Samsung HW-N950 Soundbar 7.1.4 Dolby Atmos - Page 101 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 976Likes

post #3001 of 3020 Old 11-13-2019, 09:11 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by N3wtclguy View Post
so yours is like this? this is how i currently have it. and idk how its going to be in the end, just really limited with options as far as how i can put my tv/furniture.
Is the red box the sub?

What if you just swap locations of the sub and tv/soundbar?

That way at least you optimize sound and viewing for the small couch. Or else it’s a compromise for all seating positions.

Nvidia Shield - Zidoo X9S - HTPC/MPC-HC
Oppo 203 - Samsung HW-N950 - 7.2.4
LG 86UH9500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3002 of 3020 Old 11-13-2019, 12:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1823 Post(s)
Liked: 1167
Quote:
I never actually thought about that speaker placement. I do have a large bookshelf there as well that the speaker could sit nicely at and not be in the way of anything, there's also a wall socket there since it has to be plugged in. do you of any good sound test to use? i mean other than my ears....i dont think the n950 has any room correction or calibration unless i missed it.
See @ntxoa 's article link on equalization of sound. I strongly suggest you use the SmartThings App for Custom equalization. You can adjust settings on the fly as you listen to material and save them to a "custom" EQ. While you can only save a single Custom, you can change it & resave as needed. After about six months I am just about happy with my current EQ for my room. Good luck.
post #3003 of 3020 Old 11-13-2019, 01:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntxoa View Post
Is the red box the sub?

What if you just swap locations of the sub and tv/soundbar?

That way at least you optimize sound and viewing for the small couch. Or else it’s a compromise for all seating positions.
so you're saying leave the surrounds and then put the tv where the sub is?
That's one of the 3 positions of the tv we were looking at.
1. the corner (where it is now)
2. the wall to the right of the corner (where sub is in diagram)
3. above the fireplace?? make a faux wall (just idea at the moment)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3004 of 3020 Old 11-13-2019, 02:40 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
so you're saying leave the surrounds and then put the tv where the sub is?
That's one of the 3 positions of the tv we were looking at.
1. the corner (where it is now)
2. the wall to the right of the corner (where sub is in diagram)
3. above the fireplace?? make a faux wall (just idea at the moment)
Yes, leave the surrounds and switch tv and sub locations.

If the fireplace wall is an option, I think that would work best as far as the side firing speakers. And the surrounds would work well in the space behind the big couch. All 4 overheads have a good chance to fill the room too.

But above the fireplace is a bit too high. I actually have mine on a 27” high stand in front of my fireplace which I don’t use.

How is the ceiling layout? Flat, or at least symmetrical L/R if you do the fireplace option?

Nvidia Shield - Zidoo X9S - HTPC/MPC-HC
Oppo 203 - Samsung HW-N950 - 7.2.4
LG 86UH9500

Last edited by ntxoa; 11-13-2019 at 02:44 PM.
post #3005 of 3020 Old 11-13-2019, 06:05 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntxoa View Post
Yes, leave the surrounds and switch tv and sub locations.

If the fireplace wall is an option, I think that would work best as far as the side firing speakers. And the surrounds would work well in the space behind the big couch. All 4 overheads have a good chance to fill the room too.

But above the fireplace is a bit too high. I actually have mine on a 27” high stand in front of my fireplace which I don’t use.

How is the ceiling layout? Flat, or at least symmetrical L/R if you do the fireplace option?
The ceiling is flat all the way around 8ft. I wish I had gotten a sectional and then did the fireplace thing now. it may not be too late, i think im within my 30days still or close to it.

Gonna measure the fireplace today, as the tv is 65in q80r.
I kinda am afraid of putting it to high as well I currently have the 55 on a stand where the top of my head from seating is almost mid point of tv screen. Idk how others put them so high and watch on a consistent basis.
post #3006 of 3020 Old 11-18-2019, 12:30 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmaus View Post
When i disable cec I cannot select the soundbar in tv settings (hdmi cannot be selected only wifi).
When I do it without selecting soundbar it doenst help 😞.
In wifi the delay is much worse.
Mine has been doing some odd things upon startup recently.

I'm using the 2019 Shield TV, and I think it has something to do with the CEC handshake from it.
It was working fine when I had the fire tv 4k stick previously.

I'm going to dig into the many settings of the shield cec menu and see if it's something there, or really something with the N950.

Other than that I am really impressed with the sound so far.
post #3007 of 3020 Old 11-20-2019, 07:10 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone ever figure out a good solution to mounting this thing to a TV wall mount?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffaudio View Post
I did not have success mounting the soundbar to a tv wall mount. The bar was just too heavy even though the soundbar adapter was rated for enough weight, it just leaned forward due to where the weight was distributed. The brackets included really need a flat rigid surface that the entire back can rest into. Maybe someone else had better success than I did?

I came across this post on Amazon, although it's for a different model. Think this could help?

https://www.amazon.com/ask/questions...dp_dpmw_al_hza
Quote:
Just completed a successful top-of-TV install with a new Samsung HW-M550, which has no holes on the rear of unit. Pro tip: Samsung soundbars come with wall mount brackets that slip over a plastic peg screwed to the wall. The hole in the bracket is gigantic. Solution is 1/4" x 1 1/4" fender washers - I got a pack of six at Home Depot. Screw the wall mount brackets onto the soundbar (holes are on the underside) upside down. Then bolt each bracket onto the Mount-It! Soundbar mount arm using two fender washers, one on each side of the wall mount bracket, and the 1/4' x 20 bolt and nut provided in the Mount-It! packaging. No drilling required.
post #3008 of 3020 Old 11-23-2019, 09:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by naustin View Post
From Page 27 of the User Manual Anynet is CEC...
CEC was already turned on - however turning it off and back on again seems to have done the trick (fingers crossed). TV-ARC stays on more reliably now. At least, has been for the last week. THANK YOU.
naustin likes this.
post #3009 of 3020 Old 11-28-2019, 03:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 902 Post(s)
Liked: 500
Hope someone can help or advise me. Today arc stopped working between my lgg7p and my Samsung n950 soundboard Tv internal speakers work and anything I put into an world through TVs but arc does nothing from tv to an. Did complete reset of both no luck. Any suggestions would be appreciated
post #3010 of 3020 Old 11-28-2019, 08:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by william06 View Post
Hope someone can help or advise me. Today arc stopped working between my lgg7p and my Samsung n950 soundboard Tv internal speakers work and anything I put into an world through TVs but arc does nothing from tv to an. Did complete reset of both no luck. Any suggestions would be appreciated
Are you seeing D.In ARC on the Soundbar when you cycle through the inputs? I am assuming you physically unplugged both the TV and the SB then started the TV before plugging/introducing the SB. Here's the full SB reset Samsung sent me via an earlier Online Chat:

1. Power Cycle SB by unplugging for 60 seconds then turn on. Check you toggle to the Wifi Option (I could not see a Wifi option).

2.Press and hold both the Volume + and - buttons until you see the POWER OFF msg on the LED screen.

3. Power the Soundbar back on and Toggle to WiFi (I got a big beep on Wifi connecting via SmartThings).

Good luck.
post #3011 of 3020 Old 11-28-2019, 09:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naustin View Post
Are you seeing D.In ARC on the Soundbar when you cycle through the inputs? I am assuming you physically unplugged both the TV and the SB then started the TV before plugging/introducing the SB. Here's the full SB reset Samsung sent me via an earlier Online Chat:

1. Power Cycle SB by unplugging for 60 seconds then turn on. Check you toggle to the Wifi Option (I could not see a Wifi option).

2.Press and hold both the Volume + and - buttons until you see the POWER OFF msg on the LED screen.

3. Power the Soundbar back on and Toggle to WiFi (I got a big beep on Wifi connecting via SmartThings).

Good luck.
I found my issue a new device in my switch was causing the issue once I pulled the switch out of my system all went back to normal. Just have to find the culprit thats causes it or might be the switch itself.
naustin likes this.

Lg oled65G7P
Panasonic UB9000 pioneer lx500
atv4k -roku ultra
Toshiba Xa2 HD-DVD
Samsung HW-N950 soundbar
post #3012 of 3020 Old 12-04-2019, 07:51 AM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Doe anyone here connected the soundbar to AVR? I know its crazy thought, nullifies the whole point of soundbar. I am tired of keep experimenting with HDMI switches, latest being ViewHD switch. Probably putting money on AVR be best. Planing to connect all the video devices to AVR and to projector. Just the audio out from AVR to soundbar. This Soundbar is phenomenal, I don't want to give up on it yet. Any thoughts?
longhorn23 likes this.
post #3013 of 3020 Old 12-04-2019, 11:29 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by satyab View Post
Doe anyone here connected the soundbar to AVR? I know its crazy thought, nullifies the whole point of soundbar. I am tired of keep experimenting with HDMI switches, latest being ViewHD switch. Probably putting money on AVR be best. Planing to connect all the video devices to AVR and to projector. Just the audio out from AVR to soundbar. This Soundbar is phenomenal, I don't want to give up on it yet. Any thoughts?
That's been my biggest problem too. Finding a switch that works with HDR/Dolby Vision. This Roofull switch was the last one I tried that didn't work. It would just randomly freeze on me and I would get no audio or would not be able to switch inputs without unplugging the power. Does anyone know of any HDMI switches that work with Dolby Vision that also have 5 HDMI inputs? Thanks for the help.

https://www.amazon.com/ROOFULL-Switc...language=en_US
post #3014 of 3020 Old 12-04-2019, 12:39 PM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 66
I bought a 4x1 ViewHD a couple months back and have had zero issues. I have a 2019 shield TV and ps4 pro connected to it. DV/HDR10 work great and the auto switching has been phenomenal as well.
longhorn23 and Sina Moghbel like this.
post #3015 of 3020 Old 12-04-2019, 07:40 PM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar View Post
I bought a 4x1 ViewHD a couple months back and have had zero issues. I have a 2019 shield TV and ps4 pro connected to it. DV/HDR10 work great and the auto switching has been phenomenal as well.
I am using the same now. Its probably the best switch available right now in budget market. My issues with this are 1) Won't do auto source properly 2) Struggles with ATV 4K 3)Not much success with power toggle and input source change with Harmony remote.
longhorn23 likes this.
post #3016 of 3020 Old 12-04-2019, 07:54 PM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by satyab View Post
I am using the same now. Its probably the best switch available right now in budget market. My issues with this are 1) Won't do auto source properly 2) Struggles with ATV 4K 3)Not much success with power toggle and input source change with Harmony remote.
That's too bad. I actually had some issues with the ATV4K when I had it connected to my N950 out to my E8 OLED. It was causing my TV to constantly power back on after powering it off and I eventually disabled CEC on the thing and my TV. I've heard of other people having issues with the ATV CEC as well. The shield has since fallen back in favor with me since color switching and DV were added.
longhorn23 likes this.
post #3017 of 3020 Old 12-05-2019, 11:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar View Post
That's too bad. I actually had some issues with the ATV4K when I had it connected to my N950 out to my E8 OLED. It was causing my TV to constantly power back on after powering it off and I eventually disabled CEC on the thing and my TV. I've heard of other people having issues with the ATV CEC as well. The shield has since fallen back in favor with me since color switching and DV were added.
The fix for the ATV4K into the N950, is the Lindy CEC blocker.
https://www.amazon.com/Lindy-HDMI-Ad.../dp/B00DL48KVI

It fixed my issues.
post #3018 of 3020 Old Yesterday, 01:23 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Anyone have any experience comparing the Samsung90 to the Nakamichi 9.2.4?
I currently have the Nakamichi and have some issues with it and wonder if I should switch over to the Samsung?
How does the sound compare between the two?
longhorn23 likes this.
post #3019 of 3020 Old Yesterday, 03:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I have the 950 and absolutely love it. I believe on another thread someone posted the Samsung had no discreet rears sides or height channels they were very wrong. I haven’t tried the nakamichi bats but the lack of true height speakers is a turn off to me. All these sound bars have some issues even the very expensive senheiser ambeo
post #3020 of 3020 Old Yesterday, 05:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Samsung N950 + Xbox One S + Sony XBR65X900E = Drama

Hi all, I'm having a hard time getting all my devices to play nicely with each other. I thought my xbox was broken because almost everytime I tried to play a game or watch a movie the screen would flicker and go blank. Tried different HDMI cables...no go. I decided to directly connect my xbox to the tv and it worked fine! The thing is, Atomos via arc is a no go with the Sony so I need my xbox connected to my soundbar. Once it's connected to my soundbar the signal is very very unreliable.

Any advice?! Help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page