Forum Jump: 
 197Likes

post #1201 of 1814 Old 11-14-2018, 01:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi all,

I have a problem with video drops when I connect my apple tv 4k to the soundbar using either hdmi 1 or 2, sounder is connected via hdmi arc to tv (LG OLED55C7V)
It shows a normal picture for a couple of seconds and then goes black, sound still works.

Connecting the apple tv directly to the tv works without any problems.

I have read a suggestion to use belkin hdmi [1] cable to overcome this problem, can anyone confirm that using this hdmi cable solved the problem?

[1] belkin-ultra-high-speed-4k-hdmi-cable-2m available from the apple store for example
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1202 of 1814 Old 11-14-2018, 04:31 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hi all,

First time poster, long time lurker. I will be purchasing the LG OLED C8 series within the next few months and was tossing up between the SK10Y and HW-N950 soundbars. What recommendations do you have for me? As an LG OLED fan, I am wanting a bar with Dolby Vision pass through but from all reports the HW-N950 does not support this feature. And while Samsung's flagship model is a beast and also features DTS-X, I have been made aware the SK10Y will sync better with LG's OLED as the 10 was specifically designed for the 2018 OLED range. This has me leaning towards the LG bar.
post #1203 of 1814 Old 11-14-2018, 04:37 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Both are pretty good as far as soundbars are
concerned taking into account any soundbar
will still fall short of a full blown wired surround system.
Having owned the SK 10Y for 11 months like
u I decided to go w LG and LG as it
paired perfectly w the C7 2017 model.
There are minor complaints about the system
but for me all in all it’s a great choice.
P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1204 of 1814 Old 11-18-2018, 01:59 PM

Dear all,

We have recently purchased the LG55C8 and are now interested in complementing it with a soundbar. As it stands we have two seemingly attractive offers available and some advice would be appreciated (our experience with soundbars is simply lacking, as is the opportuinity to listen to them). To create a context: Our room is modest in size, we are not die-hard movie fans and would appreciate being able to stream some music.

1. The LG SK10Y (hence asking the question here): On offer for 399 euro (cashback through LG). I don't intend to use the additional speakerset (limited space).

2. The Samsung MS650 (integrated subwoofer version): On offer for 269 euro.

Many a review is enthousiastic about the MS650 and there were some complaints regarding the SK10Y. However, given the now modest difference in prize, would the SK10Y offer a superior experience?

Thanks kindly!
post #1205 of 1814 Old 11-18-2018, 06:48 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Does anyone have the rear SPK8 speakers with SK10Y + Xbox one x? What settings do you use to get the rears to work? This "always Atmos on" doesn't seem to work on movies and TV but works only in the home screen sounds. And if I turn off Atmos put it on 7.1 settings some movies seem use the rear...
post #1206 of 1814 Old 11-19-2018, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Most of my sources are DTS-HD MA 5.1.Will I miss the lack of DTS-MA support or is the encoding sufficient?
Did they already fix the 5.1 issues with the rears connected? (The sb not acting as a 3.0 but 5.0).

Choice between this one and the Sony ZF9 seems Sophies choice, maybe I just have to wait another year for the 'perfect' 5.1 soundbar.
post #1207 of 1814 Old 11-20-2018, 03:31 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Anyone with the sk10y help setting up harmony to switch inputs it never lands on the correct input for activities i choose would love to fix this issue.
post #1208 of 1814 Old 11-20-2018, 08:13 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Recently purchased sk10y along with the spk-8s rear speakers. ks8000 arc hdmi to arc input of the soundbar, and sony 4kbluray player to soundbar. Atmos content works great, with all speakers sounding fine. However, with any non atmos 5.1 content, i cannot get the rear speakers to work. Even when the soundbar says dolby audio on the lcd, nothing comes out of the rear speakers. For example, I have tried 5.1 netflix content from my tv apps, from 4kbr player, from my ps4 pro hooked to tv, and none of them get any sound of my rear speakers, even though they all say dolby audio. I feel like I have tried all combination of setting pcm/bitstream, dolby, dts, etc on TV and ps4 settings, and still nothing.
post #1209 of 1814 Old 11-21-2018, 07:18 AM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryu4000 View Post
Anyone with the sk10y help setting up harmony to switch inputs it never lands on the correct input for activities i choose would love to fix this issue.
Yeah this irritates me to no end. I have the Same problem and to further make it more frustrating I also have an LG bluray player that likes to turn on when the remote cycles through the inputs on the sound bar. I have seen no options on the bluray player itself to not allow turn on with hdmi signal. You can turn it off on sound bar side but then atmos over arc does not work...sigh...
Riekopo likes this.
post #1210 of 1814 Old 11-21-2018, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Latimer View Post
my sk10y keeps auto power itself off at random times. I have the auto power turned off. Any other setting I might be missing? Frustrating that it just shuts off during the middle of a show from time to time.

Hey, I also had this problem while watching stuff directly on the TV. But it was not the SK10Y. It was actually my NVidia shield connected to the bar that had an auto shutdown setting.
post #1211 of 1814 Old 11-21-2018, 08:12 AM

I have 2 issues with the SK10Y.

While watching stuff on my LG TV, I have a lot of audio drops (0.5 sec every 30 sec for instance). If i restart the bar it is ok. This problem is really annoying.

Other issue, when there is an atmos content that is sent through ARC, the signal keeps flickering like if the bar receives atmos, then normal sound, then atmos again (but every 0.2 sec ...). If I change the audio source to the TV speakers, disable atmos on the LGSK6500, reenable it, and change the source to the bar, it works again. It really looks like an issue with the ARC. I have no problem with atmos using Nvidia Shield The trick makes it work for some times and it comes back randomly. I didn't have this problem at start, maybe me a firmeware update on the TV or on the bar brought the issue.
post #1212 of 1814 Old 11-21-2018, 02:32 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by pflloyd View Post
Hi all,

I have a problem with video drops when I connect my apple tv 4k to the soundbar using either hdmi 1 or 2, sounder is connected via hdmi arc to tv (LG OLED55C7V)
It shows a normal picture for a couple of seconds and then goes black, sound still works.

Connecting the apple tv directly to the tv works without any problems.

I have read a suggestion to use belkin hdmi [1] cable to overcome this problem, can anyone confirm that using this hdmi cable solved the problem?

[1] belkin-ultra-high-speed-4k-hdmi-cable-2m available from the apple store for example
I am suffering from the same issue. Just mentioned it in the Vizio PQ65-F1 thread. I'm using Monoprice's high speed certified premium cables for both connections.
post #1213 of 1814 Old 11-21-2018, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keefypants View Post
Recently purchased sk10y along with the spk-8s rear speakers. ks8000 arc hdmi to arc input of the soundbar, and sony 4kbluray player to soundbar. Atmos content works great, with all speakers sounding fine. However, with any non atmos 5.1 content, i cannot get the rear speakers to work. Even when the soundbar says dolby audio on the lcd, nothing comes out of the rear speakers. For example, I have tried 5.1 netflix content from my tv apps, from 4kbr player, from my ps4 pro hooked to tv, and none of them get any sound of my rear speakers, even though they all say dolby audio. I feel like I have tried all combination of setting pcm/bitstream, dolby, dts, etc on TV and ps4 settings, and still nothing.
Hello,

Can anyone confirm that this can be solved? I'm thinking about to buy the SK10Y or SK9 but worried about this important issue...

Thanks in advance!
post #1214 of 1814 Old 11-23-2018, 07:03 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by David13_13 View Post
Quote:
Hello,

Can anyone confirm that this can be solved? I'm thinking about to buy the SK10Y or SK9 but worried about this important issue...

Thanks in advance!
With 5.1 content, you have to turn surround mode on to get the rear channels to work in standard mode. Refer to page 18-19 of the manual. Only downside with surround on is the upfiring speakers will also be rear channels, but I don't find it that distracting.

Only 7.1 content will use the rears with surround mode off.
post #1215 of 1814 Old 11-24-2018, 12:23 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
The rear SPK-8S surrounds will only be used for Dolby Atmos audio, unless you set the SK10Y to SURROUND ON, which will add fake surround to the rear speakers. See pages 18 and 19 in the SK10Y owner's manual for a handy reference for what speakers do what, for what mode and surround settings. Essentially, with surround off 5.1 only comes from the sound bar as that contains all the necessary speakers. Complete 7.1.2 uses the rears as intended, SURROUND feature fakes it and throws audio to the rear but not as the creator intended. I had odd volume level issues with surround on (like extremely loud commercials.)
post #1216 of 1814 Old 11-26-2018, 05:55 PM

Hi, i just bought the sk10y and the rear speakers are on their way. The soundbar is connected to a samsung ks8000 and the LG UBK90 bluray player ,i did the last firmware update on the soundbar but when i play atmos content , 4k movie with atmos, the sound is sometime very loud and sometime its like not loud enough... and on the app everything is off someone has the same probleme? I was thinking of pluggin everything in optical or not just watch atmos content but buying this soundbar was to listen to atmos...
post #1217 of 1814 Old 11-27-2018, 04:23 PM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomsapple View Post
I am suffering from the same issue. Just mentioned it in the Vizio PQ65-F1 thread. I'm using Monoprice's high speed certified premium cables for both connections.
I had the same setup u had for the (PQ65-F1 and sk10Y) Same issue,seemed to be a bad hdmi board on the TV. Didn't want to mess with and returned the TV. When I had the PQ and Had Roku connect to the sk10y, the roku didn't do 60 Hz Only 30. When connected to the P. It worked just fine.

Long story the sk10y also had an issue not working well with the APTV4K. LG support seems to know and I was issue a rma for a repair the main board.
The box took 3 weeks to arrive, I talk to the folks i bought the bar and I am in process to return it for a full refund.
post #1218 of 1814 Old 11-28-2018, 06:12 PM

Hi All, I've had the SK10Y and SPK8-S since September 2018 and for the most part it's been great. I purchased after reading plenty of reviews and posts from this site. However, this week two issues have become present: 1) the rear speakers simply won't connect - all I can get is the blinking light on the wireless receiver. I've tried re-pairing them and doing the manual pairing process with no luck. 2) now that the rear speakers are unplugged, when we watch TV through an Xbox or Netflix through a Chromecast, the audio drops for a second on the soundbar intermittently. If you have any ideas, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
post #1219 of 1814 Old 11-29-2018, 01:52 PM

I am having input issues with my Sk10y. I have my Comcast box as hdmi2 going into bar, and Xbox going as hdmi1 into bar. Then Arc from bar to LGE8 TV. Problem one is that when I turn tv and bar off, the bar always defaults to “arc” and I have to change it back to hdmi2 to watch cable tv. Problem two is when I watch Netflix I have to change the bar to arc for volume and vise versa when I leave Netflix I have to change back to hdmi2. Is there a better way to configure so I don’t have to keep switching back and forth? My setup seems simple. Also can’t get lg smart remote to change soundbar inputs. Help!
post #1220 of 1814 Old 11-29-2018, 08:41 PM

The subwoofer that came with the SK10Y pairs with the soundbar just fine, but the LG wifi speaker app can't find the soundbar and the SPK8-S wireless receiver can't find the soundbar either. Is my SK10Y Bluetooth not functioning? And if so, what technology does the subwoofer use to connect to the soundbar because it works? Thank you.
post #1221 of 1814 Old 12-05-2018, 04:58 PM

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 40
If I’m
Not mistaken, the components pair w wi fi
had no issues doing so here.
Paul
dsuperbatman likes this.
post #1222 of 1814 Old 12-06-2018, 08:47 AM

Liked: 10
I just got my SK10Y delivered, that I go during BF, and it sounds amazing. The atmos effect is so convincing that even my dog was barking all through Justice League as he thought somebody was upstairs.

The only thing I noticed, as some other posters mentioned, during 4K Blu Ray atmos movies the explosions sound a bit subdued. They don’t sound bad and everything is clear but I would expect the fighting scenes to rock the house and they just seem a little low. Sometimes the music seems to come to the forefront and drown out the big explosions a bit. Has anybody been able to play with the settings to improve that?
post #1223 of 1814 Old 12-06-2018, 01:26 PM

Liked: 1
Red face Very good Soundbar with few setbacks

Here's what i found so far as an amateur.

I have SK 10Y with rear speakers (SPK8-S). I sit 8-10 feet away from my soundbar and have 9-11 feet ceilings. I arranged my rear speakers 3 feet back from my sitting position. Placed sub woofer next to soundbar with Apple TV 4K and have 48" samsung 4K TV.

After going through some settings with multiple movies with Atmos and regular 5.1 HD/4K movies here's what i found and worked best for me.

similar settings were also mentioned by paul douglas in previous replies.

Standard mode picks up low sounds better than any other mode (as others mentioned in this thread)

For movies:
sound mode: standard
Surround: On (hold Auto Vol button on your remote for 4-5 seconds to activate the setting and push again to switch on/off surround)
Sub woofer: 0-1
Center: +5 (audio is low in Atmos, you can crank it up to 6)
Rear: +3-4
Overhead: +3-4
Bass: +1-2

News:
If you are watching news (CBS, CNN, Reuters etc), generally these are not multi channel. I prefer to switch the surround setting off for news)

Music:
I liked bass blast and ASC modes for music and Music mode didn't impress me much.

Sports:
If your streaming app or box provides multichannel audio, use standard mode with surround on. Normally live events are not multi channeled so i use standard mode with surround off and center speaker +3-4 (commentary voice gets loud sometimes )

If you are watching most movies thru netflix, you need a Ultra HD subscription to activate Dolby Atmos. You need a very good HDMI cable to pass high quality audio (i am using Atevon High Speed 18gbps 4K HDR HDMI cable bought in amazon)

Here are some movies and TV series with Dolby Atmos in Netflix.
Bule Planet II
LOST in Space
Guardians of Galaxy Vol 2
Luke Cage
Dare Devil
Punisher (best i have heard in this list, especially when he uses hammer in the construction building. You can literally feel the rubble)
Altered carbon (also good atmos)
Death Note
Haunting.. etc
for more type Dolby Atmos in search bar. you will find more titles

I really liked the setup and it does not compare to individual speakers system (7.1) my friend has in his basement but impresses an ordinary user like me.

This review is my personal opinion only, some of the professionals in this group probably have a better advice and settings than i do.

Anyway... Have fun with your LG SK10Y Good luck.

-S
HotLap likes this.
post #1224 of 1814 Old 12-06-2018, 01:32 PM

Exclamation LG SK10Y/Vizio/Xbox HDR/4K/ARC Audio Issue

To begin, this is my A/V setup:

Vizio P65-C16
LG SK10Y soundbar
Xbox One X
PS4 Pro

The Xbox One X is plugged into the SK10Y HDMI 1 in port
The PS4 Pro is plugged into the SK10Y HDMI 2 in port

The Vizio is plugged from HDMI 2 (non ARC port) into the HDMI OUT/ARC port

Originally, I wanted to have my Television as the hub for my consoles, connecting to the TV and relying on the HDMI OUT/ARC port only.

What I ran into is whenever I did that, the Soundbar was unable to appropriately passthrough the Video/Audio signal simultaenously at 4K HDR and I'd lose all HDR functionality from my XBox One X. As a result, I had to plug my consoles direct into the soundbar and use the non ARC port on my television to ensure I could retain video fidelity.

Has anyone else had an issue where the soundbar has been unable to handle the simultaenous broadcast of a 4K/HDR/ARC Audio signal all through just the HDMI OUT/ARC port?

My fix works just fine, it's just a bit annoying as I'd rather leverage the more efficient single port for all of my audio.

Thanks for any insight!
post #1225 of 1814 Old 12-07-2018, 07:35 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Lightbulb SK10Y, LG OLED C8 65 Inch peripheral connections questions?

Similar proper hook-up questions to above:

SK10Y
LG C8 OLED 65 Inch
Comcast Xfinity Box
Panasonic 4K Blu-Ray Player

I just purchased a 65 inch LG C8 OLED as well as the SK10Y soundbar and I have connected the TV to the soundbar via that HDMI ARC connection.

Now, I also have a Comcast XFINITY box, that is connected to HDMI 1 on the TV, should I move it to an HDMI input on Soundbar? How about a Panasonic 4K Blu-ray Player. Should that be connected to the TV or the Soundbar?

I currently I am using the Comcast Xfinity remote to control the TV and the separate SK10Y remote to control the Soundbar. I don't know of a way to have the Xfinity remote control the Soundbar as well as the TV.

Any advice on the proper configuration for these items would be greatly appreciated.

RB

Last edited by rbouch8828; 12-07-2018 at 08:10 AM.
post #1226 of 1814 Old 12-09-2018, 10:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 55
is anyone aware of wireless speakers beside the spk8's that will work with this soundbar? I've had a set on back order for over 2 months here in Canada, and it does not look like they will be available anytime in the next few months.
post #1227 of 1814 Old 12-09-2018, 02:01 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Anyone know what size screw to use for the SPK8-S add on speakers for this, picked them up but they didn't come with wallmount screws.

I ordered these Wallmounts but the screw to the speaker it came with is to large. - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077P8YX6S

post #1228 of 1814 Old 12-10-2018, 11:42 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howie411 View Post
Anyone know what size screw to use for the SPK8-S add on speakers for this, picked them up but they didn't come with wallmount screws.

I ordered these Wallmounts but the screw to the speaker it came with is to large. - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077P8YX6S

Reviews on Amazon/Best Buy state M4 thread bolt size but I cannot personally attest to that. I would like to know as well as I too plan on mounting my rear speakers.
post #1229 of 1814 Old 12-17-2018, 01:00 AM

I am a new owner of this bar, I also have SPK8 kit.

What is the correct position of the rear speakers? I will place them about 8 feet away from behind the chair

How high do I put them,at the height of the head or elevated?

Tks in advance
post #1230 of 1814 Old 12-19-2018, 12:49 AM

Hi. Can anyone please advise? When watching movie with atmos or 7.1 should i turn surround off for spk8 rears to work properly or will all sleakwrs work properly if set to on? The instructions are confusing.
On the speaker it appears to only say surround on or off so im guessing should be on. But the app says surround (always listen to the sound from the rear speaker or original sound (listen to the surround from its original source channel) so this would indicate i should have surround off?
So if i have surround on and listen to 7.1 or atmos will that still use the speakers as the original source channel?

On a side note when im watching movie with 5.1 sound the sounds from the rear spk8 sound the same wether the sound bar has surround on or off? Has there been an update where the speakers now work for 5.1 automatically using original source channels, and do you only need the surround on to fake non 5.1 sound?

Many thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Tags
arc , hdr , lg sk10y , sky10y , soundbar , Vizio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page