Samsung HW-N950 Soundbar 7.1.4 Dolby Atmos - Page 57 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 963Likes

post #1681 of 2958 Old 11-06-2018, 04:32 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by william06 View Post
I have one issues occasionally total volume will spontaneously change when watching a show. This seems to happen mainly watching a tv show on my comcast uhd box not to much if ever on other devices. A factory reset ( holding gear wheel) stops it for a while any one else have this issue.
Curious, have you tried unplugging your Comcast UHD box to reset it? I know you shouldn't have to, but it's worth a shot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1682 of 2958 Old 11-06-2018, 06:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 879 Post(s)
Liked: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyYYZ View Post
Curious, have you tried unplugging your Comcast UHD box to reset it? I know you shouldn't have to, but it's worth a shot.
Yes also reset several times works good for a while then happens again. Also a couple times now switched inputs and get no sound until I turn bar off and on. I read somewhere this has happened to others. Thank goodness I bought an extended warranty from bb

Lg oled65G7P
Panasonic UB9000 pioneer lx500
atv4k -roku ultra
Toshiba Xa2 HD-DVD
Samsung HW-N950 soundbar
post #1683 of 2958 Old 11-06-2018, 07:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hey folks,

I am following this thread with special interest for the past days since i'm in the market for a new sound setup. I have the following equipment which I want to connect to the soundbar:

- Samsung QLED Q7FN (2018)
- PS4 Pro
- TV Cable box

At this moment I came to a selection of two potential soundbar setups to buy:
- Samsung HW-N950 vs Bose Soundbar 700 + Bose Bass Module 700.

From previous posts of several N950 owners in this thread I got the impression that the sound of the N950 is spectacular from Dolby Atmos sources, but the sound (and sub) from 5.1 input-sources are not all that special. This is also my main concern regarding the N950, since I will mainly have 5.1 input due to the lack of an Atmos input-device.

Do any of you guys have had the oppertunity to compare the non-Atmos sound experience between the N950 and the Bose 700/Soundtouch 300? I am very curious if the N950 is still worth it without Dolby Atmos input or that the Bose Soundbar 700+ sub might offer a better sound for me.

I would love to hear your opinions!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1684 of 2958 Old 11-06-2018, 09:36 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shampoo811 View Post
Are you running the latest patch 1003?

Was told Xbox owners had issues with the latest patch, and as a result I didn’t download it. However, the logic of your post makes sense, and I’m wondering if people reporting issues simply didn’t change settings to 5.1 uncompressed. If so, I’d be tempted to download the latest patch.

Thanks for the detailed post.

Hi,

Actually yes, I am running FW 1003. I was afraid to upgrade too, but I have forgotten to switch off the auto update in Smartthings..... However, with FW 1003, I have NO issues with sound, volume, bass volume, video and audio signal drops, or source switching....
I turned off (unplugged them from walls) soundbar and rear speakers after the upgrade. And after that I started to use it normally.

As to your comment to 5.1 uncompressed. When you set your speaker setup in xbox to 5.1 uncompressed, you WILL always hear rear speakers when playing 5.1 or 7.1 content (assuming that there is a signal coming from the game to them). The "problem" is when playing 5.1 game on 7.1 or atmos speaker setting. This way you will NOT hear sound from rear speakers only from side speakers. Once again, this only applies for 5.1 games (to my knowledge all Xbox 360 games and some Xbox One games - even some big titles do not support 7.1 or atmos.)

So for maximum compatibility leave the settings in 5.1 uncompressed, and you can use the upmixing Surround sound mode of N950 if you want.

My preference is to set speakers to Dolby atmos and switch to 5.1 uncompressed only for 5.1 games.
post #1685 of 2958 Old 11-06-2018, 10:06 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootleg1 View Post
Any of you use kodi?
yes
post #1686 of 2958 Old 11-06-2018, 03:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yes also reset several times works good for a while then happens again. Also a couple times now switched inputs and get no sound until I turn bar off and on. I read somewhere this has happened to others. Thank goodness I bought an extended warranty from bb
Yeah, I wouldn't be able to tolerate that very long. The way I look at it, if you haven't already updated your FW to 1003, then there is nothing to lose since you may need to make a warranty claim anyway. Keep us posted
post #1687 of 2958 Old 11-06-2018, 05:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yeah, I wouldn't be able to tolerate that very long. The way I look at it, if you haven't already updated your FW to 1003, then there is nothing to lose since you may need to make a warranty claim anyway. Keep us posted
I unplugged tv soundbar,cablebox. Did a reset with bar off than on so far working good. If it keeps up I have a four year warranty with bb so no worries they actually take care of it so no need to deal with samsung n
SkyYYZ likes this.

Lg oled65G7P
atv4k -roku ultra
Toshiba Xa2 HD-DVD
Samsung HW-N950 soundbar
post #1688 of 2958 Old 11-07-2018, 02:34 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 4
This might be a ridiculous question but I am unable to locate the USB port on my HW-N960. The manual states that it should be somewhere in the middle in the back but it is not there. Please help. Could it be in the same compartment as the HDMI inputs?
post #1689 of 2958 Old 11-07-2018, 02:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin33 View Post
This might be a ridiculous question but I am unable to locate the USB port on my HW-N960. The manual states that it should be somewhere in the middle in the back but it is not there. Please help. Could it be in the same compartment as the HDMI inputs?
Did you look there?
post #1690 of 2958 Old 11-07-2018, 02:47 PM

Liked: 14
It’s underneath in the center of the bar.
post #1691 of 2958 Old 11-08-2018, 08:04 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I'm one of the early purchasers that reported problems with the firmware update a few months ago. My bar auto-updated to FW 1003 and I lost the ability for auto-on with my Samsung TV, and had issues with autosource switching.

Within the last 2 weeks, the bar has changed behavior, and these problems have greatly diminished. Auto on/off is working fine now. When I turn on my Samsung TV, the bar follows along, same with auto-off. Source switching has been behaving nicely as well. Especially, when I switch to an external HDMI input, the bar auto-switches, and when I use built-in apps on the TV, the bar switches seemlessly to HDMI ARC.

My firmware still reads as 1003.0, but there's a "112R" in the next line that I think was a lower number until just a few weeks ago. I'm speculating, but Samsung may have released a stealth update to 1003 to correct many of these problems? If not, I'm not sure why its working better now. (I don't think my Samsung TV updated its firmware, but who knows...)

In the reviews of the N950 which described these problems and which I posted on Amazon and B*stb*y, Samsung responded saying they'd have their engineering team look into this. No idea if this happened, but now my N950 is working pretty much like it has initially, prior to the firmware update.

Anyone else who had problems notice an improvement in auto power and switching recently?

Last edited by jcmartz; 11-08-2018 at 08:24 AM.
post #1692 of 2958 Old 11-08-2018, 07:39 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Samsung HW-N950 Soundbar 7.1.4 Dolby Atmos

Has anybody in this forum have had a chance to compare the hw n950 with the nakamichi 9.2 ?

If anyone has any idea on how did the nakamichi sound against the Samsung

I am aware that the naka is not having atmos

Thanks for your input

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by ari821; 11-08-2018 at 07:44 PM.
post #1693 of 2958 Old 11-08-2018, 11:18 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Hello,

I have a problem with subwoofer and my TV and i am thinking to return the HW-N950 Soundbar.

I have upgraded the firmware to 1003 (which i now consider as a mistake).

I am using tv set top box which is connected to HW-N950 Soundbar and then to LG C8 OLED TV with HDMI cable.

I have also Dune HD player connected to the HW-N950 Soundbar and the subwooferis is working only when playing Dolby Atmos movies.

When i am using TV with the set top box only main soundbar is working and subwoofer don't work.
post #1694 of 2958 Old 11-08-2018, 11:22 PM

Any ideas what do to get subwoofer working with tv set top box or other source?
post #1695 of 2958 Old 11-08-2018, 11:34 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivangs View Post
Any ideas what do to get subwoofer working with tv set top box or other source?

The sub is very quiet if you don't use Atmos/multichannel source or if you can't upmix to 5.1/7.1 on your Tv box/video player/PC or game console.

I can't upmix on my Tvbox or my computer so the sub is almost useless. But on my Shield, if i use the upmix setting, the sub comes alive (not on gamestream though). The Xbox One has a option for upmixing too.
post #1696 of 2958 Old 11-08-2018, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beligasse View Post
The sub is very quiet if you don't use Atmos/multichannel source or if you can't upmix to 5.1/7.1 on your Tv box/video player/PC or game console.

I can't upmix on my Tvbox or my computer so the sub is almost useless. But on my Shield, if i use the upmix setting, the sub comes alive (not on gamestream though). The Xbox One has a option for upmixing too.

Hello,

Thank you for your answer.

As i understand if i found the device which can upmix the signal form my setup box to the soundbar i will have good working subwoofer.

I have AV receiver - can i use it to upmix the sound form tv-box?
post #1697 of 2958 Old 11-09-2018, 12:23 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by beligasse View Post

What do you mean by upmixing on the Shield and Xbox One. Are you just talking about the "surround" sound mode on the soundbar or a separate setting on each those devices? I have a Shield and Xbox One so I'm curious
post #1698 of 2958 Old 11-09-2018, 12:44 AM

Liked: 4
I am having issues with the soundbar turning itself off when I switch inputs from external HDMI to ARC. What happens is that the TV´s built-in speakers automatically turn on and the soundbar switches off. Say for example that I just finished watching a movie and want to switch to normal TV viewing, the soundbar
somehow seems to misinterpret this as a signal that it should turn itself off. I have an LG C7 and both devices are on the latest firmwares. Any idea what might be causing this?
ivallt likes this.
post #1699 of 2958 Old 11-09-2018, 02:46 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by manuman888 View Post
What do you mean by upmixing on the Shield and Xbox One. Are you just talking about the "surround" sound mode on the soundbar or a separate setting on each those devices? I have a Shield and Xbox One so I'm curious

Not the surround mode of the soundbar, this one is bad and doesn't help the sub. Im talking about the "HDMI 5.1 audio" setting you can find on your Shield : "All stream played at as per stream channel count". Unfortunatly, this option also activate the rear speakers but it's the only way to get an acceptable sub from this soundbar with 2.0 movies or musics sources. The Xbox one also have this setting.

In summary, unlike most sound systems or even pc speakers (like the Z906), the N950's sub is very quiet with LPCM or 2.0 channel sources. The only way to get acceptable subwoofer level with these sources is to upmix, and sadly we haven't this setting always available.

Last edited by beligasse; 11-09-2018 at 03:08 AM.
post #1700 of 2958 Old 11-09-2018, 06:27 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I got an n950 to replace my k950 (which will go to the den) about a month ago. I wanted to wait a bit before posting in case I reported prematurely.

While I was pretty happy with the k950, the n950 is a notable upgrade over its predecessor. So far I have not lost the link to the soundbar or rear speakers. I also notice that I have fewer issues with video passthrough detection/switching to the TV. I primarily use my Nvidia Shield and have been testing my Apple TV into the soundbar and then to the TV. There were times with the k950 where I had to cycle the power to get the TV to recognize the signal or cycle through inputs etc. I haven't had to do that at all with the n950.

There is better depth and clarity in the sound and the subwoofer can still over power but is cleaner and seems to be kept in check better. The rear speakers are louder and I do not hear any hissing or vibration from them like the rear speaker they replaced. I used to have some challenge with the center channel being overpowered by other content in movies causing me to have to continually modulate the volume which I don't have to do anymore or quite as often. Music sounds better too and easier to make sound right (to my ears).

The soundbar portion is both slightly taller and heavier. So while the total power output is not any higher, it seems they put better quality speakers inside.I wouldn't have upgraded but I was able to get the n950 for a fairly good discount on eBay, just a bit more than what I paid for the k950 last year. I feel like this soundbar is more Harmon Kardon inside than Samsung, which is a good thing. Also it appears the remote and IR controls are unchanged. My Harmony Elite didn't require any changes to control the n950 from the k950 settings, but I did go in and update my device information later on anyway.
meles and shinken1 like this.

Last edited by kpiskin; 11-19-2018 at 03:14 AM.
post #1701 of 2958 Old 11-09-2018, 06:33 AM

Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin33 View Post
I am having issues with the soundbar turning itself off when I switch inputs from external HDMI to ARC. What happens is that the TV´s built-in speakers automatically turn on and the soundbar switches off. Say for example that I just finished watching a movie and want to switch to normal TV viewing, the soundbar
somehow seems to misinterpret this as a signal that it should turn itself off. I have an LG C7 and both devices are on the latest firmwares. Any idea what might be causing this?
This happens to me as well. But only when I use my 4K disc player. I am using ARC too. I have 1 hdmi cable going from the player to the TV. I also have 1 hdmi cable going from the audio out only hdmi port on the player directly to the sound bar.

Once I have finished a movie and turn the player off and switch to the hdmi port my cable box uses, the sound bar shuts off and the tv's internal speakers come on. I have to go into the sound menu in the TV and switch from internal speaker back to HDMI ARC and HDMI-CEC. I'm not sure why it does that.

I watch cable and stream more then I watch disc so it does not bother me as much but I can see it being annoying if you watch a lot of disc.

LG OLED55B8PUA
LG OLED65C7P
LG UBK90
ATV 4K
Samsung HW-N950
post #1702 of 2958 Old 11-10-2018, 04:27 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I'm on my second N950 system now as I returned the first one as I figured it was faulty. This second unit has the exact same issues, which are;

When running an apple tv 4k into the soundbar, it constantly loses signal, has a black screen with audio, picture with no audio, and every other combo of not working properly you can imagine. I've tried every setting of output options on the apple tv itself. I've tried it on two separate tvs, (lg c7 and c8). I've tried 3 complete new set of of certified hdmi cables all around. I've tried the apple tv straight into tv's and it works fine.

Also, when running a ps4 pro into the soundbar, I also get constant dropouts. Same fixes tried as above.

Before I send this piece of junk back for a refund, does anyone have any ideas at all?
post #1703 of 2958 Old 11-10-2018, 04:46 AM
Advanced Member

Have you run the two-minute Apple TV HDMI cable checker utility? It's really lousy luck that you would end up with two defective units.
post #1704 of 2958 Old 11-10-2018, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Have you run the two-minute Apple TV HDMI cable checker utility? It's really lousy luck that you would end up with two defective units.
Yep, it passes fine.
post #1705 of 2958 Old 11-10-2018, 05:05 AM
Advanced Member

Wow, sorry to hear that! Perhaps you can try the pass-through cable between the TV and the soundbar using the same method? There must be an explanation and I hope you figure it out so that you don't have to lug the second unit back for a refund.
post #1706 of 2958 Old 11-10-2018, 05:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Have you tried running the atv4k directly into the lg and seeing if it works that way over arc? Or if connecting directly to the soundbar turning hdmi cec offon tv and leaving Cec on in soundbar. I have used atv4k both ways with no issues with my lgg7p and N950.whoops I saw you ran them into tvs

Lg oled65G7P
atv4k -roku ultra
Toshiba Xa2 HD-DVD
Samsung HW-N950 soundbar

Last edited by william06; 11-10-2018 at 05:36 AM.
post #1707 of 2958 Old 11-10-2018, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Wow, sorry to hear that! Perhaps you can try the pass-through cable between the TV and the soundbar using the same method? There must be an explanation and I hope you figure it out so that you don't have to lug the second unit back for a refund.
I'm not quite sure what you mean?
post #1708 of 2958 Old 11-10-2018, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Have you tried running the arc directly into the lg and seeing if it works that way over arc? Or if connecting directly to the soundbar turning hdmi cec offon tv and leaving Cec on in soundbar. I have used atv4k both ways with no issues with my lgg7p and N950.whoops I saw you ran them into tvs
I can run both into the tv direct and get sound via arc, but I get a noticeable sound sync issue, and also that pathetic soundbar switch off after 5 minutes thing that samsung decided we all need because we shouldn't be able to decide for ourselves

Honestly, I'm so done with this whole 950 by now. I can't even connect to the soundbar via the smartthings app because it crashes every single time I try and pair.
post #1709 of 2958 Old 11-10-2018, 05:26 AM
Advanced Member

I was suggesting that since the cable between the ATV and the soundbar passed the test, you may wish to consider testing the cable currently in use between the TV and the soundbar by the same method. There has to be a reason that you are experiencing an uncommon issue, so we're here to try and help one another out with suggestions when we can.
post #1710 of 2958 Old 11-10-2018, 05:56 AM

Quote:
I was suggesting that since the cable between the ATV and the soundbar passed the test, you may wish to consider testing the cable currently in use between the TV and the soundbar by the same method. There has to be a reason that you are experiencing an uncommon issue, so we're here to try and help one another out with suggestions when we can.
Ah, I see. Just tested 2 other different cables from the 950 to the tv and it has the same issues. I've just managed to connect the soundbar to the smartthings app via a factory reset, so hopefully a firmware upgrade may help....fingers crossed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page