Vizio Announces Three Dolby Atmos Soundbar Systems Including 5.1.4 - Page 28 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 328Likes

post #811 of 912 Old 02-12-2019, 05:54 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Are you putting the TV in game mode when using the game systems?
Yes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 912 Old 02-13-2019, 10:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
I don't even use the batteries included with devices.
Why wouldn't you use the batteries? Stock batteries always last years for me.
a61688 likes this.
post #813 of 912 Old 02-13-2019, 10:37 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8896 Post(s)
Liked: 5687
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanalan329 View Post
Why wouldn't you use the batteries? Stock batteries always last years for me.
I use rechargeable batteries in everything. Well I guess almost everything. I don't use rechargeable batteries in my Smart Vents.

And then when I resell an item I can put one of these sealed battery packs in with the item. Or I take them to work for people to use.

53TB unRAID2--45TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #814 of 912 Old 02-13-2019, 04:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Any word on a firmware update to fix the issue found in highdefdigest.com review?

Specifically the rear Atmos speakers mirroring the fronts instead of discrete.
post #815 of 912 Old 02-13-2019, 04:15 PM
UHD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnSkywalker View Post
Any word on a firmware update to fix the issue found in highdefdigest.com review?

Specifically the rear Atmos speakers mirroring the fronts instead of discrete.
What issue did they run into?

post #816 of 912 Old 02-13-2019, 04:21 PM

The rear atmos speakers are just a repeat of the fronts. They should have 4 discrete channels of atmos and currently only have 2 repeated.

This matches an early version of the atmos spec but not the current one.
aaronwt likes this.
post #817 of 912 Old 02-13-2019, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 114
I believe that height channel mirroring is intentional and supposedly, Vizio is working on making them discrete via an update. Who knows how long that could take or if it's possible.
post #818 of 912 Old 02-13-2019, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a61688 View Post
I believe that height channel mirroring is intentional and supposedly, Vizio is working on making them discrete via an update. Who knows how long that could take or if it's possible.
Thanks that helps. I am in the end stages of deciding how to upgrade my system at home. Vizio 46, Samsung n950, or upgrade the speakers on my existing 7.1 and convert to a 5.1.2 until I can afford a new receiver and go 5.1.4 or 7.1.4.
post #819 of 912 Old 02-14-2019, 09:44 PM
UHD Addict

Is there an issue with the ATV 4K and the Vizio 5.1.2 bar? I am getting some weird results from the ATV 4k. If I set the ATV 4K to Atmos then I can get no audio from the Vizio bar. For the audio format the Smart cats app reports "Other". If I turn off Atmos it should be sending 7.1 or 5.1 pcm audio. But what I am getting from the bar is not correct. And the surround channels seem to be folded into the left/right or maybe the height channels.

I tried with my PS4 sending 7.1 PCM and the channels show up properly with that and is working correctly with the bar. And then I tried with the XB1S and Atmos and that audio works and shows up properly too with the vizio bar. I also tried the ATV 4K in my other setup with an Onkyo receiver and and it is working properly there. And I even connected the ATV 4K directly to the Vizio HDMI input to take everything else out of the equation. And I still had the same weird results from the ATV 4K.

post #820 of 912 Old 02-14-2019, 10:05 PM
UHD Addict

Hmm... well that was interesting. I have never run across this before. Something about the SOny TV and the ARC HDMI input that doesn't work properly with the ATV 4K. Every other device I've used with the ARC input and the speaker bar had no issues.

So I switched to one of the other inputs and now I am getting the proper audio from the ATV 4K. Atmos and proper placement of the audio from all the channels.
I have no need to use the internal apps on my SOny UHD TV anyway. So I'll just need to program all my activities on my Harmony remote for a different input.

It just seems weird that all my other devices worked fine, but the ATV 4K is having issues with the same setup and the Vizio and my Sony 850C.

post #821 of 912 Old 02-15-2019, 08:12 AM
UHD Addict

Well I ended up needing to turn on HDMi-CEC on the ATV 4K. Even on the non ARC HDMI input on my Sony UHDTV it was still not reliably sending the audio properly. Once I turned on HDMI-CEC it starting working properly. And I moved the Vizio 5.1.2 bar back to the ARC input of the Sony. Now after using it after several power cycles, it seems to be consistently working. And giving me proper 7.1 PCM/5.1 PCM and DOlby Atmos from the ATv 4k to the Vizio bar.

In my other setup I have HDMi-CEC off on the ATV 4K. And it is working properly. It guess has something to do with the old Sony UHDTV in the setup. I'm just glad I got it working correctly now.

post #822 of 912 Old 02-15-2019, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Well I ended up needing to turn on HDMi-CEC on the ATV 4K. Even on the non ARC HDMI input on my Sony UHDTV it was still not reliably sending the audio properly. Once I turned on HDMI-CEC it starting working properly. And I moved the Vizio 5.1.2 bar back to the ARC input of the Sony. Now after using it after several power cycles, it seems to be consistently working. And giving me proper 7.1 PCM/5.1 PCM and DOlby Atmos from the ATv 4k to the Vizio bar.

In my other setup I have HDMi-CEC off on the ATV 4K. And it is working properly. It guess has something to do with the old Sony UHDTV in the setup. I'm just glad I got it working correctly now.
Possible the old Sony CEC and ARC aren't separated.
aaronwt likes this.
post #823 of 912 Old 02-16-2019, 05:14 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Ban all you want too it doesn't make a difference, complain to the super moderators all you want it still doesn't matter. All it shows is that none of you like opposing discourse unless it aligns with your narrative. Like I said threads are were people discuss many topics and sub topics regarding the product of their purchase. To call a response abuse is absolutely asinine with no further elaboration of what's considered abuse. Like I said cyber bullying is and illegal practice, to which AVS forum MODS knows about. But hey I get it, its all about who you know and are buddy buddy with. I love my P Quantum and my vizio 5.1.4 surround sound. And will voice my likes, dislikes and concerns fervently
post #824 of 912 Old 02-19-2019, 10:25 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Picked up the 5.1.2 at Costco on sale. So far, I love it - sounds incredible and much better than their previous 5.1 non Atmos bar. Out of the box, it connected to my wifi/setup via their smartphone app and ran through an update. It was a little wonky when I tried to shut it down (had 3 lights blinking) but a soft power reset seems to have fixed that issue. I set it up with ARC so that my Vizio PQ65 could shut it down and operate the bar with just one remote and its working fairly well, however today I did experience a random shut down of audio 2 times - seemingly random. I soft power reset my TV and the bar and hopefully that clears it.
a61688 likes this.
post #825 of 912 Old 02-20-2019, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guacamoleparty View Post
Picked up the 5.1.2 at Costco on sale. So far, I love it - sounds incredible and much better than their previous 5.1 non Atmos bar. Out of the box, it connected to my wifi/setup via their smartphone app and ran through an update. It was a little wonky when I tried to shut it down (had 3 lights blinking) but a soft power reset seems to have fixed that issue. I set it up with ARC so that my Vizio PQ65 could shut it down and operate the bar with just one remote and its working fairly well, however today I did experience a random shut down of audio 2 times - seemingly random. I soft power reset my TV and the bar and hopefully that clears it.
To add an update, its all running through ARC in Port1 of the TV - no CEC. If the shutdowns occurs again, I may switch it to optical to see if that alleviates the problem. Granted that would then defeat the purpose of having an ATMOS bar but as it currently stands, its not very impactful in my limited testing. We shall see!
post #826 of 912 Old 02-20-2019, 04:18 PM

Could anyone with the 5.1.2 system, p55-f1, and nvidia shield connected to hdmi let me know if they have any issues enabling full uhd colour? Every time I enable full uhd colour I lose signal, beyond that everything works perfectly. Vizio believes this to be an issue with the soundbar and would like me to replace it, I'd like to confirm if anyone else has experienced this.
post #827 of 912 Old 02-20-2019, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Geller View Post
Could anyone with the 5.1.2 system, p55-f1, and nvidia shield connected to hdmi let me know if they have any issues enabling full uhd colour? Every time I enable full uhd colour I lose signal, beyond that everything works perfectly. Vizio believes this to be an issue with the soundbar and would like me to replace it, I'd like to confirm if anyone else has experienced this.
I do not see a way to edit, just to clarify the shield to hdmi in on the soundbar, and soundbar out to hdmi-1 ARC on the p55-f1. Input is set to ARC and CEC is disabled on the shield.
post #828 of 912 Old 02-21-2019, 06:41 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by VizioService View Post
I am currently looking into this for you. At this time I do not have a definite solution. Have you tried any other devices other than your Apple TV 4K to see if this persists with another device.
I was able to fix the issue. Turns out that the HDMI cable connected to the HDMI-ARC port wasn't high-speed (doh!). Despite it being an easy fix, my P75 TV is wall-mounted flush to the wall and it was a challenge to swap-out the cable. Everything is working perfectly now!
post #829 of 912 Old 02-22-2019, 08:50 AM

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by aiekon View Post
I was able to fix the issue. Turns out that the HDMI cable connected to the HDMI-ARC port wasn't high-speed (doh!). Despite it being an easy fix, my P75 TV is wall-mounted flush to the wall and it was a challenge to swap-out the cable. Everything is working perfectly now!
Fantastic, thank you for your follow up information.
post #830 of 912 Old 02-22-2019, 01:54 PM

Had another drop out / power down of the bar last night while my partner was watching TV - made the show itself pause/look like it had internet connectivity issues. I clicked on the power on button on my Vizio remote and it turned the bar on within a few seconds, cause the TV to blink (I imagine an ARC handshake or something) and then it resumed playback. Pretty annoying. I may switch the cable out to the optical one to see if it occurs again, but then the whole 'ATMOS' thing would be not working etc. Hopefully Vizio is working on this. Anything I can provide to help @VizioService ? This is after I reset the bar and have not had it connect to any WIFI or anything - literally didnt change any settings.

Thanks!
post #831 of 912 Old 02-22-2019, 02:08 PM

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by guacamoleparty View Post
Had another drop out / power down of the bar last night while my partner was watching TV - made the show itself pause/look like it had internet connectivity issues. I clicked on the power on button on my Vizio remote and it turned the bar on within a few seconds, cause the TV to blink (I imagine an ARC handshake or something) and then it resumed playback. Pretty annoying. I may switch the cable out to the optical one to see if it occurs again, but then the whole 'ATMOS' thing would be not working etc. Hopefully Vizio is working on this. Anything I can provide to help @VizioService ? This is after I reset the bar and have not had it connect to any WIFI or anything - literally didnt change any settings.

Thanks!
I will look into this further for you. However if this behavior continues it could be related to the sound bar itself. I would advised to use this link: https://support.vizio.com/s/self-ser...language=en_US and set up service to rule out the possibility of a hardware related issue.
post #832 of 912 Old 02-22-2019, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VizioService View Post
I will look into this further for you. However if this behavior continues it could be related to the sound bar itself. I would advised to use this link: https://support.vizio.com/s/self-ser...language=en_US and set up service to rule out the possibility of a hardware related issue.
Hey there, I appreciate the guidance! I swapped over to the optical cable to see if the issue goes away - and if it does ill just leave it like that for now. I can always swap the bar out at Costco if its truly a dud - i just bought it so I have ample return time. Thanks!

Edit: For anyone else following this, the unit turned itself off on optical audio as well - just a random off. Didnt do anything to the TV like the ARC connection obviously, but it did occur with optical connection. Im going to try to re-apply the firmware, perhaps that will remedy it, but I am not very hopefully. Ill live with it for a bit but most likely going to be swapped out within my return period. Bummer!

Last edited by guacamoleparty; 02-23-2019 at 09:21 AM.
post #833 of 912 Old 02-28-2019, 10:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 104
I bought the Vizio soundbar with Dolby Atmos . Very disappointed that I can't connect my headphone via BT .

LG OLED 65 2018 , HT Sony X950 85inch, Def Tech 9000 Dolby Atmos Speakers, Anthem MRX1120, Oppo203 and a nagging wife.
post #834 of 912 Old 02-28-2019, 02:11 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I bought the 5.1.2 on black friday and the thing sounded pretty good but had so many issues i had to return it. i figured being paired with a brand new vizio p65-f1 it’d work seamlessly but much to my surprise the arc connection and cec issues were overwhelming. the bar would turn off in its own randomly. sometimes i’d power on the tv and the bar would stay off. from time to time on boot up the bar wouldn’t give me any audio and i’d have to change the input multiple times and mess with the cable just to get it to play sound and then the surround speakers weren’t playing any audio. it was a nice idea for an affordable price but i don’t think vizio full worked out all the kinks before releasing this and it really shows. i ended up getting a nakamichi 7.1 pro dtsx model and it blows the vizio out of the water in terms of sound quality. The bass on the nakamichi puts the vizio to shame. it sound much more powerful yet not overpowering or rattley like the vizio. anyone who’s got one of these vizios and is at white end is recommend looking into the nakamichi bars. they’ve got true surround speakers and a big ol sub woofer and they won’t give you the headache that comes with the vizio.
post #835 of 912 Old 02-28-2019, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerdude View Post
I bought the Vizio soundbar with Dolby Atmos . Very disappointed that I can't connect my headphone via BT .
You bought a soundbar so you could use headphones?
aaronwt likes this.
post #836 of 912 Old 02-28-2019, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postman805 View Post
I bought the 5.1.2 on black friday and the thing sounded pretty good but had so many issues i had to return it. i figured being paired with a brand new vizio p65-f1 it’d work seamlessly but much to my surprise the arc connection and cec issues were overwhelming. the bar would turn off in its own randomly. sometimes i’d power on the tv and the bar would stay off. from time to time on boot up the bar wouldn’t give me any audio and i’d have to change the input multiple times and mess with the cable just to get it to play sound and then the surround speakers weren’t playing any audio. it was a nice idea for an affordable price but i don’t think vizio full worked out all the kinks before releasing this and it really shows. i ended up getting a nakamichi 7.1 pro dtsx model and it blows the vizio out of the water in terms of sound quality. The bass on the nakamichi puts the vizio to shame. it sound much more powerful yet not overpowering or rattley like the vizio. anyone who’s got one of these vizios and is at white end is recommend looking into the nakamichi bars. they’ve got true surround speakers and a big ol sub woofer and they won’t give you the headache that comes with the vizio.
'true surround'?
post #837 of 912 Old 02-28-2019, 05:45 PM
UHD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postman805 View Post
What headache? My 5.1.2 Vizio has been working great with my 2015 SOny UHD TV and several HDMi switches cascaded to the Vizio. I certainly expect the Nakamichi to sound better, but I also got the Vizio for almost half the price. For my use I am happy with the Vizio since it doesn't take up much space but still sounds decent. I looked at the Nakamichi but everything was bigger than I wanted. Plus it would have cost me alot more.

post #838 of 912 Old 02-28-2019, 07:15 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by a61688 View Post
'true surround'?
meaning it’s got satellite speakers. the vizio does aswell which was a huge selling point when i bought it.

Quote:
What headache? My 5.1.2 Vizio has been working great with my 2015 SOny UHD TV and several HDMi switches cascaded to the Vizio. I certainly expect the Nakamichi to sound better, but I also got the Vizio for almost half the price. For my use I am happy with the Vizio since it doesn't take up much space but still sounds decent. I looked at the Nakamichi but everything was bigger than I wanted. Plus it would have cost me alot more.
i know not all people are going to have issues with the vizio atmos bars but when i got mine it was trouble from day 1. just lots of random cec and arc issues and they keep pumping out firmware updates that don’t seem to resolve these issues. maybe i just got a lemon but who knows. i definitely saw plenty of people having similar issues to mine and other issues i wasn’t experiencing. before i found this forum i was browsing the vizio official subreddit and there’s so many complaints about these bars.

if mine hadn’t been acting up i would’ve been totally satisfied with it and if i’d never heard the nakamichi i would’ve thought the vizio sounded superb. sure the nakamichi costs considerably more but when i returned the vizio the nakamichi was one of the only other options that came with satellite speakers. and if you get a certified refurbished 7.1 system from their ebay page it’s only 450 compared to a new vizio sb36512 for 500 from bestbuy. it will also support atmos with a firmware update coming in the next couple months as the nakamichi satellite speakers can be oriented in a way that makes them upfiring. the 9.2.4 version from nakamichi already has the update but my lowley 7.1 version is the last of the models scheduled to receive the update

sorry i don’t work for nakamichi or anything hahaha. just wanted to point it out as an alternative to those people in this thread who are having issues with their vizio bars.
post #839 of 912 Old 03-01-2019, 08:54 AM

Bar has been solid for a week, I did move some things around in my living room and re-seated all my connections - maybe that did the trick. The other neat thing I went through is I setup the HDMI-IN for my Xbox One X to get ATMOS in games and for movies direct and its working great. I have zero latency and ATMOS is working fantastic in both games and movies (which I was hesitant about - latency wise).

The atmos effect is not as loud as I would like (atmos volume) but it sounds surreal in games when its going - I've only tried it with Forza Horizon 4 by having my partner control the game while my head is near the speakers to hear upfiring sound. Its really neat and havent run into any CES/ARC problems. The bar also seems to to also be playing nice with my PS4 Pro and Switch and everything else. I didnt have to configure anything different than already having my bar hooked up to my PQ65 Vizio with ARC on etc. Pretty great having ATMOS from the Xbox!

I verified it was working by using their app which has audio show up as DOLBY ATMOS - ATMOS MAT through most things and DOLBY ATMOS - DOLBY TRUE for 4K UHD movies. One thing I've had to check a few times, is that it seems to default the EQ to Movie instead of direct, so double check that through the app but once corrected was good to go. I mean you see the little green light as well, but this was as a separate verification. A+!
post #840 of 912 Old 03-01-2019, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Noob question, but I need to make sure I have this setup correctly. I currently have all of my HDMI inputs going into my Vizio P65 tv and then one hdmi going to the CEC input on the soundbar. Am I losing out on something by doing this?

I don't have a 4k device, but I did download some 4k movies with atmos that I can play on my computer via HDMI directly to a TV input. Is there a better way to do this if I have media on a USB drive?

Thanks for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Tags
atmos , soundbar , Vizio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page