Vizio Announces Three Dolby Atmos Soundbar Systems Including 5.1.4 - Page 14 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 333Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #391 of 947 Old 09-21-2018, 10:00 AM
Senior Member
 
a61688's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 268
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffindodd View Post
Anyone expecting good atmos effects from a soundbar or even stand alone up firing speakers is going to be disappointed. I have a $1000 Samsung Atmos soundbar and find it almost impossible to notice the height channel.
In my theater I have dedicated ceiling speakers and the effect is mind blowing. There's just no world where up firing Atmos speakers get within a country mile of proper height speakers.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Even with rear heights?
a61688 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #392 of 947 Old 09-21-2018, 10:28 AM
Advanced Member
 
griffindodd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: San Diego
Posts: 995
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 1103
Quote:
Originally Posted by a61688 View Post
Even with rear heights?
Yep same story as they are still trying to bounce off a ceiling. Will they be better than no Atmos at all, a little yes. Will they come anywhere even remotely close to a proper Atmos ceiling mounted speaker system, not at all.
griffindodd is offline  
post #393 of 947 Old 09-21-2018, 11:42 AM
Member
 
33sun33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffindodd View Post
Yep same story as they are still trying to bounce off a ceiling. Will they be better than no Atmos at all, a little yes. Will they come anywhere even remotely close to a proper Atmos ceiling mounted speaker system, not at all.
Really, huh- thanks Griff. I suppose I was overestimating the height effects that I would be able to hear. Since a proper 5.1.4 system is out of my budget (much less a dedicated ceiling system), I think you convinced me to give the Nakamichi a shot for now with their virtual atmos (neural) (plus they sup. are adding atmos support soon). Also thanks to Nouniard for the tip about refurb nakas on ebay (thats exactly what I picked up!).
griffindodd likes this.
33sun33 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #394 of 947 Old 09-21-2018, 12:23 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Size of the 5.1.4 Subwoofer?

Anyone happen to be able to find what the physical size of the sub-woofer on the 5.1.4 system will be? It looks massive and might not fit my space. If it is too big, I might get the Samsung HW-N950 since that sub-woofer does fit my space and is available now.
Mark Andrew Frey is offline  
post #395 of 947 Old 09-21-2018, 01:01 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I bought this system the day it came out. Before I purchased, I was just using my 65 " TCL Series 6 (65R615) speakers, so of course, this is a major upgrade. I'm a musician and have a pretty keen ear for sound (went to school for sound engineering), and I have to say, for the price and ease of set-up, I think this thing sounds pretty damn amazing. Music sounds really great on it, some things more than others, depending on the mix but for the most part, I've been really impressed with the musicality of the system. My one gripe is it seems to be lacking a tiny bit in the midrange. The 6' sub packs a good punch for the size and is more than adequeate for an apartment (i''ve actually had to turn the sub and bass down to not piss the neighbors off). As far as the Atmos overhead effect, it's there, but not a wow. I watched The Matrix in Atmos last night and during some rain scenes and helicopter scenes, there was some noticeable overhead effect. I have a pretty good room in my apartment that is square, with flat 10' ceilings (a ceiling fan). I mounted the 2 rear speakers to the wall. For me, this set-up has everything I need. It has Dolby Vision pass-through, Dolby Atmos and doesn't take up a ton of space/no cords throughout the apartment and the sound is great for the price. I think you have to temper your expectations for the height channels with this but it is there, no doubt. For at little over $1600 bucks, I have a really nice theater in my apartment that I love, my girlfriend loves and receive compliments from anyone who comes over. I would recommend this to someone, even an audiophile on a budget.

65' TCL Series 6 (65R615)
Vizio Dolby Atmos Surround System 5.1.2 (SB36512-F6)
Phillips 4K Blu-ray Player (BDP7502)
a61688 and leojj25 like this.
Onebigbillybob is offline  
post #396 of 947 Old 09-21-2018, 03:57 PM
Member
 
x3angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onebigbillybob View Post
I bought this system the day it came out. Before I purchased, I was just using my 65 " TCL Series 6 (65R615) speakers, so of course, this is a major upgrade. I'm a musician and have a pretty keen ear for sound (went to school for sound engineering), and I have to say, for the price and ease of set-up, I think this thing sounds pretty damn amazing. Music sounds really great on it, some things more than others, depending on the mix but for the most part, I've been really impressed with the musicality of the system. My one gripe is it seems to be lacking a tiny bit in the midrange. The 6' sub packs a good punch for the size and is more than adequeate for an apartment (i''ve actually had to turn the sub and bass down to not piss the neighbors off). As far as the Atmos overhead effect, it's there, but not a wow. I watched The Matrix in Atmos last night and during some rain scenes and helicopter scenes, there was some noticeable overhead effect. I have a pretty good room in my apartment that is square, with flat 10' ceilings (a ceiling fan). I mounted the 2 rear speakers to the wall. For me, this set-up has everything I need. It has Dolby Vision pass-through, Dolby Atmos and doesn't take up a ton of space/no cords throughout the apartment and the sound is great for the price. I think you have to temper your expectations for the height channels with this but it is there, no doubt. For at little over $1600 bucks, I have a really nice theater in my apartment that I love, my girlfriend loves and receive compliments from anyone who comes over. I would recommend this to someone, even an audiophile on a budget.

65' TCL Series 6 (65R615)
Vizio Dolby Atmos Surround System 5.1.2 (SB36512-F6)
Phillips 4K Blu-ray Player (BDP7502)
Thank u so much for your review & coming off someone from sound engineering is a +

I'm waiting for the 5.1.4. Setup I figure based on your review if you hear some (minimal) height affects with 2 up firing speakers hopefully with 4? Logic tells me we should hear a little more height affects with 4 as oppose to 2?

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
x3angel is offline  
post #397 of 947 Old 09-21-2018, 04:05 PM
Member
 
suresh31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Allentown, PA
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Lightbulb Sk10y

LG SK10Y 5.1.2 Channel High Res Audio Sound Bar w/ Wireless Subwoofer & Dolby Atmos @ buydig.com $479 with coupon GP7479
suresh31 is offline  
post #398 of 947 Old 09-21-2018, 07:13 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 130
Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 145
For updated information regarding issues with CEC & Atmos performance regarding the VIZIO SB36512 - please see:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/195-s...os-update.html

We appreciate your continued feedback in diagnosing this issue.
VizioService is offline  
post #399 of 947 Old 09-21-2018, 07:41 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Griffindodd is 100% correct on atmos expectations. I went to BB today and heard demos of atmos in their magnolia room. The $1500 Samsung with atmos in front and back was hardly noticeable. When they played the same atmos scene with ceiling speakers, wow! So bottom line IMO is you will not get a wow atmos effect with ceiling bouncing. Anyone buying a new soundbar with atmos effect, I would focus on the overall sound and features and not solely the atmos effect.

As far as sound, I was most impressed with the definitive technology w studio. It was $1300 a few years ago (yes, it’s an older bar) but on sale for 699. Has no rears and no hdmi which is why I did not buy it today, but the sound was really really good. Still researching here, but I have not ruled out the vizio 5.1.2.

Here’s where I stand with my options in no particular order. This may all change lol.

1. Definitive Tech studio w
2. Vizio 5.1.2
3. JBL 3.1 (lacks mids)
4. Nakamichi 7.2 (have yet to hear one)

Good luck to us all! Lol.
griffindodd likes this.
Josh Levin is offline  
post #400 of 947 Old 09-21-2018, 08:02 PM
Member
 
Bear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Canada
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpsv View Post


thanks @Noydcom ... any idea when they will be available in Canada and who will be selling them
SB36512-F6 is available on Costco Canada (costco.ca) website at reasonable price in CDN$.
mrpsv likes this.
Bear is offline  
post #401 of 947 Old 09-21-2018, 10:30 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
DaveFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Natick MA
Posts: 18,216
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by a61688 View Post
No, I don't believe so. The bar should fit no problem just in front of the display without blocking the screen.
Unfortunately my P65-E1 comes right up to the lip of my stand so there's not a lot of room in front for it. The legs are only a few inches high as well. I guess I could always put the 46" bar on a shelf under the TV if I end up getting it.

I'll have to wait for 5.1.4 reviews to come out before I decide if it's worth the price.
a61688 likes this.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
DaveFi is offline  
post #402 of 947 Old 09-21-2018, 10:39 PM
Senior Member
 
a61688's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 268
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post
Unfortunately my P65-E1 comes right up to the lip of my stand so there's not a lot of room in front for it. The legs are only a few inches high as well. I guess I could always put the 46" bar on a shelf under the TV if I end up getting it.

I'll have to wait for 5.1.4 reviews to come out before I decide if it's worth the price.
You're definitely going to want to put the Atmos bars in front of and not below something that obstructs the top of it. These TVs are beasts and yeah, I'm not surprised they are barely fitting people's furniture. I'm using an Ikea line called Hemnes and the p65-c1 just barely fits it width wise. Table top wise it has some room, thankfully.
a61688 is offline  
post #403 of 947 Old 09-22-2018, 01:36 AM
Senior Member
 
ryu4000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 208
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 15
There is also a fix this is what my girl build for the bedroom the bar to me was way to low i thought so we grab some wood from homedepot. also this is old picture since then we clean the wires up lol but bottom shelf my ps4 and xbox x sits.It's not the same soundbar but it should give you ideas for your setup on the cheap less then 20 bucks to build this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	36919025_10160464381645462_8913319936894435328_o.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	337.4 KB
ID:	2458496  
ryu4000 is offline  
post #404 of 947 Old 09-22-2018, 01:43 AM
Member
 
soumenpodder's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Kolkata, India
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
https://www.theverge.com/circuitbrea...ase-date-price

5.1.4 system $ 999.99 ?????

Oppo BD103, Marantz SR6008, Polk Audio RTiA7, Polk Audio CSiA6, Polk Audio FXiA6, Polk Audio DSW 660, Optoma HD131X, Elite Prime Vision Peregrine HD PGF100WH1, Synology DS114,
soumenpodder is offline  
post #405 of 947 Old 09-22-2018, 01:26 PM
Senior Member
 
F34R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 305
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by soumenpodder View Post
Yep, we were shown this four days ago, officially.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Noydcom View Post
Here is the formal announcement-

VIZIO Announces Availability and Pricing of All-New 2018 Premium Home Theater Sound Systems with Dolby Atmos®

Up to 10 Channels of Crystal-Clear Sound, Including Four Unique Upward-Firing Speakers, Bring Immersive Cinematic Audio to Your Living Room

Irvine, CA — Sept. 18, 2018 — VIZIO, Inc. announced today the retail availability and pricing of its all-new 2018 Home Theater Sound Systems with Dolby Atmos. Designed to produce extraordinary cinema-inspired sound from every angle, even from above, the new collection sets the standard for immersive in-home audio. The VIZIO Home Theater Sound Systems with Dolby Atmos are available in three configurations and feature independent upward-firing speakers that deliver up to 10 channels of incredible sound from every direction. The VIZIO 36” 5.1.2 Home Theater Sound System with Dolby Atmos is available now at Best Buy, Costco and Sam’s Club for an MSRP of $499.99. The 46” 5.1.4 and 46” 3.1.2 models will be available at retailers including Amazon.com, Best Buy and Walmart later this year with respective MSRPs of $999.99 and $799.99.

“VIZIO’s latest Dolby Atmos home theater sound bar integration continues to prove our dedication to delivering high-performing, intuitive products at the incredible value for which we’re known,” said Bill Baxter, Chief Technology Officer, VIZIO. “This next iteration of audio solutions to hit retailers offers consumers an immersive cinema-quality home audio experience thanks to hardware advancements such as upward-firing speakers that allow sound to reflect off the ceiling and truly encapsulate listeners.”

The new home theater sound systems build on VIZIO’s legacy of award-winning audio performance. Featuring up to four Dolby Atmos-enabled speakers that reflect sound off the ceiling, listeners hear a range of subtle sounds that are often missed with conventional audio setups. Birds fluttering overhead, thunderstorms and helicopters swirling above become part of the listening experience to further draw viewers into their entertainment. Engineered to delight demanding audiophiles, each system starts with rich sound from the main sound bar’s left and right channels for a wide-ranging sound stage. A separate center channel then creates crystal-clear dialogue, while a powerful wireless subwoofer produces room-shaking bass. Select models also feature rear surround sound speakers for an enhanced listening experience, while added upward-firing speakers wrap the entire viewing environment with sound. Boasting a simple, plug-and-play installation process – without the need for additional components such receivers, amplifiers or other cables – the collection yields cinematic sound within minutes. The three configuration options are designed to complement a variety of television and room sizes. Additionally, sleek, industrial profiles maintain a clutter-free atmosphere and aesthetic.

With Google Chromecast built-in, the VIZIO Home Theater Sound Systems with Dolby Atmos also allow users to stream music from any Chromecast-enabled audio app, including favorites like Google Play Music, iHeartRadio, Pandora and Spotify. By tapping the Cast button or by downloading the free VIZIO SmartCast Mobile™ app, users can transform any mobile device into a powerful touchscreen remote to stream music directly to their VIZIO home theater sound system or sound bar. These new audio offerings ship with a remote to control a variety of functions. The latest VIZIO sound bar systems also feature smart home capabilities such as voice-control support for Google Assistant, allowing users to control their sound bars using only their voice.
For more information on the 2018 VIZIO Home Theater Sound Systems with Dolby Atmos, visit VIZIO.com.


About VIZIO
VIZIO's mission is to deliver the ultimate entertainment experience through our community of connected consumers, advertisers, and media content providers. Through our connected entertainment platform, VIZIO is transforming the way consumers discover and experience media content. Since our founding in California in 2002, VIZIO has built an industry-leading brand of products, including televisions, sound bars and other devices. VIZIO is a leading HDTV and sound bar brand in America. VIZIO product leadership is highlighted by a number of industry reviews and awards, making the 2018 collection the most awarded in company history. The 2018 VIZIO SmartCast E-, P-, and P-Series Quantum TVs have earned Reviewed.com’s Editors’ Choice awards1. VIZIO 2018 P-Series earned Wirecutter’s Best LCD/LED TV and the P-Series Quantum earned their Upgrade Pick2. VIZIO’s SB3651 was named “Best Budget Pick” by Wirecutter3, a New York Times company. The SB3621n-E8 sound bar received a 9.1 score and an Editor’s Choice from CNET4.
For more information, please call 888-VIZIOCE or visit www.VIZIO.com.
© 2018 VIZIO, Inc. VIZIO, the V Logo, VIZIO SmartCast and other terms and phrases are trademarks or registered trademarks of VIZIO, Inc. All other trademarks and logos are property of their respective owners. All rights reserved.
1 Visit Reviewed.com for full reviews for the VIZIO SmartCast P-Series Quantum (published: July 25, 2018), VIZIO SmartCast P-Series (published: July 15, 2018) and VIZIO SmartCast E-Series (published: August 21, 2018)
2 Visit Wirecutter.com for the Best LCD/LED TV (published: August 31, 2018)
3 Visit Wirecutter.com for the full article (published September 11, 2018)
4 Visit CNET.com for the full VIZIO SB3621 review (published 8/21/17)
Here are the differences:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsilcox View Post
I've had wires exposed from a wall-mounted TV for several months waiting to see the actual stats and prices on these bars. These are the differences in the 3 models that I've been able to discern:

5.1.2
  • $499
  • 36" soundbar
  • 6" subwoofer
  • No up-firing speakers in rear surround units
  • 1 HDMI input
  • Fabric-wrapped enclosure (from TechHive review and pics on BestBuy's listing)
  • Available now

3.1.2
  • $799
  • 46" soundbar
  • 10" subwoofer
  • No rear surround units
  • Unknown number of HDMI inputs
  • Metal finished woven cover
  • Available sometime between now and end of 2018 (which sarcastically translates to Dec 30th.)

5.1.4
  • $999
  • 46" soundbar
  • 10" subwoofer
  • Up-firing speakers in rear surround units
  • Unknown number of HDMI inputs
  • Metal finished woven cover
  • Available sometime between now and end of 2018 (which sarcastically translates to Dec 30th.)

As far as we know as of right now, are all the technical standards/details are the same? (Atmos, Virtual DTS-X support, Dolby Vision PT, etc.)

If I've missed anything, please let me/us know.

(Vizio's website is terrible if you want actual data. I wish they'd go ahead and post the owner's manual for each. Then I could make a buying decision and plan accordingly.)
F34R is offline  
post #406 of 947 Old 09-22-2018, 05:46 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Narrowing my search down and strangely enough, I think I’m going to settle on the vizio.

I actually bought the Definitive Technology Studio W (retailed at 1300 three years ago) today that got rave reviews on audio quality. It does have amazing sound, but I’m disappointed in the max volume level. It’s not super loud, albeit the quality is the best I’ve heard from a soundbar (crisp, excellent low mid and high, very rich sounding). However, it also lacks 4K pass through, no arc, no rears, no Bluetooth due to it being older.

The vizios have always sounded good, and you get all the above including their attempt at atmos which will only improve with fw updates.

This Definitive is going back. I love the sound, but if I can’t crank it up, I will never be fully satisfied paying $700 for it. I wouldn’t pay $500 for it either.

Probably gonna give the 5.1.2 a shot after all. What a flipping roller coaster it’s been trying to find a good bar for under $800.
leojj25 likes this.
Josh Levin is offline  
post #407 of 947 Old 09-24-2018, 07:04 AM
Advanced Member
 
etrin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 769
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I don't understand, if the sound is supposed to be directed upward, how is there a shelf right above the bars?
etrin is offline  
post #408 of 947 Old 09-24-2018, 08:08 AM
Senior Member
 
a61688's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 268
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by etrin View Post
I don't understand, if the sound is supposed to be directed upward, how is there a shelf right above the bars?
Huh? Who has shelves above the bar? You wouldn't want to obstruct the up firing.
a61688 is offline  
post #409 of 947 Old 09-24-2018, 08:27 AM
Advanced Member
 
etrin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 769
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 18
in the demo video on page 1 the soundbars are sitting on shelves one above the other.
etrin is offline  
post #410 of 947 Old 09-24-2018, 09:23 AM
Senior Member
 
a61688's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 268
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by etrin View Post
in the demo video on page 1 the soundbars are sitting on shelves one above the other.
Oh. If you noticed, the bottom two shelves stuck out further than the top one. This means that nothing was obstructed. Bottom bar has no height channels.
theike likes this.
a61688 is offline  
post #411 of 947 Old 09-24-2018, 01:33 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 4
The top firing speakers do not fire straight up. They are on an angle facing forward and up so I don’t think those shelves disrupt the sound in the demo.

All I know is not to expect much of an atmos effect on any soundbar or system unless you have discrete ceiling speakers.

Same as rear surround. There is only so much simulation you can do and discrete speakers make a big difference.

If you are buying this bar, buy it for the 5.1 mainly and quality of sound and features (i.e. arc, 4K passthru, Bluetooth, etc). The atmos effect will help with overall sound quality, but don’t expect to hear sounds from above so much. Just my two cents after extensive research and listening to atmos in demo rooms with ceiling bounce vs discrete ceiling speakers.
Josh Levin is offline  
post #412 of 947 Old 09-25-2018, 05:36 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 274
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 161
@Noydcom are these Vizio bars going to accept atmos through ARC input via DD+?

Sony XBR55X900F
Sony UBP-X700
Onkyo TX-NR787
Def Tech CS9040 & BP9020 x2
Pioneer SP-BS22A-LR Andrew Jones x2
theike is offline  
post #413 of 947 Old 09-25-2018, 07:27 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have been keeping an eye on this soudbar for awhile. I have a Samsung 65" 4K HDR TV that is great and a LG SH7B 4.1ch Sound Bar thats just ok. I really want a soundbar and good wireless rear surround sound speakers , my LGs were an add on and were horrible. Although this Vizio soundbar doesnt do the best with atmos it seems like it would be a good solution for me. I dont think I have a ton of atmos material- I mostly use my Tivo Bolt and watch cable , netflix and some prime video.

I dont understand why everyone is concerned about the number of inputs? I plug my current soundbar into my tvs hdmi 1 input and use HDMI arc. I then have my Tivo, Xbox One S, and Nintendo Switch plugged into inputs 2,3,4 of my tv. Is this not the ideal setup?
johnwashere is offline  
post #414 of 947 Old 09-25-2018, 07:40 AM
Senior Member
 
a61688's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 268
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwashere View Post
I have been keeping an eye on this soudbar for awhile. I have a Samsung 65" 4K HDR TV that is great and a LG SH7B 4.1ch Sound Bar thats just ok. I really want a soundbar and good wireless rear surround sound speakers , my LGs were an add on and were horrible. Although this Vizio soundbar doesnt do the best with atmos it seems like it would be a good solution for me. I dont think I have a ton of atmos material- I mostly use my Tivo Bolt and watch cable , netflix and some prime video.

I dont understand why everyone is concerned about the number of inputs? I plug my current soundbar into my tvs hdmi 1 input and use HDMI arc. I then have my Tivo, Xbox One S, and Nintendo Switch plugged into inputs 2,3,4 of my tv. Is this not the ideal setup?
Any audio being passed on via ARC is compressed. Sound bar inputs would be processed as uncompressed. The more inputs you have, the more sources of high quality audio you have. Essentially, people want to recreate what they have with full receivers but with a soundbar (not gonna happen, btw)
johnwashere likes this.
a61688 is offline  
post #415 of 947 Old 09-25-2018, 08:07 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Optimal to plug devices into soundbar vs tv and allow the processor on the soundbar to process the audio for best sound quality.
johnwashere likes this.
Josh Levin is offline  
post #416 of 947 Old 09-25-2018, 09:50 AM
Member
 
tsilcox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Tampa
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by a61688 View Post
Any audio being passed on via ARC is compressed. Sound bar inputs would be processed as uncompressed. The more inputs you have, the more sources of high quality audio you have. Essentially, people want to recreate what they have with full receivers but with a soundbar (not gonna happen, btw)
It's not only that it's just compressed, but you lose format support when going through ARC. I'd lose DTS (I think), DTS-HD, DTS-X, Dolby True-HD, Dolby Atmos, etc. (From Plex, Netflix, Amazon, etc.)

I'd be perfectly fine with 2 inputs, but would rather have 3. Is that really asking for too much? This product segment exists for the sole reason to replace full receivers. Plenty of soundbars have multiple inputs, it's not a technological limit, it's a design/market decision.
a61688 likes this.
tsilcox is offline  
post #417 of 947 Old 09-25-2018, 10:08 AM
Senior Member
 
a61688's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 268
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsilcox View Post
It's not only that it's just compressed, but you lose format support when going through ARC. I'd lose DTS (I think), DTS-HD, DTS-X, Dolby True-HD, Dolby Atmos, etc. (From Plex, Netflix, Amazon, etc.)

I'd be perfectly fine with 2 inputs, but would rather have 3. Is that really asking for too much? This product segment exists for the sole reason to replace full receivers. Plenty of soundbars have multiple inputs, it's not a technological limit, it's a design/market decision.
You won't get DTS over ARC? What TV do you have? You should get Atmos via DD+.
a61688 is offline  
post #418 of 947 Old 09-25-2018, 10:18 AM
Member
 
tsilcox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Tampa
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by a61688 View Post
You won't get DTS over ARC? What TV do you have? You should get Atmos via DD+.
I have a new Vizio P65-F1 and I do get DTS. (I hadn't verified it yet.) But I don't know if I get DTS-HD or DD+/Atmos...I can't find anything on Vizio's site or product manuals, and rtings.com doesn't check for those.

I have a ton of DTS-HD movies, but that at least gracefully degrades to DTS.
tsilcox is offline  
post #419 of 947 Old 09-25-2018, 10:22 AM
Senior Member
 
a61688's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 268
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsilcox View Post
I have a new Vizio P65-F1 and I do get DTS. (I hadn't verified it yet.) But I don't know if I get DTS-HD or DD+/Atmos...I can't find anything on Vizio's site or product manuals, and rtings.com doesn't check for those.

I have a ton of DTS-HD movies, but that at least gracefully degrades to DTS.
Yeah, you aren't going to get the lossless codecs over ARC. Should get Atmos over DD+ according to other P series users.
tsilcox likes this.
a61688 is offline  
post #420 of 947 Old 09-25-2018, 10:42 AM
Senior Member
 
guacamoleparty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 262
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Im curious as to how this bar compares to the previous years model (SB33651-E6) which I own and if it is worth upgrading for. If anyone has comparison that'd be excellent!
guacamoleparty is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Soundbars

Tags
atmos , soundbar , Vizio

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off