196Likes

post #1441 of 1658 Old 04-19-2019, 02:04 AM
KM7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi all!

I have a question about my new SK10Y. My problem is the soundbar automatically is stuck in optical mode when starting it and my LGC8. What I need to do to force it into ARC-mode is to remove the HDMI from my cable box to my TV. This is quite annoying as I always have to do this procedure when starting my tv and soundbar. Any ideas as to why? I have a fast ethernet hdmi from the SK10 to the TV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1442 of 1658 Old 04-19-2019, 06:32 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by KM7 View Post
Hi all!

I have a question about my new SK10Y. My problem is the soundbar automatically is stuck in optical mode when starting it and my LGC8. What I need to do to force it into ARC-mode is to remove the HDMI from my cable box to my TV. This is quite annoying as I always have to do this procedure when starting my tv and soundbar. Any ideas as to why? I have a fast ethernet hdmi from the SK10 to the TV.
Can’t say I’ve experienced that problem, my setup is
HDMI from sat box to TV then TV ARC to
Soundbar. When the bar boots up it immediately displays
Optical, then quickly switches or changes to
display ARC.
Many silly or annoying issues are sometimes
rectified by unplugging the soundbar for 20
seconds or so before plugging back in,
worth a shot
P
post #1443 of 1658 Old 04-19-2019, 08:38 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skratchy_Seal View Post
I have an LG OLED, so I can't check what the actual frame rate for the input signal is on the TV. Hopefully, someone else can chime in and help you with that.
The Apple TV will list the fps in Settings > General > Video and Audio. Do you have the Apple TV connected to the SK10Y and the SK10Y to the TV?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1444 of 1658 Old 04-19-2019, 06:11 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwestman1385 View Post
Question .. i have the Samsung Q9FN TV that is neither dolby vision nor dolby atmos support... should i be able to run a new amazon firestick/TV through the soundbar and then an hdmi cable from the soundbar to the tv to at least get dolby atmos???? or how would i go abouts doing this ? thanks so much for your time folks!
Yes, if your Firestick supports Atmos, then I think it would work the way you describe.
post #1445 of 1658 Old 04-19-2019, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KM7 View Post
Hi all!

Sometimes, mine is in Optical rather than ARC, so I cycle through the functions back to OPT/HDMI ARC, and it will go back to ARC for me.
post #1446 of 1658 Old 04-19-2019, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patters000 View Post
The Apple TV will list the fps in Settings > General > Video and Audio. Do you have the Apple TV connected to the SK10Y and the SK10Y to the TV?
Yes, I have it connected the way you describe. Under those options, the default is Dolby Vision 60 Hz. All supported and unsupported formats work for me.

However, when I play content, everything handshakes again before the movie plays, so I was thinking it was possible that it could possibly switch down to 24 Hz or 30 Hz after that additional handshake. Is this what's happening with you?
post #1447 of 1658 Old 04-20-2019, 03:42 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Thank you for answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandre Bardelot View Post
Hey, I also had this problem while watching stuff directly on the TV. But it was not the SK10Y. It was actually my NVidia shield connected to the bar that had an auto shutdown setting.
Thank you for your answer. I was having the same issue and that the soundbar was defective and was expecting to have to return it. All I needed to do was disable my auto sleep mode on my Nvidia Shield.
post #1448 of 1658 Old 04-20-2019, 03:57 AM

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Just realized the iOS app finally has the center speaker control and that there was a firmware update. Wonder what it does.
post #1449 of 1658 Old 04-20-2019, 09:40 AM

Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by suitechicguy View Post
Just realized the iOS app finally has the center speaker control and that there was a firmware update. Wonder what it does.
i send email to US and UK LG support...both did not help.
post #1450 of 1658 Old 04-20-2019, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Yes, I have it connected the way you describe. Under those options, the default is Dolby Vision 60 Hz. All supported and unsupported formats work for me.

However, when I play content, everything handshakes again before the movie plays, so I was thinking it was possible that it could possibly switch down to 24 Hz or 30 Hz after that additional handshake. Is this what's happening with you?
You likely have "Match Content Format" FPS and Color Depth enabled on the Apple TV... If I do that, things certainly work, but even when scrolling through the app icon menus on the Apple TV home screen I see strange drop-outs (static line blips, black screens, static noise) with [email protected] Do you have a flawless signal when just browsing around menus/iTunes?

Thanks again!
post #1451 of 1658 Old 04-20-2019, 07:25 PM

Quote:
You likely have "Match Content Format" FPS and Color Depth enabled on the Apple TV... If I do that, things certainly work, but even when scrolling through the app icon menus on the Apple TV home screen I see strange drop-outs (static line blips, black screens, static noise) with [email protected] Do you have a flawless signal when just browsing around menus/iTunes?

Thanks again!
Hi! I did turn on FPS matching this week while I was going through the settings, but they were turned off previously.

I do get black or static screens every once in a while (maybe once every week or less frequently), but I don't know if I ever saw that just going through the home screen or using native apps. I WANT to say it's only when I use non-native apps, but I honestly can't say for sure. When I do get those, I either have to cycle through my "F" key on the soundbar remote, or cycle power to the ATV if it doesn't work. I never troubleshot to see if it was soundbar related, because it doesn't happen frequently enough for me to check. I'll try to pay more attention next time it happens. Now that I think about it, I haven't noticed these issues since my last update to v12.2 on the ATV.

I have the ATV on HDMI2 on the soundbar, and then it outputs to the ARC port on the TV. My TV is an LG E7.
post #1452 of 1658 Old 04-21-2019, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Hi! I did turn on FPS matching this week while I was going through the settings, but they were turned off previously.

I do get black or static screens every once in a while (maybe once every week or less frequently), but I don't know if I ever saw that just going through the home screen or using native apps. I WANT to say it's only when I use non-native apps, but I honestly can't say for sure. When I do get those, I either have to cycle through my "F" key on the soundbar remote, or cycle power to the ATV if it doesn't work. I never troubleshot to see if it was soundbar related, because it doesn't happen frequently enough for me to check. I'll try to pay more attention next time it happens. Now that I think about it, I haven't noticed these issues since my last update to v12.2 on the ATV.

I have the ATV on HDMI2 on the soundbar, and then it outputs to the ARC port on the TV. My TV is an LG E7.
Got it. So, your experience (despite different TV's - mine's a TCL R6) is consistent with previous posters on this thread. The bar kinda-but-not-really will pass through Dolby Vision @ 60fps. I'll likely be getting a HDFury HDMI "splitter" to alleviate this - so that the video goes directly from the ATV to the TV, and will report back to this thread how it does.
post #1453 of 1658 Old 04-21-2019, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Got it. So, your experience (despite different TV's - mine's a TCL R6) is consistent with previous posters on this thread. The bar kinda-but-not-really will pass through Dolby Vision @ 60fps. I'll likely be getting a HDFury HDMI "splitter" to alleviate this - so that the video goes directly from the ATV to the TV, and will report back to this thread how it does.
It's possible the issue might not even be the soundbar. I see tons of complaints online about the ATV 4K doing this with different TVs. I don't think anyone's ever figured it out, and from some of what I've read, Apple and the TV manufacturers are pointing fingers at each other.

I do look forward to hearing how the the HDFury works out for you. I hope it works out.
post #1454 of 1658 Old 04-23-2019, 10:26 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Hi, I just got my first 4K TV and sound bar: an LG C8 and SK10Y.

I am curious about community opinions on connecting devices to the sound bar vs. the TV. There seems to be a mixed bag.

I've tried my Apple TV 4K box connected to both the SK10 and the C8 with the TV and bar married via HDMI ARC. It seems like I don't lose any picture quality by connecting to the sound bar. However, sound quality seems to lose something when connecting the Apple box to the TV and utilizing the sound bar via HDMI ARC.

Additionally, I have an XBox that has been connected to the TV. I fear losing input lag by connecting it directly to the sound bar. However, the straight TV connection has me preferring the TV speakers for video games.

Been fiddling a ton, but want to get the thoughts from those of you who are much more in tune.
post #1455 of 1658 Old 04-23-2019, 10:40 AM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alon Maimon View Post
i send email to US and UK LG support...both did not help.
Well the center channel control was updated on the android app a while ago .. before there was no way to modify center channel just wasnt there.. and in movies with large sounds like explosions you could not make out what people where saying before the center channel control..
post #1456 of 1658 Old 04-23-2019, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoul78 View Post
Hi, I just got my first 4K TV and sound bar: an LG C8 and SK10Y.

I am curious about community opinions on connecting devices to the sound bar vs. the TV. There seems to be a mixed bag.

I've tried my Apple TV 4K box connected to both the SK10 and the C8 with the TV and bar married via HDMI ARC. It seems like I don't lose any picture quality by connecting to the sound bar. However, sound quality seems to lose something when connecting the Apple box to the TV and utilizing the sound bar via HDMI ARC.

Additionally, I have an XBox that has been connected to the TV. I fear losing input lag by connecting it directly to the sound bar. However, the straight TV connection has me preferring the TV speakers for video games.

Been fiddling a ton, but want to get the thoughts from those of you who are much more in tune.
well u do want to connect the xbox directly to hdmi on sound bar if your going to get Atmos..
post #1457 of 1658 Old 04-23-2019, 05:32 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I have had my Skl10y for awhile but I am not sure if the subwoofer is working properly. It is paired with the soundbar but I never really seem to ever hear anything coming out of it. The TV is connected via ARC. I have played with the subwoofer settings but with no luck. I am looking for a good movie I could play that would put out a significant amount of bass through the subwoofer. Let’s me know what you think would be a good option and I am open to any other thoughts or ideas.
post #1458 of 1658 Old 04-23-2019, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richg799 View Post
I have had my Skl10y for awhile but I am not sure if the subwoofer is working properly. It is paired with the soundbar but I never really seem to ever hear anything coming out of it. The TV is connected via ARC. I have played with the subwoofer settings but with no luck. I am looking for a good movie I could play that would put out a significant amount of bass through the subwoofer. Let’s me know what you think would be a good option and I am open to any other thoughts or ideas.
Sub woofer max volume is garbage.. Im hoping they fix it.. Just when you have something playing that has bass maybe a video on youtube I suggest Phat Bass.. and but your hand in front of it and see if u feel something.. if your thinking ur going to get fantastic quality thumping bass out of it I repeat its garbage just not loud enough on max settings.. I actually have mine sound on the sound bar set to "bass blast" and at 6 max because it might just help.. but does it really I ask myself..
post #1459 of 1658 Old 04-24-2019, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlgomez View Post
well u do want to connect the xbox directly to hdmi on sound bar if your going to get Atmos..
Problem is, I haven't been able to get the XBox to come up when plugged into the sound bar on input 2. I have an Apple 4K TV in input 1 and HDMI Arc used in the arc spot.

I might just stick with the XBox in the TV and the Apple 4K TV in the sound bar. Seems like the best of both worlds because I'd rather use the TV speakers than have more input lag with the XBox.
post #1460 of 1658 Old 04-24-2019, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Problem is, I haven't been able to get the XBox to come up when plugged into the sound bar on input 2. I have an Apple 4K TV in input 1 and HDMI Arc used in the arc spot.

I might just stick with the XBox in the TV and the Apple 4K TV in the sound bar. Seems like the best of both worlds because I'd rather use the TV speakers than have more input lag with the XBox.
you leave the arc on the tv which on lg is input 2 connected to arc on the sound bar.. and connect the xbox to either hdmi 1 or 2.. switch the the tv to input 2 which is arc and the sound bar to the correct hdmi where you have the xbox connected..
post #1461 of 1658 Old 04-24-2019, 03:38 PM

Quote:
you leave the arc on the tv which on lg is input 2 connected to arc on the sound bar.. and connect the xbox to either hdmi 1 or 2.. switch the the tv to input 2 which is arc and the sound bar to the correct hdmi where you have the xbox connected..
Figured out my issue. I needed to use the sound bar remote and press the big "F" button to change inputs. Atmos comes in fine on the sound bar. More importantly, the audio is now in sync through the sound bar.

However, noticed some image hiccups with fast-moving content. That has me wondering if game mode/input lag is lost by going through the sound bar.

Going to read up, play some more and enjoy it to see which I prefer.
post #1462 of 1658 Old 04-24-2019, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Figured out my issue. I needed to use the sound bar remote and press the big "F" button to change inputs. Atmos comes in fine on the sound bar. More importantly, the audio is now in sync through the sound bar.

However, noticed some image hiccups with fast-moving content. That has me wondering if game mode/input lag is lost by going through the sound bar.

Going to read up, play some more and enjoy it to see which I prefer.
Sounds good but remember you will only get Atmos through the HDMI ports on the bar and if your playing something through the TV from like netflix and streaming .. That I know of it will not work in ARC through others devices connected but I may be wrong..
post #1463 of 1658 Old 04-24-2019, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Sounds good but remember you will only get Atmos through the HDMI ports on the bar and if your playing something through the TV from like netflix and streaming .. That I know of it will not work in ARC through others devices connected but I may be wrong..
Yeah I don't use the XBox for anything other than gaming. Honestly, I like the sound on the TV. Especially for games. The sound bar definitely rocks on movies. We'll see. I'm a casual gamer, don't like fighting games or shooters that much, so any lag might not bother me.
post #1464 of 1658 Old 04-24-2019, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Yeah I don't use the XBox for anything other than gaming. Honestly, I like the sound on the TV. Especially for games. The sound bar definitely rocks on movies. We'll see. I'm a casual gamer, don't like fighting games or shooters that much, so any lag might not bother me.
Well if you dont want to hear the game or movie in atmos it really doesnt matter how u connect it.. but if you do remember you have to modify the settings on the xbox to atmos to get atmos..
post #1465 of 1658 Old 04-24-2019, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Well if you dont want to hear the game or movie in atmos it really doesnt matter how u connect it.. but if you do remember you have to modify the settings on the xbox to atmos to get atmos..
Yes. I downloaded the Dolby app this morning and it definitely made a difference. Even on the TV speakers and while I was still sending sound to the sound bar via ARC, it made a difference. The echo of a gun shot, wild life in the background. I heard it all before, but with a distinct clarity!
post #1466 of 1658 Old 04-25-2019, 08:41 AM
KM7

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul douglas View Post
Can’t say I’ve experienced that problem, my setup is
HDMI from sat box to TV then TV ARC to
Soundbar. When the bar boots up it immediately displays
Optical, then quickly switches or changes to
display ARC.
Many silly or annoying issues are sometimes
rectified by unplugging the soundbar for 20
seconds or so before plugging back in,
worth a shot
P
Hi Paul and thanks for the answer!

It's like that for me as well. I have the hdmi from the cable box but it's stuck in optical until I physically unplug the cable box hdmi, then it goes to ARC. When unplugging you mean the ARC or the main electricity cord?

Quote:
Sometimes, mine is in Optical rather than ARC, so I cycle through the functions back to OPT/HDMI ARC, and it will go back to ARC for me.
Thanks for the answer!

It won't do that for me, it always goes back to optical, can't really understand why those modes are bunched into one...
post #1467 of 1658 Old 04-28-2019, 04:14 PM

Hello,

I am very interested in the LG SK10Y and may also get the SPK8-S rear speakers. I have a question regarding the "Surround sound" setting. If you are watching an HD broadcast TV show through your cable box, am I correct in assuming that Dolby Digital 5.1 is the typical audio format? In which case, the SK10Y would only output to the 5 speakers on the bar and the 2 upfiring and 2 rear would be silent. If the "surround sound" setting is enabled, what channels get sent to the upfiring and rear speakers? - Is it a smart algorithm that takes some of the surround channels and sends it to those speakers, or will I start hearing commentary from the center channel, etc in the rear speakers? Does the surround setting impact the 5 main speakers in any way? I just want to make sure that I can still enjoy the design of the 5.1 DD broadcast without the 7.1.2 speakers becoming only stereo all around when that surround setting is enabled.

Thanks so much for your help with understanding this.
post #1468 of 1658 Old 04-28-2019, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpzsports View Post
Hello,

I am very interested in the LG SK10Y and may also get the SPK8-S rear speakers. I have a question regarding the "Surround sound" setting. If you are watching an HD broadcast TV show through your cable box, am I correct in assuming that Dolby Digital 5.1 is the typical audio format? In which case, the SK10Y would only output to the 5 speakers on the bar and the 2 upfiring and 2 rear would be silent. If the "surround sound" setting is enabled, what channels get sent to the upfiring and rear speakers? - Is it a smart algorithm that takes some of the surround channels and sends it to those speakers, or will I start hearing commentary from the center channel, etc in the rear speakers? Does the surround setting impact the 5 main speakers in any way? I just want to make sure that I can still enjoy the design of the 5.1 DD broadcast without the 7.1.2 speakers becoming only stereo all around when that surround setting is enabled.

Thanks so much for your help with understanding this.
Well I never bought the sound bar without the intention of using it without the rear speakers I got them about a week after the soundbar and installed them on my rear right and left.. So I cant tell u what happens and how it sounds for 5.1 DD without the rears but I assume that its not comparable to having the actual rears.. Anyway I watch primarily broadcast TV abc cbs nbc on my tivo bolt ota which is 4k but your only going to get a 1080I max on regular broadcast and 4k on some streaming apps but the sound is max dolby digital which would then come out dolby digital 5.1 surround I dont think it would come out 7.1 ever but havent really looked into it.. But I can tell you that when Im listening to something with sound effects your hear the rears speakers where you where normally hear right and left rear surround.. Not really sure what happens with the up firing speakers but the end result is just like a regular 5.1 home system.. Now the only problem I have and I think everyone has the same issue and they can probably fix it in a firmware upgrade like they did with the center channel problem is that the sub is just to low even at max and even when you change it to bass blast setting.. Would like to see the limits of the bass increased.. hope that answers your question.. But if you have not purchased it yet I suggest you wait for the new model coming out soon that will also have the ability to do DTS X which this one doesnt and they might not fix with a firmware update just to have a reason for people to buy the new one.. Or even If you dont care about DTS X wait anyway because the price of this model will surely fall greatly when the new one comes out..hope that helps
post #1469 of 1658 Old 04-28-2019, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Well I never bought the sound bar without the intention of using it without the rear speakers I got them about a week after the soundbar and installed them on my rear right and left.. So I cant tell u what happens and how it sounds for 5.1 DD without the rears but I assume that its not comparable to having the actual rears.. Anyway I watch primarily broadcast TV abc cbs nbc on my tivo bolt ota which is 4k but your only going to get a 1080I max on regular broadcast and 4k on some streaming apps but the sound is max dolby digital which would then come out dolby digital 5.1 surround I dont think it would come out 7.1 ever but havent really looked into it.. But I can tell you that when Im listening to something with sound effects your hear the rears speakers where you where normally hear right and left rear surround.. Not really sure what happens with the up firing speakers but the end result is just like a regular 5.1 home system.. Now the only problem I have and I think everyone has the same issue and they can probably fix it in a firmware upgrade like they did with the center channel problem is that the sub is just to low even at max and even when you change it to bass blast setting.. Would like to see the limits of the bass increased.. hope that answers your question.. But if you have not purchased it yet I suggest you wait for the new model coming out soon that will also have the ability to do DTS X which this one doesnt and they might not fix with a firmware update just to have a reason for people to buy the new one.. Or even If you dont care about DTS X wait anyway because the price of this model will surely fall greatly when the new one comes out..hope that helps
Thanks so much, I really appreciate the insight and quick reply. So do you keep the "surround sound" setting always on? It seems like it primarily makes the rears sound like the surround speakers so that would be great.

Regarding the price, I am definitely waiting to try to get it for $400-450 like previous sales. I don't think I need the DTS X feature. I appreciate the info!

Is it possible to get 4k TV broadcasts with any OTA antenna? Do many channels actually support 4k?
post #1470 of 1658 Old 04-28-2019, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpzsports View Post
Thanks so much, I really appreciate the insight and quick reply. So do you keep the "surround sound" setting always on? It seems like it primarily makes the rears sound like the surround speakers so that would be great.

Regarding the price, I am definitely waiting to try to get it for $400-450 like previous sales. I don't think I need the DTS X feature. I appreciate the info!

Is it possible to get 4k TV broadcasts with any OTA antenna? Do many channels actually support 4k?
Yes just like regular surround.. I always keep surround on if it has it I hear the rear speakers and most do.. OTA as it is right now does not transmit in 4k i only get 4k on streaming apps with the tivo bolt ota.. BUT towards the end of the year there seems to be a change coming on OTA which will then broadcast in 4k i think its called OTA 2.0 or something like that which would need an adapter for TV's not having the ability to get 4k through OTA which as of today non do that I know of..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Tags
arc , hdr , lg sk10y , sky10y , soundbar , Vizio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page