Sk10y - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 196Likes

post #61 of 1650 Old 04-23-2018, 04:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I like that mount from Amazon, I had to add that to my shopping list.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 1650 Old 04-23-2018, 04:36 PM

I have the Sk10Y with the rear speakers.
post #63 of 1650 Old 04-23-2018, 04:37 PM

I turned DRC off. I need one more post to get to 5 the magic number.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 1650 Old 04-23-2018, 04:38 PM

This is 5 posts can I reply and cut and paste now?
post #65 of 1650 Old 04-23-2018, 04:39 PM

have the LG SK10Y w/SPK8-S and I've been using it for a few weeks now.

1. There is no firmware update for it yet.
2. The iOS app is handy on my small iPad.
3. I'm processing thru a TCL65C807 TV which goes to Gma once I get the C8
4. So I can't comment on the Dolby Atmos yet.
5. Some cable channels have a lip sync issue. And PBS or BBS broadcasts did this on both Fios and Netflix, I won't donate to them anymore.
6. Netflix movies are good but muffled in Movie function. Bass Boost, ASC are much louder.
7. I listened to music from my Apple TV 4K for a few hours, and it was very good. I'm a fan of Bass Boost! I could hear every note, every guitar lick. Very nice experience. Movies work just as well thru the ATV but the beta update from Apple still has no support for Atmos. Youtube worked well on the ATV too.
8. Back speakers worked out nice and I used the 2 supports for the soundbar to mount them. I have to save for the 77C8
9. I can't give anything more until I swap out the TCL for the C8, and thus have a TV that processes Atmos.
post #66 of 1650 Old 04-23-2018, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bordersm View Post
Thanks for all of the suggestion. I ended up getting a stand with a mount (below). Arrived this week.

https://www.amazon.com/Fitueyes-Univ...tv+stand+mount

I got the SK10Y an openbox at Bestbuy (for $714). Guy apparently had it two days. The SK10Y sounds decent but I don't really see where/how the meridian technology is implicated. I also seem to prefer dialogue from the internal speakers rather than the bar, but maybe that's because I need to tweak some settings. Is there any way to confirm everything is working correctly?
I put that TV Stand on my wish list. Is it sturdy enough for your TV?
post #67 of 1650 Old 04-24-2018, 03:25 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Important typo in my email -- it arrive[s] on Wednesday (i.e., tomorrow). I'll let folks know how it works. Will probably set up this weekend.
post #68 of 1650 Old 04-24-2018, 06:38 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks for all of the suggestion. I ended up getting a stand with a mount (below). Arrived this week.

I got the SK10Y an openbox at Bestbuy (for $714). Guy apparently had it two days. The SK10Y sounds decent but I don't really see where/how the meridian technology is implicated. I also seem to prefer dialogue from the internal speakers rather than the bar, but maybe that's because I need to tweak some settings.
I also was able to get the speakers at the same price open box online at Best Buy, i also was able to get the rears for $87.50 at my local Best Buy. A steal for just over $800 for both.
post #69 of 1650 Old 04-24-2018, 09:00 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Is 2016 LG oled 65e6p model compatible with sk10y?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
post #70 of 1650 Old 04-25-2018, 03:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked: 130
How does the soundbar sounds with rears and Atmos content?

Sony A9F, LG E9, LG B6 (retired)
post #71 of 1650 Old 04-25-2018, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New_to_4K View Post
How does the soundbar sounds with rears and Atmos content?
The system sounds so much better with the rears. I tried the SJ9 last year without rears and I returned them because you could tell the sound was not the same. Definitely 100% better with rears with atmos. Only thing the rears are hooked up with speaker wire to the wireless receiver, where as I liked the design better in the Samsung wireless rears, but Samsung did not play nice with my Oled C7, due to atmos over arc.
post #72 of 1650 Old 04-25-2018, 02:36 PM

The rear speakers do sound good and I was missing them after I moved my old system to a new room.
post #73 of 1650 Old 04-26-2018, 02:41 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Set up the rear speakers last night. Compared to the upfiring speakers, the rears obviously produce distinguished/isolated audio that can make it sound like there is something to my back-left, my back-right, and even directly behind me. Love it. The upfiring speakers, on the other hand, can make it seem like the audio is coming from the ceiling above the TV, but not anywhere close to directly above my head, which is expected. I will say that the upfiring speakers are definitely a nice cherry on top to the 7.1 surround sound; enough to really wish it supported DTS:X. I'm happy with the SQ, so I've decided to keep this set-up rather than risk not being satisfied with the Z9F. Also, the Z9F would only be $100 less than the SK10Y, considering their rear speakers cost $300. I'll just have to live without object based audio when playing DTS:X movies I guess.

BTW, the prepackaged box for the SPK8-S (at least from Best Buy) doesn't come with wall mounts/brackets which are supposedly sold separately, but even the LG live chat wasn't able to help me find them anywhere for purchase... not even a model number. b&h and beach camera's websites say they come with the mounts though.
post #74 of 1650 Old 04-27-2018, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVXIMUS View Post
Set up the rear speakers last night. Compared to the upfiring speakers, the rears obviously produce distinguished/isolated audio that can make it sound like there is something to my back-left, my back-right, and even directly behind me. Love it. The upfiring speakers, on the other hand, can make it seem like the audio is coming from the ceiling above the TV, but not anywhere close to directly above my head, which is expected. I will say that the upfiring speakers are definitely a nice cherry on top to the 7.1 surround sound; enough to really wish it supported DTS:X. I'm happy with the SQ, so I've decided to keep this set-up rather than risk not being satisfied with the Z9F. Also, the Z9F would only be $100 less than the SK10Y, considering their rear speakers cost $300. I'll just have to live without object based audio when playing DTS:X movies I guess.

BTW, the prepackaged box for the SPK8-S (at least from Best Buy) doesn't come with wall mounts/brackets which are supposedly sold separately, but even the LG live chat wasn't able to help me find them anywhere for purchase... not even a model number. b&h and beach camera's websites say they come with the mounts though.
^^^ The rear speakers don't come with mounts so I used the mounts that came with the sound bar. My walls are a dark 70's paneling so they don't stand out to bad. I filled the gap in the mounts with some rubber isolator's I had on hand and just sit the speakers on them. Free is good.
post #75 of 1650 Old 04-27-2018, 12:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
sk10y is available 4k hdr pass-through?
post #76 of 1650 Old 04-27-2018, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdom8 View Post
sk10y is available 4k hdr pass-through?
Yes, it passes through Dolby and regular HDR.
post #77 of 1650 Old 04-27-2018, 01:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Dhereicome View Post
Yes, it passes through Dolby and regular HDR.
Thank you for your reply!
post #78 of 1650 Old 04-28-2018, 02:44 AM

Hi guys!
What you think...
What is a better choice on absolutely the same price: sony5000 lg10?
Sony had a 7.1.2 vs 5.1.2 and DTS:X.
Who is Meridian guys? they understand the sound?

55c8
post #79 of 1650 Old 04-28-2018, 12:46 PM
Advanced Member

Can you adjust volume on the rear speakers spk8 separately?

post #80 of 1650 Old 04-28-2018, 01:08 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Can you adjust volume on the rear speakers spk8 separately?

Yes, you can adjust the volume on the rear speakers separately from the soundbar, but if you mean each individual left or right rear driver, no you cannot. the rear left and right speaker volumes always match each other, at least for now unless lg adds that functionality to the mobile app.
New_to_4K likes this.

LG OLED65C7 | LG SK10Y w/ SPK8-S | Sony UBP-X700 | Nintendo 64
post #81 of 1650 Old 04-28-2018, 01:30 PM
Advanced Member

Can you turn off the soundbar display? How important is the mobile app? Can I adjust volume on upfiring speakers? What is Meridian contribution?

Last edited by New_to_4K; 04-28-2018 at 01:37 PM.
post #82 of 1650 Old 04-28-2018, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kura1 View Post
Hi guys!
What you think...
What is a better choice on absolutely the same price: sony5000 lg10?
Sony had a 7.1.2 vs 5.1.2 and DTS:X.
Who is Meridian guys? they understand the sound?
Quote:
Can you turn off the soundbar display? How important is the mobile app? Can I adjust volume on upfiring speakers? What is Meridian contribution?
I’d rather have the LG as it can be a true wireless system. Meridian is a high end audio company. Their contribution is one sound mode and aluminum domed tweeters for better highs, that’s what an LG rep told me. The display does not shut off, you don’t need the app but I do believe it’s needed to adjust certain values. You can adjust the upfiring speakers volume and I believe that’s what you need the app for. You may also need the app to setup the rear speakers. It’s safe to say, you’ll want the app downloaded. Someone else can confirm but the app on the SJ9 is used to adjust certain things and setup the rears and I believe it’s exactly the same here.
post #83 of 1650 Old 04-29-2018, 10:16 AM

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 40
This is the best summary I’ve read this far from a fellow owner of the bar.
Performance -
Here’s where the entire experience goes off-the-rails. I have to say straight away that the engineering team at LG – with or without the help of Dolby labs and/or Meridian – really missed the mark on this one. It truly feels like a half-baked product. This system is touted (and priced) as the pinnacle of the product range, with strong emphasis on the Dolby Atmos functionality and yet it is the Dolby processing that really ruins the customer experience. I’ve demo’d quite a bit of Dolby Atmos & Dolby Digital 5.1 content (from both Blu-ray & DVD sources) and nearly all of it sounds horrible no matter the internal settings employed, either by way of the remote control or the mobile app. With Dolby Atmos material, the staging is completely fouled up with the main dialogue/center presence being shoved back or masked, like the drivers that produced that sound field are positioned at the back of the sound bar. Once any type of dramatic presence, be it ambient music or environmental soundscape, kicks into gear, the main dialogue is nearly unperceivable. I’ve tried numerous settings to try and rectify the situation with no success. With Dolby Digital 5.1 sound fields the issue is less prominent but no less aggravating. It is almost as if there is a form of DRC enabled deep in the bowels of the DSP control that is squashing the main dialogue and primary sound content into a ‘back stage ‘or misaligned position. Enabling the Night mode or DRC on normal Dolby programming does nothing to rectify the problem. In comparison to just about any Dolby Atmos enabled AV Receiver presently on the market, where you can customize individual sound levels for ALL of the channels separately, this SK10Y provides only limited and fundamentally awkward sound field adjustment. At the very least, there should be a “center” volume adjustment in both the remote controller menus and the mobile app. This is a glaring omission. Without this critical level control, and no matter how large or small the other issues that are present in this package, the mere fact that you cannot adjust the center & main channel volume levels separate from the surround & presence (Atmos) sound fields relegates this package to pretty much non-functional at the most basic level.

Perhaps this issue can be and will be addressed in a future firmware update (and mobile app revision) but it does seems rather odd that this system was released in such a crippled fashion.
post #84 of 1650 Old 04-29-2018, 04:25 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Important typo in my email -- it arrive[s] on Wednesday (i.e., tomorrow). I'll let folks know how it works. Will probably set up this weekend.

So that mount did not work well with the LG because the mounting holes are very low in the back. Would work on any TV with VESA mounts in the middle.
post #85 of 1650 Old 04-30-2018, 03:52 AM
Advanced Member

Receiving mine today. Which app should I download? LG Musicflow?

post #86 of 1650 Old 04-30-2018, 10:30 AM
Advanced Member

My initial thoughts without rears:

Pros:
1. Excellent overhead sound. The best I've tried so far from a soundbar (vs. SJ9, K850, ST5000)
2. Good sound effects on streaming services.
3. Ability to add rears. Those with rears, is it much better?

Cons:
1. It's big. The longest soundbar, I've purchased. It's better fit for 65" tv. Looks odd with my current setup.
2. Sub is weak. I've turned the woofer to max +6db.
3. No DTS-X. Will try some content with this audio and see if it plays well DTS-X content.

I'll try for a few more days and decide if I want to keep this.

post #87 of 1650 Old 04-30-2018, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Receiving mine today. Which app should I download? LG Musicflow?
It says in the instructions. There are 2 different ones, one for the SJ series and one for the SK8/9/10Y series.

Quote:
My initial thoughts without rears:

Pros:
1. Excellent overhead sound. The best I've tried so far from a soundbar (vs. SJ9, K850, ST5000)
2. Good sound effects on streaming services.
3. Ability to add rears. Those with rears, is it much better?

Cons:
1. It's big. The longest soundbar, I've purchased. It's better fit for 65" tv. Looks odd with my current setup.
2. Sub is weak. I've turned the woofer to max +6db.
3. No DTS-X. Will try some content with this audio and see if it plays well DTS-X content.

I'll try for a few more days and decide if I want to keep this.
I’ve never understood the bass complaint. Mine rumbles everything. I have to turn it down because it’s too much.
lifes_that_easy likes this.
post #88 of 1650 Old 04-30-2018, 08:07 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Anyone have any experience with a K950? That's what I've got right now, with a C7.

Any advantages switching to this (with rear speakers), outside of enabling Atmos over ARC? How does the sound quality compare between the two?

I would be excited to be able to finally get Dolby Vision and Atmos at the same time, but if the sound quality isn't significantly better I don't think it would be worth the expense and hassle of switching.
post #89 of 1650 Old 05-01-2018, 09:52 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I also own the LF SK10Y soundbar and find it very disturbing that the display does not turn off completely after 15 seconds. It anoys me. I dont wanne see any lights under my screen when watching tv in a dimmed room. I hope LG solves this problem with a firmware upgrade.
post #90 of 1650 Old 05-01-2018, 12:27 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsten View Post
Anyone have any experience with a K950? That's what I've got right now, with a C7.

Any advantages switching to this (with rear speakers), outside of enabling Atmos over ARC? How does the sound quality compare between the two?

I would be excited to be able to finally get Dolby Vision and Atmos at the same time, but if the sound quality isn't significantly better I don't think it would be worth the expense and hassle of switching.
If you are running everything through the (newly stable!) Xbox One Dolby App, the K950 is the best soundbar you can own right now. If you aren't, the SK10Y+rears might very well sound better for typical Amazon/Netflix streaming content. I would grab one at Best Buy (15 day return policy) if you want to find out! Sadly, there are very few comparison reviews of soundbars out there.

LG B7 65", PS4 Pro, Switch, Roku Premiere+, Samsung K8500, Sennheiser RS185
Denon X4400H, RSL CG23+CG3, Onkyo SKH-410, Emotiva BasX8 (5.1.4)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Tags
arc , hdr , lg sk10y , sky10y , soundbar , Vizio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page