiser USA support, Lachlan, their product expert, actually had the audacity to suggest I ‘raise the unit to get better airflow and perhaps add a cooling fan near the unit.’ So... for a $2,499.95 product, which is supposed to be cutting edge, they didn’t have the foresight to take proper cooling into consideration? Where did they conduct R&D? Siberia?

Unfortunately, the return period on my Power Sound Audio sub is long since closed, and there really aren’t any other high-end soundbars that are compatible with a wired sub, so I feel like I’m stuck with the ambeo in its compromised state.
post #1009 of 1341 Old 12-24-2019, 07:15 AM

I was getting crackling too and could never solve it. Was not all the time, but enough that it was bothersome. The soundbar does get very hot.

Sony A9G 77
post #1010 of 1341 Old 12-24-2019, 10:55 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
GregF2 mentions what may be a symptom associated with crackling. My wall mounted Ambeo has been on 3 hrs and it is barely warm to the touch. I wonder if some have a defect that causes over-heating that leads to the crackling sound. Maybe people with this problem should ask the Sennheiser folks. FWIW, I've had mine for only a few weeks but it never crackles or suffers drop-outs.
post #1011 of 1341 Old 12-25-2019, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchassy View Post
GregF2 mentions what may be a symptom associated with crackling. My wall mounted Ambeo has been on 3 hrs and it is barely warm to the touch. I wonder if some have a defect that causes over-heating that leads to the crackling sound. Maybe people with this problem should ask the Sennheiser folks. FWIW, I've had mine for only a few weeks but it never crackles or suffers drop-outs.
That is interesting that yours is barely warm. Maybe mine was defective. I saw some users on Avforums also reporting that it got very hot. Seems like quality control on such expensive units is not very good. Too bad, as would make the user experience much better and probably live up to expectations.
post #1012 of 1341 Old 12-25-2019, 07:07 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
That is interesting that yours is barely warm. Maybe mine was defective. I saw some users on Avforums also reporting that it got very hot. Seems like quality control on such expensive units is not very good. Too bad, as would make the user experience much better and probably live up to expectations.
I just returned mine yesterday. Tried everything under the sun to stop the audio dropouts (new cables, new streaming devices, new cable modem, sennheiser support). This was my second one. The first did not have dropouts but it wouldn't calibrate after moving. This one had dropouts from the beginning. This is an amazing sound bar when it works, but I've started to resign to the fact that certain units do have trouble. Going to stick with good ole 7.1 setup and convince the wife it looks great in the family room. Have zero problems with that setup.
post #1013 of 1341 Old 12-27-2019, 03:02 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaimelc View Post
Yes, I have just opened a service case....
Over the next few days I will test my soundbar again with a brand new LG B9 so we will see if there are same sound issues and problems with the Ambeo ON or it's my faulty HDMI ARC/TV.
post #1014 of 1341 Old 12-27-2019, 08:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Anyone that has a external subwoofer connected to the soundbar, have you tried watching content with it ON and then OFF (under settings within phone app).

I find the dialogue gets clearer with the external subwoofer set to OFF.

And just to make sure I recalibrated the setup again yesterday.

I still prefer it with the sub due to lower extension of bass.

Sent from my Samsung Note 9 using Tapatalk

TV: Sony 65" A1E OLED Surround: Sennheiser AMBEO + SVS SB12-NSD Stereo: Yamaha AS500 + Kef Q300 Processor: DVDO Iscan Mini + Darbee 5000S Players: Oppo 203 (Coris) / Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2019 / VU+ Ultimo 4K NAS: Qnap TVS-871 Pro i7 10GBE
post #1015 of 1341 Old 12-27-2019, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a5ian300zx View Post
Anyone that has a external subwoofer connected to the soundbar, have you tried watching content with it ON and then OFF (under settings within phone app).

I find the dialogue gets clearer with the external subwoofer set to OFF.

And just to make sure I recalibrated the setup again yesterday.

I still prefer it with the sub due to lower extension of bass.

Hopefully you can tweek the settings. My sub gets in next week, keep us updated. I'm not impressed with the bass at all without a sub.

a5ian300zx likes this.
post #1016 of 1341 Old 12-27-2019, 11:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:
Hopefully you can tweek the settings. My sub gets in next week, keep us updated. I'm not impressed with the bass at all without a sub.

I have tweaked it to an extented with the movie setting and prefer the boost setting as it give more surround effect and then tweaking the eq a bit for clearer audio but most my viewing is in the evening when the kids are in bed and hence I don't want it to loud (around 12 volume) but clear.

Will test it tonight hopefully but knowing me I will still be tweaking it for next few days at least until I find a setting I am happy with.

With the subwoofer setting switched to off the soundbar goes down to 30hz with the setting switched on the onboard subwoofer goes down to 80hz and the rest sent to external sub.

So if you don't have a sub make sure the settings is switched off otherwise it will be a lack of bass.

Thanks

Mr Bookshelf and TheDuke1980 like this.

TV: Sony 65" A1E OLED Surround: Sennheiser AMBEO + SVS SB12-NSD Stereo: Yamaha AS500 + Kef Q300 Processor: DVDO Iscan Mini + Darbee 5000S Players: Oppo 203 (Coris) / Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2019 / VU+ Ultimo 4K NAS: Qnap TVS-871 Pro i7 10GBE
post #1017 of 1341 Old 12-27-2019, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a5ian300zx View Post
I have tweaked it to an extented with the movie setting and prefer the boost setting as it give more surround effect and then tweaking the eq a bit for clearer audio but most my viewing is in the evening when the kids are in bed and hence I don't want it to loud (around 12 volume) but clear.

Will test it tonight hopefully but knowing me I will still be tweaking it for next few days at least until I find a setting I am happy with.

With the subwoofer setting switched to off the soundbar goes down to 30hz with the setting switched on the onboard subwoofer goes down to 80hz and the rest sent to external sub.

So if you don't have a sub make sure the settings is switched off otherwise it will be a lack of bass.

Thanks

I just got it hooked up last night. I did check to make sure sub was selected off in the app. But it sure seemed to lack bass. I'll try to mess around with it some more

post #1018 of 1341 Old 12-27-2019, 06:36 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjl View Post
I just returned mine yesterday. Tried everything under the sun to stop the audio dropouts (new cables, new streaming devices, new cable modem, sennheiser support). This was my second one. The first did not have dropouts but it wouldn't calibrate after moving. This one had dropouts from the beginning. This is an amazing sound bar when it works, but I've started to resign to the fact that certain units do have trouble. Going to stick with good ole 7.1 setup and convince the wife it looks great in the family room. Have zero problems with that setup.
I've stopped the audio dropouts on mine - may or may not be helpful. I stream music via HDMI through my AppleTV directly into the Ambeo. Due to CEC being enabled in the past when I've turned on the AppleTV it has also turned the monitor on and I've had the Apple screen savers accompany the music. A day or so back I changed that so that CEC is off and I just have the ATV streaming audio and no monitor. That change resulted in me getting dropouts every 20 seconds or so. Just turned the monitor on (no other changes) haven't had a dropout in the last hour. For the record CEC on the ATV is still off.

I know my situation is very specific but perhaps it might be of help to someone.
post #1019 of 1341 Old 12-28-2019, 10:37 AM

Well after setting mine up I'm extremely frustrated. Many of the issues mentioned in this forum and others have been absolutely true in my experience. I was hoping they were isolated but doesn't look that way. I just contacted support :

"From the very beginning the app has not worked correctly. App sends me to Google home to connect to internet, once connected, back to the app and it won't recognize or pair with the soundbar. Delete both apps, Repeat, same issue. Third time is the charm. I changed nothing, it just decided to work this time. Calibration, the next headache. Follow instructions to a tee, failed. Restart the bar, failed to calibrate. Rinse, repeat. 10+ attempts all fail. There is nothing blocking the mic, Googled all possible issues, nothing works I give up. Retry a few hours later. Still a few fails but finally it decides to finish the calibration-again I changed nothing, it should have worked the first time, not 15 tries and hours later. The nightmare continues. Every single time I use the app it makes me get up and press the two buttons on the bar like the initial setup did as if I've never been connected before. Or it just won't recognize the bar and I can't use the app at all, pick your poison. I have also experienced multiple audio drop outs - apple 4k TV hooked to bar and earc hooked from bar to TV. All high quality cables rated 18gbs etc. Had the exact same setup with Sony ST5000 with zero issues. It's the bar. I got a lemon or you guys are putting out a product not ready for prime time. I'm regretting my $2500 purchase. On a side note there is almost no bass either, like no way it would be acceptable wo adding a subwoofer. Reviews I've read were impressed with the bass so I'm really starting to think I got a defective unit, please help. Thank you "

I'll update when they respond and if I happen to find any fixes to the issues.
post #1020 of 1341 Old 12-28-2019, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Well after setting mine up I'm extremely frustrated. Many of the issues mentioned in this forum and others have been absolutely true in my experience. I was hoping they were isolated but doesn't look that way. I just contacted support :

"From the very beginning the app has not worked correctly. App sends me to Google home to connect to internet, once connected, back to the app and it won't recognize or pair with the soundbar. Delete both apps, Repeat, same issue. Third time is the charm. I changed nothing, it just decided to work this time. Calibration, the next headache. Follow instructions to a tee, failed. Restart the bar, failed to calibrate. Rinse, repeat. 10+ attempts all fail. There is nothing blocking the mic, Googled all possible issues, nothing works I give up. Retry a few hours later. Still a few fails but finally it decides to finish the calibration-again I changed nothing, it should have worked the first time, not 15 tries and hours later. The nightmare continues. Every single time I use the app it makes me get up and press the two buttons on the bar like the initial setup did as if I've never been connected before. Or it just won't recognize the bar and I can't use the app at all, pick your poison. I have also experienced multiple audio drop outs - apple 4k TV hooked to bar and earc hooked from bar to TV. All high quality cables rated 18gbs etc. Had the exact same setup with Sony ST5000 with zero issues. It's the bar. I got a lemon or you guys are putting out a product not ready for prime time. I'm regretting my $2500 purchase. On a side note there is almost no bass either, like no way it would be acceptable wo adding a subwoofer. Reviews I've read were impressed with the bass so I'm really starting to think I got a defective unit, please help. Thank you "

I'll update when they respond and if I happen to find any fixes to the issues.
Sorry to hear that. I wonder what is up with the audio dropouts and crackling, as that is why I returned mine. Does yours get hot too? I also agree with you that it does not have enough bass and could use a sub. For some this premium, they have to have better quality control, as I really wanted it to work and like it.
TheDuke1980 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page