Vizio Announces Three Dolby Atmos Soundbar Systems Including 5.1.4 - Page 29 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 328Likes

post #841 of 915 Old 03-01-2019, 02:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by T3h Professor View Post
Noob question, but I need to make sure I have this setup correctly. I currently have all of my HDMI inputs going into my Vizio P65 tv and then one hdmi going to the CEC input on the soundbar. Am I losing out on something by doing this?

I don't have a 4k device, but I did download some 4k movies with atmos that I can play on my computer via HDMI directly to a TV input. Is there a better way to do this if I have media on a USB drive?

Thanks for the help!
Connecting via ARC gets you compressed audio, connecting to the bar input gets you uncompressed audio. Other than that, you're good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #842 of 915 Old 03-02-2019, 11:04 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by T3h Professor View Post
Noob question, but I need to make sure I have this setup correctly. I currently have all of my HDMI inputs going into my Vizio P65 tv and then one hdmi going to the CEC input on the soundbar. Am I losing out on something by doing this?

I don't have a 4k device, but I did download some 4k movies with atmos that I can play on my computer via HDMI directly to a TV input. Is there a better way to do this if I have media on a USB drive?

Thanks for the help!
I would play usb media through the usb port on your tv but if you want the 4k movies to play their atmos track you’ll get the best quality hooking your computer to the hdmi in on the soundbar.
post #843 of 915 Old 03-05-2019, 01:43 AM

Liked: 41
What are most of you doing to get around this bar only having 1 input? anyone using a switcher? I currently have a hdmi switcher and it can be a royal pain. That's my only hesitation in getting this bar. I currently have a vizio 2.1 system and I think it's great (minus their crappy remote). So if you only connect your BluRay player to the 1 hdmi input, and then run everything else through your TV via ARC, you can't get Dolby Atmos through those devices going through the TV right? I ask because I also have an Apple TV. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #844 of 915 Old 03-05-2019, 06:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1532 Post(s)
Liked: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgaviator View Post
What are most of you doing to get around this bar only having 1 input? anyone using a switcher? I currently have a hdmi switcher and it can be a royal pain. That's my only hesitation in getting this bar. I currently have a vizio 2.1 system and I think it's great (minus their crappy remote). So if you only connect your BluRay player to the 1 hdmi input, and then run everything else through your TV via ARC, you can't get Dolby Atmos through those devices going through the TV right? I ask because I also have an Apple TV. Thanks.

I had an LG C7 and was able to get Atmos with the Apple TV connected to the TV. It will just play the best available. So if there is an Atmos track it would send it out that way to the sound bar. A lot of current TV’s can pass DD+ through to the sound bar which is what Atmos uses. As far as LPCM goes, TV’s can only pass that in stereo. What I noticed is that with the Apple TV, if it sent out a 5.1 LPCM signal from the TV to the sound bar it converts it to DD. So you should be fine. You can check what the sound bar is receiving in the app itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #845 of 915 Old 03-05-2019, 06:58 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8902 Post(s)
Liked: 5692
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgaviator View Post
I have three 5x1 cascaded HDMI switches connected to my Vizio 5.1.2 speaker bar. So I have seven UHD devces and five HD devices connected to the Vizio bar right now.

Sent from my Nexus 7(16GB) using Tapatalk

53TB unRAID2--45TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #846 of 915 Old 03-05-2019, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardontwalk123 View Post
I had an LG C7 and was able to get Atmos with the Apple TV connected to the TV. It will just play the best available. So if there is an Atmos track it would send it out that way to the sound bar. A lot of current TV’s can pass DD+ through to the sound bar which is what Atmos uses. As far as LPCM goes, TV’s can only pass that in stereo. What I noticed is that with the Apple TV, if it sent out a 5.1 LPCM signal from the TV to the sound bar it converts it to DD. So you should be fine. You can check what the sound bar is receiving in the app itself.

Keep in mind that Atmos-DD+ is compressed versus uncompressed Atmos-TrueHD.
post #847 of 915 Old 03-05-2019, 07:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Vizio Announces Three Dolby Atmos Soundbar Systems Including 5.1.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by a61688 View Post
Keep in mind that Atmos-DD+ is compressed versus uncompressed Atmos-TrueHD.

Yeah, for sure it is. I don’t think these sound bars actually output Atmos-TrueHD. The highest they put out is DD+....I hope I am wrong though.
post #848 of 915 Old 03-05-2019, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Yeah, for sure it is. I don’t think these sound bars actually accept Atmos-TrueHD. The highest they put out is DD+....I hope I am wrong though.
They do support TrueHD - through the 1 input.
post #849 of 915 Old 03-05-2019, 07:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a61688 View Post
They do support TrueHD - through the 1 input.

Oh, nice! In that case I you would probably need a switcher then. Isn’t most content on the Apple TV maxed at DD+ though (except Plex)? So you could probably just run that through the TV with no problem and output via ARC. I used to only watch physical discs but mostly always just watch iTunes or Vudu anymore along with a lot of the streaming apps. I personally have my Apple TV to the sound bar with my Xbox One through the TV. I really only game with it and use a headset almost all of the time. That’s good to know about TrueHD though. I was also happy to learn that it passed DV and HDR! My previous Vizio sound bar couldn’t do that....

a61688 likes this.
post #850 of 915 Old 03-05-2019, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Oh, nice! In that case I you would probably need a switcher then. Isn’t most content on the Apple TV maxed at DD+ though (except Plex)? So you could probably just run that through the TV with no problem and output via ARC. I used to only watch physical discs but mostly always just watch iTunes or Vudu anymore along with a lot of the streaming apps. I personally have my Apple TV to the sound bar with my Xbox One through the TV. I really only game with it and use a headset almost all of the time. That’s good to know about TrueHD though. I was also happy to learn that it passed DV and HDR! My previous Vizio sound bar couldn’t do that....

You'd probably only get uncompressed audio sources with disc-based media. Imagine the bandwidth it would take to stream an uncompressed audio track + 4k + Dolby Vision. Yikes, my data cap!
post #851 of 915 Old 03-05-2019, 08:38 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 108
I have my Xbox one X to play ATMOS movies through the HDMI IN - which is 'full fat'. Everything else goes through the TV because they're not high enough fidelity for me to care personally
post #852 of 915 Old 03-05-2019, 11:08 AM
UHD Addict

Quote:

The ATV 4K uses Atmos with pcm, not DD+(just like the Xbox). So it won't work with the ARC unless you have eARC. The the ARC is limited to 2.0 PCM. While eARC can handle 7.1 pcm.

But they work perfectly fine with the one HDMI input on my Vizio 5.1.2 bar. With my cascaded HDMi switches.

post #853 of 915 Old 03-05-2019, 11:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
The ATV 4K uses Atmos with pcm, not DD+(just like the Xbox). So it won't work with the ARC unless you have eARC. The the ARC is limited to 2.0 PCM. While eARC can handle 7.1 pcm.

But they work perfectly fine with the one HDMI input on my Vizio 5.1.2 bar. With my cascaded HDMi switches.

I personally was getting Atmos in DD out from my TV to my sound bar....so idk. My TV also only passes 2.0 PCM also. From what I understand was the Apple TV has the ability to output the best available. In my case since my TV doesn’t pass LPCM 5.1 it instead passed those as DD. If I direct connect then it would pass the LPCM.

post #854 of 915 Old 03-05-2019, 11:30 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
I personally was getting Atmos in DD out from my TV to my sound bar....so idk. My TV also only passes 2.0 PCM also. From what I understand was the Apple TV has the ability to output the best available. In my case since my TV doesn’t pass LPCM 5.1 it instead passed those as DD. If I direct connect then it would pass the LPCM.

Same, both Apple TV and Roku send Atmos over DD+ over ARC.
post #855 of 915 Old 03-05-2019, 12:14 PM
UHD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacon_67 View Post
Same, both Apple TV and Roku send Atmos over DD+ over ARC.
Apple uses atmos with pcm.

Sent from my Galaxy S8 using Tapatalk

post #856 of 915 Old 03-05-2019, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Apple uses atmos with pcm.

Sent from my Galaxy S8 using Tapatalk

Well, the soundbar app and my TV say Dolby Audio/Dolby Atmos.

Apple TV will decode all audio to Dolby Digital if it doesn't think the connected devices can support PCM, which is what it does when it's connected directly to my TV.
post #857 of 915 Old 03-05-2019, 01:38 PM
UHD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacon_67 View Post
Well, the soundbar app and my TV say Dolby Audio/Dolby Atmos.

Apple TV will decode all audio to Dolby Digital if it doesn't think the connected devices can support PCM, which is what it does when it's connected directly to my TV.
That's interesting
I've tried it with DD but I never got Atmos with it since it was legacy DD coming from the ATV 4K.. Mine shows Atmos and something else listed when coming from my ATV 4K. Can't remember off-hand what it says.

EDIT: It must be Dolby MAT that the Vizio Bar shows with Atmos from the ATV 4K(this is what it shows in the Vizio Smart Cast app for the format the bar is receiving). Dolby MAT is what the ATV 4K uses to send Atmos with PCM audio. The Xbox also uses Dolby MAT for Atmos with PCM.

My Vizio 5.1.2 bar has no problem with Atmos from either of those devices sending Dolby MAT for Atmos with PCM.

Last edited by aaronwt; 03-05-2019 at 01:58 PM.
post #858 of 915 Old 03-05-2019, 02:00 PM

Quote:
That's interesting
I've tried it with DD but I never got Atmos with it since it was legacy DD coming from the ATV 4K.. Mine shows Atmos and something else listed when coming from my ATV 4K. Can't remember off-hand what it says.

EDIT: It must be Dolby MAT that the Vizio Bar shows with Atmos from the ATV 4K(this is what it shows in the Vizio Smart Cast app for the format the bar is receiving). Dolby MAT is what the ATV 4K uses to send Atmos with PCM audio. The Xbox also uses Dolby MAT for Atmos with PCM.

My Vizio 5.1.2 bar has no problem with Atmos from either of those devices sending Dolby MAT for Atmos with PCM.

Yeah, my Xbox plugged directly into the soundbar shows Dolby MAT.

Roku/Apple TV show Dolby Atmos - Dolby Digital Plus when plugged in to the TV.
post #859 of 915 Old 03-05-2019, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Best connection?

I've been following this thread closely lately and don't quite understand all the formats. I have the 5.1.2 Atmos sound bar, an Apple TV 4K and a TCL Roku TV. Am I correct that I should plug the Apple TV into the sound bar and the sound bar into the TV to always get the best sound? I had tried Apple TV to TV and sound bar via ARC, but Atmos never showed up on the Apple TV.

The only problem with this setup (I've been using it for awhile) is that sometimes the voice audio doesn't play when I start a show (using Channels on the Apple TV; haven't noticed it on others) and I have to stop the show and then restart it. I suspect that the sound bar is getting the decoding wrong, but I can't pinpoint it. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
post #860 of 915 Old 03-08-2019, 07:47 AM

Liked: 0
I recently (2/2019) setup the SB36512 with my PQ65, enjoyed the setup for about two weeks and now the soundbar have no sound coming from the rear with any content. In fact i don't think the TV is also see the soundbar now. I tried multiple reset, unplug the power to the sub woofer and still not able to get it working again. I have the soundbar plug into the HDMI 1 with the ARC function and my Fire TV cube in HDMI 2. I also tried changing the audio setting on the TV and the audio format and still no luck. Very disappointing and frustrating. I am think about return it back to Costco for another one but no sure if it will happen again after several weeks. Any suggestion?
post #861 of 915 Old 03-08-2019, 07:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyz2019 View Post
I recently (2/2019) setup the SB36512 with my PQ65, enjoyed the setup for about two weeks and now the soundbar have no sound coming from the rear with any content. In fact i don't think the TV is also see the soundbar now. I tried multiple reset, unplug the power to the sub woofer and still not able to get it working again. I have the soundbar plug into the HDMI 1 with the ARC function and my Fire TV cube in HDMI 2. I also tried changing the audio setting on the TV and the audio format and still no luck. Very disappointing and frustrating. I am think about return it back to Costco for another one but no sure if it will happen again after several weeks. Any suggestion?

I had that happen when I first got mine and I had to toggle Surround Off and then back On and was for some reason that worked. Hopefully the bugs clear up.

post #862 of 915 Old 03-08-2019, 09:21 AM

I will give it a try tonight, will report back if that resolve it. Thanks for the suggestion.
post #863 of 915 Old 03-08-2019, 04:00 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
I had that happen when I first got mine and I had to toggle Surround Off and then back On and was for some reason that worked. Hopefully the bugs clear up.

Yeah, the best suggestion I have for any issues I've run into with my bar is just doing a soft reboot via the app - seems to clear up most issues.
post #864 of 915 Old 03-09-2019, 01:04 PM

I tried the Surround Off from the remote and that did not worked. Then I tried reset from the remote and still did not work then I use the app and tried getting more information to send into support for further troubleshooting. I then tried several things in the app and also plug the Fire TV cube into the HDMI port (not the ARC one) on the soundbar and tried several other things and suddenly it worked again. I have a feeling this issue will come back again. It also seem issue started when different audio format switch back and forth. I still don't see the soundbar being discover by the TV. Maybe a combine issue with PQ65 and the soundbar. Hopefully Vizio can do more testing with their products and get a more solid handshake.
post #865 of 915 Old 03-10-2019, 07:46 PM
UHD Addict

Yes. You would think they would not have any issues with their Vizio TVs.

My 5.1.2 Vizio Speaker Bar has been working great with my 2015 Sony UHD TV.

post #866 of 915 Old 03-12-2019, 04:18 PM

I’m getting some pretty bad lip synch issues with Atmos stuff on Apple TV thru ARC on my LG OLED. No issues on internal apps or Roku though.

Anyone else?
post #867 of 915 Old 03-13-2019, 06:22 AM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 45
What would everyone recommend for my setup.

We have the 5.1.4 Atmos Bar connected to our p75-c1.

Devices to connect:

4k capable TiVo
XBox 1X
Fire TV

Since the Xbox can't pass through 4k we have the TiVo going straight to the sound bar and the Fire and Xbox going to the TV and Arc down to the sound bar

Would it be better to have a switcher connecting both the TiVo and XB1X directly to the bar?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
post #868 of 915 Old 03-13-2019, 07:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntenseImage View Post

Devices to connect:

4k capable TiVo
XBox 1X
Fire TV

Since the Xbox can't pass through 4k we have the TiVo going straight to the sound bar and the Fire and Xbox going to the TV and Arc down to the sound bar

Would it be better to have a switcher connecting both the TiVo and XB1X directly to the bar?

Why not put the Xbox through the sound bar and arc the TiVo and Fire TV? If you watch Blu-rays on the Xbox you will for sure want that Dolby True-HD audio quality sound that you will only get directly connected to the sound bar.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
a61688 likes this.
post #869 of 915 Old 03-13-2019, 11:09 AM
UHD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntenseImage View Post

Devices to connect:

4k capable TiVo
XBox 1X
Fire TV

Yes. Use an HDMi switch. I use three cascaded HDMI switches in my setup with my 5.1.2 Vizio bar. It works great with my Harmony remote controlling everything.

And in your setup no point in sending the TiVo through the Xbox. Connect the TiVo to one of the TV HDMI inputs and use the ARC to get the audio to the Vizio bar. My TiVo Bolts work great connected to my Sony UHD TV using the ARC to get audio to the Vizio bar. Then with my HDMI switches, all my UHD and HD devices in that setup can go directly into the HDMI input of the Vizio bar
Sent from my Galaxy S10 using Tapatalk

Last edited by aaronwt; 03-13-2019 at 11:14 AM.
post #870 of 915 Old 03-13-2019, 05:13 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm not sure if I have my soundbar configured properly.

- I have the Digital Audio Out of my tv (P75-C1) set to Bitstream.
- I have my Apple TV 4K plugged directly into my soundbar (SB46514)

When I set the audio input on the soundbar to HDMI-ARC, I can hardly hear the main dialogue or dialogue at all. Just the background music/sound.

I can hear everything when the soundbar audio input is set to HDMI-IN.

Should I be using HDMI-IN? Or is something wrong with my setup for HDMI-ARC to work properly?

Update:
From the Apple Website: Apple TV 4K uses a high bandwidth form of Dolby Atmos that doesn’t work over ARC connections.

This answers why audio isn't coming out properly over HDMI-ARC.

Aside from that, should my TV digital audio out be set to PCM, Bitstream or Dolby D?

Last edited by aiekon; 03-13-2019 at 06:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Tags
atmos , soundbar , Vizio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page