196Likes

post #1561 of 1655 Old 06-02-2019, 05:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpyo012 View Post
Jlgomez, I do have the rear speaker kit. Eq settings are: bass -1, subwoofer -3, treble 0, center +6. All post processing = off (DRC, AutoVol, etc)

PCM/2-Channel content: Standard with Surround=Off.

5.1 Content: two scenarios depending on quality but same eq as above in addition to OVC -3 to -6, rear -3.
1) Standard with Surround=On
2) Movie (doesn't matter if surround is on/off)

Atmos: adjust OVC accordingly to films use of overhead channels; OVC anywhere from 0 to +6. I leave rear -3 because they are literally next to my head.

I normally don't adjust Surround because I utilize the Harmony universal remote and can't figure out how to program it to toggle the Surround setting. So I end up using Movie as an alternative.

For YoutubeTV viewing, I will switch between Standard and Movie. Mainly switch to Movie when the center channel isn't clear, even with Center=6.
Thanks.. Man and I find the subwoofer to be lacking even on bass blast
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1562 of 1655 Old 06-02-2019, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Per the manual on page 18-19 with rear speaker kit and Surround=Off, 5.1 content will NEVER use the rear speakers in Standard. They only work properly with 7.1 and Atmos when Surround=Off. However, I have never tested 7.1 because I don't have a 7.1 source.

suitechicguy you should also hear the audience laughing from the overhead channels. Or even better, if you have Netflix search for "test pattern" and play the surround channel test. When it gets to LR and RR, you will hear the audible tone from rear speakers AND overhead channels with Surround=On.
The test pattern helped alot in answering questions I wasnt aware I needed an answer to.. It seems with the TV settings set arc but PCM instead of auto your overhead channels dont work.. Also settings for ARC with optical is different from ARC with HDMI.. Havent figured out exactly what yet but it is different..
post #1563 of 1655 Old 06-02-2019, 07:37 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks.. Man and I find the subwoofer to be lacking even on bass blast
You're welcome. I had to play around with the subwoofer placement...was lacking when placed behind my couch or anywhere on opposite wall of my TV. It's now less than 2 feet from my soundbar and actually have to turn down the bass so I don't disturb my neighbors (apartment/condo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlgomez View Post
]
The test pattern helped alot in answering questions I wasnt aware I needed an answer to.. It seems with the TV settings set arc but PCM instead of auto your overhead channels dont work.. Also settings for ARC with optical is different from ARC with HDMI.. Havent figured out exactly what yet but it is different..
I'm by no means an expert, but from what I have gathered PCM is 2 channel audio. Oh and YouTube re-encodes all uploaded videos to stereo, don't believe those 5.1/Atmos test clips.

How do you get ARC with Optical? Do you have your optical cable plugged in, in addition to the HDMI? I only use HDMI to my C8.
jlgomez likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1564 of 1655 Old 06-02-2019, 08:43 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
sorry got confused.. I didnt realize your model is the new one.. No I have the sk10y.. You have the new baby.. If you watch alot of regular 5.1 surround I suggest getting the rear wireless speakers I have them they work very well..
So it sounds like the SL10YG can pass [email protected] and play Atmos with this new firmware? Do we know if the same firmware is coming to SK10Y? I too only show version 18061178 on mine.
post #1565 of 1655 Old 06-02-2019, 01:22 PM

Quote:
You're welcome. I had to play around with the subwoofer placement...was lacking when placed behind my couch or anywhere on opposite wall of my TV. It's now less than 2 feet from my soundbar and actually have to turn down the bass so I don't disturb my neighbors (apartment/condo)

I'm by no means an expert, but from what I have gathered PCM is 2 channel audio. Oh and YouTube re-encodes all uploaded videos to stereo, don't believe those 5.1/Atmos test clips.

How do you get ARC with Optical? Do you have your optical cable plugged in, in addition to the HDMI? I only use HDMI to my C8.
I have both plugged in.. and then u have to go to the settings of the TV and tell it which to use..
post #1566 of 1655 Old 06-02-2019, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patters000 View Post
So it sounds like the SL10YG can pass [email protected] and play Atmos with this new firmware? Do we know if the same firmware is coming to SK10Y? I too only show version 18061178 on mine.
I called LG and asked if the sk10 was getting dtsx and he answered NO so quickly I almost missed it..
Sina Moghbel likes this.
post #1567 of 1655 Old 06-02-2019, 07:15 PM

Quote:
I called LG and asked if the sk10 was getting dtsx and he answered NO so quickly I almost missed it..
😂 Just got the SL10YG on sale. Hopefully will be able to sell the SK10Y used to nearly recoup the cost. Hopefully will be able to pass through a [email protected]/Atmos movie on my ATV4K.
post #1568 of 1655 Old 06-02-2019, 07:18 PM

Quote:
😂 Just got the SL10YG on sale. Hopefully will be able to sell the SK10Y used to nearly recoup the cost. Hopefully will be able to pass through a [email protected]/Atmos movie on my ATV4K.
Did u get it through the deal I posted..
post #1569 of 1655 Old 06-02-2019, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Did u get it through the deal I posted..
Yep! Too good to pass up. Looking forward to it. The SK has been great apart from not being able to pass [email protected] and lack of discrete IR codes.
post #1570 of 1655 Old 06-02-2019, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Yep! Too good to pass up. Looking forward to it. The SK has been great apart from not being able to pass [email protected] and lack of discrete IR codes.
Great to hear..
I bought it and then had to cancel.. I was going to move my sk10 to my living room to replace my sk9y and notice it wasnt going to fit.. I didnt want to have to find a buyer for the sk10 and figured for me the only advantages was dtsx for me.. But then thought to my self 98% of the movies have either atmos and dtsx or just atmos.. very few have just dtsx.. so to me wasnt worth it just for an upgrade for my room.. if I could have moved my sk10 to the living then yes.. If you have yours and TV on top of a table look into the tk10 kit I bought and it looks assume..

Last edited by jlgomez; 06-03-2019 at 01:55 AM.
post #1571 of 1655 Old 06-03-2019, 07:44 AM

Quote:
I have both plugged in.. and then u have to go to the settings of the TV and tell it which to use..
You don't need to have both if you TV supports HDMI ARC. I only have HDMI between my C8 and SK10 HDMI ARC ports. Has to be this way to get Atmos from the internal C8 apps (Vudu & Netflix)

Quote:
Great to hear..
I bought it and then had to cancel.. I was going to move my sk10 to my living room to replace my sk9y and notice it wasnt going to fit.. I didnt want to have to find a buyer for the sk10 and figured for me the only advantages was dtsx for me.. But then thought to my self 98% of the movies have either atmos and dtsx or just atmos.. very few have just dtsx.. so to me wasnt worth it just for an upgrade for my room.. if I could have moved my sk10 to the living then yes.. If you have yours and TV on top of a table look into the tk10 kit I bought and it looks assume..
100% agree. Not enough new features to upgrade over the SK10. It seems most new content is mixed with Dolby Atmos versus DTS:X. Most of my purchased content (UHD & digital) are primarily Atmos.

But it will be interesting to see who wins the HDR format war...Dolby Cinema (Dolby Vision & Atmos) vs. IMAX Enhanced (HDR10+ & DTS:X)...I have my $ on Dolby Cinema but IMAX Enhanced is gaining traction this year.
jlgomez likes this.

Last edited by Kpyo012; 06-03-2019 at 07:49 AM.
post #1572 of 1655 Old 06-03-2019, 08:10 AM

Quote:
You don't need to have both if you TV supports HDMI ARC. I only have HDMI between my C8 and SK10 HDMI ARC ports. Has to be this way to get Atmos from the internal C8 apps (Vudu & Netflix)

100% agree. Not enough new features to upgrade over the SK10. It seems most new content is mixed with Dolby Atmos versus DTS:X. Most of my purchased content (UHD & digital) are primarily Atmos.

But it will be interesting to see who wins the HDR format war...Dolby Cinema (Dolby Vision & Atmos) vs. IMAX Enhanced (HDR10+ & DTS:X)...I have my $ on Dolby Cinema but IMAX Enhanced is gaining traction this year.
I cant remember the reason I connected both.. But I do know you dont need both at all.. The funny thing is If you try them separately they do sound different and one is definitely louder then the other but have no clue why and havent figured out if one is better then the other.. Or maybe it was all a dream..
post #1573 of 1655 Old 06-03-2019, 11:20 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by leej00 View Post
No, it's not just you... all I can hear is the music also. It just seems to output the opposite of what it's supposed to do. I'm very disappointed with this sound bar. I had the sj9 and I should've just kept it.
Have you guys tried turning down the up firing speakers? as I said in another message, this helped me. I noticed Music was blaring through them, louder than sound effects. Turned them down, then turned up overall volume a little, seemed to have fixed it, or at least made it acceptable.
post #1574 of 1655 Old 06-03-2019, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braggtrooper View Post
Have you guys tried turning down the up firing speakers? as I said in another message, this helped me. I noticed Music was blaring through them, louder than sound effects. Turned them down, then turned up overall volume a little, seemed to have fixed it, or at least made it acceptable.
Yes I noticed especially in the movie setting the OVC makes it sound super weird
post #1575 of 1655 Old 06-03-2019, 11:33 AM

Can anyone explain this to me. I use my Sk10y with my LG C8 TV. If I hook the Sk10y up to my Tv's HDMI Arc input, I get voice sync issues. Using my Nvidia Shield TV. If I hook the shield to Input 1 on my Sk10y, then don't use the Sky HDMI but a different one on my LG C8 from the Sk10y, sync issues disappear. Why would plugging this sound bar into my Arc HDMI input on my TV give me sync issues? any fix? and is there any downside to not using the ARC input?
post #1576 of 1655 Old 06-03-2019, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Can anyone explain this to me. I use my Sk10y with my LG C8 TV. If I hook the Sk10y up to my Tv's HDMI Arc input, I get voice sync issues. Using my Nvidia Shield TV. If I hook the shield to Input 1 on my Sk10y, then don't use the Sky HDMI but a different one on my LG C8 from the Sk10y, sync issues disappear. Why would plugging this sound bar into my Arc HDMI input on my TV give me sync issues? any fix? and is there any downside to not using the ARC input?
Is it possible you have the sound of your tv also on.. And gives you a funny echo..
post #1577 of 1655 Old 06-03-2019, 11:46 AM

OK guys I need some help..
The way I use my soundbar is mainly on hdmi 1 of the sound bar which I have a tivo connected.. But if have the setting of my TV to hdmi arc then the sound continue to auto switch to arc on the sound bar.. if I remove the simplink function on the TV it goes back to internal speaker + optical.. So ive been keeping simplink off and using it that way.. How do you guys have it hooked up if ur mainly using HDMI 1 on the sound bar..
post #1578 of 1655 Old 06-03-2019, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Is it possible you have the sound of your tv also on.. And gives you a funny echo..
Nope. Guess it's an issue with this particular sound bar with that model tv using Arc.
post #1579 of 1655 Old 06-03-2019, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Nope. Guess it's an issue with this particular sound bar with that model tv using Arc.
U said u have the sk10y and the c8 lg correct.. I have the same setup no issues.. try doing a reset on the sound bar.. Press and hold the Wifi button until you hear the
beep sound once. You can see “RESET” on the display window.
post #1580 of 1655 Old 06-03-2019, 02:48 PM

Quote:
post #1581 of 1655 Old 06-03-2019, 03:00 PM

Quote:
I repeat...

U said u have the sk10y and the c8 lg correct.. I have the same setup no issues.. try doing a reset on the sound bar.. Press and hold the Wifi button until you hear the
post #1582 of 1655 Old 06-04-2019, 05:13 PM

Quote:
I repeat...

Sorry man, didn't mean to double post.
post #1583 of 1655 Old 06-04-2019, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Sorry man, didn't mean to double post.
No prob...
post #1584 of 1655 Old 06-05-2019, 06:43 AM

Quote:
The way I use my soundbar is mainly on hdmi 1 of the sound bar which I have a tivo connected.. But if have the setting of my TV to hdmi arc then the sound continue to auto switch to arc on the sound bar.. if I remove the simplink function on the TV it goes back to internal speaker + optical.. So ive been keeping simplink off and using it that way.. How do you guys have it hooked up if ur mainly using HDMI 1 on the sound bar..
I have the exact same setup: TiVo on HDMI1, wanting to get the TV ARC working so I could get Netflix 4K etc. ARC was way too "greedy" on switching inputs, to the point where I just had to disable it and get an Apple TV 4K on HDMI2. (Which then led to the discovery this thing doesn't pass [email protected])
post #1585 of 1655 Old 06-05-2019, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Quote:
I have the exact same setup: TiVo on HDMI1, wanting to get the TV ARC working so I could get Netflix 4K etc. ARC was way too "greedy" on switching inputs, to the point where I just had to disable it and get an Apple TV 4K on HDMI2. (Which then led to the discovery this thing doesn't pass [email protected])
In my setup, I have LG UBK90 UHD Player hooked up to HDMI 1 on the soundbar, then soundbar is connected to C8 via HDMI ARC. When I look at the inputs on the C8, under HDMI 2 I have two sub options of HDMI 1 and HDMI 2. I then select HDMI 1 and inputs change, etc. Soundbar display changes from ARC to HDMI 1 and remains that way until I switch back to an internal app, at which point changes back to ARC.

When I get home I will check my simplelink & HDMI cec settings.
jlgomez likes this.
post #1586 of 1655 Old 06-05-2019, 11:23 AM

Quote:
In my setup, I have LG UBK90 UHD Player hooked up to HDMI 1 on the soundbar, then soundbar is connected to C8 via HDMI ARC. When I look at the inputs on the C8, under HDMI 2 I have two sub options of HDMI 1 and HDMI 2. I then select HDMI 1 and inputs change, etc. Soundbar display changes from ARC to HDMI 1 and remains that way until I switch back to an internal app, at which point changes back to ARC.

Interesting..
First of all the c8 under hdmi 2 for me has no sub options just hdmi 2... what do u have connected to hdmi 2 on the sound bar I have an xbox one.. But the biggest pain in the butt is that if you leave arc on then you get no image at all because ARC is using HDMI 2 on the TV so It cant comunicate with the hdmi inputs on the bar at all.. I wouldnt mind leaving it on arc but how the hell do I see an image my TV just says NO SIGNAL..
post #1587 of 1655 Old 06-05-2019, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Does this also happen to u..

But the biggest pain in the butt is that if you leave arc on then you get no image at all because ARC is using HDMI 2 on the TV so It cant comunicate with the hdmi inputs on the bar at all.. I wouldnt mind leaving it on arc but how the hell do I see an image my TV just says NO SIGNAL..
post #1588 of 1655 Old 06-05-2019, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Interesting..
First of all the c8 under hdmi 2 for me has no sub options just hdmi 2... what do u have connected to hdmi 2 on the sound bar I have an xbox one.. But the biggest pain in the butt is that if you leave arc on then you get no image at all because ARC is using HDMI 2 on the TV so It cant comunicate with the hdmi inputs on the bar at all.. I wouldnt mind leaving it on arc but how the hell do I see an image my TV just says NO SIGNAL..
Currently, don't have anything hooked up to HDMI 2 on the soundbar. When I did, it was my FireTV.

I believe our TVs have some sort of HDMI auto detect feature, where it will change the input icon according to device. Try unplugging all the HDMI connections and unplug c8 for 10 minutes. Plug in power and turn power on with NO HDMI inputs plugged in...then plug in soundbar ONLY and make sure ARC works. Then I would hook up your TiVo to SB HDMI 1 and verify. Then move onto Xbox.

Another question: do you have ultra deep hd color mode on for HDMI 2 on c8? If it is, might be worth trying to turn it off.

I'll be in front of my TV in several hours...
jlgomez likes this.
post #1589 of 1655 Old 06-05-2019, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Does this also happen to u..

But the biggest pain in the butt is that if you leave arc on then you get no image at all because ARC is using HDMI 2 on the TV so It cant comunicate with the hdmi inputs on the bar at all.. I wouldnt mind leaving it on arc but how the hell do I see an image my TV just says NO SIGNAL..
Yeah I think something is wrong. No reason for ARC to be on when you are on HDMI inputs of soundbar. The audio feed should be coming from the device connected to the soundbar. I plugged my 4k player directly to soundbar so it could receive the lossless Atmos feed. The c8 will only pass lossy Atmos.

What HDMI cables do you have? Certified? Do you know the specs?
jlgomez likes this.
post #1590 of 1655 Old 06-05-2019, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Yeah I think something is wrong. No reason for ARC to be on when you are on HDMI inputs of soundbar. The audio feed should be coming from the device connected to the soundbar. I plugged my 4k player directly to soundbar so it could receive the lossless Atmos feed. The c8 will only pass lossy Atmos.

What HDMI cables do you have? Certified? Do you know the specs?
No.. I think u misunderstand.. hdmi 1 and 2 on the sound bar work just fine.. and it says exactly that.. what im saying is when I enable arc on the TV the sound bar switches to ARC automatically.. but the problem is that my tivo is on hdmi 1 on the sound bar so my TV is on HDMI 2 on the TV which is ARC and then shows NO VIDEO signal.. So pretty much if the soundbar is on arc how is it supposed to show HDMI 1 of the soundbar when its on another input..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Tags
arc , hdr , lg sk10y , sky10y , soundbar , Vizio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page