Official Sony HT-X9000F 2.1ch Dolby Atmos/DTS:X - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 13Likes

post #61 of 107 Old 10-20-2018, 11:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi guys

Dunno if this us the right thread, but still.

I was wondering if any of you heard the difference between the Sony HTXF9000 and the Samsung hwn650. The sony has Atmos and X, but is a 2.1 channel system. The vertical surround engine sounds interesting, but in my country i cant really go to the shop and listen to them.

So which of of the two would you prefer in terms of sound quality and "surround sound"?

Atmos and x is a nice feature, but i dont really depend on it. I kinda find the sony more attractive, but i would like to hear some of your opinions

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 107 Old 10-22-2018, 11:17 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 15
From a UK site: https://www.whathifi.com/news/sony-a...e-earc-support

"All three of Sony’s Dolby Atmos- and DTS:X-supporting soundbars – the Award-winning HT-ST5000, the HT-ZF9 and the HT-XF9000 – can now be updated to receive eARC compatibility, as can the brand’s STR-DH790 and also-Award-winning STR-DN1080 AV receivers.

The update ensures they can play ball with eARC-compatible TVs, such as Sony’s AF9 and ZF9 models."
post #63 of 107 Old 11-03-2018, 05:02 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 22
HTX9000F connection to two-port 4K blu-ray player

I am using the HTX9000F with a Panasonic UB820, which has an HDMI video out port as well as an HDMI audio only port. I found that if I connect the video output from the UB920to the sound bar, HDR is a bit limited, e.g., whites get blown out and some definition is lost. So, I connected the video out of the UB820 directly to my Sony X930E, and the audio out of the UB920 to the HDMI in of the sound bar. (I have the HDMI TV (out) of the soundbar connected to the HDMI Arc port of the X930E.)

Is this set up about optimal? Wasn't sure if anyone had a similar set up.

All High Def LLC

ISF Certified
THX Certified Professional Video Calibration
THX Certified Professional Home Theater 2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 107 Old 11-10-2018, 11:59 AM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123123123123 View Post
Hi guys

Dunno if this us the right thread, but still.

I was wondering if any of you heard the difference between the Sony HTXF9000 and the Samsung hwn650. The sony has Atmos and X, but is a 2.1 channel system. The vertical surround engine sounds interesting, but in my country i cant really go to the shop and listen to them.

So which of of the two would you prefer in terms of sound quality and "surround sound"?

Atmos and x is a nice feature, but i dont really depend on it. I kinda find the sony more attractive, but i would like to hear some of your opinions

Thanks in advance!
I'm in the same boat. The "Atmos" (in quotes because it's simulated) part of this soundbar is super interesting to me. I got the 650 and the sub for about $550 and I'm seeing the Sony at $400 now. Really wish someone has had experience with both to give me some guidance!
post #65 of 107 Old 11-13-2018, 12:59 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Why this soundbar is not available on Europe ? HT-X9000F
post #66 of 107 Old 11-20-2018, 08:46 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 9090 Post(s)
Liked: 5840
I just ordered this from Best Buy to replace my HT-NT3. I'm curious how it will sound since the HT-NT3 has much better speakers. But the HT-NT3 doesn't have Atmos capability and can't handle HDR. I was going to get it at the Best Buy BF week sale price. But then I saw that they had an open box for $60 less. So I went that route instead. Since that extra $60 can get me another three or four UHD BD titles.

I just hope I don't have any issues cascading a couple of switches with it. Since that is the only way I will be able to connect all my components in that setup.

53TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #67 of 107 Old 11-23-2018, 04:30 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopysony View Post
From a UK site: https://www.whathifi.com/news/sony-a...e-earc-support

"All three of Sony’s Dolby Atmos- and DTS:X-supporting soundbars – the Award-winning HT-ST5000, the HT-ZF9 and the HT-XF9000 – can now be updated to receive eARC compatibility, as can the brand’s STR-DH790 and also-Award-winning STR-DN1080 AV receivers.

The update ensures they can play ball with eARC-compatible TVs, such as Sony’s AF9 and ZF9 models."
Here is a link to the eARC firmware update for the Sony HT X9000F

https://www.sony.com/electronics/sup...loads/00015570

I have not tested this myself.
aaronwt and snoopysony like this.
post #68 of 107 Old 11-23-2018, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcstock View Post
Here is a link to the eARC firmware update for the Sony HT X9000F

https://www.sony.com/electronics/sup...loads/00015570

I have not tested this myself.
Nice. Now I need a firmware update for my new Sony 65" XBR900f to support eARC.
post #69 of 107 Old 11-23-2018, 07:48 AM

The HT-X9000F is $300 off for Black Friday here in Canada. I think I'm going to pull the trigger and get it. At least to test it out and see how good the sound is. I'm in a small condo and don't need the surround sound systems.

Didnt buy it. Found the Vizio SB51236f6 on sale for the same price and went with it instead. Has 2 dedicated upfiring speakers for Dolby Atmos.

Last edited by snoopysony; 11-24-2018 at 06:58 AM.
post #70 of 107 Old 11-30-2018, 12:25 PM

Liked: 10
The Sony HT-X9000F Soundbar.

I recently purchased a Sony HT-X9000F, along with an LG 55SK900 Smart TV. The Sony HT-X9000F was discounted by $200 (down to $399) at Best Buy during the Black Friday and Cyber Monday periods. I thought I would add my two cents on it because I ran into the same thing that the originator of this thread discovered regarding the way the on-screen menu works for this soundbar.

I only have two things plugged into my new LG television – my iMac is plugged into HDMI 1, using a Display Port to HDMI adapter in conjunction with an HDMI cable that's compatible with 4K. I use a dual display set up this way and it works great for me. The Sony HT-X9000F is plugged into the HDMI 2 port on the TV which is also the HDMI ARC Port. I changed the label of HDMI 1 to "PC". So I'm always either using the display that way or opening up the built in webOS Smart TV platform to watch things like Netflix and Amazon Prime.

I had a heckuva time trying to figure out how to bring up the sound bar on-screen display on the TV before finally discovering there's only really one way to do it. I have to switch to HDMI 2 to see it. I knew the sound bar was working even before that but just like the original poster I wanted some sort of visual confirmation, besides the lights on the sound bar itself, to indicate that button presses on the remote were doing something. I could not understand why the on-screen menu just wouldn't pop up in front of whatever I was doing, whether using my iMac or the smart TV platform. So I now know I just need to switch to HDMI 2 to get visual confirmation of changes to the sound bar settings if I need to. Then switch back to what I was doing. It's kind of strange but it's not a dealbreaker as long as the sound bar is working the way it should and sounding the way it should, and it does sound rather good for a variety of purposes. Even the virtual surround sound capability is pretty decent for what it is although obviously not as good as a true 5.1 or 7.1 setup.

The other quirk I noticed has to do with the LG Smart TV Netflix app. The sound kept dropping in and out with what seemed like whatever I tried to watch through Netflix. After spending a lot of time on it I finally figured out that each and every program you play through the LG Smart TV Netflix app has its own individual audio settings on its program page. There is a "audio and subtitles" option under the "Play" button for each and every program on Netflix. There are two settings within that menu labeled "English" and "English 5.1". Except for a few exceptions if I don't change that setting to just "English" I get the sound dropping in and out thing. And it always seems to be set to "English 5.1" with everything by default.

When doing a search within that Netflix app you can type "Dolby Atmos" and it will list all the programs on the service that support this. Most of them play perfectly with the setting "English 5.1" selected (which like I said it is by default). However I did run into one or two that exhibited the same sound dropping in and out issue so I had to switch those to "English" to fix the problem. It still sounds pretty good this way but from what I could tell I'm not getting the simulated 5.1 sound when doing this. I don't know what the problem is with those few. Maybe Netflix mislabeled them or something? I don't know. Either way I no longer have to deal with the sound dropping in and out issue as long as I change that setting back to "English" if necessary. Kind of a minor pain but just like the other issue above not a dealbreaker or anything.

It seems we are in a rapidly evolving home theater landscape so I imagine these kinds of things will get ironed out over time. And, of course, the amount of 4k HDR Dolby Atmos (whatever all the standards are) should increase rapidly.

That's my two cents regarding the Sony HT-X9000F.
post #71 of 107 Old 11-30-2018, 11:31 PM

I'm having trouble with getting No sound from Android TV apps when using a HT-9000F connected to a XBR55X930E through ARC.

I can play sound successfully from any media if i connect the soundbar through Bluetooth. Through ARC i can get sound successfully from Netflix, but ONLY if i open Netflix through the soundbar's home menu GUI after selecting the TV input. If i try to open Netflix normally through the TV's home page it will not work. I'm updated on the latest firmware on both the TV and the soundbar. I've reset both the TV and the soundbar, i've cleared the data/cache of Apps like ExternalInputSource. From what i'm seeing online it seems like this may be a general issue with soundbars and built-in apps, can someone confirm this? Does anyone have any insight on this or have maybe had the same issue but resolved it? I'm going to return the soundbar if i can't get audio successfully through ARC.
post #72 of 107 Old 12-02-2018, 12:40 PM

Is this soundbar better than Hw-ms650 (without sub)? Mainly for music and gaming, and rarely movies ( no real need for atmos)
post #73 of 107 Old 12-07-2018, 06:35 PM
UHD Addict

I got this sound bar from Best Buy during Black Friday week. Like all my previous SOny Sound Bars, it worked great with the TV, ARc etc. And it worked great with an 18Gbps, 5x1 HDMI switch connected to it. That I have most of my UHD/HDR devices connected to in that setup.

But, comparing it to my Sony 2015 HT-NT3, there was a big reduction in the quality of the audio. Less clarity, less bass.(Which I guess is expected since both the speaker bar and subwoofer are much less powerful than the HT-NT3) Which I was fine with for the room I'm using in. But the main thing was that there was not as much of an effect with the Atmos audio as I would have liked. Not like with the system I have in another room. Where the audio is reflected from the ceilings.

So I decided I will return it to BestBuy. Some time before my February return date for BestBuy Holiday purchases. And just go back to using my HT-NT3. And I will get an HD Fury so I can get the 7.1 audio from my UHD content, while having them connected to the HDMI switch. That will connect directly to the TV so I can get HDR. Since the Ht-NT3 can handle HDCP 2.2 but not HDR.

So I will do that for now and consider my options later with a speaker bar that reflects the audio from the ceiling for the height audio.

post #74 of 107 Old 12-27-2018, 06:04 AM

Liked: 10
Hey everyone, looking for a little help on these new sound bars, specifically this one.
Since the inputs are limited on this soundbar, do I just plug all my devices to my tv and have all the sound from TV go from the eARC on TV to the eARC on the soundbar?

For example, cable box, ps4 and Xbox would all plug to tv with HDMI, then that way all sounds go to bar, or do I need to buy a switch or something to change inputs on what is going to the soundbar. Or do I just get a soundbar with more inputs like the SONY HTC800?

The TV I have is a Sony XBR55X900e

Thanks!
Matt
post #75 of 107 Old 12-27-2018, 09:54 AM
UHD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by emp41112 View Post
Hey everyone, looking for a little help on these new sound bars, specifically this one.
Since the inputs are limited on this soundbar, do I just plug all my devices to my tv and have all the sound from TV go from the eARC on TV to the eARC on the soundbar?

For example, cable box, ps4 and Xbox would all plug to tv with HDMI, then that way all sounds go to bar, or do I need to buy a switch or something to change inputs on what is going to the soundbar. Or do I just get a soundbar with more inputs like the SONY HTC800?

The TV I have is a Sony XBR55X900e

Thanks!
Matt
You can do both. WHen I had my 9000F setup, I had nine HDMI devices connected to it's one HDMI input. By using two cascaded HDMI switches. Then I also had HDMI devices connected directly to the TV. WHich used the ARC to get audio to the speaker bar.

If you have a Sony TV with eARC that is perfect to use with the 9000F. Since it also has eARC. SO you can connect a device to the TVs HDMI inputs and still get 7.1 PCM audio as well as all the Advanced audio codecs. While with regular ARC, you are limited to 2.0 pcm, DD+(and DTS equivalent) from the ARC or even just legacy DD/DTS with older TVs.
emp41112 likes this.

post #76 of 107 Old 12-28-2018, 11:20 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I have the old vizio 5.1 bar. Would this one be an upgrade even though its only 2.1 because of the Atmos and virtual sound?
post #77 of 107 Old 01-07-2019, 06:11 AM

Hi, new to the forum and looking forward to my stay here!

Bought this soundbar last week to go with my B7 OLED and it's been great so far.

I have a question though:

What would people say is better to use-the vertical surround feature or the Dolby Speaker Virtualizer that’s in the audio settings?

Thanks!
post #78 of 107 Old 02-19-2019, 08:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Those who use this sound bar with Xbox One, I see the only way to get Dolby Atmos is to connect XB1 directly to sound bar??

If this is true, is the Dolby Atmos that good with games over another mode? What output would I want to use if I do not use Atmos (don’t want to connect directly to sound bar)? Bitstream? 5.1 uncompressed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Room 1 Samsung Q8FN 75" TV || Denon X2400H Receiver || Triad InWall/4 Satellites || Triad InRoom Silver/4 Satellites || Triad OmniSub 12
Room 2 Sony X900F 65" TV  || Sony HT-X9000F sound bar
Xbox Live : BoDEAN
post #79 of 107 Old 04-23-2019, 11:03 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodean View Post
Those who use this sound bar with Xbox One, I see the only way to get Dolby Atmos is to connect XB1 directly to sound bar??

If this is true, is the Dolby Atmos that good with games over another mode? What output would I want to use if I do not use Atmos (don’t want to connect directly to sound bar)? Bitstream? 5.1 uncompressed?
If you connect the xbone to the tv, then to the soundbar, I would suggest to set it to 5.1(7.1) uncompressed, since Bitstream is only Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1. (Keep in mind: if your tv supports eARC, I believe that you can still use Dolby Atmos with the Xbone).

In my experience, Using Atmos with the Game EQ on non-Atmos games improves mostly on the high tones and lows. But you have to test and hear for yourself what is best for you.
post #80 of 107 Old 05-06-2019, 05:01 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMox81 View Post
Hi, new to the forum and looking forward to my stay here!

Bought this soundbar last week to go with my B7 OLED and it's been great so far.

I have a question though:

What would people say is better to use-the vertical surround feature or the Dolby Speaker Virtualizer that’s in the audio settings?

Thanks!
Just got this soundbar today. The vertical sound feature is a joke and sounds like garbage. Super hollow and tinny. The dolby surround setting is much better. Doesn't have the same hollow feel. For the price of this bar the sound is pretty bad though IMO. I just don't see many other options that would have better sound at this price or less. Super frustrating. I may keep this if I cant find a better option. It's still better than my 2013 samsung bar.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
bodean likes this.
post #81 of 107 Old 05-08-2019, 04:13 AM

Can anyone tell me if there is any way to keep the home menu from taking over the screen everytime this turns on? I see the TV, get sound, and then the menu takes over asking for a selection. No idea why it doesn't see default back to the last used input.

post #82 of 107 Old 05-08-2019, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsantucci View Post
Just got this soundbar today. The vertical sound feature is a joke and sounds like garbage. Super hollow and tinny. The dolby surround setting is much better. Doesn't have the same hollow feel. For the price of this bar the sound is pretty bad though IMO. I just don't see many other options that would have better sound at this price or less. Super frustrating. I may keep this if I cant find a better option. It's still better than my 2013 samsung bar.

I tried what you said about the Dolby virtualizer and the audio is similar when playing with the Music Preset with the normal audio output.
Have you tried all presets according to the thing that you are watching? When I was watching YouTube, I put the music preset without de vertical and sounds really great! But I don’t know.... maybe it’s just me
post #83 of 107 Old 05-08-2019, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Can anyone tell me if there is any way to keep the home menu from taking over the screen everytime this turns on? I see the TV, get sound, and then the menu takes over asking for a selection. No idea why it doesn't see default back to the last used input.

At the moment there is no way, unless you connect the device to the sound bar, and then the sound bar to the TV
post #84 of 107 Old 05-08-2019, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnwood47 View Post
At the moment there is no way, unless you connect the device to the sound bar, and then the sound bar to the TV
This is actually my configuration. Tivo to soundbar and soundbar to arc on TV. It still pops the menu up when I turn it on.

post #85 of 107 Old 05-08-2019, 12:26 PM

Quote:
I tried what you said about the Dolby virtualizer and the audio is similar when playing with the Music Preset with the normal audio output.
Have you tried all presets according to the thing that you are watching? When I was watching YouTube, I put the music preset without de vertical and sounds really great! But I don’t know.... maybe it’s just me
Yep tried them all. Voices and sounds were all just very hollow and tinny. Dolby is much richer. I guess room acoustics could be a factor but not sure.

post #86 of 107 Old 05-08-2019, 12:49 PM

Quote:
This is actually my configuration. Tivo to soundbar and soundbar to arc on TV. It still pops the menu up when I turn it on.

Oh sorry, thought about the UI.
Yeah, no way of that menu of taking over.
post #87 of 107 Old 05-08-2019, 12:52 PM

Official Sony HT-X9000F 2.1ch Dolby Atmos/DTS:X

Quote:
Yep tried them all. Voices and sounds were all just very hollow and tinny. Dolby is much richer. I guess room acoustics could be a factor but not sure.

yeah, My room is small, that could be a factor indeed.

Now, I tried the Dolby Virtualizer and the only thing that I worry about is not getting Atmos in the games that I play that supports it

But I believe that Dolby Virtualizer has already the "Vertical Surround" activated so I suppose that I still have this .2 virtual speakers, I don’t know

Last edited by Burnwood47; 05-09-2019 at 06:44 AM.
post #88 of 107 Old 05-10-2019, 11:50 AM

Quote:
yeah, My room is small, that could be a factor indeed.

Now, I tried the Dolby Virtualizer and the only thing that I worry about is not getting Atmos in the games that I play that supports it

But I believe that Dolby Virtualizer has already the "Vertical Surround" activated so I suppose that I still have this .2 virtual speakers, I don’t know
Ended up returning mine today. Couldn't justify keeping it for what I paid and what I thought of it. For the price it shouldn't struggle with the mids the way it did.

Pretty bummed cause there aren't any other options really that will carry good sound that around 1300+. And I don't have room for a center channel speaker so I can't go with a 3.1 setup witba receiver. My TV is about an inch too short.

post #89 of 107 Old 05-10-2019, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Ended up returning mine today. Couldn't justify keeping it for what I paid and what I thought of it. For the price it shouldn't struggle with the mids the way it did.

Pretty bummed cause there aren't any other options really that will carry good sound that around 1300+. And I don't have room for a center channel speaker so I can't go with a 3.1 setup witba receiver. My TV is about an inch too short.

That’s sad .
I hope you can find something that works for you!
I don’t know if you can test the HT-ST5000 it has mixed reviews as to how it sounds.

Good luck on your search!
bsantucci likes this.
post #90 of 107 Old 06-12-2019, 03:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Question for owners.

Have my X900F tv paired up with my Sony HT-X9000F sound bar. Have my Xbox X plugged into the sound bar, my Apple TV 4K plugged into my HDMI2, and HDMI3 on TV goes to my soundbar.
I am constantly having sound issues. I use my Harmony remote to turn on say Apple TV. I get picture/video, but no sound. I have to turn off the sound bar, then turn it back on, and then the sound works. Is this a handshake issue with the tv/sound bar?
Kind of annoying. Happens time to time with the Xbox also.

Room 1 Samsung Q8FN 75" TV || Denon X2400H Receiver || Triad InWall/4 Satellites || Triad InRoom Silver/4 Satellites || Triad OmniSub 12
Room 2 Sony X900F 65" TV  || Sony HT-X9000F sound bar
Xbox Live : BoDEAN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page