Vizio SB3651-E6 36" 5.1 Channel SmartCast Soundbar System - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 02-20-2018, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Thumbs up Vizio SB3651-E6 36" 5.1 Channel SmartCast Soundbar System

Have been researching some sound bars to go along with my Visio P-65 panel and finally decided on the Vizio SB3651-E6 36" 5.1 Channel SmartCast Soundbar System.

For the same price i could have gotten the Vizio S4251w-B4 42-inch 5.1 Soundbar System which i believe is the old model (2013 onward) while the Vizio SB3651-E6 36" 5.1 Channel SmartCast Soundbar System is the newer 2017 model which includes HDMI ARC & Smartcast.

Will take 3-7 days for Costco to make delivery, but excited to have upgraded audio over stock panel speakers.

I used to have a full Sony surround system with receiver etc in my previous setup, but wished to go smaller and less complicated for my current needs. I have read a lot of positive reviews on the Vizio SB3651-E6 36" 5.1 Channel SmartCast Soundbar System. I didn't choose the Visio sound bar to match the brand of my brand new Visio P series panel, just turned out that way as it offered the best value for the money.

Once it arrives i am sure there will be questions about setup etc, but for now if you have this sound bar give us your impressions.

Cheers,
Sudz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 02-20-2018, 04:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I have had the sb3651-e6 for about 3 months now and have been very pleased with its performance. I have it paired with an LG 65” and the surround sound it achieves is great especially for the price. I’ve been recently experiencing some lip-sync lag after watching tv for long periods of time, but can be adjusted using the remote or app. Overall I would definitely recommend it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 22 Old 02-22-2018, 09:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I am considering buying this from Costco and was wondering if I can hook this up to a projector and would it adequate for a basement ht room. It is an unfinished room and I don?t want something loud, just wanna experience surround sound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 02-22-2018, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid369 View Post
I am considering buying this from Costco and was wondering if I can hook this up to a projector and would it adequate for a basement ht room. It is an unfinished room and I don?t want something loud, just wanna experience surround sound.
Not sure of that answer yet myself, my unit arrived today and i will be setting it up tonight and in a few days should know more about it. Unfortunately i could only research reviews and opinions as i couldn't find a location near me that stocked the item, but seeing the price was so reasonable i figured give it a try and if not i could always go to a full surround sound system with receiver like i had in past years and donate this to my sons gaming system!

I ordered from Costco Canada on Tuesday evening after work, it arrived on my doorstep (well almost haha) today! The UPS driver must have been dyslexic as he delivered to #17 instead of #71 ...but my older neighbor made a trip to ensure it got to me.

You might be best served to give a retailer a call and if they have a demo unit to put it though it's paces especially the sub for your environment and what you wish to experience. Costco usually has demo units going just call ahead make sure that they have one set up.

I have had full surround sound systems before however don't need that for my needs now, so hoping this will be the solution bridging the stock TV speakers and full surround system. Size of the room is a big item to think about, a home theater in a box or 5.1 soundbar systems generally have very small sub woofers in comparison and in a theater room you usually want a lot more punch.

I'll post on the weekend and let you know what i think, theater room in the basement is a different application over a living room.

Cheers.

Last edited by sudz; 02-22-2018 at 01:25 PM.
post #5 of 22 Old 02-22-2018, 06:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked: 456
Picked up this set from Best Buy today for the bedroom. I haven't gotten around to tweaking it much yet, and the wife is asleep in bed, so it'll have to wait.
I like the sound in Movie mode, though. Good bass and clear vocals. I'll try out some acoustic stuff tomorrow.

I'm replacing a Sony CTS-150 "surround" kit, and I definitely like having actual rear speakers, and they're small enough that the Mrs. doesn't mind one on her nightstand. I've got the "sub" on the floor between the bed and my nightstand. I like this position better than the Sony wired sub, which had to be up front, and in our case, on top of a 1930's school desk.

I have an older Sammy plasma without ARC or HDMI out, so it took me several hours to finally realize how to get both my mini Genie and AppleTV connected at the same time. I think. I hooked it up, but haven't messed with it yet.

All in all, I'm pretty happy Day 1. I'll report back.
post #6 of 22 Old 02-23-2018, 03:49 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 97
I picked up this system yesterday from Sam's. Much better sound then my Samsung 4k TV. I haven't found any settings for tweaking the sound yet. Was wondering if anyone has seen any?

PSN ID : AVS Dash
post #7 of 22 Old 02-23-2018, 05:56 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
You are able to adjust everything using the remote, or the app. I found the remote to be awesome for this price point, you can really fine tune the sound to where you want it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #8 of 22 Old 02-23-2018, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter

There is another thread discussing the SB3651...

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/195-so...ection-14.html

I'll post updates as i dial in some changes. I do notice a change in sound when i set my panel from Bitstream or Dolby Digital, although i have the bitstream selected i believe i liked the Dolby setting better overall. Have been reading and some prefer one or the other, haven't found a consensus on what is different between the two in order to make an educated choice. For now i have bitstream, going to read up some more and toggle between both later tonight see what sounds better in my particular case.

Think i will post in the forum i listed above to keep everything in one place.

Here is what i posted earlier today................

Received my new soundbar SB3651 to pair with my new P65 panel, word of advice is to use the Smartcast App to put in all your setting as the remote paired with the lights on the bar itself is pretty brutal. The Smartcast App on the other hand is awesome to use for the soundbar setup, can dial in the numbers for all the settings and if you have a visio panel you can also use the app for that too.

I connected the SB3651 through the HDMI (ARC) port to the Panel, set up the audio on the panel to Bitstream, CEC enabled HDMI (ARC). Tried setting up the soundbar with the remote but saying that was painful is an understatement, nothing but frustration there. Luckily the Smartcast App is a jewel, so added the device to the App and proceeded to set each parameter for sound to figure out a good initial setting. With the App you can adjust each setting to an exact value, using the remote you go by the lights on the bar and it is pretty confusing.

Initial settings i am using:
Bass 0, treble 0, center 0, surround volume 0, surround balance 0, Sub woofer 3, EQ mode "movie", surround sound "on", TRU volume "off", night mode "off", AV delay 0.

Will be streaming some more 5.1 content to dial in my numbers some more, but pretty content at the moment.

I am watching TV with a volume level of 13, watching movies at a level of 22....believe the max is 31 and it is clear all the way to maximum.

Might try upping the bass level a bit more, or perhaps the surround sound level a tad more, but a really good upgrade for sure. Having no issues with the sound bar turning on and off with the tv power, and no issue with any disconnects. Sound bar is working flawlessly, as mentioned once i was able to use the Smartcast app for set up everything became easy.

Will post once i am able to view some content and can give some valid feedback, initial thoughts however is this is an awesome unit.

Vizio P65-E1
Vizio SB3651-E6
PS4
post #9 of 22 Old 02-23-2018, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash525 View Post
I picked up this system yesterday from Sam's. Much better sound then my Samsung 4k TV. I haven't found any settings for tweaking the sound yet. Was wondering if anyone has seen any?
Changed a few settings today, no doubt as i play different source material i'll fine tune it some more.

Bass 0, treble -2, center 0, surround volume 2, surround balance 2, Sub woofer 3, EQ mode "movie", surround sound "on", TRU volume "off", night mode "off", AV delay 0.

I have one rear speaker a bit further out than the other so that is the reason for the change on surround balance.

Changing the bass by the smallest increment seems to have a large swing, not sure if others found that to be the case. Tried the bass at 3, 2 & 1 but in the end set it back to 0 and turned the treble to -2 instead to get better balance.
post #10 of 22 Old 02-23-2018, 03:56 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is anyone else having any issues with the subwoofer making a faint but clearly audible popping sound? It only happens to me when streaming a live tv feed via my Apple TV 4K such as directv now or the espn app. These feeds only give me two channel audio. Netflix and other items which give me higher quality audio don?t make the popping sound even though they also come from the Apple TV.

The sound goes away when watching live streams when i switch the EQ mode to Movie, but that results in a static sound in the rear speakers whenever I watch Netflix. I hear it both hooked directly to the HDMI input and using the optical input from the television. I haven?t changed any other settings.

Any ideas would be appreciated!
post #11 of 22 Old 02-23-2018, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

Only had the sound bar for a couple of days here and apart from the initial setup with that darn remote, everything else has been problem free.

I haven't read too much about a popping sound either, did come across a hissing sound from both rear speakers which i believed was due to a setting issue, but not anything on popping.

Hopefully some posters will be able to give some support.

Vizio P65-E1
Vizio SB3651-E6
PS4
post #12 of 22 Old 02-23-2018, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudz View Post
Only had the sound bar for a couple of days here and apart from the initial setup with that darn remote, everything else has been problem free.

I haven't read too much about a popping sound either, did come across a hissing sound from both rear speakers which i believed was due to a setting issue, but not anything on popping.

Hopefully some posters will be able to give some support.
The slight hissing sound when away for me when I swapped from MOVIE to DIRECT so perhaps that will resolve your issue as well.
post #13 of 22 Old 02-24-2018, 02:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I got this soundbar too and pairing it with my projector. I am not sure how to change the pcm or digital. Using hdmi 1 to the projector and hdmi in to connect amazon fire tv.
post #14 of 22 Old 02-24-2018, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravagedsnail View Post
Is anyone else having any issues with the subwoofer making a faint but clearly audible popping sound? It only happens to me when streaming a live tv feed via my Apple TV 4K such as directv now or the espn app. These feeds only give me two channel audio. Netflix and other items which give me higher quality audio don?t make the popping sound even though they also come from the Apple TV.

The sound goes away when watching live streams when i switch the EQ mode to Movie, but that results in a static sound in the rear speakers whenever I watch Netflix. I hear it both hooked directly to the HDMI input and using the optical input from the television. I haven?t changed any other settings.

Discovered today that if I change my TV output from Bitstream to PCM I also hear the noise in the subwoofer regardless of whether I am watching a source that has 5.1 sound (netflix) or if I?m watching source that?s does not have 5.1 sound (directv now). Not sure if that will give anyone any hints on what might help me out.
post #15 of 22 Old 03-19-2018, 06:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:

Mine is doing the EXACT same thing. I had to change to DIRECT MODE in order for the hissing to go away. So, 5.1 sources like NETFLIX and PRIME sound pretty good. However, when I go to a stereo source afterwards, while still in DIRECT MODE (such as DIRECTVNOW like you), then I get this faint popping sound from the sub. When I change back to MOVIE MODE for my stereo source, then the popping from the sub goes away. Very annoying to have to switch back and forth.

I don't know if I should return it for another brand....seems like others have experienced the same issue so another one of the same thing likely won't fix it. Is there a way to manually update the firmware? I didn't see an option to update firmware in the smartcast app.

Thank you!
post #16 of 22 Old 02-23-2020, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
is it me or are the satelite speakers practically useless
post #17 of 22 Old 02-23-2020, 03:36 PM

it almost feels like a downgrade going from the 3621
post #18 of 22 Old 03-06-2020, 05:25 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Bought mine from Costco last week. Sounds good, but I'm having a few problems:
-audio lag (mostly on my Firestick)
-EQ Direct seems to turn surround sound off
-after turning soundbar off, a few hours later it would turn back on, after switching from HDMI ARC to audio cable, I believe it's fixed.
post #19 of 22 Old 03-17-2020, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roland6465 View Post
Picked up this set from Best Buy today for the bedroom. I haven't gotten around to tweaking it much yet, and the wife is asleep in bed, so it'll have to wait.
I like the sound in Movie mode, though. Good bass and clear vocals. I'll try out some acoustic stuff tomorrow.

I'm replacing a Sony CTS-150 "surround" kit, and I definitely like having actual rear speakers, and they're small enough that the Mrs. doesn't mind one on her nightstand. I've got the "sub" on the floor between the bed and my nightstand. I like this position better than the Sony wired sub, which had to be up front, and in our case, on top of a 1930's school desk.

I have an older Sammy plasma without ARC or HDMI out, so it took me several hours to finally realize how to get both my mini Genie and AppleTV connected at the same time. I think. I hooked it up, but haven't messed with it yet.

All in all, I'm pretty happy Day 1. I'll report back.
bedroom yikes overkill in my opinion 2.1 would break your windows let alone 5.1
post #20 of 22 Old 03-17-2020, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Changed a few settings today, no doubt as i play different source material i'll fine tune it some more.

Bass 0, treble -2, center 0, surround volume 2, surround balance 2, Sub woofer 3, EQ mode "movie", surround sound "on", TRU volume "off", night mode "off", AV delay 0.

I have one rear speaker a bit further out than the other so that is the reason for the change on surround balance.

Changing the bass by the smallest increment seems to have a large swing, not sure if others found that to be the case. Tried the bass at 3, 2 & 1 but in the end set it back to 0 and turned the treble to -2 instead to get better balance.
man direct eq blows movie and music away depending on the format especially on kodi although u have to have kodi set to 2.0 ironically. and direct is meant the way the director intended it although some sources ie direct does disable sat's aka cable tv
post #21 of 22 Old 03-17-2020, 11:22 AM

Quote:

surround off???
post #22 of 22 Old 03-17-2020, 11:24 AM

Quote:

yes set the sub lower honestly my sub max vs min is not a huge difference but yea on high i definately get rattle depending on the scene
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page