Sennheiser Ambeo Soundbar? - Page 8 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 63Likes

post #211 of 383 Old 06-06-2019, 11:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 2
The quality of the sound, the richness of the bass and the obvious advantage of the height speakers easily outdo the Sonos playbar (without sub and rears). I only experienced the playbar on its own and can’t make a fair comparison, but would imagine if you have the sub and rears, you get a fuller surround experience just minus the (front) hight and of lesser quality (depending on quality of source)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 383 Old 06-06-2019, 01:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 922 Post(s)
Liked: 904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurik View Post
Ok, just spent an hour going through a couple of Atmos demo clips, Atmos Netflix and atoms games and feel like I can give Brief Impressions of my Experience in my listening environment.

I am.... disappointed. The soundbar struggles with what all “surround” bars struggle: the actual surround. The sound quality is exceptional and easily above all other soundbars I heard so far including the ysp5600, Playbar and Samsung k850 to name a few.

In my 3.5 x 4m squarish room, the soundbar just doesn’t need a subwoofer at all! The bass is crisp and deep with no distortion and I feel it would fill a room of 6 x 6m easily.

You get a massive front floor to ceiling sound wall coming towards you with a great perception of wide left/ right separation, centre and hight.

Despite some tweaking and calibration etc It just doesn’t push the sound to the rear and rear hight in my opinion just like all soundbars without dedicated rear speakers. It does push the sound quite far to the sides but just not far enough to create an illusion of the sound coming from the rear/ rear hight.

It’s a shame really as the sound quality as mentioned is amazing but in the end, for me it just sounds more like a 3.1.2 soundbar.

I am going to give it few more days and probably try the Samsung Q90R which in the UK is £700 cheaper but is a true 7.1.4 system due to dedicated rear speakers (despite a lot of syncing problem reports) before I make a decision.

Thanks for your impressions. It’s encouraging that the bass response and front staging is so impressive A bit disappointed in your appraisal of the surround effects, but this could be at least partially explained by your particular room’s acoustics. At any rate, I’d like to get several impressions before forming a judgement on this particular point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #213 of 383 Old 06-07-2019, 03:20 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 0
There is already a pretest of the Soundbar in the below website, sorry it's a french one (I'm french)...

They said they will publish the official test next Wednesday :

https://www.lesnumeriques.com/encein...pe-n87745.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #214 of 383 Old 06-07-2019, 07:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked: 312
It's downright peculiar that Azurik is getting no rear surround in his room, given that virtually all others who have listen to this soundbar do. So my questions are, was the microphone calibration run, or are there any acoustically absorbent materials used in the rear of the room?

It may also be that I was wrong about minimum room size.
post #215 of 383 Old 06-07-2019, 09:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi4 View Post
It's downright peculiar that Azurik is getting no rear surround in his room, given that virtually all others who have listen to this soundbar do. So my questions are, was the microphone calibration run, or are there any acoustically absorbent materials used in the rear of the room?

It may also be that I was wrong about minimum room size.

I concur with your observation. One of the reviewers from Audioholics said the Ambeo soundbar was the first convincing demo of height and rear surround he’s ever heard from a stand alone soundbar, and that seems to be the general consensus so far from those who’ve heard it.

post #216 of 383 Old 06-08-2019, 02:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I suppose there are instances in a very small room where the front volume of this soundbar may simply overpower the rear, reflective effects, or even produce some kind of cancellation effect.

This makes it all the more important that calibration is carefully done in a small room. I'd also like to know if there are any absorptive materials on the rear/side walls.
post #217 of 383 Old 06-09-2019, 10:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Really intrigued by this. Looking foward to more reviews.
post #218 of 383 Old 06-12-2019, 03:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I pre-ordered one of these, and it should ship soon. I’m going to be connecting it to an LG 77” C8. I’m thinking of using the soundbar as a sort of preamp and using the HDMI out to display the video from an Apple TV 4K and Panasonic 4k disc player. I’m assuming the soundbar will pass 4k HDR with no problem, but does anyone know if this will be a problem, or does it have to be configured in a specific way?

post #219 of 383 Old 06-13-2019, 01:34 AM

The EArc HDMI out should be plug on the TV, isn't it ?
post #220 of 383 Old 06-13-2019, 02:54 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
For the last few days I have also been testing the Samsung Q90R.

In MY listening environment there is just no contest with the ambeo. The Samsung performs way better due to dedicated rear speakers.

The sound quality is still slightly (and I mean slightly) better on the ambeo but due to the better “surround” experience and stand alone subwoofer, I have decided against the sennheiser and keeping the Samsung.

I also save £700 which is a nice bonus and goes towards the C10 next year to upgrade the office tv.

Hope others enjoy the sennheiser more and it suits their environment better as it’s really a great soundbar but bit overpriced compared to what you get with the Samsung.
hingerson likes this.
post #221 of 383 Old 06-13-2019, 07:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I just finished reading a review of the Samsung in Trusted Reviews, and they seem to concur with your very positive experience with the Q90R. One of the things that is very positive about this soundbar is its use of identical drivers throughout, which ensures tonal coherency.

The size of your room may not have allowed the Ambeo to show its best characteristics. In a larger room, and with music, I cannot help but think that the 4 inch Neumann drivers would truly shine, and I am curious about how absorptive your side and rear walls are, and whether you ran the calibration with a microphone. Once again, the Ambeo may need real breathing room in order to open up and show its stuff. Driver size does matter, 4 inch drivers are incredible rare in a soundbar, and Neumann drivers are exquisite.

Nevertheless, there is a distinct advantage to having real rear Atmos speakers, as that makes the soundbar much less dependent on room acoustics, and this would clearly have benefits with surrounded and height.

Glad you're happy, and it seems you made the right choice for your situation.

Last edited by taichi4; 06-13-2019 at 08:16 AM.
post #222 of 383 Old 06-13-2019, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi4 View Post
the Ambeo may need real breathing room in order to open up and show its stuff.

With my current soundbar, I have it mounted right above my TV with a mounting bracket connected to the rear of the TV. I would agree with you that a setup something like this might be what the Ambeo needs - nothing blocking especially the top and sides so that the sound can get out and bounce around. I know with my current soundbar that if I place it on the stand below the TV, the sound is not nearly as good as when it is mounted above it.
post #223 of 383 Old 06-13-2019, 03:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I preordered my Ambeo soundbar on May 30 (and of course, they took my money immediately). My understanding at that time was that it would be released on June 12, but so far, nothing. I did reach out to them via email and am awaiting a reply. Does anyone have any updated information on the US release date?

post #224 of 383 Old 06-13-2019, 04:26 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I preordered on May 15th and was not charged till June 12th (payment via credit card, not PayPal.. payment via PayPal will always result in an immediate charge).

I received shipment notification on the 13th, but tracking shows that it actually went out on the 12th.
post #225 of 383 Old 06-13-2019, 05:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirium305 View Post
I preordered on May 15th and was not charged till June 12th (payment via credit card, not PayPal.. payment via PayPal will always result in an immediate charge).

I received shipment notification on the 13th, but tracking shows that it actually went out on the 12th.

Thanks. Maybe mine was delayed because I preordered 2 weeks after you? Hope that’s all it is...

post #226 of 383 Old 06-13-2019, 06:02 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirium305 View Post

Similar with me. My notification was also yesterday June 12th, Delirium. Says that it left their warehouse on that day. Then they've provided a tracking URL with a weird number, unlike the usual UPS tracking numbers which start with "1Z", and only leads to a general UPS tracking page, but not specific about my particular shipment. Originally I thought these would be pallet shipped and then distributed. Now I believe that this was probably individually shipped from Germany, not the US. I looked up the status in my account and that too leads nowhere. Wrote them this morning and I received confirmation of my request. Takes a while for their response because it's probably so, that processing is done outside the US. If they expect me to sign for it, I'll need a real tracking number to be sure I'm at the residence.
post #227 of 383 Old 06-13-2019, 06:44 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBloop View Post
Similar with me. My notification was also yesterday June 12th, Delirium. Says that it left their warehouse on that day. Then they've provided a tracking URL with a weird number, unlike the usual UPS tracking numbers which start with "1Z", and only leads to a general UPS tracking page, but not specific about my particular shipment. Originally I thought these would be pallet shipped and then distributed. Now I believe that this was probably individually shipped from Germany, not the US. I looked up the status in my account and that too leads nowhere. Wrote them this morning and I received confirmation of my request. Takes a while for their response because it's probably so, that processing is done outside the US. If they expect me to sign for it, I'll need a real tracking number to be sure I'm at the residence.
That’s quite odd. I have a free UPS MyChoice account, so I get automatic emails from UPS informing me of upcoming deliveries. When I click the tracking link provided in the shipment notice email, it automatically opens the UPS app I have on my iPhone.

As for the origin of the shipment, mine was shipped from Sennheiser’s Wisconsin warehouse.
post #228 of 383 Old 06-14-2019, 12:22 PM

People. Do yourselves a favor. Don't order directly from the Sennheiser manufacturer.

Here's my story.

As I posted yesterday, I received notice that my soundbar is on its way in leaving the warehouse June 12th. Also given was a tracking, but the tracking only led to the main UPS page; not specific on my shipment. Yes, Delirium, I always get those UPS updates, too. That's what's so strange; now I'm not. So I wrote back and, like. . . the response was dumber than the first. I was provided once again with the same number. Worse, the reply said to allow 5 - 7 business days. Yet I paid an additional $35 US for 3-day Select!

The order must've been in clear view on his monitor. Don't they read this stuff? Are they stupid or what?

Anyways, I phoned Digital River this afternoon. It was shipped on the 12th. However, they admitted that the link didn't work. Tomorrow marks the third day. Asking for a refund of the faster UPS service if it's not here. They'll email updates. Michele of Customer Support said that this matter will be turned into their relevant department.

There's no doubt of their word. So what's the big deal? If no one's at the residence, then UPS leaves signature requested deliveries at a branch store of which I have no means to pick it up. And why should I?

The item is now available for pre-order at Crutchfield. I should've ordered from them. Any authorized store is better. For one thing, more days on returns and none of this nonsense.

I'm sure eventually everything will be fine. There's always Paypal if it's not. Just that, chasing down on a long awaited 36 pound large box this is an experience I do not like, particularly from a reputable company.

Better days coming, I hope.
mirekti likes this.

Last edited by TheBloop; 06-14-2019 at 12:32 PM.
post #229 of 383 Old 06-14-2019, 01:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
People. Do yourselves a favor. Don't order directly from the Sennheiser manufacturer.

Here's my story.

As I posted yesterday, I received notice that my soundbar is on its way in leaving the warehouse June 12th. Also given was a tracking, but the tracking only led to the main UPS page; not specific on my shipment. Yes, Delirium, I always get those UPS updates, too. That's what's so strange; now I'm not. So I wrote back and, like. . . the response was dumber than the first. I was provided once again with the same number. Worse, the reply said to allow 5 - 7 business days. Yet I paid an additional $35 US for 3-day Select!

The order must've been in clear view on his monitor. Don't they read this stuff? Are they stupid or what?

Anyways, I phoned Digital River this afternoon. It was shipped on the 12th. However, they admitted that the link didn't work. Tomorrow marks the third day. Asking for a refund of the faster UPS service if it's not here. They'll email updates. Michele of Customer Support said that this matter will be turned into their relevant department.

There's no doubt of their word. So what's the big deal? If no one's at the residence, then UPS leaves signature requested deliveries at a branch store of which I have no means to pick it up. And why should I?

The item is now available for pre-order at Crutchfield. I should've ordered from them. Any authorized store is better. For one thing, more days on returns and none of this nonsense.

I'm sure eventually everything will be fine. There's always Paypal if it's not. Just that, chasing down on a long awaited 36 pound large box this is an experience I do not like, particularly from a reputable company.

Better days coming, I hope.

I am also having issues with my pre-order. At least you’ve gotten some feedback, all I’ve gotten so far is the sounds of crickets.

post #230 of 383 Old 06-14-2019, 01:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthnut View Post
I am also having issues with my pre-order. At least you’ve gotten some feedback, all I’ve gotten so far is the sounds of crickets.

I just now received an email from JRiver, saying my order is being processed and I’ll receive an email notification when it ships. Hopefully this will all work out in the end, but I’d also have gone with Crutchfield, as the previous poster suggested, if I had a do over.

hingerson likes this.
post #231 of 383 Old 06-15-2019, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthnut View Post
I just now received an email from JRiver, saying my order is being processed and I’ll receive an email notification when it ships. Hopefully this will all work out in the end, but I’d also have gone with Crutchfield, as the previous poster suggested, if I had a do over.

Well, a bit of good news for me. I was sent an email with a working UPS tracking number. Its scheduled delivery is Monday, but tracking also says that its loaded on the delivery vehicle and out for delivery in my town as of this Saturday morning.

I agree, Healthnut. If I can share advise to anyone, I'd say skip Sennheiser and purchase with an authorized store. Crutchfield is one, and now I noticed Abt is taking orders. Had I been considering this today, it would've been from one of them.

I kinda owe it to them. As an audiophile, I once read somewhere that when you read a review about an item, in judging whether you should buy or not, when the reviewer says that he'll buy one for himself, then you know that that's the one to buy. I thank this Crutchfield guy (JR). Notice what he said at the end: "Wait for this soundbar to come out - that's what I'm gonna do" with a smile.

To those who may think that it's better to wait than to be an early adopter, I'd agree. I'm usually not one who desires to be first. It happens because you buy to stop yourself from buying something else that you may regret.

Notice that neither store currently has stock of the item. I've applied my email address for notification when available even though I had pre-ordering. As you're awaiting word Healthnut, it gives a sense of what's happening as you're expecting yours. When available in their stock, you know your turn is soon, if not sooner.

Well, I better dress up to greet the new soundbar, "if" it shows up today. See ya!
post #232 of 383 Old 06-15-2019, 07:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well, a bit of good news for me. I was sent an email with a working UPS tracking number. Its scheduled delivery is Monday, but tracking also says that its loaded on the delivery vehicle and out for delivery in my town as of this Saturday morning.

I agree, Healthnut. If I can share advise to anyone, I'd say skip Sennheiser and purchase with an authorized store. Crutchfield is one, and now I noticed Abt is taking orders. Had I been considering this today, it would've been from one of them.

I kinda owe it to them. As an audiophile, I once read somewhere that when you read a review about an item, in judging whether you should buy or not, when the reviewer says that he'll buy one for himself, then you know that that's the one to buy. I thank this Crutchfield guy (JR). Notice what he said at the end: "Wait for this soundbar to come out - that's what I'm gonna do" with a smile.

To those who may think that it's better to wait than to be an early adopter, I'd agree. I'm usually not one who desires to be first. It happens because you buy to stop yourself from buying something else that you may regret.

Notice that neither store currently has stock of the item. I've applied my email address for notification when available even though I had pre-ordering. As you're awaiting word Healthnut, it gives a sense of what's happening as you're expecting yours. When available in their stock, you know your turn is soon, if not sooner.

Well, I better dress up to greet the new soundbar, "if" it shows up today. See ya!

Thanks for sharing: I think we’re on the same page in all of this. Please post impressions when you get it all dialed in and i will do the same.

post #233 of 383 Old 06-16-2019, 10:17 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Sounds Guys has a review.

soundguys.com/sennheiser-ambeo-soundbar-review-23166/
post #234 of 383 Old 06-17-2019, 07:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcAlbert View Post

Good discussion on the MPEG H format which the Ambeo supports. Very interesting!

post #235 of 383 Old 06-17-2019, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcAlbert View Post

Thanks for the link, MarcAlbert. It was informing. A good review, particularly on setup. Of coarse, no review beats having your own.

Getting mine today, baby! Mine is going in a bedroom where the TV is wall-hung. It's a bit higher than most and tilted downward for bed viewing. Frankly, this bar was overkill because it's longer than the 49" XBR (TV measures 43" across), but I think I'll appreciate better sound. Nevertheless, it's less overkill than in having a dedicated setup. Because the wall mount is yet to be available in the US, in order not to make unnecessary holes in the wall, yesterday I hadda make a temporary Kindorf steel channel shelving hung-supported from the monitor's bracket for temporary placement. Now I have support for the Ambeo and my recent Oppo UDP-203 just below it. Between the new 4K television and the Oppo, I'll be interested to finally find out what all this ARC-HDMI interaction is all about. Hope the soundbar goes on and off automatically with the TV.

Healthnut, they've corrected the UPS tracking issues and had already sent a $35 US refund from the 3-day shipping being that they shipped it regular ground. UPS sent me an alert from my old email address which Sennheiser didn't have, which means Digital River's researching didn't matter had they found the real number or not. I'm sure UPS would've linked the right numbers so long as they'd be provided your email address. When UPS sends you an "Out For Delivery Today" alert, then you know it's coming.

Stay tuned.
Karthus likes this.

Last edited by TheBloop; 06-17-2019 at 09:11 AM.
post #236 of 383 Old 06-17-2019, 11:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the link, MarcAlbert. It was informing. A good review, particularly on setup. Of coarse, no review beats having your own.

Getting mine today, baby! Mine is going in a bedroom where the TV is wall-hung. It's a bit higher than most and tilted downward for bed viewing. Frankly, this bar was overkill because it's longer than the 49" XBR (TV measures 43" across), but I think I'll appreciate better sound. Nevertheless, it's less overkill than in having a dedicated setup. Because the wall mount is yet to be available in the US, in order not to make unnecessary holes in the wall, yesterday I hadda make a temporary Kindorf steel channel shelving hung-supported from the monitor's bracket for temporary placement. Now I have support for the Ambeo and my recent Oppo UDP-203 just below it. Between the new 4K television and the Oppo, I'll be interested to finally find out what all this ARC-HDMI interaction is all about. Hope the soundbar goes on and off automatically with the TV.

Healthnut, they've corrected the UPS tracking issues and had already sent a $35 US refund from the 3-day shipping being that they shipped it regular ground. UPS sent me an alert from my old email address which Sennheiser didn't have, which means Digital River's researching didn't matter had they found the real number or not. I'm sure UPS would've linked the right numbers so long as they'd be provided your email address. When UPS sends you an "Out For Delivery Today" alert, then you know it's coming.

Stay tuned.

Thanks for all the helpful info. Looking forward to your impressions.

post #237 of 383 Old 06-17-2019, 11:13 AM

Quote:

Stay tuned.
Nice !

What is the size of your bedroom ?
Is it square ?
post #238 of 383 Old 06-17-2019, 05:25 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

I pre-ordered on May 15th, mine was delivered today!

I have mine temporarily setup on the dining room table while a custom cabinet is being made for under the television.
I powered it up, ran through the Ambeo setup, connected my phone via bluetooth, listened to a couple of podcast samples, and a few songs.

First impressions:
- Have two people to lift this thing, she has some mass
- The Smart Control app can't connect to the soundbar
- Got it connected via the Google Home app and received a firmware update over wifi
- Bass is adequate and tight.
- Midrange and human voice clarity is spectacular.
- Musicality - Still gauging
- Surround sound - My temp setup is not optimal for testing this right now.

-Stu
hingerson likes this.
post #239 of 383 Old 06-17-2019, 09:27 PM

Thanks for the replies, all.

Just got done with my temporary rack. Sturdy, strong, and good-looking, if I say so myself. Visited Lowes for lumber, earlier. Hadda make shelving plus I had a few obstacles like an angled wall from behind, to overcome.

I'm very stringed on placement. This is not the type of loudspeaker which you can toe-in. It should only be upright, otherwise it might affect its effects. This Ambeo was meant for a bedroom. Bed pillows are 34" height from the finished floor, therefore the soundbar also had to be 34" from the finished floor despite the monitor being higher on tilted angle. Connection panel is at the bottom-deep facing backward of this heavy thing, so I hadda improvise a shelf with a cutout below as a clever way for hookup access to avoid turning it faced down as they suggest in the instructions. Didn't even power it up. No two people for lifting; It's a one-man job here, but manageable.

I can preliminarily tell you this, though.

On the positive, it seems like a solid unit. Money well spent. On the negative, I don't care much for its fabric front grille. It's okay, except there's no taking it off to expose its speakers as I like to do with my Focals. Otherwise it looks ugly if you do. Bulletproof. By bulletproof, I mean that the smaller effects speakers have multiple layers of grille of which I'm wondering how the sound, particularly high frequencies, could pass through. Those concave dimples as seen outside, there's metal and plastic which holds those shapes for the fabric, and then there's yet another metal grill with finer holes inside attached on the speaker itself. Too much grilling, lots of metal blockage, I think.

All in all, it seems like a fine unit.

Now hooking up a Magnavox DVR and the Oppo BD player. Neatness counts, but takes more time. Tomorrow I'll want to throw everything at it from DVDs, Blu-rays, and even regular off-the-air TV shows. It's not just about special effects. A lot of classic TV shows had beautiful musical themes.

Almost there, but it's after midnight and haven't had supper. Tired, too. Sorry for the delay. Just came online because I thought of all of you. I'll be back.
Soundizer17 and Karthus like this.

Last edited by TheBloop; 06-17-2019 at 11:50 PM.
post #240 of 383 Old 06-18-2019, 05:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewrt View Post
I pre-ordered on May 15th, mine was delivered today!

I have mine temporarily setup on the dining room table while a custom cabinet is being made for under the television.

I powered it up, ran through the Ambeo setup, connected my phone via bluetooth, listened to a couple of podcast samples, and a few songs.

First impressions:

- Have two people to lift this thing, she has some mass

- The Smart Control app can't connect to the soundbar

- Got it connected via the Google Home app and received a firmware update over wifi

- Bass is adequate and tight.

- Midrange and human voice clarity is spectacular.

- Musicality - Still gauging

- Surround sound - My temp setup is not optimal for testing this right now.

-Stu

Thanks for the preliminary review. I especially appreciate your take on the bass response and how well it handles voices: very encouraging!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page