Sennheiser Ambeo Soundbar? - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 69Likes

post #91 of 397 Old 01-15-2019, 06:06 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Barrett View Post
I attended the demo of the Sennheiser Ambeo Soundbar at CES. The demo included both movie and music selections. The MSRP will be $2499.95 with U.S. release set for May.

This is the first soundbar I’ve heard that made me believe I was listening to a full surround sound speaker setup instead of a soundbar. The soundbar has a built-in sub and bass performance was impressive. I believe that the bass performance would satisfy most users without the need for a separate sub.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So do you plan on picking one up? I wish I could hear this thing I'm a bit skeptical that it can live up to the marketing or the price?

LG 65 B7A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 397 Old 01-15-2019, 07:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yes, I’ll be receiving a review sample for an extended audition when units become available (May timeframe). It is a bit expensive so I’m curious to see if it’s feature set and performance justify the price. I’ll try to check back in after I’ve spent some time with it.

post #93 of 397 Old 01-17-2019, 08:02 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2
From TechHive (can't post links yet...):

Sennheiser’s AMBEO soundbar promises acoustic alchemy
Best known for building high-end headphones and mics, Sennheiser is now getting ready to enter the soundbar market. We got a demo during CES.

By Jonathan Takiff
Freelance contributor, TechHive | JAN 17, 2019 3:00 AM PT

Sennheiser headphones and mics are held in high esteem by consumers and audio pros alike, but the company is a babe in the woods when it comes building loudspeakers for the home theater. Based on what we heard at CES of its AMBEO soundbar—an all-in-one 5.1.4 design with no fewer than 13 drivers—Sennheiser will have no problem capturing a slice of the market at the high end.

The AMBEO soundbar aims to “set a new reference in sound quality” for this category, said Maximilian Voight, the Hanover, Germany-based product manager at Sennheiser and our host for a demonstration at the Las Vegas Convention Center. “It delivers the spatial ‘as if there’ experience of a 5.1.4 system and powerful bass, without the need for additional speakers or even an external subwoofer. AMBEO covers the full spectrum from 30 Hertz to 20 K, +/- 3db.”

After just ten minutes of snippet listening, one of my audition colleagues declared “It’s the best soundbar I’ve heard at the show. Can I buy one now?” Actually, he’ll have to wait until May and pay a significant $2,499 to acquire one.

While my immediate impression was likewise quite favorable, the cynic in me wondered if the rabid enthusiast might be a plant. How many of the skidillion soundbars unveiled at the show could he have possibly heard?

I also couldn’t help but notice how carefully this dedicated listening room had been set up to achieve optimum performance, with floating ceiling and sidewall panels, and special acoustic treatments on the same. It was hardly your typical CES audition space—high-end audio gear is typically demoed in curtained and carpeted suites at the Venetian. Most telling: While an obnoxiously loud video game soundtrack was blaring from an adjacent booth just outside our listening room door, the quiet inside the Sennheiser show space was akin to that in a sealed anechoic chamber.

Still, the seriousness of Sennheiser’s aspirations was also obvious from the git-go in the construct of this bulked-up (yet wall-mountable) speaker, from its lacquered and brushed-aluminum enclosure to Sennheiser’s major splurge on high-performance drivers: Six forward-positioned, 4-inch long-throw woofers; three front-firing, 1-inch alloy fabric dome tweeters; two side-firing tweeters; and two upward-firing, 3.5-inch full-range speakers, collectively driven by 500 watts of Class D amplification.

The Sennheiser audio heritage is most obvious in the included external microphone, a wand-styled thing of beauty mounted on a stand that’s “used just for room calibration and then put aside,” Voight sighed. Unlike other room-calibration headsets and mics that listeners must position at varied room locations for multichannel sound system balancing, this one is so accurate “you just place it in one location and let it do its thing.” For maximum sound-throwing thrills, this beam-forming speaker rig should be situated in a room with side walls no farther than five meters (16.4 feet) to the left and right of the soundbar, and with a forward throw from bar to back wall of five to ten meters (32.8 feet) max.

Also telling is Sennheiser’s developmental collaboration with Fraunhofer IIS, the well-known German research institution. Fraunhofer holds many important audio patents, including one for the multichannel immersive audio codec MPEG-H Audio that is also at the heart of Sony’s 360 Reality Audio project. The AMBEO soundbar is likewise compatible with the Dolby Atmos and DTS:X object-based multi-channel formats, Voight said as he played the popular Dolby Atmos “rain forest” clip, along with snippets of performances by classical music ensembles.

Using Fraunhofer’s Upmix Technology virtualization technology, the AMBEO soundbar can upconvert stereo and 5.1 content to immersive 3D. Users tune the characteristics according to content type. Presets include neutral, movie, sports, news, and music. When Voight demonstrated the last of those, the music exhibited modest field expansion but excellent instrumental detailing on a fragment of The Eagles track “Hotel California.” The effect was even more enjoyable when applied to a concert clip from Imogen Heap (a British talent finally earning Stateside recognition as composer for the Broadway hit Harry Potter and the Cursed Child.)

I didn’t sense that the processing just piled on echo to move the sound outwards, nor did it alter tonal characteristics to make individual instruments pop. There’s more intelligent steering and deception going on here. And Voight hinted that it could be tweaked even more so in the future, via firmware updates to the soundbar and enhancements to its Sennheiser Smart Control companion app, delivered over Wi-Fi.

Ready to serve a variety of masters, connectivity options include built-in Google Chromecast, Bluetooth, and the latest iteration of HDMI with eARC (enhanced audio return channel, which provides more bandwidth than first-generation ARC). Users will also find three standard HDMI ports, one optical input, and one analog stereo RCA Aux input.

You won’t be able to talk to this soundbar, but Sennheiser is making a good case to just shut up and listen. I’m looking forward to doing that in a more real-world space.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 397 Old 01-17-2019, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
New article link

Quote:
Originally Posted by crank2501 View Post
From TechHive (can't post links yet...):

Here's the link to the article:

https://www.techhive.com/article/333...c-alchemy.html

Price is up to $2500 now, according to this article.
post #95 of 397 Old 01-17-2019, 09:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked: 312
My only criticism of this whole concept is price, but as someone else pointed out street price will likely be different. In its distinct favor is the use of large, high quality drivers, which must confer great sound quality. And I'm glad that you can't control this device with voice, as I think voice control in consumer electronics is a lousy idea.
matted likes this.
post #96 of 397 Old 01-18-2019, 08:33 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I have been quietly excited for some time about a device like this becoming available... I was fortunate enough to see a demo at Dolby labs last year in which an R&D engineer started with a full "real" Atmos setup and subsequently moved to setups with fewer and fewer speakers, culminating in a soundbar-like device that 100% had me convinced that there were speakers all over the room. Sadly this was a prototype "reference" design that is not a commercially available product, however the potential of the psychoacoustics and virtualization at play was extremely promising and convincing.

Of course, I was sitting in the sweet spot of an extremely well treated and purpose built room with diffusion, absorption, and reflection panels strategically placed to maximize the effects, and I’m sure the processing was powerful and tailored to the room. The write up on TechHive mentioned similar treatments in the CES demo, but I remain hopeful that f done well this could still give a decent surround experience in the right room.

I have some Neumann near field monitors and the sound from them is incredible. If the drivers in these share any lineage with the Neumann KH line then we are in for a treat.
nowknown likes this.
post #97 of 397 Old 01-22-2019, 12:56 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi4 View Post
...And I'm glad that you can't control this device with voice, as I think voice control in consumer electronics is a lousy idea.
From Sennheiser:
Is the AMBEO Soundbar also connectable to any voice assistants?
Yes, this soundbar offers Google Chromecast functionality which allows you to connect it to the Google Voice Assistance. With any Google Voice-enabled speaker or smartphone, this soundbar can be controlled by voice.

Last edited by mspears; 01-22-2019 at 01:06 AM.
post #98 of 397 Old 01-22-2019, 08:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked: 312
The inclusion of voice control would not be a deal breaker for me, but I still think it's a lousy idea.

Apparently the earlier report regarding no voice control was wrong.
post #99 of 397 Old 01-24-2019, 10:53 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2
post #100 of 397 Old 01-31-2019, 06:59 PM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Stupid Question

Does the fact that this soundbar supports DTSX and Atmos mean it also supports legacy formats like True Hd,DD,DTS, amd DTS HD Master Audio? Also, will all of these formats including atmos and x be supported through earc?
Stewrt likes this.

Last edited by coxjamb; 01-31-2019 at 07:03 PM.
post #101 of 397 Old 04-11-2019, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter

New article on the Ambeo soundbar

In case you haven't seen it:

https://www.techradar.com/reviews/se...eo-3d-soundbar

Hopefully, it will be out soon.
post #102 of 397 Old 04-29-2019, 08:56 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 5
New YouTube video from Sennheisser: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/195-s...oundbar-4.html

May '19 to become available for $2499.

Better late than never.

Spoke too soon!

Now it's slated for delivery in June.

Last edited by BN08; 04-30-2019 at 06:15 PM.
post #103 of 397 Old 04-29-2019, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

New reviews

http://www.insideci.co.uk/news/sennh...-gpc-2019.aspx

In addition to retail distribution it will also be introducing a direct selling channel which allows users to trial the system for four weeks, and if not satisfied return it.
The brand also confided to Inside CI that there are cheaper, smaller iterations of the bar on its roadmap.

https://technabob.com/blog/2019/04/2...listen-review/

In my brief listening experience with the Ambeo soundbar, I found it to live up to its promises in terms of excellent sound quality, surround imaging, and an incredibly large soundstage from a single device with no external speakers.

post #104 of 397 Old 04-30-2019, 03:24 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Question HDR pass-through?

Will the Sennheiser Ambeo Soundbar HDMI ports handle HDR10 and or Dolby Vision? I have seen nothing to suggest they do. Thanks for any updates!

Mscarp
post #105 of 397 Old 04-30-2019, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

It will have eARC

So just plug all video sources directly into the TV. Use the eARC to only send audio to the soundbar. This way you don't have to worry about the soundbar's video capabilities.
post #106 of 397 Old 05-04-2019, 08:18 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Sennheiser Ambeo Soundbar?

Not all TVs have eARC, but at :48 this video shows a Dolby vision logo.

mscarp likes this.
post #107 of 397 Old 05-04-2019, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Coane View Post
Not all TVs have eARC, but at :48 this video shows a Dolby vision logo.

I guess that means that it will pass Dolby Vision through the soundbar to the TV?
post #108 of 397 Old 05-08-2019, 07:44 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
I know this is supposed to have enough bass in it but I was thinking of getting this and pairing it with an SVS pb 16 ultra. Wife doesnt really like speakers around the living room so I kind of have to have a soundbar. Anyways I was just wondering what you guys thought of the pairing would that be completely stupid?
post #109 of 397 Old 05-08-2019, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guelmi Salgado View Post
I know this is supposed to have enough bass in it but I was thinking of getting this and pairing it with an SVS pb 16 ultra. Wife doesnt really like speakers around the living room so I kind of have to have a soundbar. Anyways I was just wondering what you guys thought of the pairing would that be completely stupid?
That PB-16 Ultra is huge. The PB-3000 or 4000 would be a better idea with a soundbar. They both have awesome output and a much smaller footprint.

Mscarp

Last edited by mscarp; 05-08-2019 at 08:35 AM. Reason: Typo
post #110 of 397 Old 05-08-2019, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscarp View Post
That PB-16 Ultra is huge. The PB-3000 or 4000 would be a better idea with a soundbar. They both have awesome output and a much smaller footprint.
Ok i spoke with the sennheiser rep and he assured me he doesnt think ill want a subwoofer so I guess lets wait and see how good this thing is.

Another technical Q. If I dont have e Arc on my TV ( i just got a samsung q8fn for 3200 brand new i couldn't pass up) can i connect everything to my soundbar like blu ray player, xbox etc and get true dolby atmos that isn't compressed like you would get if you connected your source to the TV?
post #111 of 397 Old 05-08-2019, 02:00 PM

Got a response from Sennheiser regarding Dolby Vision. Good news.

"Good Day Jesse

Thank you for contacting Sennheiser Technical Support.

Yes, the Soundbar will pass this through on all HDMI Inputs. This is an important feature coming with HDMI 2.0a. Also our product is certified for Dolby Vision.

The HDMI out (to the TV) is HDMI 2.1. That's why we have the eARC functionality.

Hopefully this helps, and have a good afternoon.

Regards,"
mscarp likes this.
post #112 of 397 Old 05-08-2019, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guelmi Salgado View Post
Ok i spoke with the sennheiser rep and he assured me he doesnt think ill want a subwoofer so I guess lets wait and see how good this thing is.

Another technical Q. If I dont have e Arc on my TV ( i just got a samsung q8fn for 3200 brand new i couldn't pass up) can i connect everything to my soundbar like blu ray player, xbox etc and get true dolby atmos that isn't compressed like you would get if you connected your source to the TV?
Correct.
mscarp and Guelmi Salgado like this.
post #113 of 397 Old 05-08-2019, 10:38 PM

I seriously can't wait for this, probably getting it as soon as it comes out
post #114 of 397 Old 05-09-2019, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 0
In my opinion it's not normal to have this soundbar with only HDMI 2.0.
If I buy a device with this price I want the best and HDMI 2.0 is not the best.

Moreover they write "eARC" in the description but eARC is full operational only with HDMI 2.1.

I'm really disappointed with this device...
post #115 of 397 Old 05-09-2019, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 1240 Post(s)
Liked: 2051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthus View Post

Moreover they write "eARC" in the description but eARC is full operational only with HDMI 2.1.

eArc can be implemented with HDMI 2.0b

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
post #116 of 397 Old 05-09-2019, 03:16 PM

The ambeo soundbar has HDMI 2.0a .... Not 2.0b !
post #117 of 397 Old 05-09-2019, 04:13 PM

Quote:
The ambeo soundbar has HDMI 2.0a .... Not 2.0b !

The HDMI Ins are 2.0, but the HDMI out is 2.1. That’s how they support eARC.
post #118 of 397 Old 05-09-2019, 06:27 PM

Quote:

You gotta read like ONE post up man come on lol
post #119 of 397 Old 05-09-2019, 07:33 PM

Red face HDMI 2.0a

The Ambeo 3D Soundbar supports HDMI 2.0a on all inputs and 2.0b on the single output. I received the same info from Sennheiser regarding eARC and they are making an incorrect statement. The output is not HDMI 2.1.
HDMI 2.1 has support for much more than eARC (8K resolution etc.). It makes no sense to have HDMI 2.1 as an output and 2.0a as inputs.

Via HDMI 2.0b, you can implement eARC within the firmware which a lot of other products have already done. The only difference between HDMI 2.0a vs 2.0b is that 20.b also supports HLG which is HDR for broadcast TV. With the majority of content today available via streaming and other media this should be a non concern for a few years as broadcast 4k TV is a long way off. This soundbar supports Dolby Vision, HDR10 and HDR10+ with eARC so they have all of the current bases covered.

Mike

Mscarp

Last edited by mscarp; 05-09-2019 at 07:53 PM.
post #120 of 397 Old 05-10-2019, 02:49 AM

https://en-us.sennheiser.com/ambeo-soundbar

It's 2.0a and not 2.0b
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page