Samsung HW-N950 Soundbar 7.1.4 Dolby Atmos - Page 96 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 963Likes

post #2851 of 2958 Old 07-22-2019, 09:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by henkew View Post
Finally got everything working (Vizio P65 E1, ATV4K...).

ATV4K, CEC Blocker to HDMI1 on Soundbar
ARC on Soundbar to ARC on TV

I had to disable HDR on the TV to get it to work. Seems the options are use HDR and stick with 5.1, or give up HDR and enjoy Dolby Atmos. Man, that bites. Has anyone found a way to get both?
Unless there is something unique to the Vizio, this setup does not prevent HDR and Atmos. The sound bar will take the sound directly from the ATV and pass the video up the HDMI/ARC cable the TV. It is working on my Samsung TV. I used to use the CEC blocker because ATV4K didnt play well with the Sammy, but an update or two back this seems to be resolved. I now use it as you describe without the blocker. You will want to enable the HDR on the TV, IMO. ATV videos with Atmos triggers the "Dolby Atmos" label on the sound bar. With this setup you select HDMI1 as the source on the sound bar, and whichever HDMI port ARC is as the input source on the TV. If CEC works like it should, these selections are automatic. On the Sammy TV, you have to scan for devices to set up the CEC. I don't know about the Vizio, but resetting the TV and scanning again seems to help the Sammy system.

Fear is a path to the Dark Side: Fear leads to Anger, Anger leads to Hate, Hate leads to Suffering.
--- Master Yoda, a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2852 of 2958 Old 07-22-2019, 10:29 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Didn’t try either of those devices. Let me know if you can get working...I think the main problem was the EDID setting.
post #2853 of 2958 Old 07-22-2019, 12:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1712 Post(s)
Liked: 1085
Quote:

Currently I'm using the setup I've seen suggested:

I had to disable HDR on the TV to get it to work. Seems the options are use HDR and stick with 5.1, or give up HDR and enjoy Dolby Atmos. Man, that bites. Has anyone found a way to get both?

Is there an HDMI splitter than can take the output from the ATV4K and give you two separate HDMI signals? One for the Soundbar and Atmos and another for the TV HDR?
Are you using 6.X or 7.X firmware on your Vizio?

If you set your ATV4K with Range & frame matching on you should get HDR (just not at 60 fps with full UHD Color Off on the Vizio.

I'm hoping Vizio will fix their ARC issue with a future firmware.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2854 of 2958 Old 07-22-2019, 07:42 PM

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:

Currently I'm using the setup I've seen suggested:

Is there an HDMI splitter than can take the output from the ATV4K and give you two separate HDMI signals? One for the Soundbar and Atmos and another for the TV HDR?
Wow that's nutty - that sounds exactly like how the K-950 used to behave. I used a HDFury, but had issues with it ultimately and the Apple TV 4K so gave up and then recently upgraded to the N-950 (which has been perfect for me so far - other than the subwoofer dropping on occasion).

The Fury worked for other devices - but they are always on, so beware of that.
post #2855 of 2958 Old 07-24-2019, 08:32 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Didn’t try either of those devices. Let me know if you can get working...I think the main problem was the EDID setting.
The cheaper option arrived today. It does what it is supposed to, but the Vizio P65 E1 doesn't react as I'd hoped. The splitter splits the signal. It has two settings, it can send the audio signal geared for the best option of the two devices or the lowest option. With the lowest option selected, it sends 5.1 for the TV. Everything works fine, just no Dolby Atmos. With best selected, it sends the Atmos audio but the TV just can't handle it with "Full UHD Color" enabled. I thought maybe the TV would just ignore the audio signal but no... the TV still responds just like it did when hooked up through the soundbar. Blank screen. If the splitter could strip out the audio, maybe it would work... I dunno.

Lame man that this TV can't handle the best picture and best audio at the same time.
post #2856 of 2958 Old 07-24-2019, 09:19 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
The cheaper option arrived today. It does what it is supposed to, but the Vizio P65 E1 doesn't react as I'd hoped. The splitter splits the signal. It has two settings, it can send the audio signal geared for the best option of the two devices or the lowest option. With the lowest option selected, it sends 5.1 for the TV. Everything works fine, just no Dolby Atmos. With best selected, it sends the Atmos audio but the TV just can't handle it with "Full UHD Color" enabled. I thought maybe the TV would just ignore the audio signal but no... the TV still responds just like it did when hooked up through the soundbar. Blank screen. If the splitter could strip out the audio, maybe it would work... I dunno.

Lame man that this TV can't handle the best picture and best audio at the same time.
I needed the audio to be split for a different setup but the result was same problem for me. Only one audio format (5.1 or Atmos) on both outputs. We would need a device that could strip the incoming Atmos signal and step-down to 5.1 for output 2, while allowing the Atmos to passthrough for output 1. Don’t think there are any devices/gadgets that can accomplish this unless it is a high end (EXPENSIVE) audio converter.

Sure glad my TV supports Atmos and in my case it’s only a peripheral device which is affected. For you, this just sucks.
post #2857 of 2958 Old 07-25-2019, 07:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I think you misunderstood my earlier comments on the Vizio P65 (C1 & E1 models are the same just different years). With UHD Color OFF on the ARC port you will still HDR10 and Dolby Vision and Atmos. What you won't be able to get in HDR at 60fps (18 Gbps).

If you set your ATV4K to 4K SDR with Range & frame matching on you should get HDR (just not at 60 fps with full UHD Color Off) on the Vizio.

I'm hoping Vizio will fix their ARC issue found on the 7.x firmware with a future update.
post #2858 of 2958 Old 07-25-2019, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naustin View Post
I think you misunderstood my earlier comments on the Vizio P65 (C1 & E1 models are the same just different years). With UHD Color OFF on the ARC port you will still HDR10 and Dolby Vision and Atmos. What you won't be able to get in HDR at 60fps (18 Gbps).

If you set your ATV4K to 4K SDR with Range & frame matching on you should get HDR (just not at 60 fps with full UHD Color Off) on the Vizio.

I'm hoping Vizio will fix their ARC issue found on the 7.x firmware with a future update.
Yes, I did misunderstand. I'll give that a look. So all the UHD Color setting does is change the frame rate to 60 (from 30 I'm guessing)?

I'll have to check the firmware. I updated it, so whatever the official firmware is that is what I should have...

Thanks for the feedback!
post #2859 of 2958 Old 07-25-2019, 09:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes, I did misunderstand. I'll give that a look. So all the UHD Color setting does is change the frame rate to 60 (from 30 I'm guessing)?

I'll have to check the firmware. I updated it, so whatever the official firmware is that is what I should have...

Thanks for the feedback!
Basically yes the ability to handle higher chroma (4:2:0 is all that is needed or sent by streamers) and 60 fps. These features are handy for gamers but stress the HDMI port and require an 18 Gbps cable. Until Vizio fixes this issue on the ARC port don't use it. As an aside, the more expensive Sonys only identify two of their four HDMIs as "enhanced" but I use all four for HDR Dolby content on my bedroom set.
henkew likes this.
post #2860 of 2958 Old 07-25-2019, 03:46 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Does anyone know how this Nakamichi 9.2.4 soundbar compares?
https://www.nakamichi-usa.com/shockw...92-dolby-atmos
post #2861 of 2958 Old 07-25-2019, 07:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn23 View Post
Here is one comparison by Brian Tong (formerly with Cnet)

Edit: The Samsung in the shootout is actually the newer Q90R

longhorn23 likes this.

Last edited by naustin; 07-25-2019 at 07:59 PM.
post #2862 of 2958 Old 07-25-2019, 11:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn23 View Post
The Nakamichi is said to very good with Movies since it has two Subs. I have not heard it myself. My test is music not FX booms since I also have a lot of CDs. Everybody has different ideas as to what sounds good to them. That is why speakers should be listened to before buying or at the very least be returnable if they don't meet your expectations. For over a thousand dollars I expect very good sound and the Samsung delivers IMHO.
longhorn23 likes this.
post #2863 of 2958 Old 07-26-2019, 08:21 AM

Quote:

So I turn UHD Color off and use the range and frame matching and I still get HDR? The Vizio manual says I have to enable UHD to get HDR...?

I ran the update but it looks like I'm at 6.X. Is 7.X beta?
Vizio is telling me it should work and their system process 7.1.4 Dolby Atmos. They said I should select Dolby Digital. Samsung says I should select Bitstream.
post #2864 of 2958 Old 07-26-2019, 09:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So I turn UHD Color off and use the range and frame matching and I still get HDR? The Vizio manual says I have to enable UHD to get HDR...?

I ran the update but it looks like I'm at 6.X. Is 7.X beta?
Vizio is telling me it should work and their system process 7.1.4 Dolby Atmos. They said I should select Dolby Digital. Samsung says I should select Bitstream.
Yes. You can verify from the Info button on the Vizio remote or in the Vizio App. UHD On is prefered (60 fps) but not necessary.

7.X is beta which I'm using. I wasn't sure if 6.X also had the problem. I use bitstream and get HDR10 or DolbyVision and Atmos fine on my ATV4K. Good luck.
post #2865 of 2958 Old 07-26-2019, 09:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So I turn UHD Color off and use the range and frame matching and I still get HDR? The Vizio manual says I have to enable UHD to get HDR....
Edit: The Vizio remote or App will show your Video image HDR10 or DV. Audio wise it may show DD+.

To verify Atmos watch the Samsung LED when the program starts for a quick Atmos scroll screen. The older K950 was better because it displayed a continuous blue LED on the top of the SB when Atmos was active.
henkew likes this.
post #2866 of 2958 Old 07-27-2019, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Edit: The Vizio remote or App will show your Video image HDR10 or DV. Audio wise it may show DD+.

To verify Atmos watch the Samsung LED when the program starts for a quick Atmos scroll screen. The older K950 was better because it displayed a continuous blue LED on the top of the SB when Atmos was active.
Thanks for all the help.

So the real problem then is that we can only get 30fps rather than 60 fps with HDR and Dolby Atmos? And we are hoping for a fix to this soon? I try to talk to Vizio support and they say everything is fine, there are no issues, and it works as intended...
post #2867 of 2958 Old 07-27-2019, 01:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for all the help.

So the real problem then is that we can only get 30fps rather than 60 fps with HDR and Dolby Atmos? And we are hoping for a fix to this soon? I try to talk to Vizio support and they say everything is fine, there are no issues, and it works as intended...
True currently for the ARC HDMI 1 port on the Vizio, which affects devices connected directly to the Soundbar. UHD Color and Atmos works on the TV's other 3 HDMI ports and for Smartcast Apps. Like most Tech Support, you are dealing with frontline people that are not product experts.
post #2868 of 2958 Old 07-28-2019, 02:11 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have just got the N950 hving previously had seperates. Very impressed, it sounds very, very good but the bass can be overpowering.
Any way of toning it down other than sub to -12 and bass to -6?
Does the app help with advanced eq?

We watched the dark knight and the bar filled the space with powerful sound, very surprised at what sound bar can do.

Had to change systems as we redecorated!
post #2869 of 2958 Old 07-28-2019, 02:41 PM

Quote:
True currently for the ARC HDMI 1 port on the Vizio, which affects devices connected directly to the Soundbar. UHD Color and Atmos works on the TV's other 3 HDMI ports and for Smartcast Apps. Like most Tech Support, you are dealing with frontline people that are not product experts.
. Vizio support said the following: “Thank you for your recent inquiry with VIZIO. I would be more than happy to help you. Here at VIZIO we do offer best in class technical support.So this would be a hand shake issue between the two devices. We know you can get HDR and we know you can get ATMOS just not at the same time. So that must mean either a hand shake issue or the sound bar is not using HDCP 2.2 with the ATMOS. So at this point we would have nothing further to do on our side. We would recommend contacting the manufacture of the sound bar.“
post #2870 of 2958 Old 07-28-2019, 08:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
. Vizio support said the following: “Thank you for your recent inquiry with VIZIO. I would be more than happy to help you. Here at VIZIO we do offer best in class technical support.So this would be a hand shake issue between the two devices. We know you can get HDR and we know you can get ATMOS just not at the same time. So that must mean either a hand shake issue or the sound bar is not using HDCP 2.2 with the ATMOS. So at this point we would have nothing further to do on our side. We would recommend contacting the manufacture of the sound bar.“
Naustin has answered your questions several times, and already stated that the phone reps of these companies don’t know what they’re talking about. I would suggest checking out your TVs thread for more info, but please take this conversation to PMs otherwise.

Samsung 75Q9FN
Samsung HW-N950
Samsung UBD-M9500

Samsung 55Q80R - Bedroom
post #2871 of 2958 Old 07-29-2019, 02:27 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Did anyone try flashing Q90R update with eARC to N950? The software file names seems similar enough (SAT-HKA18WWC for latest N950 software and SAT-HKA19WWC for latest Q90R software).
Missing eARC is such a big let down for N950.
post #2872 of 2958 Old 07-29-2019, 05:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked: 483
Yes missing earc is a bummer even though my OLED is not capable of passing it through and I have no plans on upgrading it so soon. It’s just the fact Samsung released another high end soundbar less than a year from the 950 and quite pricey considering. Kinda makes me feel a bit anti Samsung. I know technology moves fast,but this was ridiculous. Samsung is not known for updating features on next generation gear.

Last edited by william06; 07-29-2019 at 06:18 AM.
post #2873 of 2958 Old 07-29-2019, 05:16 AM

Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by eXelium View Post
Did anyone try flashing Q90R update with eARC to N950? The software file names seems similar enough (SAT-HKA18WWC for latest N950 software and SAT-HKA19WWC for latest Q90R software).
Having eARC would be a "plus" but I would not call it a big let down. Lossy ATMOS sounds excellent on this sound bar.
william06 and Damar1979 like this.

LG OLED55B8PUA
LG OLED65C7P
LG UBK90
ATV 4K
Samsung HW-N950
post #2874 of 2958 Old 07-29-2019, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfoldingSquid View Post
[
Naustin has answered your questions several times, and already stated that the phone reps of these companies don’️t know what they’️re talking about. I would suggest checking out your TVs thread for more info, but please take this conversation to PMs otherwise.
I’m just looking for any ideas on what I can say to push them to update or hopefully fix the firmware when they think there isn’t a problem. Samsung says it’s vizio. Vizio says it’s Samsung. Support reps dis the forums. Forums dis the reps (I agree the reps don’t seem to know or care). Meanwhile I can’t get it working at optimal settings. Seems like the consensus is an issue with vizio arc. Any suggestions on how to convince them it needs fixed?
post #2875 of 2958 Old 07-29-2019, 06:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked: 483
Quote:
I’m just looking for any ideas on what I can say to push them to update or hopefully fix the firmware when they think there isn’t a problem. Samsung says it’s vizio. Vizio says it’s Samsung. Support reps dis the forums. Forums dis the reps (I agree the reps don’t seem to know or care). Meanwhile I can’t get it working at optimal settings. Seems like the consensus is an issue with vizio arc. Any suggestions on how to convince them it needs fixed?
Keep badgering until you get passed up the ladder.
henkew likes this.
post #2876 of 2958 Old 07-29-2019, 06:27 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by eXelium View Post

Not having eARC in the soundbar is not exactly a big letdown, especially if you have no plans on upgrading your TV to take advantage of it. I know my Q9FN doesnt have eARC, neither does the newly released Q90r TV for that matter. And I dont plan on spending another few grand when my TV works gloriously fine.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
PlasmaHiDef and naustin like this.
post #2877 of 2958 Old 07-29-2019, 08:26 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
I get that you’re trying to find a solution, but you already know it’s a TV issue and not the soundbar. Go to official Vizio forums, if there are some, call Vizio and pester them on a regular basis, try social media. But the problem is off topic for this thread.

Samsung 75Q9FN
Samsung HW-N950
Samsung UBD-M9500

Samsung 55Q80R - Bedroom
post #2878 of 2958 Old 07-29-2019, 10:59 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Ezz View Post
I have just got the N950 hving previously had seperates. Very impressed, it sounds very, very good but the bass can be overpowering.
Any way of toning it down other than sub to -12 and bass to -6?
That can happen if the sub is too close to the wall behind it.

Try playing around with sub location and orientation especially relative to room walls and corners.

Nvidia Shield - Zidoo X9S - HTPC/MPC-HC
Oppo 203 - Samsung HW-N950 - 7.2.4
LG 86UH9500
post #2879 of 2958 Old 07-30-2019, 12:12 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaHiDef View Post
Having eARC would be a "plus" but I would not call it a big let down. Lossy ATMOS sounds excellent on this sound bar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damar1979 View Post
Not having eARC in the soundbar is not exactly a big letdown, especially if you have no plans on upgrading your TV to take advantage of it. I know my Q9FN doesnt have eARC, neither does the newly released Q90r TV for that matter. And I dont plan on spending another few grand when my TV works gloriously fine.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
It might be okay if you buy everything at once. I bought N950 half a year ago. Right now I am in the process of moving to a new flat and on that occasion I decided to upgrade my TV to larger and more recent one (Sony's XG95). So at this moment I have Android TV device with eARC and capable of playing 4K Hi-Def Audio content on it's own but unfortunately soundbar lags behind. I like the simplicity of using one remote and no need to switch inputs in the TV. Of course I could buy Nvidia Shield or some other high spec Android box and connect it directly to soundbar but that will double what I already have built-in into TV which makes little sense. Upgrading to Q90R also makes little sense as it is nearly identical piece of hardware and probably sounds about the same.
post #2880 of 2958 Old 07-30-2019, 05:31 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thank you for the reply.
Where is the best place for a subwoofer?
Regards.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page