Sennheiser Ambeo Soundbar? - Page 9 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 74Likes

post #241 of 413 Old 06-18-2019, 05:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 922 Post(s)
Liked: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBloop View Post
Thanks for the replies, all.

Just got done with my temporary rack. Sturdy, strong, and good-looking, if I say so myself. Visited Lowes for lumber, earlier. Hadda make shelving plus I had a few obstacles like an angled wall from behind, to overcome.

I'm very stringed on placement. This is not the type of loudspeaker which you can toe-in. It should only be upright, otherwise it might affect its effects. This Ambeo was meant for a bedroom. Bed pillows are 34" height from the finished floor, therefore the soundbar also had to be 34" from the finished floor despite the monitor being higher on tilted angle. Connection panel is at the bottom-deep facing backward of this heavy thing, so I hadda improvise a shelf with a cutout below as a clever way for hookup access to avoid turning it faced down as they suggest in the instructions. Didn't even power it up. No two people for lifting; It's a one-man job here, but manageable.

I can preliminarily tell you this, though.

On the positive, it seems like a solid unit. Money well spent. On the negative, I don't care much for its fabric front grille. It's okay, except there's no taking it off to expose its speakers as I like to do with my Focals. Otherwise it looks ugly if you do. Bulletproof. By bulletproof, I mean that the smaller effects speakers have multiple layers of grille of which I'm wondering how the sound, particularly high frequencies, could pass through. Those concave dimples as seen outside, there's metal and plastic which holds those shapes for the fabric, and then there's yet another metal grill with finer holes inside attached on the speaker itself. Too much grilling, lots of metal blockage, I think.

All in all, it seems like a fine unit.

Now hooking up a Magnavox DVR and the Oppo BD player. Neatness counts, but takes more time. Tomorrow I'll want to throw everything at it from DVDs, Blu-rays, and even regular off-the-air TV shows. It's not just about special effects. A lot of classic TV shows had beautiful musical themes.

Almost there, but it's after midnight and haven't had supper. Tired, too. Sorry for the delay. Just came online because I thought of all of you. I'll be back.

Thanks for sharing. Hopefully your concerns about the grills are cosmetic, which I could live with. I’m really most interested in it’s performance, and I hope you’ll be able to share more about that when you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 413 Old 06-18-2019, 11:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0659.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	261.4 KB
ID:	2581648
IT has arrived! Don’t have time right now to mess with it, but the box is very large! More to come...

Karthus likes this.
post #243 of 413 Old 06-18-2019, 01:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 0
So big !

I have a question for those who have bought this soundbar. I wonder if the 3D sound will work with my current living room.

I have a TV desk with a depth of 43 cm and above there is a cabinet as long as the TV desk but with a depth of 25 cm.
If I put the Soundbar at the edge of the TV desk (as far as possible from the wall) it means the above of the Soundbar will be the ceiling and not the cabinet (as the depth is 25 cm).

Will it be a problem or not ?

I've draw the room (attached).

In the draw the soundbar is against the wall, but I'll do the contrary, and put it as far as possible of the wall.

If it's not clear please let me know.

Thanks !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sans titre.png
Views:	111
Size:	678.0 KB
ID:	2581724  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #244 of 413 Old 06-18-2019, 03:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthus View Post
So big !

I have a question for those who have bought this soundbar. I wonder if the 3D sound will work with my current living room.

I have a TV desk with a depth of 43 cm and above there is a cabinet as long as the TV desk but with a depth of 25 cm.

If I put the Soundbar at the edge of the TV desk (as far as possible from the wall) it means the above of the Soundbar will be the ceiling and not the cabinet (as the depth is 25 cm).

In the draw the soundbar is against the wall, but I'll do the contrary, and put it as far as possible of the wall.

Thanks !

I would recommend downloading the owner’s manual from the Sennheiser site. It will detail specific recommendations concerning placement.

post #245 of 413 Old 06-18-2019, 08:50 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
So big !

Thanks !
First of all very nice drawing. Secondly instead of referring you to the manual, I will say that I think you'd be completely fine.
Karthus likes this.
post #246 of 413 Old 06-18-2019, 08:55 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I love the owner reviews!

Dutch site review: http://www.homecinemamagazine.nl/201...part-surround/

I don’t speak Dutch. But here’s the conclusion via Google Translate:

“The price of the Ambeo Soundbar makes this device not an obvious choice for the average consumer. It probably won't be an impulse purchase. Sennheiser is not a brand that usually promotes prices, so it will be 2,500 euros. Solid. The installation of the robust Sennheiser soundbar is also more challenging than normal. Hanging 18.5 kg on the wall requires a good anchoring.

But for the high price you do get a soundbar that is actually unworthy of the name soundbar, in a positive sense. The technology in the Ambeo Soundbar is nothing short of spectacular. You will be served real 3D sound. How good? That depends on the room, but in the best case it comes very close to a discreet surround arrangement of separate speakers. The realistic representation of the height channels is really astonishing. Because the Ambeo Soundbar is so good at creating a surround field, it also performs excellently as a stereo music player. This is the new reference in the field of sound bars.”
post #247 of 413 Old 06-18-2019, 09:01 PM

OK! My turn. I got the sounder today I got home from work pretty late but I did not care Ive been waiting for this for a year. I set it up right away and its hard to picture the size of this thing even though I knew the dimensions my first impressions were crap this thing is big. Its not just wide that's not really any different than most soundbars. Its the height and depth, its a beast. Very good quality materials but its definitely hefty. But to the part that matters, I am hooking all of the stuff from the soundbar and running a single HDMI through eArc to the tv. Hooked up my xbox one X and fired up a Dolby Atmos scene, and WOW. Very impressed I felt very submersed in the sound. Rain was coming directly from above me I was impressed on that aspect, as well as full surround from left to right. I closed my eyes and was very fooled. Although I didn't feel the rears very well I will say my back wall is pretty much non existent so I am not the best to judge on that aspect. I came from a 5.1 surround and I definitely think this outdid it with the height added on to it.

I listened to music and was very happy with that as well. Bass was non existent at first but quickly figured out the night mode was somehow on, turned it off and bam hit me right in the face. I love my room to rumble though and this definitely wasn't that. But its punchy and accurate, probably what it should sound like. I like an overwhelming feel it in your bones bass. Which I had before, but the new wife doesn't like speakers everywhere so sounder it was. Half of me wanted it to not ve very good to return it and get my 2k back, but damn it I guess I'm stuck with it. I have heard the Samsung n950 with true rears, and I am not sure if the person before didn't have it configured well, but its not even close. Sound quality trumps the n950 as it is expected.

Overall highly recommend, I am not easily impressed I've heard multiple 20k setups and while it obviously wasn't that good, for the money, and the space saving. Get it, its worth it.

I messed with the EQ on my phone and that also made a big difference.
post #248 of 413 Old 06-19-2019, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guelmi Salgado View Post
OK! My turn. I got the sounder today I got home from work pretty late but I did not care Ive been waiting for this for a year. I set it up right away and its hard to picture the size of this thing even though I knew the dimensions my first impressions were crap this thing is big. Its not just wide that's not really any different than most soundbars. Its the height and depth, its a beast. Very good quality materials but its definitely hefty. But to the part that matters, I am hooking all of the stuff from the soundbar and running a single HDMI through eArc to the tv. Hooked up my xbox one X and fired up a Dolby Atmos scene, and WOW. Very impressed I felt very submersed in the sound. Rain was coming directly from above me I was impressed on that aspect, as well as full surround from left to right. I closed my eyes and was very fooled. Although I didn't feel the rears very well I will say my back wall is pretty much non existent so I am not the best to judge on that aspect. I came from a 5.1 surround and I definitely think this outdid it with the height added on to it.

I listened to music and was very happy with that as well. Bass was non existent at first but quickly figured out the night mode was somehow on, turned it off and bam hit me right in the face. I love my room to rumble though and this definitely wasn't that. But its punchy and accurate, probably what it should sound like. I like an overwhelming feel it in your bones bass. Which I had before, but the new wife doesn't like speakers everywhere so sounder it was. Half of me wanted it to not ve very good to return it and get my 2k back, but damn it I guess I'm stuck with it. I have heard the Samsung n950 with true rears, and I am not sure if the person before didn't have it configured well, but its not even close. Sound quality trumps the n950 as it is expected.

Overall highly recommend, I am not easily impressed I've heard multiple 20k setups and while it obviously wasn't that good, for the money, and the space saving. Get it, its worth it.

I messed with the EQ on my phone and that also made a big difference.
Thanks dude !

You do not have wall behind you ?
Can you please confirim the depth and height of the ambeo ?
post #249 of 413 Old 06-19-2019, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Thanks dude !

You do not have wall behind you ?
Can you please confirim the depth and height of the ambeo ?

Behind my couch, half of it is a wall, and the other half of the couch opens up to the kitchen. Damn open floor plans

It is 5.25 inches tall and 7 inches deep.
post #250 of 413 Old 06-19-2019, 09:05 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurik View Post
Ok, just spent an hour going through a couple of Atmos demo clips, Atmos Netflix and atoms games and feel like I can give Brief Impressions of my Experience in my listening environment.

I am.... disappointed. The soundbar struggles with what all “surround” bars struggle: the actual surround. The sound quality is exceptional and easily above all other soundbars I heard so far including the ysp5600, Playbar and Samsung k850 to name a few.

In my 3.5 x 4m squarish room, the soundbar just doesn’t need a subwoofer at all! The bass is crisp and deep with no distortion and I feel it would fill a room of 6 x 6m easily.

You get a massive front floor to ceiling sound wall coming towards you with a great perception of wide left/ right separation, centre and hight.

Despite some tweaking and calibration etc It just doesn’t push the sound to the rear and rear hight in my opinion just like all soundbars without dedicated rear speakers. It does push the sound quite far to the sides but just not far enough to create an illusion of the sound coming from the rear/ rear hight.

It’s a shame really as the sound quality as mentioned is amazing but in the end, for me it just sounds more like a 3.1.2 soundbar.

I am going to give it few more days and probably try the Samsung Q90R which in the UK is £700 cheaper but is a true 7.1.4 system due to dedicated rear speakers (despite a lot of syncing problem reports) before I make a decision.
Gosh. Been avoiding this thread, sorry guys. I'd hate to admit this, but I'll have to agree with Azurik on this one. I'm not getting "wowed" when I hear the Ambeo.

The effects are faint. I borrowed a Dolby demo disc with Atmos sample effects. The disc consists of various effects from movies and music. Clarity is fine. The effects, though, are faint. Even when the pink noise generated test tones of 5.1.4 as that specified by Sennheiser were played, the backwall sounds are weak.

As you may know, I used this unit for bedroom viewing. This means that the bed header is very close to the wall. However, surround sound or even regular stereo is best heard when a chair is at least 3-feet from the wall. So I had it recalculated with the mike in the center and I'd sit at that spot to simulate normal surround seating, leaving air from behind. The surround, mostly the back, is still faint.

In the same room of several years ago when I'd play old Dolby movies, I had dedicated ceiling speakers and it was great. The loudspeakers still exist although I've long ago removed the equipment. I suppose I'm spoiled. But this bothers me because that was old technology and I was happy, then.

I played my favorite "Indiana Jones - Temple Of Doom" the beginning scene "Anything Goes". I remember having involvement with tap dancing of the dancing girls from all around. Not as much shoe to floor tapping sounds from all around, now. Sure, it's only a soundbar, no physical loudspeakers from top. But now it's Atmos. And I played the Dolby demo disc again to the same result.

As Stewrt mentioned, the app has difficulty in pairing with it.

In the beginning, it logged and paired. In fact, as I had ambient music playing softly on my Sony music server at my living room, it paired with that one! I discovered this as I was setting it up; I felt a slight vibration in the soundbar. A good thing, I thought. At least it sees WiFi before even telling it to. And it did. Later, it got screwed up, though. My iPad also lost WiFi. On my NightHawk modem/router, I noticed an unusual occurrence. The username and password changed.

The router settings were restored. I must point out that it's been raining and very humid in the east, these days. Humidity effects WiFi reception some.

I know these things happen and this may be an individual problem, but this never happened before and I thought worth mentioning. Plus, when I moved the working router closer in the same room as the Ambeo, it didn't matter whether it was WiFi or Ethernet hard wired. Now doesn't see WiFi or internet at all although all other devices (the television, Blu-ray player, iPad) do.

I'll have to do a thorough troubleshoot. My Oppo UDP-203 is new technology. I'll switch to my second Oppo, their highest level machine UDP-205, later. I'd hate to give up. Maybe (I hope) I'm doing something wrong. Initially, it paired with the app and received its update. I think it's important that I have this paired again for better settings with its app, first.

Last edited by TheBloop; 06-19-2019 at 09:38 AM.
post #251 of 413 Old 06-19-2019, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guelmi Salgado View Post
Quote:
So big !

Thanks !
First of all very nice drawing. Secondly instead of referring you to the manual, I will say that I think you'd be completely fine.

Thanks dude !
Why do you think it will be completely fine ?
post #252 of 413 Old 06-19-2019, 09:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Gosh. Been avoiding this thread, sorry guys. I'd hate to admit this, but I'll have to agree with Azurik on this one. I'm not getting "wowed" when I hear the Ambeo.

The effects are faint. I borrowed a Dolby demo disc with Atmos sample effects. The disc consists of various effects from movies and music. Clarity is fine. The effects, though, are faint. Even when the pink noise generated test tones of 5.1.4 as that specified by Sennheiser were played, the backwall sounds are weak.

As you may know, I used this unit for bedroom viewing. This means that the bed header is very close to the wall. However, surround sound or even regular stereo is best heard when a chair is at least 3-feet from the wall. So I had it recalculated with the mike in the center and I'd sit at that spot to simulate normal surround seating, leaving air from behind. The surround, mostly the back, is still faint.

In the same room of several years ago when I'd play old Dolby movies, I had dedicated ceiling speakers and it was great. The loudspeakers still exist although I've long ago removed the equipment. I suppose I'm spoiled. But this bothers me because that was old technology and I was happy, then.

I played my favorite "Indiana Jones - Temple Of Doom" the beginning scene "Anything Goes". I remember having involvement with tap dancing of the dancing girls from all around. Not as much shoe to floor tapping sounds from all around, now. Sure, it's only a soundbar, no physical loudspeakers from top. But now it's Atmos. And I played the Dolby demo disc again to the same result.

As Stewrt mentioned, the app has difficulty in pairing with it.

In the beginning, it logged and paired. In fact, as I had ambient music playing softly on my Sony music server at my living room, it paired with that one! I discovered this as I was setting it up; I felt a slight vibration in the soundbar. A good thing, I thought. At least it sees WiFi before even telling it to. And it did. Later, it got screwed up, though. My iPad also lost WiFi. On my NightHawk modem/router, I noticed an unusual occurrence. The username and password changed.

The router settings were restored. I must point out that it's been raining and very humid in the east, these days. Humidity effects WiFi reception some.

I know these things happen and this may be an individual problem, but this never happened before and I thought worth mentioning. Plus, when I moved the working router closer in the same room as the Ambeo, it didn't matter whether it was WiFi or Ethernet hard wired. Now doesn't see WiFi or internet at all although all other devices (the television, Blu-ray player, iPad) do.

I'll have to do a thorough troubleshoot. My Oppo UDP-203 is new technology. I'll switch to my second Oppo, their highest level machine UDP-205, later. I'd hate to give up. Maybe (I hope) I'm doing something wrong. Initially, it paired with the app and received its update. I think it's important that I have this paired again for better settings with its app, first.

Thanks for the honest assessment. I’m wondering if our expectations are too high for this device. We were told that through the wonders of digital processing, this product could do what was heretofore impossible: produce a convincing surround effect. I have had surround systems since the 80’s, and the effect (for most movies at least) is not very pronounced or noticeable, and that’s with separate, dedicated speakers and state of the art, high resolution surround codecs. If you doubt this and have such a system, try watching a film with the fronts disengaged. The point is, surround speakers merely supplement the experience. IMHO, side surround sound adds about 20%. Rear surround, Perhaps 5%. I know some will disagree, but this is how I see it. If this unit has a good front end and reasonably good bass response, that’s mainly what I’m looking for. More troublesome is the connection issues you related. Hopefully, this is just an outlier. As I’ve not heard of anyone else experiencing this as yet.

post #253 of 413 Old 06-19-2019, 10:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked: 314
This thing must be highly room dependent, in the sense that it may need a large enough room to breathe. I say this, because some reviewers are quite impressed, while others are not, and it seems that small room installations are the least the satisfactory.

Sound volume may be a contributory factor, but I'm really wondering about whether the front channels might overwhelm the reflected rears, possibly due to cancellation effects. In a small room there might be phase problems that simply cancel ambient sounds out. The front channels would not suffer such cancellation of effects because they are creating greater sound levels.

It's either this, or some defective units, because the variation between reviews is so great. And it's not just expectations raised too high, because some people are getting true surround effects, while others are not. Has anyone with problems contacted Sennheiser?

Last edited by taichi4; 06-19-2019 at 10:06 AM.
post #254 of 413 Old 06-19-2019, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthnut View Post
Thanks for the honest assessment. I’m wondering if our expectations are too high for this device. We were told that through the wonders of digital processing, this product could do what was heretofore impossible: produce a convincing surround effect. I have had surround systems since the 80’s, and the effect (for most movies at least) is not very pronounced or noticeable, and that’s with separate, dedicated speakers and state of the art, high resolution surround codecs. If you doubt this and have such a system, try watching a film with the fronts disengaged. The point is, surround speakers merely supplement the experience. IMHO, side surround sound adds about 20%. Rear surround, Perhaps 5%. I know some will disagree, but this is how I see it. If this unit has a good front end and reasonably good bass response, that’s mainly what I’m looking for. More troublesome is the connection issues you related. Hopefully, this is just an outlier. As I’ve not heard of anyone else experiencing this as yet.

Thanks Healthnut. I've been mainly thinking of you. I knew you and others were anxiously awaiting word from me. Nevertheless, I couldn't show up with fantasy words that I so wanted to write.

As an audiophile since 1994, lots of money (I'd rather not know) was poured on hi-fi items that really weren't as imagined. I tell my friends, don't become an audiophile! Yet I never go around badly criticizing items. I always blame my ears even though I hear very well. It's a hobby, it's supposed to be fun. But there's lots of money, of my own and many others, at stake here and they deserve an honest opinion.

I see you've gotten yours. Congratulations! Hope all goes well. If so, maybe you could share the appropriate steps done.

Days ago, I thought Azurik was missing something through his setup. Now I think that I am. Let's not forget that this is a one-box solution and not much should go wrong. Yet I refuse to doubt people who praised this thing. I'll have to work further on this. I'm sure Sennheiser wouldn't release crap, otherwise it'd ruin their good name. I'm not expecting better than old-fashioned performance, but I should get something. I do, but not nearly as much as expected from a very small room. Their's was in a open hotel.

Sound levels really need to be up if I'd expect anything. Means that the neighbors should be respected, so time is limited. And I have lots of discs.

Then, there may be other interferences: the BD player, the television. Maybe I got my connections wrong. Originally I plugged my disc players directly into the Ambeo with the eHDMI from the TV to the soundbar. But it wouldn't work. Maybe my equipment, although fairly new, is not compatible. I don't know.

If you all don't see much of my posting, it's because a pause is sometimes needed to do some thinking. You're certainly not forgotten.

Last edited by TheBloop; 06-19-2019 at 11:14 AM.
post #255 of 413 Old 06-19-2019, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi4 View Post
This thing must be highly room dependent, in the sense that it may need a large enough room to breathe. I say this, because some reviewers are quite impressed, while others are not, and it seems that small room installations are the least the satisfactory.

Sound volume may be a contributory factor, but I'm really wondering about whether the front channels might overwhelm the reflected rears, possibly due to cancellation effects. In a small room there might be phase problems that simply cancel ambient sounds out. The front channels would not suffer such cancellation of effects because they are creating greater sound levels.

It's either this, or some defective units, because the variation between reviews is so great. And it's not just expectations raised too high, because some people are getting true surround effects, while others are not. Has anyone with problems contacted Sennheiser?
This is what I'm thinking. Me and my wife closed our eyes and heard a bird on a demo go from one side of the room to the center to the other side extremely clearly. And this is to say that my wife was not a fan of spending this much on a speaker. She loves it.

Also for those having problems. Did you go on the app and put the ambeo on "boost" bc that made a big difference for me.

I have had problems with the app connecting and disconnecting whenever it feels like but I just press it and it connects again.
post #256 of 413 Old 06-19-2019, 12:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks Healthnut. I've been mainly thinking of you. I knew you and others were anxiously awaiting word from me. Nevertheless, I couldn't show up with fantasy words that I so wanted to write.

As an audiophile since 1994, lots of money (I'd rather not know) was poured on hi-fi items that really weren't as imagined. I tell my friends, don't become an audiophile! Yet I never go around badly criticizing items. I always blame my ears even though I hear very well. It's a hobby, it's supposed to be fun. But there's lots of money, of my own and many others, at stake here and they deserve an honest opinion.

I see you've gotten yours. Congratulations! Hope all goes well. If so, maybe you could share the appropriate steps done.

Days ago, I thought Azurik was missing something through his setup. Now I think that I am. Let's not forget that this is a one-box solution and not much should go wrong. Yet I refuse to doubt people who praised this thing. I'll have to work further on this. I'm sure Sennheiser wouldn't release crap, otherwise it'd ruin their good name. I'm not expecting better than old-fashioned performance, but I should get something. I do, but not nearly as much as expected from a very small room. Their's was in a open hotel.

Sound levels really need to be up if I'd expect anything. Means that the neighbors should be respected, so time is limited. And I have lots of discs.

Then, there may be other interferences: the BD player, the television. Maybe I got my connections wrong. Originally I plugged my disc players directly into the Ambeo with the eHDMI from the TV to the soundbar. But it wouldn't work. Maybe my equipment, although fairly new, is not compatible. I don't know.

If you all don't see much of my posting, it's because a pause is sometimes needed to do some thinking. You're certainly not forgotten.

You sound a lot like me: experienced, but not ruling out user error. I’m planning to install mine just as you did, using the Ambeo as a preamp and using the tv out to my LG C 9. What display do you have? Could there be a cable issue? Ruling out a problem with either, I’d be inclined to put the blame on the Ambeo. If it is the Ambeo, I hope they take care of you!

post #257 of 413 Old 06-19-2019, 12:16 PM

clarification

Quote:
Originally I plugged my disc players directly into the Ambeo with the eHDMI from the TV to the soundbar. But it wouldn't work.

For clarification, it worked, that is sound was working when blu-ray players were playing, but no picture. Therefore the disc players were hooked up directly to the monitor via HDMI and then the monitor was hooked up to the soundbar via ARC-HDMI.

I'll try all sorts of ideas, including to move it to another room, later. What can I lose!
post #258 of 413 Old 06-19-2019, 12:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I’ve usually separated my audio and video anyway (particularly 4k HDR), so I’m not anticipating this as an issue. I know the ARC and eARC implementation is very problematical at this time.

post #259 of 413 Old 06-19-2019, 12:51 PM

[QUOTE=healthnut;58202686]You sound a lot like me: experienced, but not ruling out user error. I’m planning to install mine just as you did, using the Ambeo as a preamp and using the tv out to my LG C 9. What display do you have? Could there be a cable issue? Ruling out a problem with either, I’d be inclined to put the blame on the Ambeo. If it is the Ambeo, I hope they take care of you!

The television is a Sony XBR.

HDMI cable used is a 2-meter silver AudioQuest Vodka. Rest assured, I reversed its direction as well as to switch working unit to not-working unit connections. Tried other cables, too.

I understand that compatibility is an issue between not only devices, but faster cables, too. Particularly when they're for 4K. Oh, shouldn't have mentioned that. Hope this thing doesn't interfere with ultra high def. One thing at a time.

One thing strange, though. Originally, sound wasn't processed through the Magnavox DVR. Sound would come out through the television speakers when the Ambeo was shut down, but not through the Ambeo. Then for some odd reason unknown (because I gave up from frustration and didn't touch anything) it worked later on its own! Same connection, same all. Weird.

That's why I really need a good troubleshoot, to start from the beginning. Trouble is logging in with their app, though.

Hope they take care of me? You bet. Remember when I mentioned Paypal in a previous post? I've used them before and if Sennheiser won't, they will.

Thanks, Healthnut.
post #260 of 413 Old 06-19-2019, 01:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I’m assuming you changed settings in your components to allow audio out from the Ambeo?
Also, it seems cable compatibility is all over the place now, particularly with 4k HDR. I’ve never had a problem with either Blue Jeans cables or MONOPRICE certified premium in passing 4k HDR.
Very glad to hear PayPal will help you if necessary, since this is how I bought mine!
I’m considering holding off on setting mine up until I move in the next couple of weeks, besides, I really don’t have a good spot in my present home for the Ambeo. Although my expectations have been tempered by recent feedback, I badly want to like this and hope I can!

post #261 of 413 Old 06-19-2019, 01:38 PM

Quote:
I’m assuming you changed settings in your components to allow audio out from the Ambeo?
Also, it seems cable compatibility is all over the place now, particularly with 4k HDR. I’ve never had a problem with either Blue Jeans cables or MONOPRICE certified premium in passing 4k HDR.
Very glad to hear PayPal will help you if necessary, since this is how I bought mine!
I’m considering holding off on setting mine up until I move in the next couple of weeks, besides, I really don’t have a good spot in my present home for the Ambeo. Although my expectations have been tempered by recent feedback, I badly want to like this and hope I can!

Hi Healthnut,

Thanks for your assistance.

Just double checked the connections. The AudioQuest Vodkas have arrows and their direction was correct, disc player to the TV with arrows going in that direction. Then I deliberately (wrongly) reversed them in both my Oppo UDP-203 and Mag DVR. Results are still the same.

These both work. When the Dolby test disc is played, the left-center-right channels are beautifully detected. It's the darn ambience that we crave for that's problematic. It's there, but perhaps not loud enough to bounce off the ceiling and walls.

I mentioned that I'll try a better Oppo. One good thing about those machines is they carry dedicated HDMI. If desired, they provide a separate connection for picture and another just for sound. Gotta leave, now. When I return, I'll experiment more. I'll do it the right way and even try the wrong way. Anything.

Don't get tempered about it. That's why I delayed in posting. Thanks to AVS, we'll work it out. Hey, it's part of the fun!
post #262 of 413 Old 06-19-2019, 01:52 PM
RBO
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 328
@hazelnut , if you are not going to be able to test its performance for perhaps a couple more weeks, I hope you at least open the box and check it over carefully for signs of possible damage including shaking it good for rattle sounds.
TheBloop likes this.

Russ (another one)
LG65 & 77C8PUA / Bose Soundbar 700 / OPPO UDP205 / Verizon FIOS TV One

"There are consequences to breaking the heart of a murdering b*****d." - BILL
C8/E8 Questions? Try JCC's_FAQ Or LiQiCE's_Wiki
post #263 of 413 Old 06-19-2019, 01:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hi Healthnut,

Thanks for your assistance.

Just double checked the connections. The AudioQuest Vodkas have arrows and their direction was correct, disc player to the TV with arrows going in that direction. Then I deliberately (wrongly) reversed them in both my Oppo UDP-203 and Mag DVR. Results are still the same.

These both work. When the Dolby test disc is played, the left-center-right channels are beautifully detected. It's the darn ambience that we crave for that's problematic. It's there, but perhaps not loud enough to bounce off the ceiling and walls.

I mentioned that I'll try a better Oppo. One good thing about those machines is they carry dedicated HDMI. If desired, they provide a separate connection for picture and another just for sound. Gotta leave, now. When I return, I'll experiment more. I'll do it the right way and even try the wrong way. Anything.

Don't get tempered about it. That's why I delayed in posting. Thanks to AVS, we'll work it out. Hey, it's part of the fun!

I greatly admire your patience and persistence: even after all the years I’ve lived I still have work to do in these areas. I think you will eventually get this optimized. You’re an early adopter, and we can all benefit from your efforts.

post #264 of 413 Old 06-19-2019, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBO View Post
@hazelnut , if you are not going to be able to test its performance for perhaps a couple more weeks, I hope you at least open the box and check it over carefully for signs of possible damage including shaking it good for rattle sounds.
Are you listening, uh. . . Hazelnut?! He's right. Open the box, check it out. You might be okay. If not, past a certain time frame, they (paypal and/or credit companies) won't wanna hear nutthin'.

I learned the hard way when I bought a Lost in Space robot replica. That's why I'm named TheBloop. Long story cut short, collectors invested in a replica cheaply priced in return for product support. When they went out of business, we all lost. That's never to happen again.

That's highly unlikely here. But you should check it out. And be careful with the box, foam, papers and everything else inside. Save everything and be neat with the device, no scratches. That goes for anything you buy.
post #265 of 413 Old 06-19-2019, 02:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBO View Post

I like hazelnuts, but if you meant healthnut, you make a good point. I really should check for damage. If there is any, better to get right on it. I think part of me is concerned that they’ll be performance issues, as some of the most recent posters have reported. This is a new product, and it wouldn’t be surprising if there’s some bugs to be worked out .

post #266 of 413 Old 06-19-2019, 03:51 PM

I just listened again, and I am a fan it impresses me every time. Put on a Taylor Swift concert captured in Dolby Atmos and I can't ask for much more. If you sit on the couch where there is a wall you can clearly hear rears.
healthnut likes this.
post #267 of 413 Old 06-19-2019, 05:09 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Would love to hear more comparisons by new owners/testers to the current crop of other Atmos soundbars N/Q950/St5000/SL10YG etc.
post #268 of 413 Old 06-19-2019, 05:32 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I am a bit wary about new device compatibility when it comes to the successful implementation of ARC and eARC, and the resulting component "handshake" that is required to pass a full bandwidth Atmos audio signal. I have seen it happen with other brands of newly launched equipment that weren't "talking" to each other through ARC/eARC properly, and then the source audio output defaulted to PCM output without the user (i.e. me) realizing it. If the full Atmos bandwidth does not actually reach the Ambeo to begin with, the results from the Ambeo may not be as expected.

Other forums have examples of new product launches with ARC/eARC compatibility issues that are sometimes sorted out by the manufacturer with firmware updates. It seems reasonable that Sennheiser could run into this with an all-new product launch.

Hopefully Sennheiser will actively engage with early-adopters of the Ambeo to identify launch issues, and release updates as needed to perfect the product.
post #269 of 413 Old 06-19-2019, 05:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked: 314
ARC is shaky technology at best, and seems to be a problem with almost all soundbars.

But it's clear from the experience of some reviewers that the Ambeo is capable of full surround effects. I still think this device needs ample room to work.
post #270 of 413 Old 06-19-2019, 05:49 PM
RBO
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Quote:
I like hazelnuts, but if you meant healthnut, you make a good point. I really should check for damage. If there is any, better to get right on it. I think part of me is concerned that they’ll be performance issues, as some of the most recent posters have reported. This is a new product, and it wouldn’t be surprising if there’s some bugs to be worked out .

LOL, sorry for the misnomer.

There was someone not too many weeks ago who had ordered, received and then left packaged a new LG C8 for more than two months while his house was undergoing some renovations. When he opened it up and tried it out he had issues with it that made him want to return it but he was then past the return window. Not sure how it finally got resolved for him if at all. Check out your purchase now and if you have to exchange it maybe you'll have a replacement just when you're ready to use it.

Russ (another one)
LG65 & 77C8PUA / Bose Soundbar 700 / OPPO UDP205 / Verizon FIOS TV One

"There are consequences to breaking the heart of a murdering b*****d." - BILL
C8/E8 Questions? Try JCC's_FAQ Or LiQiCE's_Wiki
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page