Sennheiser Ambeo Soundbar? - Page 35 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 269Likes

post #1021 of 1232 Old 12-29-2019, 01:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDuke1980 View Post
Well after setting mine up I'm extremely frustrated. Many of the issues mentioned in this forum and others have been absolutely true in my experience. I was hoping they were isolated but doesn't look that way. I just contacted support :

"From the very beginning the app has not worked correctly. App sends me to Google home to connect to internet, once connected, back to the app and it won't recognize or pair with the soundbar. Delete both apps, Repeat, same issue. Third time is the charm. I changed nothing, it just decided to work this time. Calibration, the next headache. Follow instructions to a tee, failed. Restart the bar, failed to calibrate. Rinse, repeat. 10+ attempts all fail. There is nothing blocking the mic, Googled all possible issues, nothing works I give up. Retry a few hours later. Still a few fails but finally it decides to finish the calibration-again I changed nothing, it should have worked the first time, not 15 tries and hours later. The nightmare continues. Every single time I use the app it makes me get up and press the two buttons on the bar like the initial setup did as if I've never been connected before. Or it just won't recognize the bar and I can't use the app at all, pick your poison. I have also experienced multiple audio drop outs - apple 4k TV hooked to bar and earc hooked from bar to TV. All high quality cables rated 18gbs etc. Had the exact same setup with Sony ST5000 with zero issues. It's the bar. I got a lemon or you guys are putting out a product not ready for prime time. I'm regretting my $2500 purchase. On a side note there is almost no bass either, like no way it would be acceptable wo adding a subwoofer. Reviews I've read were impressed with the bass so I'm really starting to think I got a defective unit, please help. Thank you "

I'll update when they respond and if I happen to find any fixes to the issues.
Sorry to hear that, yours sounds like a faulty unit to me.

My one calibrates the first time and app connects the only difference is I don't use arc or Earc as I have had issues in the past with it.

It worked perfect with my apple tv 4k (when I had it).

Try disabling arc and Earc on soundbar and tv and test it again and see how you get on as a test.

The bass issue is that with external subwoofer connected?

If the external subwoofer is connected and subwoofer is ON then you can go to sub menu to adjust.

See picture. I have also added my firmware version.

Sent from my Samsung Note 9 using Tapatalk

TV: Sony 65" A1E OLED Surround: Sennheiser AMBEO + SVS SB12-NSD Stereo: Yamaha AS500 + Kef Q300 Processor: DVDO Iscan Mini + Darbee 5000S Players: Oppo 203 (Coris) / Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2019 / VU+ Ultimo 4K NAS: Qnap TVS-871 Pro i7 10GBE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1022 of 1232 Old 12-29-2019, 01:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked: 217
The audio settings I am still experimenting with.

All my viewing is tv series and movies and prefer clearer audio at lower volume.

Online help manual.
https://cdn.sennheiser-cloud.com/hel.../en/index.html

TV: Sony 65" A1E OLED Surround: Sennheiser AMBEO + SVS SB12-NSD Stereo: Yamaha AS500 + Kef Q300 Processor: DVDO Iscan Mini + Darbee 5000S Players: Oppo 203 (Coris) / Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2019 / VU+ Ultimo 4K NAS: Qnap TVS-871 Pro i7 10GBE
post #1023 of 1232 Old 12-29-2019, 10:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregF2 View Post
Sorry to hear that. I wonder what is up with the audio dropouts and crackling, as that is why I returned mine. Does yours get hot too? I also agree with you that it does not have enough bass and could use a sub. For some this premium, they have to have better quality control, as I really wanted it to work and like it.
I got mine 2 weeks ago, but I can only use it in optical as my Sony A9G does not recognize it in HDMI port. I had limited issues with the app, but not ongoing, I was able to get it calibrated fairly quickly, I have it mounted but it still gets pretty hot. The bass is ok but not enough, I added a subwoofer. Not sure if I’m going to keep it or return it yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1024 of 1232 Old 12-29-2019, 01:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked: 988
Quote:
I just got it hooked up last night. I did check to make sure sub was selected off in the app. But it sure seemed to lack bass. I'll try to mess around with it some more

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Without boosting the bass in the equalizer, I wasn’t satisfied either. With the bass boosted, it now sounds what I would describe as “pleasantly punchy.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TheDuke1980 likes this.
post #1025 of 1232 Old 12-29-2019, 01:27 PM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by a5ian300zx View Post
Sorry to hear that, yours sounds like a faulty unit to me.

My one calibrates the first time and app connects the only difference is I don't use arc or Earc as I have had issues in the past with it.

It worked perfect with my apple tv 4k (when I had it).

Try disabling arc and Earc on soundbar and tv and test it again and see how you get on as a test.

The bass issue is that with external subwoofer connected?

If the external subwoofer is connected and subwoofer is ON then you can go to sub menu to adjust.

See picture. I have also added my firmware version.

I have to use arc the way my setup is. All my cables go through the wall to the soundbar then the one arc cable to my TV. All cables hidden ran through the wall. But even if it they weren't a faulty arc hdmi connection on the soundbar is unacceptable.

I don't have an external subwoofer yet, SVS PB-3000 on the way. Sub is selected off in the app so that shouldn't be the issue with low bass either.

On a side note after deleting and reinstalling the app yesterday I have not had the connectivity issues.

post #1026 of 1232 Old 12-29-2019, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthnut View Post
Without boosting the bass in the equalizer, I wasn’t satisfied either. With the bass boosted, it now sounds what I would describe as “pleasantly punchy.”

I assume the low/mid part on the equalizer controls the base? Does clarity boost voice enhancement as well?

post #1027 of 1232 Old 12-29-2019, 02:17 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
I have to use arc the way my setup is. All my cables go through the wall to the soundbar then the one arc cable to my TV. All cables hidden ran through the wall. But even if it they weren't a faulty arc hdmi connection on the soundbar is unacceptable.

I don't have an external subwoofer yet, SVS PB-3000 on the way. Sub is selected off in the app so that shouldn't be the issue with low bass either.

On a side note after deleting and reinstalling the app yesterday I have not had the connectivity issues.

How does it compare to the st-5000? That’s what I have now and am considering the upgrade. Was about to pull the trigger, but figure I should wait until CES.
post #1028 of 1232 Old 12-29-2019, 05:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I assume the low/mid part on the equalizer controls the base? Does clarity boost voice enhancement as well?

I have foundation (under boost) at Max in the movie mode, I tried raising the mid bass, but it ended up muddying the sound. Clarity is supposed to make voices clearer, but it appears to me to behave as a simple treble boost. I ended up leaving it at the default. As always, experiment and see what sounds good to you.

TheDuke1980 likes this.
post #1029 of 1232 Old 12-29-2019, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Coane View Post
How does it compare to the st-5000? That’s what I have now and am considering the upgrade. Was about to pull the trigger, but figure I should wait until CES.
Well, I'm not sure if I have a detective unit yet. But right now the ST5000 definitely has better bass. The ambeo needs a sub. I think the ambeo is better at producing effective surround sound. But it's not the night and day difference I was hoping for. Definitely not worth $2500 as is but again, I'm not sure it's working like it's supposed to, I suspect it's not.

post #1030 of 1232 Old 12-30-2019, 07:59 AM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Well, I'm not sure if I have a detective unit yet. But right now the ST5000 definitely has better bass. The ambeo needs a sub. I think the ambeo is better at producing effective surround sound. But it's not the night and day difference I was hoping for. Definitely not worth $2500 as is but again, I'm not sure it's working like it's supposed to, I suspect it's not.

Thanks for the update. Keep us posted
post #1031 of 1232 Old 01-03-2020, 03:53 PM

Well after deleting the app, reinstalling and redoing the calibration with my SVS PB-3000 sub I have to say it's working much better. It is more immersive than the Sony ST5000. With the SVS sub it obviously has more bass as well. I'm surprised anyone that likes bass would be happy without an external subwoofer on this unit, but to each their own. I still have issues with voices being muffled/super low randomly while streaming through Apple 4K TV. When I stop the show and restart it, it fixes itself - Sennheiser support has been very helpful. They say a new firmware update is coming out in the next couple of weeks that may fix the voice issues. My guess is they still haven't worked all the issues out with Apple TV, hopefully it gets fixed. I have had a couple instances where the app won't connect to the soundbar, but not nearly as often as before.

Also FYI from Sennheiser support on equalizer settings:

There is no set Hz value/ speaker assignment for the EQ- think of it as being-

Foundation- Low frequency- deep bass- explosions, rumbles

Low-Mid- Lower middle frequencies- shouts, bass guitar, engines

Clarity- Upper Middle frequencies- human speech

Brilliance- High/ treble frequencies- sustained high frequencies
post #1032 of 1232 Old 01-03-2020, 10:21 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Is anyone on this forum had any experience with the ambeo having in your intermittent codec connectivity. I am constantly losing sound while it switches back and forth from Dolby digital plus via the various streaming sources. Using earc to connect to a brand new Sony. Appear to be on latest firmware.
post #1033 of 1232 Old 01-04-2020, 05:56 AM

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambeo123 View Post
Is anyone on this forum had any experience with the ambeo having in your intermittent codec connectivity. I am constantly losing sound while it switches back and forth from Dolby digital plus via the various streaming sources. Using earc to connect to a brand new Sony. Appear to be on latest firmware.
I did and also owned the latest Sony A9G. Ended up returning the Ambeo and could not fix it.

Sony A9G 77
post #1034 of 1232 Old 01-04-2020, 07:29 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 3
All of the sudden I am having an issue I see a few of you all have had as well but not seeing anyone who has found a solution yet.

After making no changes (hardware, firmware, or otherwise) to my setup the Soundbar now sounds terrible during dialogue; muffled voices that are hard to hear and have some echo. Turning off Ambeo 3D Sound mode does workaround the issue but I have had that mode turned on since I first setup the device several months ago and have never had an issue with dialogue until now.

Has anyone had any luck resolving this? I have tried resetting the Soundbar and then recalibrating but the issue persists.
post #1035 of 1232 Old 01-04-2020, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Savona View Post
All of the sudden I am having an issue I see a few of you all have had as well but not seeing anyone who has found a solution yet.

After making no changes (hardware, firmware, or otherwise) to my setup the Soundbar now sounds terrible during dialogue; muffled voices that are hard to hear and have some echo. Turning off Ambeo 3D Sound mode does workaround the issue but I have had that mode turned on since I first setup the device several months ago and have never had an issue with dialogue until now.

Has anyone had any luck resolving this? I have tried resetting the Soundbar and then recalibrating but the issue persists.
I have had the issue with voices being muffled randomly. When I stop and restart the show it usually fixes itself. Ambeo support said a firmware update is coming soon that "might" solve the issue. So far it's only happened to me when using Apple 4K TV. Not my Xbox

post #1036 of 1232 Old 01-04-2020, 02:30 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambeo123 View Post
I have the same issue. It appeared randomly about 6 weeks ago and I empirically tested it looking for causes. I is not related to Internet connection or cables. I narrowed it down *mainly* to Dolby Digital Plus codec from OLED LG's built-in Netflix app. There *may* be other sources or codecs with the problem... I am still observing the issue and noting when it appears and when it does not. My OLED LG is connected via eARC, and it supposedly fully supports the eARC protocol.

One of the causes is pressing pause on a stream; after resuming I get audio dropouts every 1-2 minutes. I can usually fix by restarting the stream...

I have not yet contacted support about this issue.
Karthus likes this.
post #1037 of 1232 Old 01-04-2020, 09:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:

My Soundbar did the same thing with terrible sound during dialogue. First I thought it was my Apple tv 4K but I also did test with my Panasonic UB9000 player and it was the same. I did reset my Soundbar and recalibrated it, but unfortunately I had no luck. It has now been returned to the store and they will test it.
I did noticed, that my problem was when playing sounds with more than two channels, as dolby digital 2.0 sounded normal.
post #1038 of 1232 Old 01-05-2020, 03:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 67
I'm seriously thinking of picking up this sound bar, but I have a question first. To those owners who have their sources connected directly to the Ambeo and then send video out to the TV, are you experiencing any of the issues described so far in this thread? This will be how I would connect mine, but I'm concerned I may have the same issues as others here.
post #1039 of 1232 Old 01-05-2020, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Thompson View Post
I'm seriously thinking of picking up this sound bar, but I have a question first. To those owners who have their sources connected directly to the Ambeo and then send video out to the TV, are you experiencing any of the issues described so far in this thread? This will be how I would connect mine, but I'm concerned I may have the same issues as others here.
Yes, that's how mine is hooked up. That being said once I deleted and reinstalled the app a lot of the problems went away. It's very finicky how you connect to Wi-Fi and the order you go in to set it up. My second calibration with a subwoofer I had no issues, it worked the very first time. It absolutely needs a subwoofer, way better experience with one imho.

I have still gotten muffled voice issue a couple times using Apple 4K TV.

Sennheiser support is helpful if you contact them. They say a new firmware update is coming out in a couple weeks so maybe that'll fix the problems hopefully.

post #1040 of 1232 Old 01-05-2020, 04:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes, that's how mine is hooked up. That being said once I deleted and reinstalled the app a lot of the problems went away. It's very finicky how you connect to Wi-Fi and the order you go in to set it up. My second calibration with a subwoofer I had no issues, it worked the very first time. It absolutely needs a subwoofer, way better experience with one imho.

I have still gotten muffled voice issue a couple times using Apple 4K TV.

Sennheiser support is helpful if you contact them. They say a new firmware update is coming out in a couple weeks so maybe that'll fix the problems hopefully.

Sounds promising. Thank you for your response.
post #1041 of 1232 Old 01-05-2020, 11:26 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I have set up as you plan to do (eg inputs to Ambeo and video from Ambeo to TV), except I have the Ambeo hard-wired to ethernet. I have had zero problems.
post #1042 of 1232 Old 01-06-2020, 06:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchassy View Post
I have set up as you plan to do (eg inputs to Ambeo and video from Ambeo to TV), except I have the Ambeo hard-wired to ethernet. I have had zero problems.

That's great news! I will be going with hard-wired Ethernet as well.
post #1043 of 1232 Old 01-06-2020, 01:51 PM

If you can skip the wonky wifi setup I recommend it. Why they make you jump through hoops with Google home then back to the app etc is ridiculous. Hardwire wasn't an option for me

post #1044 of 1232 Old 01-06-2020, 07:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Hope they work the bugs out soon...seriously looking at this for my condo!

Last edited by doubleroll; 01-07-2020 at 05:18 AM.
post #1045 of 1232 Old 01-06-2020, 08:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleroll View Post
Hope they work the. Us out soon...seriously looking at this for my condo!

I’m using it in a second floor condo: very happy. I’d like to add a subwoofer or 2, but concerns about neighbors are preventing me right now (I may get a pair of RSL 10” and put them on isolators and see if I can get away with it down the road). I did boost foundation to maximum and the bass is decent at least.

doubleroll and TheDuke1980 like this.
post #1046 of 1232 Old 01-07-2020, 05:20 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthnut View Post
I’m using it in a second floor condo: very happy. I’d like to add a subwoofer or 2, but concerns about neighbors are preventing me right now (I may get a pair of RSL 10” and put them on isolators and see if I can get away with it down the road). I did boost foundation to maximum and the bass is decent at least.

Good to know! That’s my dilemma as well, which is why the Ambeo seems to be the best option without a sub.
post #1047 of 1232 Old 01-07-2020, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleroll View Post
Good to know! That’s my dilemma as well, which is why the Ambeo seems to be the best option without a sub.
I would recommend you go ahead and try it without a sub but be prepared to throw down extra money for 1, you're probably going to want it. Night and day difference between the ambeo without my sub and when I added the SVS 3000. Then again I live in a house where I can shake the walls and not worry about Neighbors

doubleroll and a5ian300zx like this.
post #1048 of 1232 Old 01-10-2020, 02:10 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:

I thought that there is something wrong with my TV (LG 65 B7), so I verified the soundbar on another one, this time a brand new LG 65 C9. It turns out there the exact same problems with dialogues and Ambeo although this TV is supporting E-Arc. The only app where the soundbar with Ambeo turned ON works normal is YouTube. As soon as I switch to Netflix or Amazon Prime I have to turn off the Ambeo Mode or switch in the Netflix settings from English [Ambeo/5.1] to English [Original]. Otherwise you can't hear properly any dialogues [muffled voices, etc.]. Very annoying..
post #1049 of 1232 Old 01-10-2020, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Wisniewski View Post
I thought that there is something wrong with my TV (LG 65 B7), so I verified the soundbar on another one, this time a brand new LG 65 C9. It turns out there the exact same problems with dialogues and Ambeo although this TV is supporting E-Arc. The only app where the soundbar with Ambeo turned ON works normal is YouTube. As soon as I switch to Netflix or Amazon Prime I have to turn off the Ambeo Mode or switch in the Netflix settings from English [Ambeo/5.1] to English [Original]. Otherwise you can't hear properly any dialogues [muffled voices, etc.]. Very annoying..
That sucks. Using the Ambeo mode is the whole point of having the bar. Hopefully they fix that asap in a firmware update.

post #1050 of 1232 Old 01-10-2020, 12:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Wisniewski View Post

Are owners here having the muffled dialogue issue with only the apps on their smart TVs or with apps on external devices as well? I never use my TV apps. I have an Nvidia Shield TV I use for Kodi, Netflix, YouTube, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page