Sound Bar Problems - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 02-10-2018, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Sound Bar Problems

I have a Vizio SB4051 sound bar hooked up to my Samsung KS8000 and everything worked fine until about a week ago. The Vizio quit working while still hooked up to the HDMI ARC connection. After numerous calls to Samsung they finally sent a service truck out. Service guys couldn’t figure it out so they hooked up my DVD player to the HDMI ARC and it had the picture and played sound through the tv, not the soundbar.

Was told it was a sound bar problem, not the tv. Went out and bought a new Samsung sound bar and it seemed to work for maybe 30 seconds and stopped. Samsung has scheduled another service call for the tv so I need to get another sound bar now.

Here’s my real question. Can an HDMI ARC connection carry a video signal yet not have a sound signal? That may not be worded right but hopefully you all will know where m going with this since I don’t. With the two sound bars it looks like that HDMI ARC connection is frying the soundbars. I tried them both on a different tv and got nothing. I think they are fried. Can an HDMI ARC connection output a video signal and not output any audio? From what I am seeing it seems like something in that connection is causing the soundbars to not work anymore.

I’m out of my element so help an old man out if you can. Now I need to buy a new sound bar but I can’t hook it up until I find the problem. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-10-2018, 10:53 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 127
@Lgb01 -- Sorry, no idea. But it'll be interesting to see what the knowledgeable audio-techniphiles recommend for you to try and do.

So same HDMI cable was used for connecting the blu-ray player? So the cable is prob good. Although have you tried other HDMI cables to soundbar(s)... just for the heck of it?

And no changes had been made to either your tv or soundbar HDMI / input settings before problem arose?

And the blu-ray player was connected---with same HDMI cable > to same HDMI ARC port---and sent sound to tv's speakers? Which would mean the HDMI ARC port could not be hooked to soundbar at same time. So how was tv hooked-up to soundbar when blu-ray player was occupying the HDMI ARC port? Or how would tv sound be sent from tv to soundbar -- with blu-ray plugged into the tv's HDMI ARC? With an optical cable? If not, have you tried an optical cable from tv to soundbar(s)?

I think I've heard or might've read that an HDMI ports' internal chip or chipset can go bad. Not sure how you'd check that. But could it possibly be the tv HDMI ARC port?

Have you tried running your sources (ie- tv cable/sat, BD player, other media players) thru soundbar(s) first -- then just HDMI ARC (Out) > to TV ? Or have you tried other HDMI ports on tv?

In the meantime, you might try connecting an optical cable to your soundbar(s), if you haven't already, to see if that brings back audio to soundbar(s). Sorry I couldn't be of more help to you. Keep checking back, as some more knowledgeable mem's will surely be along. Just didn't want you to feel all alone. Best wishes getting it resolved.

EDIT: If nothing helpful was found in the soundbar manual .pdf's etc---on the soundbar website(s)---can you call or email their tech support?

Last edited by WinMod21; 02-10-2018 at 12:16 PM.
post #3 of 7 Old 02-10-2018, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

Been having problems getting this posted. They say it’s too short!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinMod21 View Post
@Lgb01 -- Sorry, no idea. But it'll be interesting to see what the knowledgeable audio-techniphiles recommend for you to try and do.

So same HDMI cable was used for connecting the blu-ray player? So the cable is prob good. Although have you tried other HDMI cables to soundbar(s)... just for the heck of it?

Was a different cable used but totally I’ve tried four of them and none worked.

And no changes had been made to either your tv or soundbar HDMI / input settings before problem arose?

****Nope****

And the blu-ray player was connected---with same HDMI cable > to same HDMI ARC port---and sent sound to tv's speakers? Which would mean the HDMI ARC port could not be hooked to soundbar at same time. So how was tv hooked-up to soundbar when blu-ray player was occupying the HDMI ARC port? Or how would tv sound be sent from tv to soundbar -- with blu-ray plugged into the tv's HDMI ARC? With an optical cable? If not, have you tried an optical cable from tv to soundbar(s)?

****Exactly. But this is what the technicians that were said they did and according to Samsung this was proof that my sound bar was bad, not their HDMI ARC connection. Optical works just fine but ARC gets rid of some remotes when working properly. Right now with it hooked up to optical and turned on I have to go into the tv settings and change the sound source to optical since it defaults when turned off to the tv speakers. Kind of a stupid setup but welcome to the world of Samsung.****

I think I've heard or might've read that an HDMI ports' internal chip or chipset can go bad. Not sure how you'd check that. But could it possibly be the tv HDMI ARC port?

****That’s along the lines I was thinking also. Just because it’s an HDMI connector doesn’t mean necessarily that the ARC feature is working properly. I think!!!****

Have you tried running your sources (ie- tv cable/sat, BD player, other media players) thru soundbar(s) first -- then just HDMI ARC (Out) > to TV ? Or have you tried other HDMI ports on tv?

****Update. I now think there is something electrically wrong with the ARC connection. I say this because I took both my Vizio and Samsung soundbars into my bedroom and hooked them up and couldn’t get any sound in their either. Made sure the tv speakers were off and the ARC was on. I think this Samsung tv somehow has fried two sound bars through its ARC connection.****

In the meantime, you might try connecting an optical cable to your soundbar(s), if you haven't already, to see if that brings back audio to soundbar(s). Sorry I couldn't be of more help to you. Keep checking back, as some more knowledgeable mem's will surely be along. Just didn't want you to feel all alone. Best wishes getting it resolved.

****Optical works fine but since I’ve gotta month of my factory warranty on this tv left, I want it working the way it should.****

EDIT: If nothing helpful was found in the soundbar manual .pdf's etc---on the soundbar website(s)---can you call or email their tech support?

****I’ve finally got them to agree to another service call next Friday. Now I have to go buy another sound bar that works. This time I’m going to have it ready to plug in but not have done anything, even turning it on, until they arrive!****

Thanks for you thoughts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 02-12-2018, 05:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lgb01 View Post
I have a Vizio SB4051 sound bar hooked up to my Samsung KS8000 and everything worked fine until about a week ago. The Vizio quit working while still hooked up to the HDMI ARC connection. After numerous calls to Samsung they finally sent a service truck out. Service guys couldn’t figure it out so they hooked up my DVD player to the HDMI ARC and it had the picture and played sound through the tv, not the soundbar.

Was told it was a sound bar problem, not the tv. Went out and bought a new Samsung sound bar and it seemed to work for maybe 30 seconds and stopped. Samsung has scheduled another service call for the tv so I need to get another sound bar now.

Here’s my real question. Can an HDMI ARC connection carry a video signal yet not have a sound signal? That may not be worded right but hopefully you all will know where m going with this since I don’t. With the two sound bars it looks like that HDMI ARC connection is frying the soundbars. I tried them both on a different tv and got nothing. I think they are fried. Can an HDMI ARC connection output a video signal and not output any audio? From what I am seeing it seems like something in that connection is causing the soundbars to not work anymore.

I’m out of my element so help an old man out if you can. Now I need to buy a new sound bar but I can’t hook it up until I find the problem. Thanks
If you check the forums on the Samsung website there are several threads concerning HDMI ARC issues, have you tried powering on the sound bar first and then the TV? its a problem on some of these TV's and Samsung doesn't appear to know how to fix it. I assume you have the TV's audio set to HDMI out? tried a reboot? have your anynet+ turned on?
hopefully you can get this figured out but if you read the forums over there you are not the only one with issues. Good Luck

I work to live and live for the beach.
Amateur HT enthusiast.
Samsung 65KS8500/Onkyo 656 AVR, Dolby 5.1.2 Atmos, SVS primes,
Sharp Quatron 3D 60" Onkyo 705 Bonus room
Sharp Quatron 60" Bedroom
post #5 of 7 Old 02-12-2018, 05:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I had the same problem. On the Samsung TV go into the Sound settings - Expert - and change back and forth from PCM.
There seems to be a communication problem that gets cleared up using this one time method.
post #6 of 7 Old 02-12-2018, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Yup, there’s one thread on the Samsung community board with almost 900 post on it concerning this same problem.

I have another service appointment this Friday and I feel better about it. Yesterday I took the old Vizio sound bar that they blamed the problem on and connected it to an LG tv in another room. The HDMI ARC feature worked perfectly! Hopefully I can recreate this while they are here.

Disconnected it and took it back to the Samsung and hooked it up with only the HDMI ARC feature and lo and behold it worked exactly how it was suppose to, for a whole 10 seconds. Then it went back to tv speakers again.

So, the only thing I can think of is that there is a short somewhere in the set because as soon as that connection starts warming up, the feature quits being useable!

This tv has the Samsung One Connect Box but I have had that replaced already and this problem still persists. Has to be something internally not connected to the HDMI ARC connector itself.
post #7 of 7 Old 08-05-2019, 02:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Same issue?

I know this thread is old but I think I'm having the same issue as "Lgb01"

I also have a 2016 Samsung KS8000 65" tv. A few weeks ago I purchased a Vizio SB36512-F6 atmos soundbar. My TV won't pass the Atmos audio through uncompressed so I plugged my Amazon 4k Firestick directly into the soundbar's HDMI input and plugged the TV ARC into the Soundbar's ARC.

Everything was great for a couple of days. I was pretty happy with sound. Then the soundbar stopped working. Vizio has indicator lights on the front showing its status. When I say stopped working, Everything went "dead" except for the indicator lights would cycle from one 1 to 7, resetting every 5 minutes and doing this over and over. If I unplugged the soundboard, I would get video briefly (Firestick home screen) but no audio and then after about 3 seconds it would restart and go through the same routine... I called Vizio support which was very helpful. There a multiple combinations of pressing buttons on the top of the soundbar to reset it, etc.. nothing worked. It wouldn't respond to anything.

I exchanged the soundbar at best buy for a new. This time, it worked great for a few days and then died. The exact same issue as the first one. I contacted Vizio's customer support and again nothing - we tried would bring it back to life. So, they just sent me a replacement which I haven't opened yet.

At this point I'm thinking its something I'm doing... My apartment is pretty old so I'm thinking it could be a power surge?? I just purchased a new Surge protector with UPS to be safe before setting up the new one. I also went to the extreme length of buying a new TV (OK its an excuse to buy a new TV) I bought the Vizio PX 65. The only thing I haven't replaced is the Firestick.

I'm honestly scared to plug the new soundbar in.. if it dies I'm out of options and probably out $300.

I did swap out the Firestick with my Blueray player a couple times (HDMI IN) on the soundbar but I can't imagine this would damage it... From the original post I'm thinking its the same problem- something to do with the Samsung's ARC. ??? I haven't had any other issues with this tV

Anyone have thoughts on this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page