Samsung HW-N950 Soundbar 7.1.4 Dolby Atmos - Page 59 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 963Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1741 of 2960 Old 11-12-2018, 10:03 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 178
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivangs View Post
hello



is there a device which can upmix stereo signal to dolby atmos via hdmi.


I also have soundbar which accept only dts-x or dolby atmos and i have problem with my tv set top bot which has only stereo output.

xbox one
tearfalls is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1742 of 2960 Old 11-12-2018, 10:13 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 178
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueAgave View Post
Wow that is very exciting, im going to go look for those posts now

Is it possible to upmix the 5.1 sound coming from my cable box to feed the bar atmos? That would be incredible.
Yes. XBOX ONE can upmix your cable box to ATMOS.
tearfalls is online now  
post #1743 of 2960 Old 11-12-2018, 10:17 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 72
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 20
That is awesome, thanks. Im going to try that out tonight.
meles likes this.
BlueAgave is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1744 of 2960 Old 11-12-2018, 10:48 AM
Senior Member
 
meles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 432
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueAgave View Post
That is awesome, thanks. Im going to try that out tonight.
Let us know how that goes. Others are reporting that the dolby access app does not upmix for the N950, but it could be a little setting. I would recommend toggling under bluray playback "let my receiver decode audio."(I just checked mine and it seems to have switched back to let my receiver in the settings). For me with K950 it always upmixes and it is very, every evident in the sound because you get gobs of bass plus very, very impressive spatial feel and sound. If you are having troubles you may want to try netflix (don't select Atmos content) or amazon. See if you hear a difference versus DTS. It should be substantial especially if you have the N950 to Surround Off and standard (K950 settings) so N950 doesn't try to upmix on its own. If you just have Vudu you could use that as well just don't select movie with Atmos track.

HDMI Gone Wild - Audio HDMI Chains: (min. upmixed Atmos) Sony X700(Vudu, etc.)
Oppo UDP-203-->LG OLED65B7 and SamsungK950 (4K Atmos discs and files + 2 more subs!)
XboxOneS-->K950 (DTS discs, 2K files, Fandango 2K DTSHD)
ATV4K-->AVRkey-->XboxOneS-->K950 (iTunes and Vudu atmos, &Infuse - dd5.1)
Roku Premiere+-->Oppo UDP-203-->K950(Fandango and MA HDR, DD+)

Last edited by meles; 11-12-2018 at 11:07 AM.
meles is offline  
post #1745 of 2960 Old 11-12-2018, 11:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Gary J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: 4000' or sea level
Posts: 8,635
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by meles View Post
Let us know how that goes. Others are reporting that the dolby access app does not upmix for the N950, but it could be a little setting. I would recommend toggling under bluray playback "let my receiver decode audio."(I just checked mine and it seems to have switched back to let my receiver in the settings). For me with K950 it always upmixes and it is very, every evident in the sound because you get gobs of bass plus very, very impressive spatial feel and sound. If you are having troubles you may want to try netflix or amazon. They are not Atmos yet on Xbox. See if you hear a difference versus DTS. It should be substantial especially if you have the N950 to Surround Off and standard (K950 settings) so N950 doesn't try to upmix on its own. If you just have Vudu you could use that as well just don't select movie with Atmos track.
beg your pardon?
meles likes this.
Gary J is offline  
post #1746 of 2960 Old 11-12-2018, 11:06 AM
Senior Member
 
meles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 432
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_mac View Post
It's a relatively simple setup - LG C8 tv, connected to the N950 via arc, and atv 4k and ps4 pro connected to the N950. All cables certified. ATV set to SDR 4k with matching enabled. PS4 pro set to RGB. I don't know what else to say
You can see my equipment in my signature and I have older K950. Someone said on avsforum the N950 passes Dolby Vision, but mine does not. You've got a lot of other settings like YCbCr and Chroma on the ATV4K. It also has check hdmi connection. I've had good luck with monoprice cables and not all certified cables are the same. I've even heard that some of the monoprice cables don't make a good connnection to ATV4K. For Atmos with ATV4K I'm not sure if N950 will play nice with hdmi-arc LG (K950 does not). So direct connnection to N950 probably the way to go. I use an hdfury avrkey to split dolby vision to my 2017 LG from the ATV4K.

HDMI Gone Wild - Audio HDMI Chains: (min. upmixed Atmos) Sony X700(Vudu, etc.)
Oppo UDP-203-->LG OLED65B7 and SamsungK950 (4K Atmos discs and files + 2 more subs!)
XboxOneS-->K950 (DTS discs, 2K files, Fandango 2K DTSHD)
ATV4K-->AVRkey-->XboxOneS-->K950 (iTunes and Vudu atmos, &Infuse - dd5.1)
Roku Premiere+-->Oppo UDP-203-->K950(Fandango and MA HDR, DD+)
meles is offline  
post #1747 of 2960 Old 11-12-2018, 11:10 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 72
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by meles View Post
Let us know how that goes. Others are reporting that the dolby access app does not upmix for the N950, but it could be a little setting. I would recommend toggling under bluray playback "let my receiver decode audio."(I just checked mine and it seems to have switched back to let my receiver in the settings). For me with K950 it always upmixes and it is very, every evident in the sound because you get gobs of bass plus very, very impressive spatial feel and sound. If you are having troubles you may want to try netflix or amazon. They are not Atmos yet on Xbox. See if you hear a difference versus DTS. It should be substantial especially if you have the N950 to Surround Off and standard (K950 settings) so N950 doesn't try to upmix on its own. If you just have Vudu you could use that as well just don't select movie with Atmos track.
Sadly, I dont have the N950 yet. I do have an atmos bar (SJ9) but wanted to upgrade to something with rears which led me to this thread. Hoping to purchase it soon though.

But this set up is very interesting, thanks for the great info. Ive had an xbox one x since launch but had no idea it had hdmi passthrough. I pretty much just use it to play battlefield and bo4 with it. lol.
meles likes this.

Last edited by BlueAgave; 11-12-2018 at 11:13 AM.
BlueAgave is offline  
post #1748 of 2960 Old 11-12-2018, 11:11 AM
Senior Member
 
meles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 432
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post
beg your pardon?
Brain fart on my part and fixed post.

HDMI Gone Wild - Audio HDMI Chains: (min. upmixed Atmos) Sony X700(Vudu, etc.)
Oppo UDP-203-->LG OLED65B7 and SamsungK950 (4K Atmos discs and files + 2 more subs!)
XboxOneS-->K950 (DTS discs, 2K files, Fandango 2K DTSHD)
ATV4K-->AVRkey-->XboxOneS-->K950 (iTunes and Vudu atmos, &Infuse - dd5.1)
Roku Premiere+-->Oppo UDP-203-->K950(Fandango and MA HDR, DD+)
meles is offline  
post #1749 of 2960 Old 11-12-2018, 11:40 AM
Senior Member
 
meles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 432
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 110
So has anyone been demented enough to hook up an ATV4K to the hdmi input of an Oppo 203 and this to N950? This would be demented because you lose HDR. It would be cool though to use the Oppo's info and toggle in the info to see what audio is coming from an ATV4K to the N950. The ATV4K won't work with the Oppo when set to Atmos (because it and the Xbox have a different form of Atmos; oppo passes regular Atmos). However I'd be very curious if the ATV4K is indeed sending multichannel LPCM from various sources (Infuse app, itunes own movies). The ATV4K is supposed to send the best audio possible and I'm wondering what exactly the improvements are possible with the N950. I'd like to see LPCM 5.1 and 7.1 coming from various sources and especially the Infuse app. (For my K950 setup I send out DD5.1 most of the time with ATV4K because I upmix and Xbox won't accept more the two channel LPCM.) Is the N950 able to extract the best audio possible from the ATV4K? This wasn't the case with the K950.

HDMI Gone Wild - Audio HDMI Chains: (min. upmixed Atmos) Sony X700(Vudu, etc.)
Oppo UDP-203-->LG OLED65B7 and SamsungK950 (4K Atmos discs and files + 2 more subs!)
XboxOneS-->K950 (DTS discs, 2K files, Fandango 2K DTSHD)
ATV4K-->AVRkey-->XboxOneS-->K950 (iTunes and Vudu atmos, &Infuse - dd5.1)
Roku Premiere+-->Oppo UDP-203-->K950(Fandango and MA HDR, DD+)
meles is offline  
post #1750 of 2960 Old 11-12-2018, 11:45 AM
Senior Member
 
meles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 432
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueAgave View Post
Sadly, I dont have the N950 yet. I do have an atmos bar (SJ9) but wanted to upgrade to something with rears which led me to this thread. Hoping to purchase it soon though.

But this set up is very interesting, thanks for the great info. Ive had an xbox one x since launch but had no idea it had hdmi passthrough. I pretty much just use it to play battlefield and bo4 with it. lol.
Well try the Xbox, I've got a friend with SJ9 (has many TVs) and would be curious to see if it plays nicely with Xbox. I'd read closely this thread if you get attached to xbox upmixing. My understanding is the N950 somehow doesn't work and just gets the original signal. With my K950 it works really well and I can't imagine my soundbar without it.

HDMI Gone Wild - Audio HDMI Chains: (min. upmixed Atmos) Sony X700(Vudu, etc.)
Oppo UDP-203-->LG OLED65B7 and SamsungK950 (4K Atmos discs and files + 2 more subs!)
XboxOneS-->K950 (DTS discs, 2K files, Fandango 2K DTSHD)
ATV4K-->AVRkey-->XboxOneS-->K950 (iTunes and Vudu atmos, &Infuse - dd5.1)
Roku Premiere+-->Oppo UDP-203-->K950(Fandango and MA HDR, DD+)
meles is offline  
post #1751 of 2960 Old 11-12-2018, 12:14 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 72
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Yep will do. I find it odd that the N950 wouldnt work though. Is there something in the upmixed atmos stream that differs from a 'normal' atmos stream?

Last edited by BlueAgave; 11-12-2018 at 12:21 PM.
BlueAgave is offline  
post #1752 of 2960 Old 11-12-2018, 01:08 PM
Senior Member
 
cmeinck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 414
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by tearfalls View Post
xbox one
Could you confirm that a cable box through Xbox One > HW-N950 produces glorious Atmos sound? I'm on the fence about upgrading to the Samsung from my Sonos 5.1. I had the K950. Was troubled by the input switching, but hoping ARC can resolve this. I'd keep my setup minimal Tivo (through Xbox for Atmos) and ATV 4K. Both Xbox and ATV connected to N950, arc to Samsung 75-inch TV.
cmeinck is offline  
post #1753 of 2960 Old 11-12-2018, 01:28 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Do you all think this will get a firmware upgrade for imax enhanced or do I already have to buy a new setup after having this for a week lol
Wdhryan is offline  
post #1754 of 2960 Old 11-12-2018, 03:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
william06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: South central Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,249
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 882 Post(s)
Liked: 492
Much more important would be e-arc
PlasmaHiDef likes this.
william06 is online now  
post #1755 of 2960 Old 11-12-2018, 08:14 PM
Advanced Member
 
UnfoldingSquid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 698
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wdhryan View Post
Do you all think this will get a firmware upgrade for imax enhanced or do I already have to buy a new setup after having this for a week lol
So you’re contemplating getting rid of this in favor of the latest “certification?” Because THX Certified in home theater really made a difference back in the day?

Everything I’m able to find on Imax Enhanced when googling seems to show it's Sony’s love child, to get your home setup to more accurately reflect Imax content.

I can’t for the life of me see why I would want my home theater to be more like an outdated Imax setup, but if that floats your boat go nuts I guess.
william06 likes this.

Samsung 75Q9FN
Samsung HW-N950
Samsung UBD-M9500

Samsung 55Q80R - Bedroom
UnfoldingSquid is offline  
post #1756 of 2960 Old 11-12-2018, 08:44 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi all,

Does anyone know if it's possible to have both the ARC and Optical plugged in at the same time and be able to switch between them via the remote?

This is how I have it currently connected.

Code:
               (video)
        PC -------------->TV
(audio) |                 |
        |                 |           
        V                 v           
/------------------------------------------------------\
|    Optical            ARC         HDMI1         HDMI2 |
\-------------------------------------------------------/
When I use my PC, I want the soundbar to switch to Optical and when I'm watching Netflix on my TV, I want the soundbar to switch to ARC.

Right now I don't see D.IN as an option when cycling through the inputs.

Note: I have to split the audio and video because if I connect it like PC-> Soundbar -> TV then the soundbar introduces too much latency and if I connect like PC -> TV -> Soundbar then the PC only recognizes stereo channel.

Last edited by diggadmin; 11-12-2018 at 09:20 PM.
diggadmin is offline  
post #1757 of 2960 Old 11-13-2018, 05:55 AM
Advanced Member
 
SkyYYZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Hamilton, ON
Posts: 669
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wdhryan View Post
Probably answered 100 times it what does the virtual setting do?
Quote:
Originally Posted by william06 View Post
Not sure not sure anyone really knows I tried it did nothing

Quote:
If Surround Speakers are connected, select REAR LEVEL or REAR TOP LEVEL, and then
use the Up/Down buttons to adjust the volume within a -6 to +6 range. The REAR
SPEAKER function can be turned VIRTUAL ON/OFF by using the Up/Down buttons.
(online manual: pg. 28)
According to the manual, the feature is made available to disable the rear surrounds when the soundbar is up-mixing audio (i.e. 'Surround' mode). In other words, it is only useful when playing a source in its non-native audio format—at least, that's how I interpret the manual's explanation.
SkyYYZ is offline  
post #1758 of 2960 Old 11-13-2018, 05:57 AM
Advanced Member
 
SkyYYZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Hamilton, ON
Posts: 669
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by diggadmin View Post
Hi all,

Does anyone know if it's possible to have both the ARC and Optical plugged in at the same time and be able to switch between them via the remote?

When I use my PC, I want the soundbar to switch to Optical and when I'm watching Netflix on my TV, I want the soundbar to switch to ARC.

Right now I don't see D.IN as an option when cycling through the inputs.
For reasons unknown, I believe that we have to choose one connection method or the other. I couldn't find any reference to the matter in the manual either.
SkyYYZ is offline  
post #1759 of 2960 Old 11-13-2018, 06:11 AM
Advanced Member
 
SkyYYZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Hamilton, ON
Posts: 669
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wdhryan View Post
Do you all think this will get a firmware upgrade for imax enhanced or do I already have to buy a new setup after having this for a week lol
I've learned not to expect anything other than what is sold to us at the time of purchase; we are at the mercy of Samsung for any additional features not advertised with the product. We could be waiting a long time for a product that checks all of the boxes, so instead, we have to choose one that suits our current needs with anticipated fingers crossed for anything extra that's not featured at the time of purchase. Any decisions made to add extra features will be a calculated decision by Samsung, so we'll have to wait and see. Someone mentioned that they owned a K950, and Samsung decided to give it an additional feature later on (I believe was DTS).
SkyYYZ is offline  
post #1760 of 2960 Old 11-13-2018, 08:41 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tearfalls View Post
Yes. XBOX ONE can upmix your cable box to ATMOS.

NOT true!!

Xbox One does NOT upmix anything to Atmos!!! People do not understand how it is works on Xbox One....

It is just setting in Xbox One that sends signal to your soundbar/receiver marked as Dolby Atmos, but the original signal is NOT upmixed. It was set by Xbox this way as in the past there were some compatibility problems on some receivers as those receivers could not detect when audio was in real Atmos and they did not switch to Atmos.

I did plenty of tests with games (5.1, 7.1, Atmos), apps (2.0) and N950 only outputs sound in its original channel output. But this is OK, it is the Xbox One setting which tells N950 to do it this way. So if the game is in 5.1 then you will hear only 5.1 channels (on N950 you will not hear anything from rear speakers, but you will hear it from side speakers, this is the way how it should work) if the game is in 7.1 then you will hear sounds from all speakers except from upward firing ones. If the game is in Atmos then you will hear all 7.1.4.

Setting in Xbox One X for dolby Atmos is for games and apps. If you have checked (I recommend to do this) "let my receiver to decode audio" in Blu-ray setting of xbox settings then all decoding of audio only from Blu-ray app is done by N950 a speakers setup is set by N950 (this way if movie is in 5.1 you WILL hear sounds from rear speakers, so not like in 5.1 games where you are not).

The only way for upmixing on N950 is to use Surround sound mode (only to get virtual feeling of atmos sound, this not of course true Atmos). BUT is not possible to use it if you have set your Xbox to Dolby Atmos. If you set your xbox to any other speaker setup like 5.1 or 7.1 uncompressed or Bitstream dolby digital or DTS then you can use upmixing feature of N950 to output sound as 7.1.4 (of course it is dependent on audio content how the audio is split to channels and how loud it sounds).
Morphic1977 is offline  
post #1761 of 2960 Old 11-13-2018, 08:47 AM
Senior Member
 
cmeinck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 414
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphic1977 View Post
NOT true!!

Xbox One does NOT upmix anything to Atmos!!! People do not understand how it is works on Xbox One....

It is just setting in Xbox One that sends signal to your soundbar/receiver marked as Dolby Atmos, but the original signal is NOT upmixed. It was set by Xbox this way as in the past there were some compatibility problems on some receivers as those receivers could not detect when audio was in real Atmos and they did not switch to Atmos.

I did plenty of tests with games (5.1, 7.1, Atmos), apps (2.0) and N950 only outputs sound in its original channel output. But this is OK, it is the Xbox One setting which tells N950 to do it this way. So if the game is in 5.1 then you will hear only 5.1 channels (on N950 you will not hear anything from rear speakers, but you will hear it from side speakers, this is the way how it should work) if the game is in 7.1 then you will hear sounds from all speakers except from upward firing ones. If the game is in Atmos then you will hear all 7.1.4.

Setting in Xbox One X for dolby Atmos is for games and apps. If you have checked (I recommend to do this) "let my receiver to decode audio" in Blu-ray setting of xbox settings then all decoding of audio only from Blu-ray app is done by N950 a speakers setup is set by N950 (this way if movie is in 5.1 you WILL hear sounds from rear speakers, so not like in 5.1 games where you are not).

The only way for upmixing on N950 is to use Surround sound mode (only to get virtual feeling of atmos sound, this not of course true Atmos). BUT is not possible to use it if you have set your Xbox to Dolby Atmos. If you set your xbox to any other speaker setup like 5.1 or 7.1 uncompressed or Bitstream dolby digital or DTS then you can use upmixing feature of N950 to output sound as 7.1.4 (of course it is dependent on audio content how the audio is split to channels and how loud it sounds).
Have you tested output from a cable box through the Xbox? I'm curious how 5.1 and stereo sounds when routed through the Xbox.
cmeinck is offline  
post #1762 of 2960 Old 11-13-2018, 09:48 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmeinck View Post
Have you tested output from a cable box through the Xbox? I'm curious how 5.1 and stereo sounds when routed through the Xbox.
Not tested as I do not have settop box. But doubt that anything via xbox One HDMI passtrough will be upmixed to 7.1.4 by xbox. Most probably it will be the same number of channel as original. The same way as games.
But if there is anyone who tested it, I would like to hear the result too.
Condition is to set xbox to Dolby Atmos and connect it to N950 via HDMI in (1 or 2).
Morphic1977 is offline  
post #1763 of 2960 Old 11-13-2018, 10:10 AM
Advanced Member
 
SkyYYZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Hamilton, ON
Posts: 669
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphic1977 View Post
I did plenty of tests with games (5.1, 7.1, Atmos), apps (2.0) and N950 only outputs sound in its original channel output. But this is OK, it is the Xbox One setting which tells N950 to do it this way. So if the game is in 5.1 then you will hear only 5.1 channels (on N950 you will not hear anything from rear speakers, but you will hear it from side speakers, this is the way how it should work) if the game is in 7.1 then you will hear sounds from all speakers except from upward firing ones. If the game is in Atmos then you will hear all 7.1.4.
It must also be true for any DD/DTS 5.1 audio, since the N850 is listed as a 5.1.2 on its own. I've seen this info. posted before, but didn't make the connection because I'm not a gamer, and tend to skim over related postings. As a result of this information, I must now conclude that the odd commercial that catches my attention is broadcast in 7.1 by my cable provider because they make use of the rear speakers.

Very informative post, thanks!
SkyYYZ is offline  
post #1764 of 2960 Old 11-13-2018, 10:15 AM
Senior Member
 
cmeinck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 414
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyYYZ View Post
It must also be true for any DD/DTS 5.1 audio, since the N850 is listed as a 5.1.2 on its own. I've seen this info. posted before, but didn't make the connection because I'm not a gamer, and tend to skim over related postings. As a result of this information, I must now conclude that the odd commercial that catches my attention is broadcast in 7.1 by my cable provider because they make use of the rear speakers.

Very informative post, thanks!
So, 5.1 audio from a cable box routed through Xbox will not deliver sound to the rear speakers? That's disappointing. The reason for routing through an Xbox is to utilize all 7.4 channels.
cmeinck is offline  
post #1765 of 2960 Old 11-13-2018, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member
 
SkyYYZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Hamilton, ON
Posts: 669
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Now that I think about it, it's unlikely that anything 7.1 is reaching my system since I'm currently using Wi-Fi, so it must not have happened since I was using HDMI Arc. Even then, I have never selected DD+ from the TV's sound menu, so I can't explain why I've heard clear audio from the rears from cable TV before. Somehow, rear surround audio is (or was) making it to my rears from the cable TV signal.

Either way, N850 is a 5.1.2 system on its own, so what you explained makes more sense. Of course, there has to be a "but" attached

Last edited by SkyYYZ; 11-13-2018 at 10:53 AM. Reason: clarified "rear surround audio"
SkyYYZ is offline  
post #1766 of 2960 Old 11-13-2018, 10:17 AM
Advanced Member
 
SkyYYZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Hamilton, ON
Posts: 669
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmeinck View Post
So, 5.1 audio from a cable box routed through Xbox will not deliver sound to the rear speakers? That's disappointing. The reason for routing through an Xbox is to utilize all 7.4 channels.
I have no idea because I don't have an xBox to route cable through.
SkyYYZ is offline  
post #1767 of 2960 Old 11-13-2018, 10:25 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 178
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmeinck View Post
Could you confirm that a cable box through Xbox One > HW-N950 produces glorious Atmos sound? I'm on the fence about upgrading to the Samsung from my Sonos 5.1. I had the K950. Was troubled by the input switching, but hoping ARC can resolve this. I'd keep my setup minimal Tivo (through Xbox for Atmos) and ATV 4K. Both Xbox and ATV connected to N950, arc to Samsung 75-inch TV.
Yes I confirm. Been using it that way with my xbox one and Hw-K950 for over a year now. It even upmixes Spotify to glorious Atmos and sounds amazing.
tearfalls is online now  
post #1768 of 2960 Old 11-13-2018, 10:26 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Does anyone use a PC with the N950 ? I get almost no sound from the subwoofer with my computer. When i stream games with Gamestream on the Shield, i have the same issue. I tried with my laptop, same problem.
But when i use my old speaker system (Z5450) the subwoofer works very well, i also tried the sony Z9F before i get the N950 and the Z9F's subwoofer works as well ...

Last edited by beligasse; 11-13-2018 at 11:06 AM.
beligasse is offline  
post #1769 of 2960 Old 11-13-2018, 10:29 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 178
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphic1977 View Post
NOT true!!

Xbox One does NOT upmix anything to Atmos!!! People do not understand how it is works on Xbox One....

It is just setting in Xbox One that sends signal to your soundbar/receiver marked as Dolby Atmos, but the original signal is NOT upmixed. It was set by Xbox this way as in the past there were some compatibility problems on some receivers as those receivers could not detect when audio was in real Atmos and they did not switch to Atmos.

I did plenty of tests with games (5.1, 7.1, Atmos), apps (2.0) and N950 only outputs sound in its original channel output. But this is OK, it is the Xbox One setting which tells N950 to do it this way. So if the game is in 5.1 then you will hear only 5.1 channels (on N950 you will not hear anything from rear speakers, but you will hear it from side speakers, this is the way how it should work) if the game is in 7.1 then you will hear sounds from all speakers except from upward firing ones. If the game is in Atmos then you will hear all 7.1.4.

Setting in Xbox One X for dolby Atmos is for games and apps. If you have checked (I recommend to do this) "let my receiver to decode audio" in Blu-ray setting of xbox settings then all decoding of audio only from Blu-ray app is done by N950 a speakers setup is set by N950 (this way if movie is in 5.1 you WILL hear sounds from rear speakers, so not like in 5.1 games where you are not).

The only way for upmixing on N950 is to use Surround sound mode (only to get virtual feeling of atmos sound, this not of course true Atmos). BUT is not possible to use it if you have set your Xbox to Dolby Atmos. If you set your xbox to any other speaker setup like 5.1 or 7.1 uncompressed or Bitstream dolby digital or DTS then you can use upmixing feature of N950 to output sound as 7.1.4 (of course it is dependent on audio content how the audio is split to channels and how loud it sounds).

Well I have been using xbox one with my K950 for over a year now and I can confirm xbox atmos app does upmix anything to 5.1.4 atmos. Even listening to my spotify music on xbox one I can hear sound from all speakers including the upfiring one. Now I don't have the N950 so I cannot say it will also work this way but if it does not then it is N950's problem instead of xbox one's.
tearfalls is online now  
post #1770 of 2960 Old 11-13-2018, 11:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Gary J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: 4000' or sea level
Posts: 8,635
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by tearfalls View Post
Yes I confirm. Been using it that way with my xbox one and Hw-K950 for over a year now. It even upmixes Spotify to glorious Atmos and sounds amazing.
Do you get the Guide and DVR functions?
Gary J is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Soundbars

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off