Sennheiser Ambeo Soundbar? - Page 7 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 64Likes

post #181 of 389 Old 05-31-2019, 12:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelo1985 View Post
Yes there is an equalizer for tone control in the smart control app

Verstuurd vanaf mijn BLA-L29 met Tapatalk
Thanks! That is good to hear! I definitely want to check out this soundbar when it becomes available.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 389 Old 05-31-2019, 07:18 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowknown View Post
A lot of us are in the Matrix and trying to decide which color pill to take. Is this ‘The One’? (The Creative Sonic Carrier was supposed to be.) I would venture to say that most of us don’t have square rooms either.

So, get the boss on board, drop two-and-a-half bills, deal with shipping, move my stuff, rewire and turn it on and my face will look like...what? Which orifice will the lizard come out of?

Lol this was a good read so does this mean you ordered it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LG 65 B7A
post #183 of 389 Old 05-31-2019, 07:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by hingerson View Post
Lol this was a good read so does this mean you ordered it?

I’m finding the $2500 price point to be a pretty big hurdle. I would feel a lot more trigger happy at $2000.
hingerson, mirekti and New24K like this.

Learn all about me in my profile and take it all very seriously.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #184 of 389 Old 06-01-2019, 04:00 AM

Quote:
I’m finding the $2500 price point to be a pretty big hurdle. I would feel a lot more trigger happy at $2000.

Yea I'm kinda in the same boat, but I could be convinced so I'm waiting on more user reviews and the pro reviews, see what the consensus is.

LG 65 B7A
post #185 of 389 Old 06-01-2019, 07:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guelmi Salgado View Post
I have a military discount
I don’t see anywhere on the Sennheiser site where they offer this?

post #186 of 389 Old 06-01-2019, 08:16 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
I don’t see anywhere on the Sennheiser site where they offer this?
I called and asked sales agent directly. I was calling to ask about some specs and thought to ask about it when I was going to hang up. The sales agent gave me a code and before they even hung up I had already ordered it lol
post #187 of 389 Old 06-01-2019, 08:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guelmi Salgado View Post
I called and asked sales agent directly. I was calling to ask about some specs and thought to ask about it when I was going to hang up. The sales agent gave me a code and before they even hung up I had already ordered it lol
”This is my soundbar - this is my gun - this is for fighting - this is for fun!”

post #188 of 389 Old 06-01-2019, 09:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
”This is my soundbar - this is my gun - this is for fighting - this is for fun!”
(Two military recruiters are talking), “Gee, we sure have had a lot of bald, fat, middle-aged guys trying to sign up lately!?” “Yeah, too bad ‘cause they really aced the hearing and vision tests!”
natchie and hingerson like this.

post #189 of 389 Old 06-02-2019, 04:39 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Was emailing with a Sennheiser rep and he confirmed that the ambeo soundbar doesn’t have any audio delay setting. Think that’s a deal breaker for me. Not being able to adjust the sync to compensate for displays processing will drive me crazy. I asked if it was something that could be added in a firmware update, but they didn’t seem to think it was needed.
post #190 of 389 Old 06-02-2019, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Coane View Post
Was emailing with a Sennheiser rep and he confirmed that the ambeo soundbar doesn’t have any audio delay setting. Think that’s a deal breaker for me. Not being able to adjust the sync to compensate for displays processing will drive me crazy. I asked if it was something that could be added in a firmware update, but they didn’t seem to think it was needed.

Why's it a deal breaker? eARC will handle any audio delay and if your TV doesn't have it then run your devices into the sound bar?

LG 65 B7A
post #191 of 389 Old 06-02-2019, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Why's it a deal breaker? eARC will handle any audio delay and if your TV doesn't have it then run your devices into the sound bar?

I have a LG C8. Doesnt have eARC. When you run the devices directly in the soundbar (which was my plan) the audio is immediate. My OLED has a 50ms picture delay so it will be out of sync. That’s why almost all receivers (and a lot of soundbars) have an audio delay setting.

Right now I have the Sony ST-5000 and I use it’s delay setting to keep everything in sync.
post #192 of 389 Old 06-02-2019, 11:12 AM
RBO
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Quote:
I have a LG C8. Doesnt have eARC. When you run the devices directly in the soundbar (which was my plan) the audio is immediate. My OLED has a 50ms picture delay so it will be out of sync. That’s why almost all receivers (and a lot of soundbars) have an audio delay setting.

Right now I have the Sony ST-5000 and I use it’s delay setting to keep everything in sync.

The LG C8 has an AV Sync Adjustment under Sound in Settings. I keep mine Off. I have a Bose Soundbar 700 full system operating beautifully through my 77" C8 HDMI port #2 (ARC) without any AV sync issues whatsoever. What is the cause of your 50ms picture delay?

Russ (another one)
LG65 & 77C8PUA / Bose Soundbar 700 / OPPO UDP205 / Verizon FIOS TV One

"There are consequences to breaking the heart of a murdering b*****d." - BILL
C8/E8 Questions? Try JCC's_FAQ Or LiQiCE's_Wiki
post #193 of 389 Old 06-02-2019, 12:17 PM

Sennheiser Ambeo Soundbar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBO View Post
The LG C8 has an AV Sync Adjustment under Sound in Settings. I keep mine Off. I have a Bose Soundbar 700 full system operating beautifully through my 77" C8 HDMI port #2 (ARC) without any AV sync issues whatsoever. What is the cause of your 50ms picture delay?

The C8 has a 50ms delay naturally. That’s why game mode exists. Maybe you don’t notice the audio sync? If you turn up the audio on your C8 internal speakers while your soundbar is on does it make an echo?

Edit: just saw you mentioned ARC. If your devices are running into the TV then the audio comes out through ARC there wouldn’t be an issue. This is for running devices into the soundbar first.

Last edited by Jesse Coane; 06-02-2019 at 12:21 PM.
post #194 of 389 Old 06-02-2019, 01:53 PM
RBO
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Quote:
This is for running devices into the soundbar first.

Ah, and the Senheiser Ambeo has multiple hdmi ports that can accommodate up to 3 source components. OK, got it. The Bose Soundbar 700 only has one hdmi input so needs to go to the C8 but it is fortunately ARC compliant. I also was not aware of the natural audio delay in the C8, I guess I should research that some to understand the point. Thanks though.

edit: another Ah, now I see moment. I just read this article linked below and was schooled on hdmi, arc, and earc, which I had not paid much attention to before. I hadn't caught on yet that eARC is not backward compatible. Sorry for muddying the thread with my lack of awareness.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-t...ed-works-care/

Russ (another one)
LG65 & 77C8PUA / Bose Soundbar 700 / OPPO UDP205 / Verizon FIOS TV One

"There are consequences to breaking the heart of a murdering b*****d." - BILL
C8/E8 Questions? Try JCC's_FAQ Or LiQiCE's_Wiki

Last edited by RBO; 06-02-2019 at 02:23 PM.
post #195 of 389 Old 06-03-2019, 04:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Interested on confirmation of this as presume I would have same issue with my
LG C7.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
post #196 of 389 Old 06-03-2019, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Does this make eArc different from Arc?

https://www.hdmi.org/download/hdmi_2_1/earc.jpg

Lip Sync Correction - Mandatory

Will that negate the need for adjustments to audio timing?
But I guess you would need a TV with eArc for this to work correctly. Won't help with with any of the LG 8 Series or lower. Only the new 9 Series LG's will have eArc, apparently.

Last edited by wified; 06-03-2019 at 06:41 PM.
post #197 of 389 Old 06-03-2019, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wified View Post
https://www.hdmi.org/download/hdmi_2_1/earc.jpg

Lip Sync Correction - Mandatory

Will that negate the need for adjustments to audio timing?
But I guess you would need a TV with eArc for this to work correctly. Won't help with with any of the LG 8 Series or lower. Only the new 9 Series LG's will have eArc, apparently.

I’ve personally never had issues with lip sync except using Arc so until I get a TV with eARC I plan on just plugging all of my devices into the sound bar. I have an LG B7

LG 65 B7A
post #198 of 389 Old 06-04-2019, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBO View Post
Ah, and the Senheiser Ambeo has multiple hdmi ports that can accommodate up to 3 source components. OK, got it. The Bose Soundbar 700 only has one hdmi input so needs to go to the C8 but it is fortunately ARC compliant. I also was not aware of the natural audio delay in the C8, I guess I should research that some to understand the point. Thanks though.

edit: another Ah, now I see moment. I just read this article linked below and was schooled on hdmi, arc, and earc, which I had not paid much attention to before. I hadn't caught on yet that eARC is not backward compatible. Sorry for muddying the thread with my lack of awareness.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-t...ed-works-care/

Pretty sure eARC is backwards compatible as far as you get the original features of ARC.
post #199 of 389 Old 06-04-2019, 01:29 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Should get mine in the next couple of days. My office is pretty square with no obstructions so the soundbar should work quite nicely. It probably won’t get much use as I already got a full Atmos setup in the living room but I needed something for the office when the wife is occupying the tv in the living room and i want to chill out and watch a movie/ play a game.

The office only got a C8 with no eARC but I plan to upgrade that next year to a C10 so the soundbar is working to its full potential.

Will be interesting how the soundbar compares to the 7.1.4 in the living room.
hingerson likes this.
post #200 of 389 Old 06-04-2019, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurik View Post
Should get mine in the next couple of days. My office is pretty square with no obstructions so the soundbar should work quite nicely. It probably won’t get much use as I already got a full Atmos setup in the living room but I needed something for the office when the wife is occupying the tv in the living room and i want to chill out and watch a movie/ play a game.

The office only got a C8 with no eARC but I plan to upgrade that next year to a C10 so the soundbar is working to its full potential.

Will be interesting how the soundbar compares to the 7.1.4 in the living room.

I really look forward to your thoughts on it

LG 65 B7A
post #201 of 389 Old 06-05-2019, 04:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 922 Post(s)
Liked: 905
Quote:
I really look forward to your thoughts on it

As do I, as I’m giving up a dedicated, 7.4 space and replacing it with this (though I’ll still have my 77 OLED). Not expecting it to be quite as good, I’d settle for 75%!

post #202 of 389 Old 06-05-2019, 04:53 AM

Got delivery confirmed for tomorrow so hopefully, depending on workload, I should be able to post some brief impressions. Just to give you an idea of the room this will be used in, it’s a 3.5 x 4m squarish room with flat Ceiling about 2.8m heigh. That should be hopefully a good environment to test the soundbar
post #203 of 389 Old 06-05-2019, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Got delivery confirmed for tomorrow so hopefully, depending on workload, I should be able to post some brief impressions. Just to give you an idea of the room this will be used in, it’s a 3.5 x 4m squarish room with flat Ceiling about 2.8m heigh. That should be hopefully a good environment to test the soundbar

That’s about the same size as my den I’m considering this for

LG 65 B7A
post #204 of 389 Old 06-05-2019, 06:05 AM

I’m surprised there are no reviews yet from any of the usual suspects like whathifi etc. You would think sennheiser would send out review units left right and centre.

Initially I wanted to wait and read the reviews but in the end, no room is the same and it will always be better to have a listen in your own space.

Sennheiser has a good money back return policy in case the soundbar doesn’t full fill needs, hopes and expectations
post #205 of 389 Old 06-05-2019, 06:30 AM

Quote:
I’m surprised there are no reviews yet from any of the usual suspects like whathifi etc. You would think sennheiser would send out review units left right and centre.

Initially I wanted to wait and read the reviews but in the end, no room is the same and it will always be better to have a listen in your own space.

Sennheiser has a good money back return policy in case the soundbar doesn’t full fill needs, hopes and expectations

Yea I usually search once a day to see if any professional reviews pop up but nothing which is surprising since it had a lot of hype back in the fall and in January with a lot of good initial impressions but many including I believe whathifi wanting to get it into their testing environment. Soon enough I’m sure until then we have our dedicated Avs users

LG 65 B7A
post #206 of 389 Old 06-05-2019, 06:33 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Would it be too much to ask you to also try it in a bigger room (not a squarish room) ?
post #207 of 389 Old 06-05-2019, 08:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 922 Post(s)
Liked: 905
Personally, I place more value in user reviews than professional reviews. Although sometimes when a user is heavily invested in his gear, the tendency can be to do nothing but validate the decision and find no fault. Many (though perhaps not all) professional reviews are tied to advertising dollars and I believe this explains, at least in part, why there are so few poor reviews.

hingerson likes this.
post #208 of 389 Old 06-06-2019, 10:29 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 5
https://assets.sennheiser.com/global...al_0519_EN.pdf

Theres the manual for those who wanted it.
post #209 of 389 Old 06-06-2019, 10:53 AM

Ok, just spent an hour going through a couple of Atmos demo clips, Atmos Netflix and atoms games and feel like I can give Brief Impressions of my Experience in my listening environment.

I am.... disappointed. The soundbar struggles with what all “surround” bars struggle: the actual surround. The sound quality is exceptional and easily above all other soundbars I heard so far including the ysp5600, Playbar and Samsung k850 to name a few.

In my 3.5 x 4m squarish room, the soundbar just doesn’t need a subwoofer at all! The bass is crisp and deep with no distortion and I feel it would fill a room of 6 x 6m easily.

You get a massive front floor to ceiling sound wall coming towards you with a great perception of wide left/ right separation, centre and hight.

Despite some tweaking and calibration etc It just doesn’t push the sound to the rear and rear hight in my opinion just like all soundbars without dedicated rear speakers. It does push the sound quite far to the sides but just not far enough to create an illusion of the sound coming from the rear/ rear hight.

It’s a shame really as the sound quality as mentioned is amazing but in the end, for me it just sounds more like a 3.1.2 soundbar.

I am going to give it few more days and probably try the Samsung Q90R which in the UK is £700 cheaper but is a true 7.1.4 system due to dedicated rear speakers (despite a lot of syncing problem reports) before I make a decision.
post #210 of 389 Old 06-06-2019, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Ok, just spent an hour going through a couple of Atmos demo clips, Atmos Netflix and atoms games and feel like I can give Brief Impressions of my Experience in my listening environment.

I am.... disappointed. The soundbar struggles with what all “surround” bars struggle: the actual surround. The sound quality is exceptional and easily above all other soundbars I heard so far including the ysp5600, Playbar and Samsung k850 to name a few.

In my 3.5 x 4m squarish room, the soundbar just doesn’t need a subwoofer at all! The bass is crisp and deep with no distortion and I feel it would fill a room of 6 x 6m easily.

You get a massive front floor to ceiling sound wall coming towards you with a great perception of wide left/ right separation, centre and hight.

Despite some tweaking and calibration etc It just doesn’t push the sound to the rear and rear hight in my opinion just like all soundbars without dedicated rear speakers. It does push the sound quite far to the sides but just not far enough to create an illusion of the sound coming from the rear/ rear hight.

It’s a shame really as the sound quality as mentioned is amazing but in the end, for me it just sounds more like a 3.1.2 soundbar.

I am going to give it few more days and probably try the Samsung Q90R which in the UK is £700 cheaper but is a true 7.1.4 system due to dedicated rear speakers (despite a lot of syncing problem reports) before I make a decision.

Thanks for the initial impressions, I figured the surround would struggle like you said all “surround” sound bars do. I am currently using sonos which you mention the play bar so my question is does using the play bar with the surrounds which I do.. how would you compare it to the ambeo is the ambeo better only if it’s just sound bar to sound bar even though sonos lacks height you at least get true surround. What’s your take?

LG 65 B7A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page