Creative X-Fi Sonic Carrier Unboxing, Setup, Hands-On & Review - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 34Likes

post #31 of 136 Old 02-08-2018, 11:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked: 315
imagic:

Thanks for the thoughtful review (in progress). If I understand correctly, it sounds like a real 5.1.2 system, with perhaps the rear surround channels having a bit of a side channel emphasis?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 136 Old 02-08-2018, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 425 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8812 Post(s)
Liked: 15472
Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi4 View Post
imagic:

Thanks for the thoughtful review (in progress). If I understand correctly, it sounds like a real 5.1.2 system, with perhaps the rear surround channels having a bit of a side channel emphasis?
Yes that's right...

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #33 of 136 Old 02-08-2018, 11:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 8
The MSRP price seems way too high even if the sound quality is great.
New24K and Zoland2020 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 136 Old 02-08-2018, 12:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked: 1978
Thanks, Mark!

Good to know how far they can push soundbars--sure, it is not tiny as physics tends to get in the way. Yes, it won't be cheap because making something small or very large pushes up the price way off the "value" chart and WAF comes into play. Can I get something larger that gives better performance at a lower price? Absolutely! However, if you want the bestestest soundbar and the size/weight and price are not a major consideration--there ya go!

112dB at one meter bests many bookshelf speakers, many of them! Pretty cool to have that performance level from something so small(ish) It creates some form of a soundfield from a soundbar--congrats Creative to push the field forward. They actually created a dual driver, balanced subwoofer which costs more but has the punch to do something with more performance.

No way in HE double toothpicks I would have a need for the beast--unless I win the lotto. Being a picky, pain in the butt AVS'er should give an indication--I yap with the nameless/faceless people on the internet with a stupid nickname--do the math! However, if my wife knew she could get away with the Creative soundbar in the living room--my dead sexy subwoofers, surrounds pile O electronics would be gone within minutes.

Does this mean in 5 to 10 years the tech will allow reference level listening at 4 meters from a soundbar? Well, there is that graphene stuff that looks promising and Samsung owns Harmon International--could happen! Pretty cool for Creative, the techno tour de force of 1990's era soundcards can roll out of left field and push the industry forward (kicking and screaming) You can bet that Samsung has noted Creative and probably is taking apart one of those things in their Harmon labs--round one to Creative for now.

I just like the tech, even if I have no use for it--yet. Time to start adjusting my fragile, AV male ego now... the bedroom could use a soundbar but my "real man" multi-channel is in the living room so I'll adjust.

Looking forward to the full review, because somebody has to do it. Cheers!
post #35 of 136 Old 02-08-2018, 01:19 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsinnott View Post
This product baffles me...I totally understand the idea of a soundbar but for this kind of dough you could have a professional installer put speakers discreetly in the walls all over the room, pay for all the a/v gear which would sound better than any soundbar...and still have plenty of money left over!....I just don't seem who this product is aimed for...???
Exactly, I'm not spending over $5,000 for a soundbar, I'll much rather get Nakamichi Shockwafe Ultra 9.2 for just $1,200. It may not technically support Dolby Atmos (has native DTS:X support instead) but that soundbar in nearly every way blows Creative X-Fi Sonic Carrier out of the water!

My current mancave room setup:
Vizio V436-G1 4K HDR TV | LG UBK90 4K Blu-ray player | Denon AVR-S740H AV Receiver (running 5.1.2 Dolby Atmos and DTS:X) | Xbox One X | Roku Ultra (2018 model)
post #36 of 136 Old 02-08-2018, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoland2020 View Post
Exactly, I'm not spending over $5,000 for a soundbar, I'll much rather get Nakamichi Shockwafe Ultra 9.2 for just $1,200. It may not technically support Dolby Atmos (has native DTS:X support instead) but that soundbar in nearly every way blows Creative X-Fi Sonic Carrier out of the water!
Well, not just technically. Literally.

And if you look at the list of movies, streaming services, and video games that support DTS:X instead of Atmos it's, ummm... a bit unbalanced.

Not saying the "home theater in a box masquerading as soundbar" is not a great way to get sound for cheap, lots of folks seem thrilled with what Nakamichi has done with this. And certainly many people are saying the MSRP of the Sonic Carrier is too high for them. The price difference is large.

But also, remember... the CES shootout results that Nakamichi was touting... simply put, those are not credible (shootout run by manufacturer, show environment, yada yada).

Anyhow, it's clear that the Sonic Carrier is more of an enigma to folks than the Shockwafe, and obviously it's in a totally different price class.
OzHDHT and Zoland2020 like this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 02-08-2018 at 01:39 PM.
post #37 of 136 Old 02-08-2018, 04:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

To be frank, the Nakamichi has certain distinct advantages that are real, and not a matter of hype...discrete speakers for surround sound with separate tweeters and 3 inch drivers, as well as two subwoofers. The two subs alone overcome a lot of potential bass problems in most rooms.

Recently, Sound and Vision had a very good review of the Shockwafe Pro 7.1, which is a generation behind the new models.
post #38 of 136 Old 02-08-2018, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
To be frank, the Nakamichi has certain distinct advantages that are real, and not a matter of hype...discrete speakers for surround sound with separate tweeters and 3 inch drivers, as well as two subwoofers. The two subs alone overcome a lot of potential bass problems in most rooms.

Recently, Sound and Vision had a very good review of the Shockwafe Pro 7.1, which is a generation behind the new models.
And who can deny that, if you are cool with wired satellites that connect to the subs and what that entails, aesthetically, and also the lack of Atmos then great.

Two different things, IMO.

Anyhow some people love the Nak. Yippee. Too bad the one I was sent to review was recalled for an issue with firmware. Never did hear back about getting a replacement, I would have liked to check it out too.

Anyhow, regardless of others think, I'm having some great listening experiences with the Sonic Carrier.
OzHDHT likes this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 02-08-2018 at 05:13 PM.
post #39 of 136 Old 02-08-2018, 06:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked: 1978
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Not saying the "home theater in a box masquerading as soundbar" is not a great way to get sound for cheap, lots of folks seem thrilled with what Nakamichi has done with this.
HTiB Home Theater in a Bar...

I like it!

One must be realistic, and and all soundbars have flaws inherent in their design. If they didn't, you'd see Dolby Digital soundbars at your favorite theater--rapidly! Now it comes down to what you trade to get what feature, be it Atmos, high SPL capability, low frequency capability, features, size, weight and the list goes on an on.

IMHO, if I was going to get a soundbar--it would be for size, simplicity and not having crap hung all over the room. I'd want it to give me something for a sound field, it won't have to be perfect because I'm fully aware setting up seperate speakers in the proper locations in the room with mutliple subs, room treatments and calibration is the correct way.

What do you call a 2-channel self-amplified system with the source including in the enclosure? The old school term for that is "boom box" and a soundbar is the multi-channel version of that concept. Back in the day, I had a boom box with built-in subwoofers, 4 channels of amplification and I swapped the stock drivers with Alpine speaker plates--but it still was a boom box.

In Mark's defense, he is used to discrete systems so keeps an honest view of soundbars. Fighting over the "audiophile" checklist seems rather petty. Strangely enough, with the race in soundbars, we might be wishing for some of that technology to "trickle down" to lowly HT systems. The big movers for subwoofer tech was Earthquake and JL Audio back in the day, that tech then bled over to home audio and leaked into pro audio. Any audio technology can lift all the boats so having a soundbar punch 112dB at one meter is another class. That ain't Grandpa's Bose and it is nice to read about bleeding edge tech even if it is Home Theater in a Bar...
post #40 of 136 Old 02-08-2018, 06:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3325 Post(s)
Liked: 1877
only thing i am concerned with is how many db's it can be reliably called upon? I mean you probably have subs that can 120 db in your space, but what can the soundbar do? if it can do 95-100db maybe its ok.

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5, Magnepan LRS
Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP
post #41 of 136 Old 02-08-2018, 06:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I don't think the Nakamichi is a soundbar masquerading as HTIB. The latter tend to be considerably larger, require or come with an AVR, and have more of those "unsightly" wires that people are complaining about. The largest part of the Nakamichi are the subs, and I know of no HTIB that has two subs. Audio enthusiasts have long sung the virtues of dual subs, and now there is an affordable soundbar that provides them, which I find completely novel. That is no small thing.

For me a soundbar is a simpler system, and if it can provide more of the virtues of a discrete system, then that's great. For me sound is the thing, not aesthetics, but the Nak is not unaesthetic.

The Sonic Carrier seems to be a great choice for those who simply cannot abide more devices or wires, and who can afford it. Personally I am intrigued with devices like the Sonic Carrier, the upcoming Sennheiser, and the new Sony with its height engine. Any time you explore what can be achieved with acoustics and psychoacoustics it's fascinating, and pushes audio "science' forward.

In any event, this thread and others are discussion about features. Discussing those features and comparing them is neither petty or not petty. It's simply intrinsic to discussions of this sort.

Last edited by taichi4; 02-08-2018 at 07:04 PM.
post #42 of 136 Old 02-08-2018, 09:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by torii View Post
only thing i am concerned with is how many db's it can be reliably called upon? I mean you probably have subs that can 120 db in your space, but what can the soundbar do? if it can do 95-100db maybe its ok.
The Nakamichi apparently puts out 110 db according to specs. I couldn't find an SPL for the Sonic Carrier.

Interestingly, the Sonic Carrier's tweeters reach up to 40khz which is unusual, and should give a very detailed upper end.
post #43 of 136 Old 02-08-2018, 09:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked: 1529
Quote:

The Nak is a HTIB vs a soundbar with a sub, they are 2 different things. Why is this even a discussion?
OzHDHT likes this.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #44 of 136 Old 02-08-2018, 09:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post
The Nak is a HTIB vs a soundbar with a sub, they are 2 different things. Why is this even a discussion?
Because it's your opinion that it's an HTIB, not a fact. People have different opinions, and that provokes discussion.

A lot of people call the Nakamichi a soundbar, including industry people.

But you can call it whatever you like.
Zoland2020 likes this.
post #45 of 136 Old 02-08-2018, 11:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked: 1529
Quote:
Because it's your opinion that it's an HTIB, not a fact. People have different opinions, and that provokes discussion.

My god, if the industry people say that, then it must be true....
18Hurts likes this.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #46 of 136 Old 02-08-2018, 11:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonmichaelh View Post
Personally I would never trade your 5.1.4 system for this soundbar, even if it saved a little bit of money. At least you should feel good knowing that for movies and music your system should sound superior.

Obviously the soundbar wins on aesthetics, but you really only have two extra speakers for the surrounds with the RSL?s? The 5.1.4 kit contains four ceiling speakers which aren?t seen, and the front LCR?s shouldn?t look to much different than having a sound bar (maybe an exaggeration).

The soundbar seems to be about equal for max SPL and sub response. I?m guesstimating, maybe someone more familiar with the RSL?s can comment.

If you?re really unhappy with the dedicated setup, my guess is you won?t have to wait long for the 50% off deal on the street.
Me and a couple of others said exactly this to this guy when he was struggling to decide. A soundbar doesn't really come into if you have the full option for an actual multichannel surround system. If you've got an installation restriction, a WAF one, or insistent on a minimal room aesthetic, then a soundbar solution is the main option. Don't get me wrong I chose the Sonic Carrier for my living room also based on fact I didn't need to replicate, nor would my wife appreciate another multichannel system in my house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoGuy View Post
I think you are right. I should be happy with the RSL 5.1.4 set up. I will have the system professionally installed to my theater room next week and will get to experience the 5.1.4 sound from the RSL speakers.
I should not visit this "sound bar" forum section so I can get this Sonic Carrier sound bar out of my mind. LOL
Hopefully you can stop second guessing yourself after you get some time to properly enjoy your full system. You didn't cut corners on the receiver either nor that RSL speaker system. Maybe you'll have another room down the track that you can get a nice soundbar for. It's not uncommon to do so in my experience, I've got 3 rooms with them in my place.
post #47 of 136 Old 02-09-2018, 03:44 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
I now wish that I had ordered the Creative X-Fi Sonic Carrier instead of ordering the RSL CG3 5.1.4 Atmos speaker system and the Yamaha Aventage RX‑A2070. The cost of hiring people to install the speakers to my theater room, the cost of the RSL CG3 speakers, and the Yamaha receiver added to be more than the Sonic Carrier (with the CES 50% coupon code).

I still have a chance to return the RSL speakers and the Yamaha receiver but I will not be able to get the Sonic carrier with 50% sale price anymore. So I will have to go with installing the dedicated 5.1.4 Atmos set up. My room dimension is similar to yours Imagic and I hope that the 5.1.4 speakers all over the room will not be to unpleasant looking. I was debating between a dedicated 5.1.4 system and the Creative Sonic Carrier for so long but finally went with a dedicated system.

Having just a sound bar look so clean and neat though.
Quote:
I think you are right. I should be happy with the RSL 5.1.4 set up. I will have the system professionally installed to my theater room next week and will get to experience the 5.1.4 sound from the RSL speakers.
I should not visit this "sound bar" forum section so I can get this Sonic Carrier sound bar out of my mind. LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzHDHT View Post

Me and a couple of others said exactly this to this guy when he was struggling to decide. A soundbar doesn't really come into if you have the full option for an actual multichannel surround system. If you've got an installation restriction, a WAF one, or insistent on a minimal room aesthetic, then a soundbar solution is the main option. Don't get me wrong I chose the Sonic Carrier for my living room also based on fact I didn't need to replicate, nor would my wife appreciate another multichannel system in my house.

----

Hopefully you can stop second guessing yourself after you get some time to properly enjoy your full system. You didn't cut corners on the receiver either nor that RSL speaker system. Maybe you'll have another room down the track that you can get a nice soundbar for. It's not uncommon to do so in my experience, I've got 3 rooms with them in my place.
I feel is my responsibility to chime in here as well. Yes, of course, if you can do you a dedicated high-quality 5.1.4 surround system with separate speakers including in-ceiling Atmos, by all means do it. The keywords, with any audio application, are “usage scenarios.”

I’ve come to realize that the typical home theater enthusiast simply does not relate to the constraints of urban living in vertical cities. What makes no sense whatsoever to a resident of Texas can make perfect sense to someone who lives in London or Tokyo or Manhattan.

Anyhow, if you live in a house, you have sheet rock walls, you don’t have neighbors, and you’re allowed to drill holes and run cables, then boom you should do what you need to do to get a proper system installed. There’s no conversation there.

If you live in an urban loft with concrete walls, and your rent is higher than most mortgages, and you just dropped 15 grand in your 77 inch OLED… a killer soundbar is going to make a lot more sense.

And as @OzHDHT noted above, there are certainly situations in homes where in one room a full-on AVR based system withstand low speakers is justified whereas in another room a high-performance Soundbar is just the ticket.

Finally, let’s not forget that these days you can buy what amount of fancy clock radios for thousands of bucks, so there is clearly an established luxury market for high-performance products that repackage a taste of either the audio file or home theater experience into compact but pricey device.
OzHDHT and Jerry Sweas like this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #48 of 136 Old 02-09-2018, 03:56 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
The Nakamichi apparently puts out 110 db according to specs. I couldn't find an SPL for the Sonic Carrier.

Interestingly, the Sonic Carrier's tweeters reach up to 40khz which is unusual, and should give a very detailed upper end.
Nakamichi does not qualify its number (mode used, distance of measurement, measurement conditions), so I presume 110 dB is some measure of total peak output that's likely from 1 meter away, but not clear if that's anechoic or in-room and if any weighting was used and if the sub was included...

So far, the Sonic Carrier has measured louder and the bass has measured deeper than the Nakamichi specs. But, without more details (+/- how many dB? How was peak loudness measured?) for the Nakamichi I can't be sure it's apples-to-apples.

My quick & rough measurement showed 112 dB (Z-weighted with level-matched sub, pink noise at 1 meter) for the unit running in Ultra Wide X-Fi mode. This morning I'm taking a few more measurements.

The tweeters are quality aluminum-dome tweeters. I don't measure past 24,000 Hz but I can see that they are still going strong at frequencies I can't here.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 02-09-2018 at 07:19 AM.
post #49 of 136 Old 02-09-2018, 04:05 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Quote:

Let's start this with the all-important qualifier: IMO

The Nakamichi is a soundbar. Or rather, the front channels are housed in a soundbar. But it's also a Home Theater in a Box, because four speakers that you have to connect with wires to two wireless subs in order to make the system work is not "just" a soundbar, per se. But... if you are willing to do that, there's obviously a reward... you get 7.2 surround plus DTS:X with virtual height.

As far as perception goes, the Nakamichi looks good. However, it's a bit more "home theater in a box"-ish than some other solutions, including systems that offer true wireless surrounds and untethered subs.

Also, that's not a comment on how it sounds or what value you get, but rather on how it's marketed and why it's more affordable. If you have walmart distribution, you are making an "economy of scale" play for sure.

The Sonic Carrier has metal drivers and a rock-solid chassis. It is clearly built to a very high standard and is not necessarily intended to be a mass-market device. It does not need nor does it offer surround speakers, relying instead on a mix of reflected sound and processing.

It is purely a soundbar and the system ships in two boxes, on for the soundbar itself and one for the subwoofer. Therefore, IMO it is not a "home theater in a box."

In summary, the two systems are "on the surface" similar, yet in practice they are rather different things.

And by the way I have no problem believing that the Nakamichi satellites, if placed properly, create a better surround effect for the "behind your head" stuff than what any single-chassis soundbar solution can do. That's common sense, I suppose.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 02-09-2018 at 08:16 AM.
post #50 of 136 Old 02-09-2018, 07:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
My god, if the industry people say that, then it must be true....
You're right. Of course they must know less than you.
post #51 of 136 Old 02-09-2018, 07:47 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Bad news for me folks. I had a tough time sleeping last night because of a change in audio set up. In my previous post, I said that I already bought the RSL CG3 5.1.4 Atmos speaker system with the Yamaha rx-2070 receiver and was ready to experience great sound.

Unfortunately, yesterday, the professional speaker installer came to my home to evaluate my room to determine to cost of installing my speakers (in ceiling/wall) and we went up to my attic and found that the attic does not have access to my theater room. He said that due to the lack of attic access, he will have to punch multiple holes on my ceiling and walls to run the speaker cables. That is a lot of holes to do 9 speakers. I talked to my wife and she DOES NOT want to have that many holes in the ceiling and walls because trying to patch them up would leave scars to the ceiling and walls no matter how well they are patched up.

So the big WAF came into play and now I have to return the RSL speakers and the receiver. I have not even open any of the big 3 boxes that I received and they have been sitting in my garage for the last few days since I received them.

Now I have to make a complete U-turn on quest to have a good sound system. I am now leaning toward getting this Creative Sonic Carrier. Yesterday I contacted Creative and request that I can purchase the Carrier with 50% off. I know that the CES coupon code has expired on January 31 but I asked them anyway to see if they can still extend the 50% saving for me. They said that they will get back to me via email and tell me their decision. I am still waiting.

There is no way that I would pay for the MSRP for that Sonic Carrier soundbar. It is already a tough decision to buy it at 50% off.
If they will not sell me at 50% off, then my plan B would be to get the Nakamichi soundbar.
post #52 of 136 Old 02-09-2018, 08:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2325 Post(s)
Liked: 1130
Quote:
I talked to my wife and she DOES NOT want to have that many holes in the ceiling and walls because trying to patch them up would leave scars to the ceiling and walls no matter how well they are patched up.
How old is your house - and what type of ceiling/wall material is it made of?

Quote:
Yesterday I contacted Creative and request that I can purchase the Carrier with 50% off. I know that the CES coupon code has expired on January 31 but I asked them anyway to see if they can still extend the 50% saving for me. They said that they will get back to me via email and tell me their decision. I am still waiting.

There is no way that I would pay for the MSRP for that Sonic Carrier soundbar. It is already a tough decision to buy it at 50% off.
If they will not sell me at 50% off, then my plan B would be to get the Nakamichi soundbar.
No one is paying the MSRP for this thing - not even close - so your odds are pretty good.

Shopping List:
TV: Samsung Q90R, or LG C9, or Sony ...
Blu-ray: Panasonic UB820, or Sony X800M, or Pioneer Elite LX500
Soundbar: Samsung Q90R, or Sennheiser Ambeo, or...
AVR and Speakers: Marantz 8012, or... and GE Triton Reference, or...
post #53 of 136 Old 02-09-2018, 08:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Paper in Speaker Design

Quote:
Let's start this with the all-important qualifier: IMO

...As far as perception goes, the Nakamichi looks good, but in the end is a plastic chassis with paper drivers
Stereophile
2015 Recommended Components Loudspeakers

https://www.stereophile.com/content/...s-loudspeakers

"...Sony SS-AR2: $20,000/pair
...The SS-AR2's 1" soft-dome tweeter and its Scan-Speak 5" sliced-paper–cone midrange unit are the same as in the SS-AR1, as is the strategically braced cabinet construction: panels of Scandinavian birch with a 2"-thick front baffle of laminated Japanese maple...

DeVore Fidelity Orangutan O/96: $12,000/pair
...The wide-baffle design measures 28.25" H by 18" W by 12" D and has a 1" silk-dome tweeter and a 10" paper-cone woofer...

Triangle Signature Delta: $8000/pair
Triangle's Signature Delta is a three-way floorstander whose drivers and enclosure are all designed and manufactured in-house, said house being in France. Its two 7.3" fiberglass-cone woofers are loaded by a bifurcated reflex port on the front, while a 7.3" paper-cone midrange driver handles most of the audioband..."

Last edited by taichi4; 02-09-2018 at 08:27 AM.
post #54 of 136 Old 02-09-2018, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Stereophile
2015 Recommended Components Loudspeakers

https://www.stereophile.com/content/...s-loudspeakers

"...Sony SS-AR2: $20,000/pair

...The SS-AR2's 1" soft-dome tweeter and its Scan-Speak 5" sliced-paper–cone midrange unit are the same as in the SS-AR1, as is the strategically braced cabinet construction: panels of Scandinavian birch with a 2"-thick front baffle of laminated Japanese maple...

DeVore Fidelity Orangutan O/96: $12,000/pair

...The wide-baffle design measures 28.25" H by 18" W by 12" D and has a 1" silk-dome tweeter and a 10" paper-cone woofer...

Triangle Signature Delta: $8000/pair

Triangle's Signature Delta is a three-way floorstander whose drivers and enclosure are all designed and manufactured in-house, said house being in France. Its two 7.3" fiberglass-cone woofers are loaded by a bifurcated reflex port on the front, while a 7.3" paper-cone midrange driver handles most of the audioband..."
I deserve to be slapped for that, lol. OK.

Of course paper mid/woofers can be great. Except in beachfront mansion bathroom surround systems, I suppose.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #55 of 136 Old 02-09-2018, 08:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I deserve to be slapped for that, lol. OK.

Of course paper mid/woofers can be great. Except in beachfront mansion bathroom surround systems, I suppose.
That's why most modern paper designs are coated or treated.

But you're in Philly, right? As long as your tub doesn't overflow you're safe.
post #56 of 136 Old 02-09-2018, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Oh man... I just delved into the Sonic Carrier app. The customizability is absurd (for a soundbar, mind you). Each channel's level is adjustable in 0.5 dB increments, including the sub. Apply any upmixing mode you want to movies/music with numerous to choose from (basically, how wide and enveloping do you want it?). That includes both Dolby Atmos upmixing and Creative's own 15.2 SuperWide processing.

It's deep and if you have tools (REW and a UMIK-1 in my case) you can tweak this thing so that it's properly calibrated.

Lol that I waited this long to get the app and try it. It's blazing fast and much better than fumbling with a remote.
OzHDHT likes this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 02-09-2018 at 08:56 AM.
post #57 of 136 Old 02-09-2018, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New24K View Post
How old is your house - and what type of ceiling/wall material is it made of?

No one is paying the MSRP for this thing - not even close - so your odds are pretty good.
My house was built in 1999. My walls/ceiling are made of regular dry wall.

I just got an email from Creative. They said that I can still buy the Creative Sonic Carrier for 50% off.

Well, time to send back the RSL CG3 5.1.4 speaker system and the Yamaha RX2070 receiver. Time to order this expensive soundbar.

The silver lining is: 1. Neater and cleaner theater room. 2. Still save some money compared to the total price of the RSL speakers/receiver/professional speakers installer

Last edited by SanDiegoGuy; 02-09-2018 at 08:59 AM.
post #58 of 136 Old 02-09-2018, 09:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Drywall should give you good reflective qualities, and if you have a nice flat ceiling all the better.
post #59 of 136 Old 02-09-2018, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
My house was built in 1999. My walls/ceiling are made of regular dry wall.

I just got an email from Creative. They said that I can still buy the Creative Sonic Carrier for 50% off.

Well, time to send back the RSL CG3 5.1.4 speaker system and the Yamaha RX2070 receiver. Time to order this expensive soundbar.

The silver lining is: 1. Neater and cleaner theater room. 2. Still save some money compared to the total price of the RSL speakers/receiver/professional speakers installer
Quote:
Drywall should give you good reflective qualities, and if you have a nice flat ceiling all the better.
If you do not have a calibrated mic, spend $20 (or so) for a Dayton iMM-6 mic and use it with compatible software on your mobile device (it comes with a calibration profile). It'll be money well spent as you'll be able to use that to perform a highly accurate calibration; I was surprised to see exactly how accurate you can be with it.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 02-09-2018 at 09:30 AM.
post #60 of 136 Old 02-09-2018, 10:08 AM

Quote:
If you do not have a calibrated mic, spend $20 (or so) for a Dayton iMM-6 mic and use it with compatible software on your mobile device (it comes with a calibration profile). It'll be money well spent as you'll be able to use that to perform a highly accurate calibration; I was surprised to see exactly how accurate you can be with it.
Imagic,

My room is 10 feet by 15.5 feet with a 9 feet ceiling. My room is a a perfect rectangular box with flat ceiling with a single small flat light in the ceiling (no fan, no chandelier). I only have 1 door to enter and exit.

I hope that my small room will provide enough good reflection points/walls to provide good surround/atmos effects from the Sonic Carrier soundbar. Oh, my floor is laminated wood flooring but I already bought a huge 9.5 feet by 14 feet rug to cover the wood flooring for sound absorption.

By the way, I have no idea how to do calibration (let alone with specific software). I do not mind spending $20 but I need easy instructions on how to calibrate this Carrier soundbar. Is there a site or youtube video that can teach me how to do the calibration?

Last edited by SanDiegoGuy; 02-09-2018 at 10:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page