• 1 Post By Micarina

post #1 of 24 Old 01-28-2018, 09:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 675 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Best Soundbars

Where is the best source for an unbiased list of the best high quality soundbars? Seems like most such sites carter to the cheapest or some such special criteria.

Sony 4K XBR55X930E, Sony 4K UBPX800 Blu-Ray Player, Sony HTST 5000 SoundBar, DirecTV 4K HS17 w/2 Mini Genies, Panamax MR5100 Power Manager, Harmony Elite Remote, Monoprice Cables
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 01-29-2018, 04:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 1887 Post(s)
Liked: 1084
First one has to decide which features are most important to them like sound quality, surround sound, Atmos, streaming, input witching, etc. There is no one best sound bar. A few things one can look at and narrow their choices.

1. Surround sound - The ones with surround speakers are going to do a better job than the ones without. Period. As long as one can place the surround speakers reasonably well. Of course not everyone is willing or can place surround speakers.

2. Better sound quality requires larger speakers. Many manufacturers are making sound bars smaller and just like TV speakers as they get smaller the sound gets worse. No amount of EQ/DSP can fix this. Lower midrange and upper bass above the crossover to the sub will always suffer. It is just like listening to use music with your phone on speaker phone. It'll do in a pinch but it won't sound great. This is an easily noticeable difference. Look for speakers with 4" or larger midrange drivers or at least multiple 3" drivers per channel. Also, if you want loud bigger is better.

3. Bass - models with subs will have better bass. The bigger the subwoofer the deeper and louder bass. No matter what the manufacturer states with its 3" or 4" subwoofer (cough, choke, LOL). Areal sub with a good sized driver will blow it away.

4. Highs - Models with tweeters and not trying to use 2-3 inch "full range" drivers will give better highs. It is not that 2 or 3 inch drivers can't go that high, they can. The problem again comes down to physics and when wavelengths are smaller than the size of drivers those frequencies will bean so you will not get good high everywhere in the room nor will the high reflect correctly off the walls.

5. Features - set your priorities. We live in a spec nation but specs rarely tell the whole story. Some of the best sounding sound bars with features mentioned above don't have HDMI and just optical. Well most source are only Dolby Digital so it doesn't matter. And the few that are lossless like Blu-ray when converted to Dolby digital or DTS do it with the least amount of compressions and the difference is minimal and most wouldn't be able to hear the difference. Here is an instance where features doesn't win for sound quality. Those tiny 2" speakers with a lossless source will not sound better than 4" speakers with a nearly lossless source. If you need HDMI for switching or some other features like streaming than go for sound bars that have those. If you want the best sound quality you might look at other features mentioned.

So figure out what is important to you and narrow your choices. I know some of us want it all but there is no perfect sound bar yet!
karps1987 likes this.
post #3 of 24 Old 01-29-2018, 04:49 AM

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49Merc View Post
Where is the best source for an unbiased list of the best high quality soundbars? Seems like most such sites carter to the cheapest or some such special criteria.
Check out the Nakamichi Shockwafe soundbars, best bang for your buck, puts even Sonos and Bose to shame.

Pro 7.1 DTS:X ($649.99):
https://www.amazon.com/Nakamichi-Sho...ichi+sound+bar

Elite 7.2 DTS:X ($799.99):

Ultra 9.2 DTS:X ($1,099.99):
WinMod21, 49Merc, Micarina and 2 others like this.

My current mancave room setup:
Vizio V436-G1 4K HDR TV | LG UBK90 4K Blu-ray player | Denon AVR-S740H AV Receiver (running 7.1 surround) | Xbox One X | Amazon Fire Stick 4K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 01-29-2018, 12:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoland2020 View Post
Check out the Nakamichi Shockwafe soundbars, best bang for your buck, puts even Sonos and Bose to shame.

Pretty tacky in terms of design. Didn't get great reviews, either. See this for example: https://www.cnet.com/products/nakami...fe-pro/review/
post #5 of 24 Old 01-29-2018, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan1 View Post
Pretty tacky in terms of design. Didn't get great reviews, either. See this for example: https://www.cnet.com/products/nakami...fe-pro/review/
That review was for the old 2016 model, the new 2017 models (Elite 7.2, Ultra 9.2, and Pro 7.1 DTS:X) got better reviews (especially from the Amazon reviews) than the 2016 Pro 7.1 model.

Vizio V436-G1 4K HDR TV | LG UBK90 4K Blu-ray player | Denon AVR-S740H AV Receiver (running 7.1 surround) | Xbox One X | Amazon Fire Stick 4K
post #6 of 24 Old 01-29-2018, 01:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoland2020 View Post
That review was for the old 2016 model, the new 2017 models (Elite 7.2, Ultra 9.2, and Pro 7.1 DTS:X) got better reviews (especially from the Amazon reviews) than the 2016 Pro 7.1 model.
And Fakespot indicates that many of those glowing Amazon reviews are fake....:

https://www.fakespot.com/product/nak...llite-speakers

Last edited by Ryan1; 01-29-2018 at 01:38 PM.
post #7 of 24 Old 01-30-2018, 07:24 AM

Quote:
And Fakespot indicates that many of those glowing Amazon reviews are fake....:

https://www.fakespot.com/product/nak...llite-speakers
And half of those fake Amazon reviewers don't speak for everyone though, all I gotta say is try it out & tell me what you've think.

post #8 of 24 Old 01-30-2018, 10:11 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Audioholics CES coverage - best new soundbars

John Dixon
post #9 of 24 Old 02-02-2018, 05:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV-NUT-99 View Post
Audioholics CES coverage - best new soundbars

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_3J...ature=youtu.be
That's not a soundbar. Its a box full of speakers...... look how huge that thing is! Ugly, big, bulky. Who has room for such a thing?
49Merc likes this.

(Living Room) Sony XBR-65X900E 4K TV, Sony UBP-X800 4K BD player, Pioneer SC-LX502, Def Tech BP9020's, A90 atmos, CS-9040 C and Di 5.5R surrounds

(Garage) Sherwood RX-4105 Receiver, Samsung DVD/CD player, Klipsch 2.5 med oak speakers
post #10 of 24 Old 02-03-2018, 02:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellebob View Post
First one has to decide which features are most important to them like sound quality, surround sound, Atmos, streaming, input witching, etc. There is no one best sound bar. A few things one can look at and narrow their choices.

1. Surround sound - The ones with surround speakers are going to do a better job than the ones without. Period. As long as one can place the surround speakers reasonably well. Of course not everyone is willing or can place surround speakers.

2. Better sound quality requires larger speakers. Many manufacturers are making sound bars smaller and just like TV speakers as they get smaller the sound gets worse. No amount of EQ/DSP can fix this. Lower midrange and upper bass above the crossover to the sub will always suffer. It is just like listening to use music with your phone on speaker phone. It'll do in a pinch but it won't sound great. This is an easily noticeable difference. Look for speakers with 4" or larger midrange drivers or at least multiple 3" drivers per channel. Also, if you want loud bigger is better.

3. Bass - models with subs will have better bass. The bigger the subwoofer the deeper and louder bass. No matter what the manufacturer states with its 3" or 4" subwoofer (cough, choke, LOL). Areal sub with a good sized driver will blow it away.

4. Highs - Models with tweeters and not trying to use 2-3 inch "full range" drivers will give better highs. It is not that 2 or 3 inch drivers can't go that high, they can. The problem again comes down to physics and when wavelengths are smaller than the size of drivers those frequencies will bean so you will not get good high everywhere in the room nor will the high reflect correctly off the walls.

5. Features - set your priorities. We live in a spec nation but specs rarely tell the whole story. Some of the best sounding sound bars with features mentioned above don't have HDMI and just optical. Well most source are only Dolby Digital so it doesn't matter. And the few that are lossless like Blu-ray when converted to Dolby digital or DTS do it with the least amount of compressions and the difference is minimal and most wouldn't be able to hear the difference. Here is an instance where features doesn't win for sound quality. Those tiny 2" speakers with a lossless source will not sound better than 4" speakers with a nearly lossless source. If you need HDMI for switching or some other features like streaming than go for sound bars that have those. If you want the best sound quality you might look at other features mentioned.

So figure out what is important to you and narrow your choices. I know some of us want it all but there is no perfect sound bar yet!

I agree with OP.

He asked for best soundbars and you give him the option of a dedicated speaker system. Im 100% sure he knows speakers would produce better sound but he isn't looking for that. I'm not either.

Many like me dont want speakers dangling everywhere especially for atmos. Or do not have the time or money for in wall installations. I am also looking for a soundbar. I very well know the shortcomings of sound from a single speaker however I guess we are looking for the best performance/sound in a sound bar.

It seems that in my research it boils down to the Sony HT5000 and the Yamaha YSP 5600

Last edited by DavidML3; 02-03-2018 at 02:39 PM.
post #11 of 24 Old 02-03-2018, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Decided on the Sony HT-ST5000.

Sony 4K XBR55X930E, Sony 4K UBPX800 Blu-Ray Player, Sony HTST 5000 SoundBar, DirecTV 4K HS17 w/2 Mini Genies, Panamax MR5100 Power Manager, Harmony Elite Remote, Monoprice Cables
post #12 of 24 Old 02-03-2018, 07:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidML3 View Post
I agree with OP.

He asked for best soundbars and you give him the option of a dedicated speaker system. Im 100% sure he knows speakers would produce better sound but he isn't looking for that. I'm not either.

Many like me dont want speakers dangling everywhere especially for atmos. Or do not have the time or money for in wall installations. I am also looking for a soundbar. I very well know the shortcomings of sound from a single speaker however I guess we are looking for the best performance/sound in a sound bar.

It seems that in my research it boils down to the Sony HT5000 and the Yamaha YSP 5600
I did no such thing. The options I listed were specifically related to sound bars. One has to decide what is more important to them. Some want features, some want surround sound, some want better quality sound. There is no sound bar that does everything the best. Between the two models you are looking I am very familiar but each has its tradeoffs.

The Yamaha has better sound quality and better surround/atmos sound IME. It needs a sub though it bass is weak without it. While it might sound like a winner it would depend on your sources. If you have 4K sources 4K with HDR it will not pass it to the TV because it uses the older HDMI chips that don't have enough bandwidth to handle anything besides basic 4K. No HDR, No wide color Gamut, no greater chroma sampling. So to use this sound bar with 4K/HDR sources besides the TV like Ultra Blu-ray, Roku 4K, Apple TV 4k, Nvidia Shield, etc. you need an HDMI splitter that can trick the EDID of the source. Something like the HDFury AVR key would work. That way the source can have one HDMI connected to the TV and the other HDMI from the splitter to go the sound bar. This is not an issue if using regular Blu-ray, or if you are just using the TV's built in Apps or your TV only has basic 4K and can't handle HDR or some of the other features of 4K.

Some might not want to deal with the extra complexity of this set up and just get the Sony. The Sony is not the better sounding sound bar. It definitely wins on convenience and features though. And for some its sound will be good enough. It's your choice which you want to go with.

There are also better sounding sound bars than both of these but they don't do Atmos, have as good surround effects or as many features as these. But these are the factors for one to decide. There is no perfect sound bar, pick the one that best fits your needs and situation.
karps1987 likes this.
post #13 of 24 Old 02-09-2018, 08:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 2726 Post(s)
Liked: 2498
The best sounding soundbars are 3.0 passive soundbars. They act just like individual speakers, just connected. You will need a receiver to power them.

Look to Golden Ear, Triad, James, Episode, PSB, Phase Tech, Def Tech ...

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
post #14 of 24 Old 02-15-2018, 02:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
Sound and Vision's review of the Nakamichi Pro 7.1 is considerably more positive,

https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...-system-review

Nevertheless, the new models are much more evolved, with larger upgraded drivers throughout, more substantial satellites that are two way, rather than using a single driver, and two 10 inch subs rather than one 8 inch subwoofer. The drivers in the new systems range from 2.75 inch to 3 inch, which are larger than those in most soundbars.

Last edited by taichi4; 02-15-2018 at 03:35 PM.
post #15 of 24 Old 02-22-2018, 09:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Decided on the Sony HT-ST5000.
Dumping the Sony already?
post #16 of 24 Old 02-22-2018, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
Dumping the Sony already?
No, my buddy bought one and is not happy. I talked into buying the 5000 so I feel sort of responsible.

post #17 of 24 Old 02-22-2018, 11:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

That's the problem with helping others get audio. It's kinda your fault if they don't like it. Good luck getting him straightened out.
49Merc likes this.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
post #18 of 24 Old 02-24-2018, 11:19 AM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
The best sounding soundbars are 3.0 passive soundbars. They act just like individual speakers, just connected. You will need a receiver to power them.

CAn I just use an Amplifier for the 3.0 passive speakers? or passive speaker in general? Instead of using a Receiver?
post #19 of 24 Old 02-24-2018, 11:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jincuteguy View Post
CAn I just use an Amplifier for the 3.0 passive speakers? or passive speaker in general? Instead of using a Receiver?
Yes. An independent amp is often a better solution than a similarly priced receiver.

That said, you need to feed the amp with a low-level signal from a pre-amp of some sort. Do you have something that will act as the pre-amp section? A bit more info regarding what you are trying to do and the equipment you are using would be beneficial in making recommendations.

Last edited by RayGuy; 02-24-2018 at 11:39 AM.
post #20 of 24 Old 02-24-2018, 03:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Episode and other companies make small amps that connect to the optical of the TV and will power a passive sound bar. They are small enough to fit behind the TV in most installations. So a receiver is not needed for a passive sound bar. What you give up in passive sound bars is all the processing for faux surround sound although some passive sound bars try to give some effect by changing the phase between their drivers. Many passive sound bars often use larger woofers and give better sound quality than most of the powered ones.
RayGuy likes this.
post #21 of 24 Old 02-25-2018, 07:57 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:

I guess ultimately it is a decision between audio performance and simplicity. If you want a good sound, it is going to occupy some of your space. Meanwhile you can go for simplicity but trust me, whatever simulated surround effects are very much subject to your room environment. If your listening environment is a room with uneven walls, I recommend you to at least get a pair of surround speakers to ensure proper surround effects.

If you are considering getting HT5000, there are a few alternatives in the market including Samsung K950, Bose SoundTouch 300 (more for wifi speakers) and I personally using Nakamichi Ultra 9.2. Each model has their pros and cons but so far, I feel Ultra 9.2 is the most balanced of all. I had listen to K950 and Bose 300. K950 is great with details but it is overpowering the dialog and the surround effects are way too prominent. Bose 300 has very rich mid (as usual) but don't expect any good details from it. Ultra 9.2 is by far the most balanced of all, with great dialog (very important, for me), massive bass, and surround effects with great details.

This is just for my experience and it is still up to you to decide what to do. I hope not to fall into the same trap as you. haha...

happy hunting!
49Merc likes this.

TV: LG OLED65C7P
Soundbar: Shockwafe Ultra 9.2 DTSX, "Looking for another set for bedroom"
Device: Amazon Fire TV Cube, Apple TV 4K, PS4 Pro, Xbox One X, Sony BluRay Player UBP-X800, Roku Ultra 4K,
post #22 of 24 Old 02-25-2018, 08:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micarina View Post
happy hunting!
There is no hunting for me. I work in this industry and was just sharing my experiences. I've installed a lot of these. Plus I have an education and background in acoustics and have done speaker design in the past.

For my own home I have 5 systems in my house. Three of them are TV systems with either a 2.0 or 2.1 set up with it. I could have used a sound bar with any one of these but sound bars simply don't have the sound quality of a decent pair of bookshelf speakers and I'm not as big of a fan of faux surround/Atmos effects. I do take sound bars home sometimes to 'test' them acoustically and the control functions of them. Ease of use is very important to me and my family. My other two systems are projector systems with a 5.2 and 7.2.4 configurations. The latter one might get changed to a 9.4.6 arrangement.

For sound bars where I work they carry Yamaha, Sony, Paradigm and Episode and occasionally a few others like Triad, Monitor Audio, Kef, etc. On installs I often run into equipment the customer bought elsewhere. Of those I see a lot of Samsung and Bose and an occasional LG or Vizio. I have only heard the Nakamichi and Creative sound bars at trade shows but I really like the Nakamichi. I doubt they will carry it where I work The Creative is nice too but pricey IMHO.
49Merc likes this.
post #23 of 24 Old 02-25-2018, 09:02 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
There is no hunting for me. I work in this industry and was just sharing my experiences. I've installed a lot of these. Plus I have an education and background in acoustics and have done speaker design in the past.

For my own home I have 5 systems in my house. Three of them are TV systems with either a 2.0 or 2.1 set up with it. I could have used a sound bar with any one of these but sound bars simply don't have the sound quality of a decent pair of bookshelf speakers and I'm not as big of a fan of faux surround/Atmos effects. I do take sound bars home sometimes to 'test' them acoustically and the control functions of them. Ease of use is very important to me and my family. My other two systems are projector systems with a 5.2 and 7.2.4 configurations. The latter one might get changed to a 9.4.6 arrangement.

For sound bars where I work they carry Yamaha, Sony, Paradigm and Episode and occasionally a few others like Triad, Monitor Audio, Kef, etc. On installs I often run into equipment the customer bought elsewhere. Of those I see a lot of Samsung and Bose and an occasional LG or Vizio. I have only heard the Nakamichi and Creative sound bars at trade shows but I really like the Nakamichi. I doubt they will carry it where I work The Creative is nice too but pricey IMHO.

Oh my bad. The “happy hunting” is meant for @49Merc

Yes I do feel that you know your stuff and your sharing is quite spot on.

Like what we all know, when it comes to audio system you really need to know what you want for a sound system. I think we have something in common- we both prefer discrete surround system. : )

Nakamichi is back recently with these quality soundbar products while creative is the very first time to range into soundbar market. It is always good to see more players coming in with more innovative ideas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
49Merc likes this.

TV: LG OLED65C7P
Soundbar: Shockwafe Ultra 9.2 DTSX, "Looking for another set for bedroom"
Device: Amazon Fire TV Cube, Apple TV 4K, PS4 Pro, Xbox One X, Sony BluRay Player UBP-X800, Roku Ultra 4K,
post #24 of 24 Old 02-27-2018, 05:30 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Passive is the way to go

Quote:

I agree. Out of necessity and WAF I got rid of all but two of my discrete speakers and sub, and went with a DefTech SSA-50 5.1 soundbar and a pair of DefTech Gems for Surround backs. I almost don't miss my old setup. This configuration does create a pretty good enveloping soundfield.

Yamaha RX-A770 | Definitive Technology Mythos SSA-50 | 2x Definitive Technology Mythos GEM Surround Back | 2x REL Q150E Subwoofers | PS4 Pro | Roku Ultra | Tivo Roamio OTA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page