Can a sound bar work with multiple devices? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ellebob

post #1 of 6 Old 01-25-2018, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Can a sound bar work with multiple devices?

Hi everyone,

We are looking at purchasing a Samsung sound bar for our living room. We currently have a home theater system with multiple speakers, but we want to eliminate those and go with a sound bar for a much cleaner look. What I need to know is if it is possible for a sound bar to play sound for all of our devices. We want it to be able to provide sound for our DirecTV receiver, our Blu-ray player, as well as my husband's Xbox One and Playstation 4. Our current home theater receiver is plugged into the back of our TV via an optical cable. I am wondering what we would need to do in order to make our sound bar work with all of our devices.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-25-2018, 02:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I have the Samsung 750 soundbar which has 2 HDMI inputs and 1 HDMI output (TV-ARC). I have set it where I have a blu ray player connected directly to the HDMI1 input. My cable box is connected directly to the TV and then an HDMI cable goes from the TV-ARC input to the soundbar TV-ARC output. So you could follow this patter and connect your Xbox directly to the HDMI2 input....but not sure about your playstation, you may have to just switch out an HDMI input to run this or its possible you could connect directly to your tv HDMI as well, maybe someone else will confirm. I also have an optical input which I used to connect a CD player. I am pretty sure you will be able to connect them all but hopefully others will confirm. I also went from a home theater system and am pretty darn happy with the soundbar since I bought over black Friday.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-25-2018, 05:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 1889 Post(s)
Liked: 1085
Do all your devices currently connect to the TV and you use one optical cable to the receiver? If so you could easily replace the receiver with a sound bar. if all your devices go into the receiver you would probably need an HDMI switch as the most HDMI inputs I can think of on a sound bar is 3. You can get a sound bar with 2-3 HDMI input and use some of the inputs on your TV and still use the optical or ARC connection if the TV and sound bar use ARC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 01-25-2018, 06:09 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 127
FWIW, I was just reading features & specs on a 4 in / 1 out soundbar, the other day; the Yamaha YSP-5600.
Though I'm sure Ellebob's right that most, if not all other 4K HDR pass-through soundbars w/high HDMI inputs have: 3 in / 1 out.
And although I'm still a rookie in the realm of tv/audio etc, 3 in / 1 out would be the minimum I'd purchase.

Last edited by WinMod21; 01-25-2018 at 06:35 PM.
post #5 of 6 Old 01-25-2018, 08:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 1889 Post(s)
Liked: 1085
The YSP-5600 is a great sound bar but unfortunately it has the older HDMI chips and can't do 4K with HDR. I forget about it because of that. Considering your sources it might work well for you if your Blu-ray player is not 4K/HDR. It can do 4K just not HDR and WCG. Definitely needs a sub though.
karps1987 likes this.
post #6 of 6 Old 01-25-2018, 08:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 158
FYI

the Yamaha YSP-5600 is $1,600 from authorized dealers like Crutchfield.

Best Regards

Plenty of good sounders under $1,000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Tags
sound bar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page