Samsung HW-N950 Soundbar 7.1.4 Dolby Atmos - Page 39 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 988Likes

post #1141 of 3092 Old 09-23-2018, 12:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Has anyone been able to determine what the 1003 update accomplished ? I have been very concerned to update after all the issues I had with the K950.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1142 of 3092 Old 09-23-2018, 12:50 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Not that this is useful, but I also own the HW-K550 and HW-J550 w/SWA-8000 surrounds as well as two Samsung TVs. Samsung doesn't list what the firmware updates do, although some information can be learned if you search hard enough for it. I think the motto is that updates are for Samsung to know and for us to find out if it solves any known issues.
post #1143 of 3092 Old 09-23-2018, 06:10 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Any more current owners who have updated to the latest firmware, not having any issues? UnfoldingSquid and Thepentavrit seem to be cool with the latest firmware. If that is the case, it seems like it doesn't effect each system equally.

I'm leaning on going the used route, since the system is not cheap. But, if it's better to buy new to get the factory firmware, I will wait. Samsung it not known for timely firmware updates.

Thanks

LG OLED55B8PUA
LG OLED65C7P
LG UBK90
ATV 4K
Samsung HW-N950

Last edited by PlasmaHiDef; 09-23-2018 at 06:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1144 of 3092 Old 09-23-2018, 07:08 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Never mind my last post the problem with signal drop has come back again not as bad as it was before. Think I’ll will return this unit and get the factory software and not update it.
post #1145 of 3092 Old 09-23-2018, 08:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaHiDef View Post
Any more current owners who have updated to the latest firmware, not having any issues? UnfoldingSquid and Thepentavrit seem to be cool with the latest firmware. If that is the case, it seems like it doesn't effect each system equally.

I'm leaning on going the used route, since the system is not cheap. But, if it's better to buy new to get the factory firmware, I will wait. Samsung it not known for timely firmware updates.

Thanks
The general rule is don’t update unless you need to, but this is especially true of Samsung’s soundbars. Mine updated without me knowing it was connected to internet, bit different process than the old K950 was.

Unless they add new features, like a toggle for Auto Power Down, I would leave it alone. If you can get a used one that is returnable than it may be worth a shot.
PlasmaHiDef likes this.

Samsung 75Q9FN
Samsung HW-N950
Samsung UBD-M9500

Samsung 55Q80R - Bedroom
post #1146 of 3092 Old 09-23-2018, 08:47 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Is anyone that owns the n950 coming from a Sony st5000? I know I’ve mentioned it before but just looking for a comparison from experience.

consider the source
post #1147 of 3092 Old 09-23-2018, 08:50 PM
Advanced Member

To add to that—historically, Samsung doesn't add many new firmware updates to their soundbars, or at least not for the 5 Series. There were only ever two updates each to install on my other bars (2015/2016 models).
post #1148 of 3092 Old 09-23-2018, 09:08 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisbailey View Post
Apple TV is great and works fine with Atmos through purchased movies etc off iTunes. I just have no way of playing the bulk of my media library (MVVs with 7.1 TRU-HD/DTS-X) encoded in them. If Apple open up Infuse/Plex to full audio formats then maybe it will become the ultimate player, but at the moment, it comes with come compromises.

I want something that I can plug and play and have the audio and video stream passthrough without any interference etc.
In that case as others have said an Nvidia shield is definitely the solution to your problem!

I had the same issue with my LG tv app not supporting Truehd (which wouldn't matter any way due to arc limitations) picked up a shield for $249 here in Aus and I've never been happier.

Kodi flawlessly runs all of my DTS-X and Truehd 4k movies as well as all of the DTS-X and Atmos demo files I have.

The bar displays "Dolby Atmos" or "DTS-X" whenever you start a file.

The shield is also very easy to use and the LG TV remove allows full control of the shield so you can navigate all the menus/kodi without even needing a remote change.
ellisbailey likes this.
post #1149 of 3092 Old 09-23-2018, 09:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2521 Post(s)
Liked: 1220
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyYYZ View Post
To add to that—historically, Samsung doesn't add many new firmware updates to their soundbars, or at least not for the 5 Series. There were only ever two updates each to install on my other bars (2015/2016 models).

Do/did your other bars need further updating...?

Shopping List:
TV: LG CX/GX; Samsung...?
Blu-ray: Panasonic UB820
AVR/Pre-pro: Marantz 8805/7705 or 8012, or Yamaha 5200 or 3080
Speakers: GE Triton One.R, or ML ElectroMotion ESL X
post #1150 of 3092 Old 09-23-2018, 09:27 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Any more current owners who have updated to the latest firmware, not having any issues?
I updated a few weeks ago I think, watched John Wick with Atmos and didn't notice any issues with anything.

I'm also a Shield TV user and it works fine for passing through Atmos files, I use Emby as my media client/server.
ellisbailey likes this.
post #1151 of 3092 Old 09-23-2018, 09:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by New24K View Post
Do/did your other bars need further updating...?
No, there were only ever a couple of firmware updates made available for them. The K550 is boxed up and I never got around to updating it, but I did read somewhere that it made the bar more responsive. I keep it for spare but if I ever do unbox it then I'll update it then. That's not to say that the N950 won't receive any number of updates through the Smart Things app...I just thought it was noteworthy in case it's a while before we receive an update beyond 1003.
post #1152 of 3092 Old 09-24-2018, 07:06 AM
Advanced Member

The K950 received quite a few updates, the bar only supported DTS 2.1 out of the box and they patched in DTS 5.1 support down the road. The majority of the updates seemed to fix one issue only to break another with a following update.

My point being, these wifi enabled soundbars tend to go through more software updates than Samsung's cheaper bars. Those of you having problems will probably want to update the next firmware that rolls out but if you're not having issues it's best to leave it alone.
SkyYYZ likes this.

Samsung 75Q9FN
Samsung HW-N950
Samsung UBD-M9500

Samsung 55Q80R - Bedroom
post #1153 of 3092 Old 09-24-2018, 09:49 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:

Thanks
I don't have any NEW issues with the new firmware. My only problem with this bar is it's incorrect mapping of upmixed ATMOS on the Xbox One, which I believe exists even on the prior firmware.

I haven't noticed any other issues, but I mostly just use Plex and Netflix on the LG TV as well as play PS4. I can't get ATMOS over ARC since the TV doesn't support it, and I admittedly haven't watched native ATMOS/DTSX content since I upgraded. I'll try the latter tonight and confirm back
PlasmaHiDef likes this.
post #1154 of 3092 Old 09-24-2018, 02:25 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Vizio P65

N950

I'm having issues connecting.

Plugged soundbar into power. HDMI from OUT to ARC HDMI 1 on TV. Apple TV 4K into HDMI 1, XBOX One X into HDMI 2.

Turn TV on HDMI 1, both devices on, sound bar on, no video on TV.

Anyone have any issues like this?
post #1155 of 3092 Old 09-24-2018, 04:49 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by epidimik View Post
Vizio P65

N950

I'm having issues connecting.

Plugged soundbar into power. HDMI from OUT to ARC HDMI 1 on TV. Apple TV 4K into HDMI 1, XBOX One X into HDMI 2.

Turn TV on HDMI 1, both devices on, sound bar on, no video on TV.

Anyone have any issues like this?

Okay update: I was able to get ARC "working" if I unplug both things from HDMI 1 & 2. So only thing connected to the soundbar is Arc to the tv HDMI arc port. However, the sound is skipping every 1 second and is pointless to have on. Besides that, everything is SUPER laggy and the whole set is pretty much a paperweight at this point.

BT works flawlessly via my iPhone however.
post #1156 of 3092 Old 09-24-2018, 05:32 PM
Advanced Member

Are all cables rated 18Gbps or above?

Turn off Anynet+ on the soundbar to see if you can successfully switch sources manually. If it works then it's a troubleshooting start if you care to try and figure it out. Sometimes it's just hardware and that's when exchange policies are handy.

Maybe someone else will have some better ideas...
post #1157 of 3092 Old 09-24-2018, 07:33 PM
Advanced Member

Vizio historically doesn't make all their HDMI ports HDCP 2.2 compliant, might be something you want to check with on the Vizio thread to see if any known issues.

Samsung 75Q9FN
Samsung HW-N950
Samsung UBD-M9500

Samsung 55Q80R - Bedroom
post #1158 of 3092 Old 09-24-2018, 08:58 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rg9400 View Post
I don't have any NEW issues with the new firmware. My only problem with this bar is it's incorrect mapping of upmixed ATMOS on the Xbox One, which I believe exists even on the prior firmware.

I haven't noticed any other issues, but I mostly just use Plex and Netflix on the LG TV as well as play PS4. I can't get ATMOS over ARC since the TV doesn't support it, and I admittedly haven't watched native ATMOS/DTSX content since I upgraded. I'll try the latter tonight and confirm back
I'm having the Mapping issue on xbox one as well. I have to set the Xbox to 5.1 output rather than bitstream dolby atmos otherwise the rear speakers seem to stop working entirely and the rear sound comes out of the side speakers rather than the rears.
longhorn23 likes this.
post #1159 of 3092 Old 09-24-2018, 09:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rg9400 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussierox View Post
I'm having the Mapping issue on xbox one as well. I have to set the Xbox to 5.1 output rather than bitstream dolby atmos otherwise the rear speakers seem to stop working entirely and the rear sound comes out of the side speakers rather than the rears.
The Xbox One upmixing everything always bothered me, which is why I always bypassed the Xbox getting plugged into my soundbar and just connected directly to my TV. There aren’t a lot of games in Atmos anyway, and I’m not a fan of fake upmixing everything else.

I wish they’d fix it and always just playback the correct format the game’s sound was mastered in.

Samsung 75Q9FN
Samsung HW-N950
Samsung UBD-M9500

Samsung 55Q80R - Bedroom
post #1160 of 3092 Old 09-24-2018, 11:01 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Can someone help me with what to do next , I've got a sky Q hub .
Not got a clue how to connect this bar to the internet.

Thanks lads
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2018-09-23-21-47-45_1537851582978.png
Views:	47
Size:	161.1 KB
ID:	2459806  
post #1161 of 3092 Old 09-25-2018, 02:40 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Excuse me if this has been asked, but is there no way to reset to the factory firmware?

I have updated to the latest firmware and am experiencing issues with rears/sub speakers similar to what has been reported. I do not get sound in rears/sub on my PS4 Pro until I manually re-connect via ID SET. If I then switch to HDMI 1 and back to HDMI 2 (where ps4 pro is connected), the rears/sub no longer output sound. Occasionally, I get a chirp out of one of the rears. The rears/sub both indicate connection via solid blue light.
PS4 is configured to output audio PCM correctly.

Also, I have not been able to confirm Atmos or rears/sub working w/ latest ATV (latest firmware 12.01 updated today, connected via HDMI 1). Does anyone know if any of the movie previews output Atmos? I tried the preview of Deadpool 2 which is advertised as Atmos. Surround mode does not output sound to rears/sub at all and my understanding is that all content should be upmixed to do so.

It's disappointing that the soundbar does not have a simple speaker test that rotates sound throughout the speakers.

I've ordered new HDMI cables, but PS4 Pro was outputting just fine for a time being before.
post #1162 of 3092 Old 09-25-2018, 05:51 AM
Advanced Member

Can you set your PS4 to output 'Bitstream' rather than 'PCM?'

I haven't seen any iTunes movie previews output ATMOS. You could try playing 'Iron Fist' (season 2) through the Netflix app in tvOS 12 if you subscribe as it is ATMOS.

There is a lot of owner's information shared in the past dozen or so pages of this thread. You're likely to learn a lot, if you haven't already done so, by skimming through the posts.

Last edited by SkyYYZ; 09-25-2018 at 05:54 AM. Reason: Prime -> Netflix for ATMOS test
post #1163 of 3092 Old 09-25-2018, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Can you set your PS4 to output 'Bitstream' rather than 'PCM?'
I just tried Dolby Bitstream and the TV went black upon start of the game. The PS4 Pro was still on and the game was running.

Quote:
I haven't seen any iTunes movie previews output ATMOS. You could try playing 'Iron Fist' (season 2) through the Netflix app in tvOS 12 if you subscribe as it is ATMOS.
Iron Fist did in fact display Dolby Atmos on the sound bar but their was no sound output in the rears/sub. Cycling mode displayed "Not Available."

Quote:
There is a lot of owner's information shared in the past dozen or so pages of this thread. You're likely to learn a lot, if you haven't already done so, by skimming through the posts.
Thank you, I have read/skimmed every post.
post #1164 of 3092 Old 09-25-2018, 09:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 921 Post(s)
Liked: 510
Here is an odd one from the beginning mine has worked pretty well. Even though the 1003 firmware downloaded by accident in the beginning. I did a factory reset a couple times by holding the gear button down until it shut off. The only issue is occasionally I mean mostly days apart,the soundbar volume reduces its volume
Suite a bit . To bring it back I either restart,unplug or. Reset. This is an occasional occurrence. Sometimes switching from a Dolby Atmos program or just another input. Rears seems pretty stable as other functions. Is anyone else experiencing a similar issue?

Lg oled65G7P
Panasonic UB9000 . pioneer lx500 uhd blu ray players
atv4k 2nd gen cube, roku ultra 2019
Toshiba Xa2 HD-DVD
Samsung HW-Q90R ZA soundbar
post #1165 of 3092 Old 09-25-2018, 09:57 AM
Advanced Member

@Paul Walker Weird that enabling an audio enhancement affected your display. Do you have any other 18 Gbps (or above) HDMI cables to try?

I have no clue why you're not getting sound from the rears and sub, maybe someone else can chime in with more knowledge. @william06 just mentioned above that holding the 'gear' button down until the system powers off will factory reset the unit. I know you said the LEDs are solid blue, but worth a shot for troubleshooting. Regarding the "Not Available" message—that is because when an ATMOS signal is received, the soundbar disables other sound modes.

Good luck.

@william06 - I haven't had that issue.
william06 likes this.
post #1166 of 3092 Old 09-25-2018, 10:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 921 Post(s)
Liked: 510
Quote:
@Paul Walker Weird that enabling an audio enhancement affected your display. Do you have any other 18 Gbps (or above) HDMI cables to try?

I have no clue why you're not getting sound from the rears and sub, maybe someone else can chime in with more knowledge. @william06 just mentioned above that holding the 'gear' button down until the system powers off will factory reset the unit. I know you said the LEDs are solid blue, but worth a shot for troubleshooting. Regarding the "Not Available" message—that is because when an ATMOS signal is received, the soundbar disables other sound modes.

Good luck.

Paul I would do the reset when the bar shuts off I would unplug everything bar sub rears. Then start again as if you just got the soundbar. See if that helps.

Lg oled65G7P
Panasonic UB9000 . pioneer lx500 uhd blu ray players
atv4k 2nd gen cube, roku ultra 2019
Toshiba Xa2 HD-DVD
Samsung HW-Q90R ZA soundbar
post #1167 of 3092 Old 09-25-2018, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by william06 View Post
Quote:

Good luck.

Paul I would do the reset when the bar shuts off I would unplug everything bar sub rears. Then start again as if you just got the soundbar. See if that helps.
Have you tried "Set ID?"

Hold up on the remote control for 5 minutes. Should work if it's a connection problem.
post #1168 of 3092 Old 09-25-2018, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CombatRecon11B View Post
Have you tried "Set ID?"

Hold up on the remote control for 5 minutes. Should work if it's a connection problem.
Yes, and that will re-establish sound output in the rears/sub (ps4 sound output PCM), but as soon as I repower or switch HDMI inputs back and forth, sound output is lost in rears/sub.
post #1169 of 3092 Old 09-25-2018, 03:57 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Walker View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CombatRecon11B View Post
Have you tried "Set ID?"

Yes, and that will re-establish sound output in the rears/sub (ps4 sound output PCM), but as soon as I repower or switch HDMI inputs back and forth, sound output is lost in rears/sub.
Hmm...

Strange

By the way, does anyone know where I can find an inexpensive dvd with atmos test tones so I can calibrate my N950?

Last edited by CombatRecon11B; 09-25-2018 at 04:40 PM.
post #1170 of 3092 Old 09-25-2018, 06:41 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisbailey View Post
I was actually thinking to myself this evening that the dialogue seemed hard to hear during action scenes and I was missing my old Bose Soundtouch system.

Ok slightly different topic, does anyone have this with a Shield Nvidia 4k box?

Am I correct in thinking that I can connect a Shield box direct to the HDMI on the soundbar, then have it play 7.1 TruHD (Atmos) through a USB drive plugged into the Shield? Seems like a simple way of playing media and not having to use the Apple TV etc? Have I got this right?
Yes - 100% correct. You do have to fiddle around with the settings quite a bit - I've found SPMC Media player as the best option. I couldn't get ATMOS working on Kodi and I haven't set up Plex yet.

There is a write-up online but I can't post links yet. Just search SPMC + Shield + Atmos - should be the first result. Follow every step to the letter. My TV isn't 4K though, but going by previous posts passthrough is working fine and for me it passes full quality.

My setup is Shield -> HDMI 1 SOUNDBAR -> SOUNDBAR ARC -> TV ARC

Maybe I'm a lucky one but so far everything works great. When I turn the Shield on, it turns on the Soundbar and the TV and also switches the TV to correct HDMI. (After switching all the correct settings on TV and Shield etc)

Heaps of fun waking up in the morning, telling my phone to play morning playlist on the shield which fires everything up. Next step is to link to my alarm via IFTTT and have the whole chain automate.

When it's time to finish watching/listening I tell the Shield "Go to sleep" and it switches the soundbar and TV off.

Full disclosure - The chain has failed a couple of times which has forced me to reset all the settings but we all know that nothing is perfect.

Cheers,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page