Sk10y - Page 40 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 199Likes

post #1171 of 1860 Old 10-31-2018, 05:43 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 45
After way too many hours playing the same scenes to do tests I came to the conclusion that the Sony HTZ9F with rear speakers was a better soundbar. Even without up firing speakers the Atmos works better for me.
On the LG I can always tell which sound was coming from which speakers.
On the Sony once you start a movie the speakers disappear, it truly feels like 3D audio, the overhead might be a little bit less pronounced but it felt more like a gimmick on the LG.
I’ll add that I do not have the perfect ceiling for reflection since it is rounded. For those of you still debating about picking one of the two I highly recommend the Sony which will sound more consistant in any room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 1860 Old 10-31-2018, 06:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITHWD View Post
It's playing atmos on my 4k firestick and the built-in app on my tv
Thanks. I guess I will have to try the fire tv stick 4k.
My 2016 oled doesnt send DD+ over ARC so no atmos option with the tv app.
Nvidia shield tv and xbox dont seem to be working for atmos on Amazon Prime Video only.

Edit: Shield TV started playing Atmos with Prime Video today. I killed all running apps, so maybe that had something to do with it.

TV: LG OLED65C6P
SOUNDBAR: LG SK10Y + surrounds
PLEX SERVER: QNAP TS-453Bmini
ACCESSORIES: HDHomeRun EXTEND, Xbox One X, Nvidia Shield TV

Last edited by csviegas; 11-01-2018 at 05:37 PM.
post #1173 of 1860 Old 11-01-2018, 02:50 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Hi All,

So I've had the SK10Y for about a month now and am pleased with it overall. That said, I'm not sure it's actually utilizing Dolby Atmos when available. The current set-up I have is the bar is connected to my C8 via ARC. All of my components (4k Blu Ray, Apple TV) are connected via HDMI to the C8. When I put on a Netflix series/movie that is supposed to utilize Atmos, the C8 only displays "Dolby Vision" on the screen when the show starts. I know from my previous soundbar, it would say both "Dolby Vision" and "Dolby Atmos" in the upper right hand corner of the screen. Granted, my previous bar was older and didn't support Atmos (at least not to my knowledge) but it came up on the screen nonetheless. Also, when I connected my Blu Ray player directly to the bar (via the HDMI 1 input on the bar) and then ran a separate HDMI cable to the TV, there seemed to be a notable atmospheric effect that was seemingly absent with original set-up. Obviously I can't replicate this connection set-up with Apple TV as it only has one HDMI out where as the Blu Ray Player has two (one regular and one 'audio only'. So is my current set-up correct? Has anyone else experienced this 'issue'?

Thank you in advance for your replies/suggestions.

Best,
John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1174 of 1860 Old 11-01-2018, 03:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by John DiBello View Post
Hi All,

So I've had the SK10Y for about a month now and am pleased with it overall. That said, I'm not sure it's actually utilizing Dolby Atmos when available. The current set-up I have is the bar is connected to my C8 via ARC. All of my components (4k Blu Ray, Apple TV) are connected via HDMI to the C8. When I put on a Netflix series/movie that is supposed to utilize Atmos, the C8 only displays "Dolby Vision" on the screen when the show starts. I know from my previous soundbar, it would say both "Dolby Vision" and "Dolby Atmos" in the upper right hand corner of the screen. Granted, my previous bar was older and didn't support Atmos (at least not to my knowledge) but it came up on the screen nonetheless. Also, when I connected my Blu Ray player directly to the bar (via the HDMI 1 input on the bar) and then ran a separate HDMI cable to the TV, there seemed to be a notable atmospheric effect that was seemingly absent with original set-up. Obviously I can't replicate this connection set-up with Apple TV as it only has one HDMI out where as the Blu Ray Player has two (one regular and one 'audio only'. So is my current set-up correct? Has anyone else experienced this 'issue'?

Best,
John
Did you check on the sound bar display? Every time I start a Dolby Atmos signal, it scrolls "Dolby Atmos" on the display, not on the TV.
post #1175 of 1860 Old 11-01-2018, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Hi All,

Best,
John
Have you tried plugging in the Apple TV 4K into the soundbar HDMI 1 or 2? And run another HDMI cable from soundbar ARC to TV ARC?

post #1176 of 1860 Old 11-01-2018, 08:10 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusnyc View Post
Quote:
Hi All,

Best,
John
Did you check on the sound bar display? Every time I start a Dolby Atmos signal, it scrolls "Dolby Atmos" on the display, not on the TV.
Press the info on the soundbar. Should scroll Dolby Atmos. I also have the C8 and DA only showed in the upper right hand corner when the internal speakers were being used. Are you sure with your previous setup it was not outputing to both the soundbar and internal speakers?
post #1177 of 1860 Old 11-02-2018, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusnyc View Post
I haven't seen this. What wire set-up are you using (i.e. what do you have plugged into which HDMI connections on the soundbar/TV)?
post #1178 of 1860 Old 11-02-2018, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csviegas View Post
Have you tried plugging in the Apple TV 4K into the soundbar HDMI 1 or 2? And run another HDMI cable from soundbar ARC to TV ARC?
I haven't tried this but the thought crossed my mind after my original post. I'll give this a shot today and see if it works. Thanks!
post #1179 of 1860 Old 11-02-2018, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpyo012 View Post
Press the info on the soundbar. Should scroll Dolby Atmos. I also have the C8 and DA only showed in the upper right hand corner when the internal speakers were being used. Are you sure with your previous setup it was not outputing to both the soundbar and internal speakers?
To be honest, I'm not sure. But it sounds like that was likely the case. I'm going to try a different wiring set-up and see if that does it.
post #1180 of 1860 Old 11-02-2018, 11:02 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Sorry if this has been flushed out by now.
But does anyone know if I should have surround on or off? I do not have rear speakers.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
post #1181 of 1860 Old 11-02-2018, 11:38 AM

Quote:
This did the trick! Thanks!
post #1182 of 1860 Old 11-02-2018, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
I haven't seen this. What wire set-up are you using (i.e. what do you have plugged into which HDMI connections on the soundbar/TV)?
I connected the sound bar to the ARC input in the TV. Then I connected the Apple TV to the TV as well. That's it.

When I play something using the Apple TV that has Atmos, the sound bar shows the Dolby Atmos message. The same when I use a TV app (like Vudu). It will say Dolby Atmos in the bar but no message on the TV.

Gus
post #1183 of 1860 Old 11-02-2018, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
[quote=csviegas;57035380]Check out these two videos. In the 1st link at the 5:07 time it shows what button to press. This will allow you to change the soundbar functions with the TV remote (provided you ran through the setup and have HDMI-CEC turned on for both devices).
/quote]

i called my tv provider and my settopbox does not have cec. so if i connect it to tv via the soundbar it meeses everything up. Everytime i select HDMI2 (where soundbar is conencted) it presumes i want to use the shield becuse thats the only device it recognizes.

When i connect my settopbox direct to tv with ARC sound to the soundbar now i have to choose everytime on the soundbar manually the optical/hdmi input. (after switching back from the shield.
Anyone have a solution ?
post #1184 of 1860 Old 11-02-2018, 06:04 PM

[quote=onyx6666;57053062]
Quote:
Check out these two videos. In the 1st link at the 5:07 time it shows what button to press. This will allow you to change the soundbar functions with the TV remote (provided you ran through the setup and have HDMI-CEC turned on for both devices).
/quote]

i called my tv provider and my settopbox does not have cec. so if i connect it to tv via the soundbar it meeses everything up. Everytime i select HDMI2 (where soundbar is conencted) it presumes i want to use the shield becuse thats the only device it recognizes.

When i connect my settopbox direct to tv with ARC sound to the soundbar now i have to choose everytime on the soundbar manually the optical/hdmi input. (after switching back from the shield.
Anyone have a solution ?
So if your cable box had supported CEC, you could have plugged it into HDMI 1 of your TV and it should have output sound through ARC. But since it doesnt, maybe you could try using the optical cable connection from the tv to the soundbar. I believe this soundbar looks for optical connection as the first source.

Another thing you could try:
You mentioned you see the shield listed if you click the special button as mentioned in the video. On the bottom left of the tv screen you should see 'shield simplink'. If you click on that bottom left corner it should show you 'soundbar'. Select 'soundbar' and now you should be able to control the soundbar functions with the smart remote such as changing soundbar HDMI input/function.

post #1185 of 1860 Old 11-03-2018, 07:57 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
my sk10y keeps auto power itself off at random times. I have the auto power turned off. Any other setting I might be missing? Frustrating that it just shuts off during the middle of a show from time to time.
post #1186 of 1860 Old 11-06-2018, 05:15 AM

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Haven’t experienced that problem in 11 months of use.
I would try a hard reboot of the soundbar, but
you’ll have to reset the settings to where you
like them as the restart will revert everythinG
back to the original settings.
P
post #1187 of 1860 Old 11-06-2018, 06:42 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I just had a long conversation over the weekend with apple support because I was not getting the full atmos experience from apple 4k, I am coming from a google chrome-cast ultra and the atmos experience from Vudu had been amazing , but I recently decided to buy an apple tv 4k because it included Netflix atmos content but today I was told that the apple tv 4 k is not compatible with the LG Sk10y soundbar, the center speaker is not picking up dialogue correctly so people are speaking to soft compared to the background when playing atmos content, I already have my center channel up to the max , hopefully they will release a firmware update to fix this issue.
post #1188 of 1860 Old 11-07-2018, 10:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Various points in the thread have spoken about the centre channel being improved since the latest update, but does this also apply to Atmos? As for me, big scenes that really work the SB seem to drown out the dialogue despite the adjustment of the centre channel via the settings.
post #1189 of 1860 Old 11-08-2018, 10:36 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Hi All,

Best,
John
To have DD+ Dolby Atmos through ARC, check if your HDMI ARC mode is in PCM mode instead of AUTO in your sound parameters of C8 for each of your source (Netflix local app, Apple TV/ 4K bluray HDMI source).
I had this issue and when I've changed my HDMI ARC from PCM to AUTO, it's solved the issue. If it can help
post #1190 of 1860 Old 11-08-2018, 07:22 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by feedingbrett View Post
Various points in the thread have spoken about the centre channel being improved since the latest update, but does this also apply to Atmos? As for me, big scenes that really work the SB seem to drown out the dialogue despite the adjustment of the centre channel via the settings.
As I mentioned in my previous post the soundbar is not working correctly with some streaming devices and voices are being drowned out, google chrome cast works great without audio problems using vudu app.
post #1191 of 1860 Old 11-09-2018, 12:05 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Newton View Post
As I mentioned in my previous post the soundbar is not working correctly with some streaming devices and voices are being drowned out, google chrome cast works great without audio problems using vudu app.
Do you also have this problem with Ultra HD discs?
post #1192 of 1860 Old 11-10-2018, 06:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I just set up the sk10y wirelessly to my lg e7p set. do I need to use an hdmi connection to get atmos or will the wireless connection work? how do I verify atmos is active? when I play netflix or youtube atmos titles I see dolbyvision on the tv screen but no dolby atmos.

thanks in advance
post #1193 of 1860 Old 11-10-2018, 06:40 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
two questions.

1. Is there a post/guide that outlines the optimal settings?
--- Bass + 1, Treb +2, and so on

2. Sammy un65mu8000, I have the optical cable connected the OneConnect hub, then to the soundbar(sb).
--- The Sammy remote is not changing the volume of the sb, what should I look at updating?
--- When I turn on the TV, the sb is not switching on. I tried changing Auto Power to On.

EDIT -
2. Connect an HDMI cable to the OneConnect HUB, then connect it to the ARC port of the SB.
--- TV remote now turns on the sb and adjusts the volume.

Last edited by ehaze; 11-11-2018 at 12:47 PM.
post #1194 of 1860 Old 11-10-2018, 11:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I partially answered my questions.
to get atmos you do need to use the arc from the set to the arc on the sk10y using an HDMI cable with ethernet

netflix atmos titles will show atmos on the soundbar display then revert back to arc

the youtube app seems to have atmos, but the soundbar never displays atmos

does anyone know for sure if the youtube app on the e7p outputs atmos?
post #1195 of 1860 Old 11-11-2018, 04:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked: 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by vega509 View Post
I partially answered my questions.
to get atmos you do need to use the arc from the set to the arc on the sk10y using an HDMI cable with ethernet

netflix atmos titles will show atmos on the soundbar display then revert back to arc

the youtube app seems to have atmos, but the soundbar never displays atmos

does anyone know for sure if the youtube app on the e7p outputs atmos?
. No I have g7p

Lg oled65G7P
Panasonic UB9000 . pioneer lx500 uhd blu ray players
atv4k 2nd gen cube, roku ultra 2019
Toshiba Xa2 HD-DVD
Samsung HW-Q90R ZA soundbar
post #1196 of 1860 Old 11-12-2018, 04:35 AM

I just bought the LG SK10Y soundbar and would not consider myself an audio tech expert, so would really appreciate help that you could offer me, since I am considering returning the soundbar, as it has not been performing as I think it should. Want to make sure it's not something I'm doing wrong before I return it.

I updated the software/firmware on the soundbar, now I have center channel control on it, which is great.

However, I just cannot tell if I'm getting 2.1 or 5.1 or atmos through the speaker.

I have the soundbar connected via ARC to the ARC HDMI port of my Sony KDL60R510A (not a 4K tv). I also have a Roku Ultra 4K player that is supposed to be atmos compatible. The settings on my Roku are Audio mode: Auto and HDMI: Auto detect.

Whenever I watch a movie through Vudu that is supposed to be Atmos compatible (such as Avengers: Infinity War, which I own the UHD copy, and on the info screen it lists UHD Features as 4K, *HDR, and Atmos although those 3 features to look dim compared to the rest of the white text), the SK10Y does not say Atmos when I press the info button, it only says "PCM". In fact, most non-Atmos movies also say "PCM", although I did watch Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring on Vudu and it did say "Dolby Audio" on the soundbar. While watching the Avengers, on the TV screen the VUDU interface does say HDX and not UHD, but I figure that's because I don't have a 4K tv.

Do I need to have a 4K TV in order to access the Atmos features? When it says "PCM" does that mean I'm only getting 2.1 stereo, or am I still getting 5.1?

Would really appreciate any help for a newbie!!!
post #1197 of 1860 Old 11-12-2018, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl7z View Post
I just bought the LG SK10Y soundbar and would not consider myself an audio tech expert, so would really appreciate help that you could offer me, since I am considering returning the soundbar, as it has not been performing as I think it should. Want to make sure it's not something I'm doing wrong before I return it.

I updated the software/firmware on the soundbar, now I have center channel control on it, which is great.

However, I just cannot tell if I'm getting 2.1 or 5.1 or atmos through the speaker.

I have the soundbar connected via ARC to the ARC HDMI port of my Sony KDL60R510A (not a 4K tv). I also have a Roku Ultra 4K player that is supposed to be atmos compatible. The settings on my Roku are Audio mode: Auto and HDMI: Auto detect.

Whenever I watch a movie through Vudu that is supposed to be Atmos compatible (such as Avengers: Infinity War, which I own the UHD copy, and on the info screen it lists UHD Features as 4K, *HDR, and Atmos although those 3 features to look dim compared to the rest of the white text), the SK10Y does not say Atmos when I press the info button, it only says "PCM". In fact, most non-Atmos movies also say "PCM", although I did watch Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring on Vudu and it did say "Dolby Audio" on the soundbar. While watching the Avengers, on the TV screen the VUDU interface does say HDX and not UHD, but I figure that's because I don't have a 4K tv.

Do I need to have a 4K TV in order to access the Atmos features? When it says "PCM" does that mean I'm only getting 2.1 stereo, or am I still getting 5.1?

Would really appreciate any help for a newbie!!!
Is your Roku Ultra 4k connected to the TV or soundbar?

55" Philips 901F OLED
Samsung HW-K960/XE
Nvidia Shield TV v2
Xbox One S
post #1198 of 1860 Old 11-12-2018, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_swe View Post
The Roku is connected to the TV and the signal goes back to the soundbar through ARC.
post #1199 of 1860 Old 11-12-2018, 10:30 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_swe View Post
The Roku is connected to the TV and the signal goes back to the soundbar through ARC.
Connect your Roku to the soundbar. Your TV may not have Dolby Atmos passthru
post #1200 of 1860 Old 11-13-2018, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Connect your Roku to your soundbar.

55" Philips 901F OLED
Samsung HW-K960/XE
Nvidia Shield TV v2
Xbox One S

Last edited by Mike_swe; 11-13-2018 at 01:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Tags
arc , hdr , lg sk10y , sky10y , soundbar , Vizio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page