196Likes

post #31 of 1655 Old 04-09-2018, 08:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Dhereicome View Post
This still annoys me that LG didn’t make them compatible with the SJ9. But I’d rather spend $499 on the SJ9 than wait for the SK10 and pay double that plus the speakers.
Totally agree with you, don't know why LG can't/don't make it work on SJ9!

TV: SONY KD-55A1 OLED | Audio: LG SK9Y + SPK8-S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 1655 Old 04-09-2018, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenofstephen View Post
Quote:
This still annoys me that LG didn’t make them compatible with the SJ9. But I’d rather spend $499 on the SJ9 than wait for the SK10 and pay double that plus the speakers.
Totally agree with you, don't know why LG can't/don't make it work on SJ9![IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/mad.gif[/IMG]
They could if they wanted to. It’s all wireless anyways! That receiver would just have to be connected to the soundbar. I’m sure they would have an excuse why it can’t though.
post #33 of 1655 Old 04-10-2018, 08:21 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenofstephen View Post
https://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronic...dp/B07BLXK7TY/

Now available at $176.99 on Amazon.com
Man I gotta be honest, those look very similar to the Samsung 9000s's hmmm maybe the same company makes that receiver/speakers for Samsung and LG.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 1655 Old 04-15-2018, 01:32 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 4
So I can't enable Atmos. I've tried with the Dolby Vision/Atmos demo app that came preloaded on the C7 OLED and also on Netflix shows with Dolby Atmos in their descriptions. Soundbar is connected via HDMI ARC OUT directly to the ARC IN on the TV and soundbar is set to the HDMI/ARC input, but when I try to play Atmos content, it only shows that Dolby Vision is enabled in the top right corner of my screen. The only way I can get the TV to show that Atmos is enabled in the top right corner is if I turn off the soundbar and use the Atmos internal TV speakers that come with the C7 which is horse****. I will say, the sound quality is huge step up from the C7s internal speakers, but what soundbar's isn't? Returning this regardless of whether this gets resolved or not due to lack of DTS:X.

post #35 of 1655 Old 04-15-2018, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVXIMUS View Post
So I can't enable Atmos. I've tried with the Dolby Vision/Atmos demo app that came preloaded on the C7 OLED and also on Netflix shows with Dolby Atmos in their descriptions. Soundbar is connected via HDMI ARC OUT directly to the ARC IN on the TV and soundbar is set to the HDMI/ARC input, but when I try to play Atmos content, it only shows that Dolby Vision is enabled in the top right corner of my screen. The only way I can get the TV to show that Atmos is enabled in the top right corner is if I turn off the soundbar and use the Atmos internal TV speakers that come with the C7 which is horse****. I will say, the sound quality is huge step up from the C7s internal speakers, but what soundbar's isn't? Returning this regardless of whether this gets resolved or not due to lack of DTS:X.

The TV doesn’t display Atmos if the soundbar is on. The soundbar displays Atmos, that’s all.
post #36 of 1655 Old 04-15-2018, 02:27 PM

You are absolutely right. I was tired last night when I set it up, but now that I got some rest I can definitely hear the difference between the Atmos on and Atmos off in the Dolby Access app demo. Object based sound is clearly not as isolated as actual speakers above me would be, but I do get a sense of being surrounded by the audio. For example, during the rainfall part of the demo, I wouldn't be able to pinpoint that the sound is coming from the soundbar, but it doesn't sound like the sound is coming from above me either. It sounds more like the sound is coming from the top of my TV and the front corners of the room.

Last edited by MVXIMUS; 04-15-2018 at 02:58 PM.
post #37 of 1655 Old 04-15-2018, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
You are absolutely right. I was tired last night when I set it up, but now that I got some rest I can definitely hear the difference between the Atmos on and Atmos off in the Dolby Access app demo. Object based sound is clearly not as isolated as actual speakers above me would be, but I do get a sense of being surrounded by the audio. For example, during the rainfall part of the demo, I wouldn't be able to pinpoint that the sound is coming from the soundbar, but it doesn't sound like the sound is coming from above me either. It sounds more like the sound is coming from the top of my TV and the front corners of the room.
Yeah I feel the same way but I still really like it. I have the SJ9 so you have more power and speakers than me (rears if added.) also, download the app, it has functionality to change the volume of just the upfiring speakers, which I don’t have. I wish I had that option.
post #38 of 1655 Old 04-15-2018, 05:57 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Checked it out at Best Buy the other day. It was hooked up w/o the subwoofer. The basic SQ sounded really good but of course it's hard to tell in a big box store

LG B7 65", PS4 Pro, Switch, Roku Premiere+, Samsung K8500, Sennheiser RS185
Denon X4400H, RSL CG23+CG3, Onkyo SKH-410, Emotiva BasX8 (5.1.4)
post #39 of 1655 Old 04-15-2018, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Yeah I feel the same way but I still really like it. I have the SJ9 so you have more power and speakers than me (rears if added.) also, download the app, it has functionality to change the volume of just the upfiring speakers, which I don’t have. I wish I had that option.
Good to know! I'll try increasing the volume of the upfiring speakers. I have the rear speakers too, but I don't think I'll be opening the box. Towards the beginning of this thread, like you and others, I was hopeful that this would support DTS:X, but it doesn't. It should've been obvious as someone mentioned earlier that the owner's manual was available online with no mention of DTS:X. I'll wait for a soundbar that supports Atmos, DTS:X, and rear satellites. It's a shame because the sound quality on this is great. Felt like I bought a $25 ticket to watch a Dolby Cinema movie in theatres, but with perfect black
post #40 of 1655 Old 04-15-2018, 11:24 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Good to know! I'll try increasing the volume of the upfiring speakers. I have the rear speakers too, but I don't think I'll be opening the box. Towards the beginning of this thread, like you and others, I was hopeful that this would support DTS:X, but it doesn't. It should've been obvious as someone mentioned earlier that the owner's manual was available online with no mention of DTS:X. I'll wait for a soundbar that supports Atmos, DTS:X, and rear satellites. It's a shame because the sound quality on this is great. Felt like I bought a $25 ticket to watch a Dolby Cinema movie in theatres, but with perfect black
Maybe try a couple of DTS:X movies on BR and see how it does?

LG B7 65", PS4 Pro, Switch, Roku Premiere+, Samsung K8500, Sennheiser RS185
Denon X4400H, RSL CG23+CG3, Onkyo SKH-410, Emotiva BasX8 (5.1.4)
post #41 of 1655 Old 04-16-2018, 04:46 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil of OLED View Post
Quote:
Maybe try a couple of DTS:X movies on BR and see how it does?
This. It does sound great with Atmos content. But just because it doesn’t “support” DTS:X, doesn’t mean that it can’t handle it. If I was you I would buy the 4K blu day for Harry Potter, deathly hallows part 2. That is DTS:X and towards the end of the movie Voldemort talks to everyone and it moves around the room across different speakers. Hook up the rears, set it to movie mode and see how the bar decodes it. If it works, then I wouldn’t worry about returning it. This is all conjecture as I’ve heard the movie had great surround for DTS, I myself don’t own the 4K versions. I’m also really curious to what the bar decodes it as, you can find this out with hitting info.

I’ve always secretly hoped that LG knows more than we do and that it works.
post #42 of 1655 Old 04-16-2018, 09:44 PM

Quote:
This. It does sound great with Atmos content. But just because it doesn’t “support” DTS:X, doesn’t mean that it can’t handle it. If I was you I would buy the 4K blu day for Harry Potter, deathly hallows part 2. That is DTS:X and towards the end of the movie Voldemort talks to everyone and it moves around the room across different speakers. Hook up the rears, set it to movie mode and see how the bar decodes it. If it works, then I wouldn’t worry about returning it. This is all conjecture as I’ve heard the movie had great surround for DTS, I myself don’t own the 4K versions. I’m also really curious to what the bar decodes it as, you can find this out with hitting info.

I assumed that if it doesn't support DTS:X, it wouldn't truly isolate object based audio into the upfiring speakers for DTS:X branded movies. I'm sure setting up the rear speakers will allow me to hear Voldemort as if he's behind me, but as far as things like rain scenes or helicopters flying overhead, wouldn't the sound of the propellers just play through basically all or most speakers rather than mainly being played through the upfiring speakers? If so, that would bother me knowing that I'm not utilizing that technology unless the back of the movie case says Dolby Atmos.

LG OLED65C7 | LG SK10Y w/ SPK8-S | Sony UBP-X700 | Nintendo 64
post #43 of 1655 Old 04-17-2018, 04:34 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:

I assumed that if it doesn't support DTS:X, it wouldn't truly isolate object based audio into the upfiring speakers for DTS:X branded movies. I'm sure setting up the rear speakers will allow me to hear Voldemort as if he's behind me, but as far as things like rain scenes or helicopters flying overhead, wouldn't the sound of the propellers just play through basically all or most speakers rather than mainly being played through the upfiring speakers? If so, that would bother me knowing that I'm not utilizing that technology unless the back of the movie case says Dolby Atmos.
Couldn’t tell ya as I haven’t tried it and I don’t have rear speakers. Sounds like you’re either going virtual 100% (Z9F), you’re buying Samsung and not getting DV pass through and bugs, you’re going ST5000 and not having rear speakers or you’re waiting for Vizio, but I actually think that doesn’t support DTS:X too.
Riekopo likes this.
post #44 of 1655 Old 04-17-2018, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Couldn’t tell ya as I haven’t tried it and I don’t have rear speakers. Sounds like you’re either going virtual 100% (Z9F), you’re buying Samsung and not getting DV pass through and bugs, you’re going ST5000 and not having rear speakers or you’re waiting for Vizio, but I actually think that doesn’t support DTS:X too.
Hopefully some good Z9F reviews come out soon because there's no way I'm getting an Atmos/DTS:X soundbar without rear speakers. IMO rear speakers are even more important than Atmos/DTS:X. Any chance of a firmware update for the SK10Y to support DTS:X?
Riekopo likes this.
post #45 of 1655 Old 04-17-2018, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:
Hopefully some good Z9F reviews come out soon because there's no way I'm getting an Atmos/DTS:X soundbar without rear speakers. IMO rear speakers are even more important than Atmos/DTS:X. Any chance of a firmware update for the SK10Y to support DTS:X?
LG doesn’t seem super interested in adding it but it would definitely be a nice addition.
Riekopo likes this.
post #46 of 1655 Old 04-18-2018, 10:32 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Rear speakers are important. I'm currently using Bose 300, the rears gave me sound effects which SJ9 and HT5000 failed. But would love to have ATMOS / DTS:X speakers with rears, thus waiting for Z9F and N950.
post #47 of 1655 Old 04-20-2018, 12:22 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Hello,

I read that this soundbar comes with a "perfect fit" stand for the 2018 OLEDs. Does anyone know if it fits 2017 models, spesifically the C7? Also is this too tall to be used with C7?

I'm going to buy the 65" C7 very soon. I was initially looking at the SJ8 soundbar but decided to go for the SJ9 since the price is the same here at the moment. Now I got greedy and thought I might as well splash a little more cash and get the SK10Y since I'm going to be using this setup for many many years (last upgrade to AV-system was over three years ago). Also the SK10Y fits the 65" tvs nicely (width).

Thanks!
post #48 of 1655 Old 04-20-2018, 04:57 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theathlete View Post
Hello,

I read that this soundbar comes with a "perfect fit" stand for the 2018 OLEDs. Does anyone know if it fits 2017 models, spesifically the C7? Also is this too tall to be used with C7?

I'm going to buy the 65" C7 very soon. I was initially looking at the SJ8 soundbar but decided to go for the SJ9 since the price is the same here at the moment. Now I got greedy and thought I might as well splash a little more cash and get the SK10Y since I'm going to be using this setup for many many years (last upgrade to AV-system was over three years ago). Also the SK10Y fits the 65" tvs nicely (width).

Thanks!
The SJ9 doesn’t block the TV on the stand and If I remember this one is slimmer, you should be fine on that front.
post #49 of 1655 Old 04-20-2018, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theathlete View Post
Hello,

Thanks!
The soundbar comes with some plates for wall mounting, but no stand. Just measured the height of the SK10Y and it's exactly 6.5cm tall. My C7 is wall-mounted, so I can't say how much clearance the stand gives you from the soundbar. According to LG's website "A specially designed mount* is available separately to replace the original television stand, enabling the sound bar to fit seamlessly with select LG OLED and SUPER UHD TVs... *LG TK10 mount available separately. Compatible with the LG 65 and 55-inch OLED TV (C8/B8 series) or SUPER UHD TV (SK95/85 series)" so the separate TV stand may not be compatible with the C7.

post #50 of 1655 Old 04-20-2018, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New_to_4K View Post
Rear speakers are important. I'm currently using Bose 300, the rears gave me sound effects which SJ9 and HT5000 failed. But would love to have ATMOS / DTS:X speakers with rears, thus waiting for Z9F and N950.
Sounds like the Z9F's object based DSP sound technology doesn't compare to upfiring speakers based on initial reports and the N950 would eliminate the Dolby Vision from my C7, so I'm SOL for the time being...
Riekopo likes this.

post #51 of 1655 Old 04-20-2018, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Checked it out at Best Buy when I was picking up god of war. LG rep was there, he said meridians addition was aluminum domed tweeters. Sounds pretty good, but I couldn’t compare to the SJ9.
post #52 of 1655 Old 04-21-2018, 05:09 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Thanks everyone for the answers.

Since it seems you can't "integrate" the SK10Y to the 2017 OLEDs I think I'm going to go with the SJ9 since the SK10Y is twice as expensive.
Riekopo likes this.
post #53 of 1655 Old 04-21-2018, 03:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Can you turn off display on this bar or it is always present?

Sony A9F, LG E9, LG B6 (retired)
post #54 of 1655 Old 04-21-2018, 04:33 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anybody know if there are third parties that make something like the LG TK10 for the C7? Anybody try to make it fit the C7? Would like to use the SK10Y with my C7 as seamlessly as possible.
post #55 of 1655 Old 04-21-2018, 05:04 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by bordersm View Post
Does anybody know if there are third parties that make something like the LG TK10 for the C7? Anybody try to make it fit the C7? Would like to use the SK10Y with my C7 as seamlessly as possible.
LG TK10 stand for the SK10 soundbar doesn't appear to fit the 2017 OLEDs. The bolt pattern looks small. If you're just worried about the soundbar blocking the TV, you could get a universal TV stand like the ones from Sanus. They'll bolt to the VESA mount on the back and you can raise the TV up.

Last edited by BUJonathan; 04-22-2018 at 07:58 AM.
post #56 of 1655 Old 04-21-2018, 11:19 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
No it only fits the C8 and B8 and some other 2018 TV’s.

The SJ9 is 2.28” and this one is 2.4” and it doesn’t block the screen one bit. You can slide it right in front of it and it compliments it nicely.
post #57 of 1655 Old 04-22-2018, 05:02 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

The SJ9 is 2.28” and this one is 2.4” and it doesn’t block the screen one bit. You can slide it right in front of it and it compliments it nicely.
Thanks for all of the suggestion. I ended up getting a stand with a mount (below). Arrived this week.

https://www.amazon.com/Fitueyes-Univ...tv+stand+mount

I got the SK10Y an openbox at Bestbuy (for $714). Guy apparently had it two days. The SK10Y sounds decent but I don't really see where/how the meridian technology is implicated. I also seem to prefer dialogue from the internal speakers rather than the bar, but maybe that's because I need to tweak some settings. Is there any way to confirm everything is working correctly?
post #58 of 1655 Old 04-22-2018, 06:48 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for all of the suggestion. I ended up getting a stand with a mount (below). Arrived this week.

https://www.amazon.com/Fitueyes-Univ...tv+stand+mount

I got the SK10Y an openbox at Bestbuy (for $714). Guy apparently had it two days. The SK10Y sounds decent but I don't really see where/how the meridian technology is implicated. I also seem to prefer dialogue from the internal speakers rather than the bar, but maybe that's because I need to tweak some settings. Is there any way to confirm everything is working correctly?
Wow that’s a sweet deal. I actually talked with an LG rep the other day and he said meridian’s addition was one sound mode and aluminum domed tweeters for better highs. Have you adjusted any of the settings on the bar? I have the SJ9 but you have to change sub/bass/treble with the remote or the app. The app shows you everything the bar is capable of changing. I would start there and make sure DRC is off, night mode is off and anything else as well. Then try changing through the sound modes as well; standard, ASC, movie, bass blast.

Try Atmos, you’ll know if it’s working correctly, they sound incredible with Atmos. Either a UHD or the Dolby access app if you have a 2017 OLED or an Xbox One S or higher.
post #59 of 1655 Old 04-23-2018, 12:16 PM

Liked: 1
Quote:

Man, this is too bad. I was really looking forward to the aesthetics of adding the SK10Y to my B7 that I got last year using the mount, particularly because my TV is not wall-mounted. To slide the soundbar right in front means I'll have to push the TV back on its stand quite a bit from where it currently sits. The VESA mount stands mean the soundbar will be sitting stop the base of the stand. Not as clean of a look...
post #60 of 1655 Old 04-23-2018, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by medieval7 View Post
Quote:

Man, this is too bad. I was really looking forward to the aesthetics of adding the SK10Y to my B7 that I got last year using the mount, particularly because my TV is not wall-mounted. To slide the soundbar right in front means I'll have to push the TV back on its stand quite a bit from where it currently sits. The VESA mount stands mean the soundbar will be sitting stop the base of the stand. Not as clean of a look...

I know. LG seems to love to make things that can’t be upgraded or backward compatible in absolutely anyway. Why you would make a stand that can’t compliment ALL your TV’s is just unreal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Tags
arc , hdr , lg sk10y , sky10y , soundbar , Vizio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page