Samsung HW-N950 Soundbar 7.1.4 Dolby Atmos - Page 82 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 909Likes

post #2431 of 2776 Old 03-01-2019, 01:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I've had the soundbar since launch now, haven't used it a lot since then and I'm not really impressed.
I have yet to update the thing (never bothered with it), is it worth it and beneficial for the soundbar if I update its firmware? I heard some new problems might persist.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2432 of 2776 Old 03-01-2019, 02:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 802 Post(s)
Liked: 429
I’ve had this soundbar since launch with the latest firmware and think irs excellent. Very few issues. Use it with an lgg7p OLED. Just remember it’s still a soundbar.
Gary J likes this.

Lg oled65G7P
Panasonic ubp9000
atv4k -roku ultra
Toshiba X1 HD-DVD
Samsung HW-N950 soundbar
post #2433 of 2776 Old 03-01-2019, 08:49 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odissious View Post
Hello everyone. Hopefully I can get some advice from all of you. So I have just had delivered Samsung 65 inch Q8FN TV and the HW-N950. Based off reading I talked with Samsung customer support. They told me this.

To get Dolby ATMOS and DTS I need to plug my DirecTV into the HW-N950 and then plug it into the Q8 TV through ARC HDMI and I will be able to listen to this soundbar in all its glory. All this sound correct to all of you? I know from reading here and elsewhere ARC HDMI for the TV will not send ATMOS to the soundbar if I hook the DirecTV into the Q8. Hoping for some advice before I start the setup of all this tomorrow morning. Much thanks in advance for all advice
Yes it is the correct and best way to hook up your devices. Many people, especially in US, have the wrong idea of hooking everything to TV and then use ARC to hook the TV back to the receiver. It is actually not the right way but just a compromise. But for some reason lots of people do that so manufacturers actually are now trying to make it work by introducing new standard like eARC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2434 of 2776 Old 03-01-2019, 02:43 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 2
So I guess there is no support for the Samsung Multiroom app and they don't plan on supporting it? That really sucks because I have two RadiantR5's, two RadiantR3's and a K650 soundbar all connected to bring audio throughout my house. It would have been nice to add the N950 to the family!
post #2435 of 2776 Old 03-01-2019, 03:20 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by tearfalls View Post
Yes it is the correct and best way to hook up your devices. Many people, especially in US, have the wrong idea of hooking everything to TV and then use ARC to hook the TV back to the receiver. It is actually not the right way but just a compromise. But for some reason lots of people do that so manufacturers actually are now trying to make it work by introducing new standard like eARC.

Besides using a universal remote, what is the best way to address the usability factor when hooking up your devices directly to the sound bar? I turned on HDMI-CEC on all of my devices, but when one turns on, they all turn on now. And then they battle over which one is going to be in control, so the HDMI source keeps switching. For instance, I turned on my UHD BD player and it turned on the TV and sound bar. That was great. But it the Apple TV 4K plugged into the TV's HDMI port turned on and the other UHD BD player plugged into the other HDMI port on the N950 powered on. And the TV kept switching inputs so fast that I had to turn off the TV (an LG B7) to get it to stop. Then my wife wanted to go up later and watch TV and when I told her about how I hooked things up differently and that she might have some problems, she decided she would rather not.

But if I turn off HDMI-CEC on the devices, then I have to turn on the TV, then turn on the players and use the sound bar remote to switch the input. It's cumbersome, which is why I was sending everything through the TV via ARC.

EDIT: Actually, I may be seeing part of the problem. The ATV4 is appearing as if it is connected directly to the sound bar. I will need to experiment a bit more. For now, I have just disabled CEC on the ATV4.

Last edited by ToonMasterTim; 03-02-2019 at 03:08 AM.
post #2436 of 2776 Old 03-02-2019, 06:20 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I recently bought an N950. The music streaming services are very limited.
Tune in works great but when I use deezer only 30-40 seconds of every song are played.
Samsung doesn't seem to be aware of this problem.
Does anyone else have this problem?
post #2437 of 2776 Old 03-04-2019, 05:26 AM

Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmaus View Post
I recently bought an N950. The music streaming services are very limited.
Tune in works great but when I use deezer only 30-40 seconds of every song are played.
Samsung doesn't seem to be aware of this problem.
Does anyone else have this problem?
The only music I stream, on occasion, is via the ATV Pandora app. I would say it sounds good, not great.

I'm only mentioning this because from my experience and what other owners have posted, this sound bar shines with movies not music. IMO, I would not get caught up with music apps with this sound bar.

LG OLED55B8PUA
LG OLED65C7P
LG UBK90
ATV 4K
Samsung HW-N950
post #2438 of 2776 Old 03-04-2019, 06:42 AM

Well I want the TV te be off when i listen to music. My Samsung q9f cant switch off screen only so I need to stream music to my soundbar directly.
Otherwise my TV is always on.

The only option I have (besides bluetooth) is deezer and tunein radio.
post #2439 of 2776 Old 03-04-2019, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I'm confused on the newest Soundbar models.

Is it this model specifically?
post #2440 of 2776 Old 03-04-2019, 02:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi guys.
I picked up my N950 yesterday but I'm having problems setting it up with my HTPC running Win 10. The HTPC is connected directly to the soundbar using the hdmi cable included in the soundbar. Now, everytime there is a sound, even stereo tracks, the screen starts flickering on and off. I heard it might be the cable problem but I assume Samsung put a decent cable in the package?
The soundbar is connected to my oled TV via ARC ports using one of this high speech hdmi cables with ethernet. I didn't have this problem with my previous home theater.
When I connect the the htpc to my TV, I don't have this problem but I cannot get any atmos or dtsx signal.
Any recommendation?
post #2441 of 2776 Old 03-04-2019, 11:34 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 3
This could help, your pc in hdmi1 and connect soundbar with arc to tv arc. The cable is not the fastest that Samsung included have I read. Your problem sounds like a handshake problem, google that in combination with your pc and soundbar, maybe others had the same problem.
post #2442 of 2776 Old 03-05-2019, 06:56 AM

I'm not sure wether this is a Soundbar related issue or a computer related.
I use my macbook pro 2016 with windows 10 Bootcamp installed and when I connect via HDMI (MACBOOK > HDMI > SOUNDBAR > HDMI ARC > TV) it seems like the audio signal surpasses the soundbar and goes directly to the TV (SONY X930E) which in itself sends the signal to the soundbar. My computer tells me only 2 channels are available and the supported formats are Dolby Digital and DTS.
I can't seem to get the bitstream to work and nevertheless the Dolby Access app on Windows.

Is there anyone else who've experienced this?
post #2443 of 2776 Old 03-05-2019, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaHiDef View Post
The only music I stream, on occasion, is via the ATV Pandora app. I would say it sounds good, not great.

I'm only mentioning this because from my experience and what other owners have posted, this sound bar shines with movies not music. IMO, I would not get caught up with music apps with this sound bar.
I use Spotify streaming via bluetooth to soundbar and it sounds excellent.

LG OLED55C7P TV w Dolby Vision/Atmos
LG UBK90 4K Ultra-HD Blu-ray Player, Dolby Vision/Atmos
Samsung HW-N950 soundbar 7.1.4
post #2444 of 2776 Old 03-05-2019, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
This could help, your pc in hdmi1 and connect soundbar with arc to tv arc. The cable is not the fastest that Samsung included have I read. Your problem sounds like a handshake problem, google that in combination with your pc and soundbar, maybe others had the same problem.
Thanks [email protected] I tired your solution but no luck. The timing info were identical on both setups.
post #2445 of 2776 Old 03-05-2019, 10:59 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Have you tried updating your pc drivers? Display and audio?
post #2446 of 2776 Old 03-06-2019, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Have you tried updating your pc drivers? Display and audio?
Yes, everything is updated with the latest version. In fact I reinstalled a fresh version of windows altogether.
post #2447 of 2776 Old 03-06-2019, 09:00 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by rshahamiri View Post
Yes, everything is updated with the latest version. In fact I reinstalled a fresh version of windows altogether.
Try downloading the Dolby app for Windows 10. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/do...ot:overviewtab
post #2448 of 2776 Old 03-06-2019, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGwhat View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rshahamiri View Post
Try downloading the Dolby app for Windows 10. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/do...IMG]verviewtab
It's already installed.
post #2449 of 2776 Old 03-08-2019, 12:37 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odissious View Post
Hello everyone. Hopefully I can get some advice from all of you. So I have just had delivered Samsung 65 inch Q8FN TV and the HW-N950. Based off reading I talked with Samsung customer support. They told me this.

To get Dolby ATMOS and DTS I need to plug my DirecTV into the HW-N950 and then plug it into the Q8 TV through ARC HDMI and I will be able to listen to this soundbar in all its glory. All this sound correct to all of you? I know from reading here and elsewhere ARC HDMI for the TV will not send ATMOS to the soundbar if I hook the DirecTV into the Q8. Hoping for some advice before I start the setup of all this tomorrow morning. Much thanks in advance for all advice

You know if it is working if Dolby Atmos or DTS:X scrolls across the soundbar, it does it every time to let you know it is 100% working. Of course the content has to be Atmos/DTS:X if there is any confusion there. You must plug your devices directly into the sound bar to make it work, which goes back to Samsung should have included more HDMI ports. This is why some people on here are using HDMI switches.

Samsung - Display: 65Q9FN | Audio: HW-N950 | Player: UBD-M9500

post #2450 of 2776 Old 03-09-2019, 04:25 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hello everyone. I just got myself the HW-N960 and it is teamed up with a LG C8.

I have Blu-Ray connected to my soundbar (HDMI 1), and the soundbar is connected to my TV (ARC to ARC).

I get both audio and video from my Blu-Ray player. However, I get absolutely no sound from my TV using ARC. SIMPLINK CEC is active on my TV.

Browsing my sources on the soundbar it displays "D.IN". I suppose this is the ARC?

TV audio is set to ARC as well.

I see there are people with the same setup (TV/soundbar) as I have that experience no problems.

Could anyone have any idea here as to what I can do to get this to work?

I'm pretty novice at this, but the way I see it, this should work. I have a set top box connected to my TV via HDMI, but this shouldn't cause any dismay? Help 😑
post #2451 of 2776 Old 03-09-2019, 05:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 802 Post(s)
Liked: 429
I have an lgg7p so not sure if your menus but in your tv sound menu make sure speaker output is set to hdmi arc
post #2452 of 2776 Old 03-10-2019, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twEEkerAreUs View Post
You know if it is working if Dolby Atmos or DTS:X scrolls across the soundbar, it does it every time to let you know it is 100% working. Of course the content has to be Atmos/DTS:X if there is any confusion there. You must plug your devices directly into the sound bar to make it work, which goes back to Samsung should have included more HDMI ports. This is why some people on here are using HDMI switches.
You don't have to plug your device directly into the sound bar to get ATMOS, via a streaming device (TV must be able to pass ATMOS over ARC). For DTS:X, you do however, i.e. 4k player.

LG OLED55B8PUA
LG OLED65C7P
LG UBK90
ATV 4K
Samsung HW-N950

Last edited by PlasmaHiDef; 03-10-2019 at 01:36 PM.
post #2453 of 2776 Old 03-10-2019, 02:19 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaHiDef View Post
You don't have to plug your device directly into the sound bar to get ATMOS, via a streaming device (TV must be able to pass ATMOS over ARC). For DTS:X, you do however, i.e. 4k player.
With my setup (Sony x900F), I have to plug the ATV 4K into SB for Atmos on iTunes Movies. I’ve read that the ATV 4K uses a different ATMOS methodology??? Internal TV apps do pass ATMOS over ARC (lossy).

Can you confirm on your LG setup? ...ATK 4K can be plugged into LG Oled for playback of ATMOS iTunes Movies via ARC to SB?

Thanks
post #2454 of 2776 Old 03-10-2019, 04:24 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
With my setup (Sony x900F), I have to plug the ATV 4K into SB for Atmos on iTunes Movies. I’ve read that the ATV 4K uses a different ATMOS methodology??? Internal TV apps do pass ATMOS over ARC (lossy).

Can you confirm on your LG setup? ...ATK 4K can be plugged into LG Oled for playback of ATMOS iTunes Movies via ARC to SB?

Thanks
I have both an LG B7 and B8 in different locations and ATV Atmos is passed by both. But they can decode and re encode. I had the X900F and it does not do the same thing. So, Atmos over ARC from ATV doesn't work. ATV uses LPCM, not DD+ bitstream, so unless the TV can re encode the LPCM data into DD+, it can't go over ARC.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
post #2455 of 2776 Old 03-10-2019, 06:28 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexaClone View Post
I have both an LG B7 and B8 in different locations and ATV Atmos is passed by both. But they can decode and re encode. I had the X900F and it does not do the same thing. So, Atmos over ARC from ATV doesn't work. ATV uses LPCM, not DD+ bitstream, so unless the TV can re encode the LPCM data into DD+, it can't go over ARC.
Thank you for your explanation. Now, I understand.
post #2456 of 2776 Old 03-10-2019, 09:47 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Just got the N950. Every time I pause what I'm watching the Soundbar goes off and the TV audio kicks on. I have to manually change this each time. Is there no way to make this stop? I'm about to look for a replacement soundbar if I can't get this to stop turning off. My other searches lead to this being something you cannot change.
post #2457 of 2776 Old 03-10-2019, 11:51 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
There is no way to change this power-saving feature. I honestly don't see the huge problem here, as you just point and click to go live again. I don't pause my content that much either. It won't cut off before there's been 5 minutes without sound being channeled to the soundbar.

It's happened to me a few times, but I just power it back on. No deal breaker.

I'm struggling with getting the soundbar to have a fully functioning ARC (not receiving audio from TV). I really didn't want to, but had to connect an optical cable in the meantime. Meh
post #2458 of 2776 Old 03-11-2019, 05:11 AM

Quote:

Thanks
Yes, I have my ATV 4K going into my TV and out through ARC to the ARC port on the soundbar. I get ATMOS (lossy) from iTunes and Netflix movies that support it. The only internal app I use on my TV is YouTube in order to view their 4K content.

You might want to check in the Sony forum, as I don't know anything about your particular model. Based on what @TexaClone said above, it sounds as if it's a limitation of the Sony.

LG OLED55B8PUA
LG OLED65C7P
LG UBK90
ATV 4K
Samsung HW-N950

Last edited by PlasmaHiDef; 03-11-2019 at 05:27 AM.
post #2459 of 2776 Old 03-11-2019, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niqen View Post
There is no way to change this power-saving feature. I honestly don't see the huge problem here, as you just point and click to go live again. I don't pause my content that much either. It won't cut off before there's been 5 minutes without sound being channeled to the soundbar.

It's happened to me a few times, but I just power it back on. No deal breaker.

I'm struggling with getting the soundbar to have a fully functioning ARC (not receiving audio from TV). I really didn't want to, but had to connect an optical cable in the meantime. Meh
Ewww...optical lol

All jokes aside, as a few of use have been talking about in the last few post, you will need to find out if your particular TV can even pass ATMOS over ARC. That is the first thing you need to find out. Otherwise, you will never be able to hear this great sound bar at its full potential.

LG OLED55B8PUA
LG OLED65C7P
LG UBK90
ATV 4K
Samsung HW-N950
post #2460 of 2776 Old 03-11-2019, 06:25 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToonMasterTim View Post
Besides using a universal remote, what is the best way to address the usability factor when hooking up your devices directly to the sound bar? I turned on HDMI-CEC on all of my devices, but when one turns on, they all turn on now. And then they battle over which one is going to be in control, so the HDMI source keeps switching. For instance, I turned on my UHD BD player and it turned on the TV and sound bar. That was great. But it the Apple TV 4K plugged into the TV's HDMI port turned on and the other UHD BD player plugged into the other HDMI port on the N950 powered on. And the TV kept switching inputs so fast that I had to turn off the TV (an LG B7) to get it to stop. Then my wife wanted to go up later and watch TV and when I told her about how I hooked things up differently and that she might have some problems, she decided she would rather not.

But if I turn off HDMI-CEC on the devices, then I have to turn on the TV, then turn on the players and use the sound bar remote to switch the input. It's cumbersome, which is why I was sending everything through the TV via ARC.

EDIT: Actually, I may be seeing part of the problem. The ATV4 is appearing as if it is connected directly to the sound bar. I will need to experiment a bit more. For now, I have just disabled CEC on the ATV4.

The problem with using a Universal remote (Logitech Harmony Hub in my case) is the sound bar doesn't allow direct switching to an input - you have to cycle through all of the inputs rather than being able to go straight to an input. So if you're on HDMI 2 - you or the remote has cycle through BT, WIFI....etc to get to HDMI 1 rather than just selecting HDMI 1. It's a bad design in my opinion. Per some previous discussions buried in this forum - I think the only real solution is using an HDMI switcher that is either automatic or controllable with your remote and therefore you only have one input into the sound bar. I just haven't gone there yet or found an HDMI switch that works with Logitech and doesn't cost an arm and a leg because you still have to tell the switch which input to use.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page