Vizio Announces Three Dolby Atmos Soundbar Systems Including 5.1.4 - Page 12 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 333Likes

post #331 of 947 Old 09-18-2018, 04:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaiusmle View Post
SK10Y + Rear speakers on sale frequently around $600. There is no DTS:X or virtual X however. The VIZIO 5.1.4 should be around $600-700 to be competitive IMO.
That model lacks the rears (still claims to be bouncing rear channel from the sides, which I'm not comfortable with) AND retails at just over a grand (sales aside). Vizio IS being competitive but I think we got our hopes up with what we thought it would cost. I know in my head that a grand for the 5.1.4 is good compared to other brands but in my heart, I was hoping it would be less costly.

I will be waiting for a sale and probably getting that set. I have a 14 year old 5.1 set that has a 10" sub and I feel I can't settle for less than that.
leojj25 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 947 Old 09-18-2018, 05:11 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Hi, I am not having that issue but do you have any idea on how to setup the chrome cast, I do not see it listed when trying to stream on netflix?
Does the green atmos light stay on the whole time you are playing atmos content? Mine the light comes on and goes off and if I check in the smartcast app it says it's downgraded to dolby digital plus.

As far as setting up the chromecast, I put the vizio smartcast app on my phone and paired it with the bar. It'll let me cast things from my phone now. It doesnt work unless you are streaming from your phone as far as I can tell.
post #333 of 947 Old 09-18-2018, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a61688 View Post
That model lacks the rears (still claims to be bouncing rear channel from the sides, which I'm not comfortable with) AND retails at just over a grand (sales aside). Vizio IS being competitive but I think we got our hopes up with what we thought it would cost. I know in my head that a grand for the 5.1.4 is good compared to other brands but in my heart, I was hoping it would be less costly.

I will be waiting for a sale and probably getting that set. I have a 14 year old 5.1 set that has a 10" sub and I feel I can't settle for less than that.
Oh yeah, if you are rocking a 10" sub you don't want the 5.1.2 setup. I mean the base is honestly a little better than I thought it would be but it easily gets muddy if you turn it up a bit and you notice it won't hit those low rumbling notes.
a61688 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #334 of 947 Old 09-18-2018, 05:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I went from an SK10Y, to an SK9Y, and I’m likely to pick up a SB36512-F6 Tonight sometime to try out. I have no idea what sound formats it can decode aside from Atmos. Does anyone have this information? I tried chatting Vizio, and they seemed to know as much as I could find. The only thing I found was a review with a photo of the back of the sound bar, with HDMI cables covering the supposed formats. I did see DTS-HD, but I don’t know if it does TrueHD, DTS-MA, or DTS, Dolby Digital at this point.
Riekopo likes this.
post #335 of 947 Old 09-18-2018, 05:55 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtuki View Post
Does the green atmos light stay on the whole time you are playing atmos content? Mine the light comes on and goes off and if I check in the smartcast app it says it's downgraded to dolby digital plus.

As far as setting up the chromecast, I put the vizio smartcast app on my phone and paired it with the bar. It'll let me cast things from my phone now. It doesnt work unless you are streaming from your phone as far as I can tell.
Hey, So the Green light is only supposed to stay on for a few seconds (according to the manual), but some time is does switch off of atmos when i look in the soundbar information, maybe a bug?
post #336 of 947 Old 09-18-2018, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Hey, So the Green light is only supposed to stay on for a few seconds (according to the manual), but some time is does switch off of atmos when i look in the soundbar information, maybe a bug?
Also, when the atmos content stops playing, the sub like makes a funny sound, i dont think it is an issue just wondering if that is happnening to you? maybe adjusting form atmos to non?
post #337 of 947 Old 09-18-2018, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Also, when the atmos content stops playing, the sub like makes a funny sound, i dont think it is an issue just wondering if that is happnening to you? maybe adjusting form atmos to non?
I also notice when a stream dolby atmos content, it does not start in atmos, and then i need to restart the video, not sure if this is a streaming issues with wifi?
post #338 of 947 Old 09-18-2018, 06:27 PM

Quote:
I also notice when a stream dolby atmos content, it does not start in atmos, and then i need to restart the video, not sure if this is a streaming issues with wifi?
I'm honestly having a lot of issues getting it to stay in atmos. I don't believe it's a wifi issue, I tried directly plugging the bar and my tv into ethernet and it didnt solve it. I do get a slight stutter from the soundbar/sub when it kicks out of atmos. I have to restart programs quite a few times to get it to stay in Atmos, I would say maybe 1 out of 5 times it stays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finch106 View Post
I went from an SK10Y, to an SK9Y, and I’m likely to pick up a SB36512-F6 Tonight sometime to try out. I have no idea what sound formats it can decode aside from Atmos. Does anyone have this information? I tried chatting Vizio, and they seemed to know as much as I could find. The only thing I found was a review with a photo of the back of the sound bar, with HDMI cables covering the supposed formats. I did see DTS-HD, but I don’t know if it does TrueHD, DTS-MA, or DTS, Dolby Digital at this point.
It does Dolby TrueHD Atmos and Dolby Digital Plus Atmos. As far as DTS goes it will do DTS-MA but does DTS Virtual:X instead of DTS:X.
Riekopo likes this.
post #339 of 947 Old 09-19-2018, 01:41 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
It does Dolby TrueHD Atmos and Dolby Digital Plus Atmos. As far as DTS goes it will do DTS-MA but does DTS Virtual:X instead of DTS:X.
Haha, it decodes more than the SK9Y, AND comes with real rear speakers. I’ll try it out, thanks.
post #340 of 947 Old 09-19-2018, 03:51 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by koblenza View Post
My best guess regarding the price is that they looked around at the competition of 5.1.4 and figured 1k will be the most affordable system of that type. But they're not accounting for the fact that (i) the whole point is buying Vizio is the low price point, and (ii) since they priced the 5.1.2 at 500, nobody's going to want to pay 500 bucks for two up-firing speakers. I think they're sell the .2s really well, and the .4s will suffer. So as someone mentioned above, I would bet that by the holidays the .4s will have a big drop in price.
quite surprise by the price for the .4. although they are still the cheapest in the range but totally agree with you. the price difference between .4 vs .2 is way too much. I believe they will need to lower the price in order to make the stock move. I can top up a hundred or slightly more for better system
post #341 of 947 Old 09-19-2018, 05:23 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
I'm honestly having a lot of issues getting it to stay in atmos. I don't believe it's a wifi issue, I tried directly plugging the bar and my tv into ethernet and it didnt solve it. I do get a slight stutter from the soundbar/sub when it kicks out of atmos. I have to restart programs quite a few times to get it to stay in Atmos, I would say maybe 1 out of 5 times it stays.

Thanks for that feedback. Can anyone else who has already bought the .2 confirm that the sound bar will not stay in Atmos?
Riekopo likes this.

LG OLED55B8PUA
LG OLED65C7P
LG UBK90
ATV 4K
Samsung HW-N950
post #342 of 947 Old 09-19-2018, 05:57 AM

SO these are the issue I am facing at the moment, hopefully someone here from vizio can assist, because their call support is not good;

1- Main issue, when turning on tv the soundbar should turn on itself, correct? I get no sound at all and have to manually unplug the HDMI from the soundbar and plug back in to get sound. I have an LG C8CPUA OLED 65 and hDMI ARC connection with CEC enabled... this is huge issue

2- Unable to power of the soundbar using google assist, it said power control not supported, hopefully gets fixed with update

3 - Have to sometime reload the atmos content for it to play in atmos
post #343 of 947 Old 09-19-2018, 06:08 AM

Quote:
SO these are the issue I am facing at the moment, hopefully someone here from vizio can assist, because their call support is not good;

1- Main issue, when turning on tv the soundbar should turn on itself, correct? I get no sound at all and have to manually unplug the HDMI from the soundbar and plug back in to get sound. I have an LG C8CPUA OLED 65 and hDMI ARC connection with CEC enabled... this is huge issue

2- Unable to power of the soundbar using google assist, it said power control not supported, hopefully gets fixed with update

3 - Have to sometime reload the atmos content for it to play in atmos
4 - Also. the sub makes a funny noise when some content stops playing
post #344 of 947 Old 09-19-2018, 06:18 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaHiDef View Post
Thanks for that feedback. Can anyone else who has already bought the .2 confirm that the sound bar will not stay in Atmos?
Despite my urge to hate on Vizio for their horrible rollout, I will be picking up the 5.1.2 later today for a test drive. No way am I willing to pay twice the price for the 5.1.4 (or wait another few months for it to release). Hopefully I can share my impressions later tonight, or perhaps tomorrow morning. If there are ANY of the problems noted by others in this thread, then of course its going back! Hopefully I can pick up a sk10y (if there is another of the semi-regular deals on it) or the nakamichi (but no atmos) and do a comparison.
PlasmaHiDef likes this.
post #345 of 947 Old 09-19-2018, 06:29 AM

Quote:
4 - Also. the sub makes a funny noise when some content stops playing
5- Also, not sure if this is an issue, but I really dont get the overhead sound (played rain atmos demo) much at all, I do notice a significant difference when the height speakers are off though. It could be because my ceiling is not technically flat, theirs a ceiling fan there, which could cause the issue?
post #346 of 947 Old 09-19-2018, 06:54 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 5
I would really like to get the $1000 10 channel soundbar. However, I can't spend that much on a soundbar unless it supports both Dolby Atmos and DTS:X. Most 4K Blurays are mastered in DTS:X audio if I'm not mistaken. Also, I need more than one HDMI input on the soundbar in order to hook up my Xbox One X, DirecTV box, and 4K Bluray player. Do any of Vizio's new soundbars meet my requirements?
post #347 of 947 Old 09-19-2018, 07:03 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
5- Also, not sure if this is an issue, but I really dont get the overhead sound (played rain atmos demo) much at all, I do notice a significant difference when the height speakers are off though. It could be because my ceiling is not technically flat, theirs a ceiling fan there, which could cause the issue?

That is my big concern, is if the atmos is really noticeable on this 5.1.2? I feel like the atmos may be a gimmick, but I'm willing to buy it IF the overall sound of this system is solid (i.e. clear crisp dialogue audio, realistic surround sound, clean bass, etc).

I would expect the 5.1.4 to really give you that full height sound with the rears, but I'm having a hard time swallowing the fact that atmos from the front only is really noticeable. I wouldn't think the fan would be a huge deal unless it was ON. I'm not doing the 5.1.4 due to the crazy price tag, but am considering the 5.1.2. I'm curious to read more posts on the overall sound of the 5.1.2 as well as any more experiences with the atmos (i.e. does the sound really seem like it's coming from above, or does it just sound more 'full' from the front).
post #348 of 947 Old 09-19-2018, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Levin View Post
That is my big concern, is if the atmos is really noticeable on this 5.1.2? I feel like the atmos may be a gimmick, but I'm willing to buy it IF the overall sound of this system is solid (i.e. clear crisp dialogue audio, realistic surround sound, clean bass, etc).

I would expect the 5.1.4 to really give you that full height sound with the rears, but I'm having a hard time swallowing the fact that atmos from the front only is really noticeable. I wouldn't think the fan would be a huge deal unless it was ON. I'm not doing the 5.1.4 due to the crazy price tag, but am considering the 5.1.2. I'm curious to read more posts on the overall sound of the 5.1.2 as well as any more experiences with the atmos (i.e. does the sound really seem like it's coming from above, or does it just sound more 'full' from the front).
Hey,

so the sound is solid, I do have to admit its great, but my major issues need to be address. I tested sound with Dolby Demos and Netflix movies (e.g. Next Gen which at atmos+vision) and I would have to say the Dialogue is loud and clear, the surround sound is excellent, and the bass is very good) best bet is to go try for yourself and see if you agree, you can always return to BB within 14 days.
post #349 of 947 Old 09-19-2018, 07:28 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Well that is good news that at minimum you are getting quality sound, as that is really all I want/need since my old vizio 5.1 crapped out. I think I will pick one up in the next day or two as I can't bare standard tv sound ug. I was just debating getting the previous non-atmos vizio at almost half the price, but if atmos has a chance with this system I'm willing to try it. Thank you for the feedback . . I was dying to know how it sounded overall.
post #350 of 947 Old 09-19-2018, 07:34 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I've had wires exposed from a wall-mounted TV for several months waiting to see the actual stats and prices on these bars. These are the differences in the 3 models that I've been able to discern:

• $499
  • 36" soundbar
  • 6" subwoofer
  • No up-firing speakers in rear surround units
  • 1 HDMI input
  • Fabric-wrapped enclosure (from TechHive review and pics on BestBuy's listing)
  • Available now

• $799
  • 46" soundbar
  • 10" subwoofer
  • No rear surround units
  • Unknown number of HDMI inputs
  • Metal finished woven cover
  • Available sometime between now and end of 2018 (which sarcastically translates to Dec 30th.)

• $999
  • 46" soundbar
  • 10" subwoofer
  • Up-firing speakers in rear surround units
  • Unknown number of HDMI inputs
  • Metal finished woven cover
  • Available sometime between now and end of 2018 (which sarcastically translates to Dec 30th.)

As far as we know as of right now, are all the technical standards/details are the same? (Atmos, Virtual DTS-X support, Dolby Vision PT, etc.)

If I've missed anything, please let me/us know.

(Vizio's website is terrible if you want actual data. I wish they'd go ahead and post the owner's manual for each. Then I could make a buying decision and plan accordingly.)
yanksno1, theike and divo1979 like this.
post #351 of 947 Old 09-19-2018, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riekopo View Post
I would really like to get the $1000 10 channel soundbar. However, I can't spend that much on a soundbar unless it supports both Dolby Atmos and DTS:X. Most 4K Blurays are mastered in DTS:X audio if I'm not mistaken. Also, I need more than one HDMI input on the soundbar in order to hook up my Xbox One X, DirecTV box, and 4K Bluray player. Do any of Vizio's new soundbars meet my requirements?
From my usage, Atmos is used on 95% of the 4K discs I've seen. And when I do see DTS, it's sometimes in addition to Atmos and not exclusive. I think I can make-do with 1 input grudgingly. NVIDIA Shield would get the full-fat input on soundbar, then I push my cable box and Apple TV through the HDMI inputs on the TV. Hopefully my P65-F1 will pass-through the Atmos signal from the Apple TV.

Questions for you:
  1. If you have an Xbox One X, why would you need a separate bluray player?
  2. Does DirectTV support Atmos/DTS:X? (I'm sure they will in the future, but maybe they'll got the Atmos over DD+ route?
Riekopo likes this.
post #352 of 947 Old 09-19-2018, 09:45 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Can anyone who has the 5.1.2 tell us how long the Vizio supplied cables for the rear speakers are?
post #353 of 947 Old 09-19-2018, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkarp View Post
Can anyone who has the 5.1.2 tell us how long the Vizio supplied cables for the rear speakers are?
I would wager at the very least 20ft, it doesn't say in the manual or on them but I have one about 11ft from the sub and I didn't even use half the cord to do so. I'll try to unroll one of them later and give you a more accurate length if you'd like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaHiDef View Post
I will say I had a bit more luck earlier getting it to stay in Atmos mode. Only once did it drop out, and I just rewind a few seconds or reload and it would load it back up and stay in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Levin View Post

In my opinion sounding "more full from the front" is an adequate description. I've watched bits and pieces of Jack Ryan, Hacksaw Ridge (Which I saw in Atmos theater on release), Altered Carbon, Coco and of course all the atmos demos. You do get a sense of verticallity but it's not pinpoint precise like a dedicated system. Still though, for a $500 system I was happy with several scenes in Hacksaw Ridge where there are shells overhead and explosions, you get a little left to right on those but that's it really. It's mostly noticeable how much you are missing if you turn the height channels off and run it pure 5.1. Overall I think it's worth trying out, it has much better overall sound than I expected and at least Best Buy has the 15 day return policy if you are unhappy.
a61688 and Riekopo like this.

Last edited by Jtuki; 09-19-2018 at 10:21 AM.
post #354 of 947 Old 09-19-2018, 10:35 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
I would wager at the very least 20ft, it doesn't say in the manual or on them but I have one about 11ft from the sub and I didn't even use half the cord to do so. I'll try to unroll one of them later and give you a more accurate length if you'd like.
That's close enough, thanks!

I'd be curious to see if anyone has issues with Atmos if the device is plugged directly into the soundbar, rather than through ARC.
post #355 of 947 Old 09-19-2018, 10:48 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 1093
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsilcox View Post
Hopefully my P65-F1 will pass-through the Atmos signal from the Apple TV.
I don't believe any Vizio TVs support atmos over ARC
post #356 of 947 Old 09-19-2018, 10:51 AM

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffindodd View Post
They do. Lossy version over DD+. To get lossless, you'd have to use the In on the bar.
griffindodd and Riekopo like this.
post #357 of 947 Old 09-19-2018, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Hopefully my P65-F1 will pass-through the Atmos signal from the Apple TV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffindodd View Post
I'm sorry, I should have edited that to say Atmos over ARC by way of DolbyDigital+. I read that was possible, but I have no idea if it is.
griffindodd likes this.
post #358 of 947 Old 09-19-2018, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
I'm sorry, I should have edited that to say Atmos over ARC by way of DolbyDigital+. I read that was possible, but I have no idea if it is.
It's possible. It comes down to what tv you have. Some can do it and some can't.

LG OLED55B8PUA
LG OLED65C7P
LG UBK90
ATV 4K
Samsung HW-N950
post #359 of 947 Old 09-19-2018, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkarp View Post
Its Very long, I would say closer to 24-30 ft.

Also, does anyone have ideas as to why i am getting no sound when i turn on tv and the soundbar? I have to unplug and replug it back in.

I have an LG OLED 65 C8PUA TV connected via HDMI ARC with CEC on and Auto Power Sync On
post #360 of 947 Old 09-19-2018, 11:47 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:

No. Read the manual it says after 5 seconds it fades away. Lights up when detects the atmos device initially.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Tags
atmos , soundbar , Vizio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page