Official Sony HT-X9000F 2.1ch Dolby Atmos/DTS:X - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9Likes

Old 04-14-2018, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Official Sony HT-X9000F 2.1ch Dolby Atmos/DTS:X

This is my first official thread on here So I just received this unit today from AMAZON. After messing around with the settings for a few minutes (HDMI Signal Format, Sound effect, Subwoofer volume, Speaker distance and level settings) I can say that it sounds pretty good for a 2.1 soundbar and loud enough for my living room. I found the HT-ST5000 to powerful for my living environment. I like that the HT-X9000F decodes both DTS X and Dolby Atmos (not many do this) One down is that it only has one HDMI input. When playing UHD Blu Rays and hitting display on the soundbars remote it displays audio info on my TV Screen, but when using the TV's built in Apps such as VUDU I am unable to confirm the sound that is being output. It does sound pretty good so I guess it's decoding it correctly. Would like to hear from other owners and their thoughts on this unit. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2018, 12:19 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by akadennis View Post
This is my first official thread on here So I just received this unit today from AMAZON. After messing around with the settings for a few minutes (HDMI Signal Format, Sound effect, Subwoofer volume, Speaker distance and level settings) I can say that it sounds pretty good for a 2.1 soundbar and loud enough for my living room. I found the HT-ST5000 to powerful for my living environment. I like that the HT-X9000F decodes both DTS X and Dolby Atmos (not many do this) One down is that it only has one HDMI input. When playing UHD Blu Rays and hitting display on the soundbars remote it displays audio info on my TV Screen, but when using the TV's built in Apps such as VUDU I am unable to confirm the sound that is being output. It does sound pretty good so I guess it's decoding it correctly. Would like to hear from other owners and their thoughts on this unit. Thanks.
Does the display on the soundbar shows "Dolby Atmos" or "DTS-X" when you play related contents?
Old 04-14-2018, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by New_to_4K View Post
Does the display on the soundbar shows "Dolby Atmos" or "DTS-X" when you play related contents?
yes, but only for the HDMI In jack, and it displays on the TV, not the SB. I have my oppo UHD player connected to the HDMI in jack. Everything else is using the ARC function. Unfortunately audio information is not displayed for my other devices which use ARC.

Last edited by akadennis; 04-14-2018 at 01:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2018, 03:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
yes, but only for the HDMI In jack, and it displays on the TV, not the SB. I have my oppo UHD player connected to the HDMI in jack. Everything else is using the ARC function. Unfortunately audio information is not displayed for my other devices which use ARC.
Hmm... this is like the st5000. I'm waiting for my z9f with rears, probably will have same display mechanism.

Anyways enjoy!
Old 04-15-2018, 07:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 1887 Post(s)
Liked: 1084
ARC is not capable of DTS:X and Dolby True HD/Atmos. ARC can only do Atmos through compressed Dolby Digital Plus (DD+). Is your TV capable of outputting DD+ via ARC? Not all TVs can. If it is not you might only get regular DD, DTS or stereo PCM through ARC.
Old 04-15-2018, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellebob View Post
ARC is not capable of DTS:X and Dolby True HD/Atmos. ARC can only do Atmos through compressed Dolby Digital Plus (DD+). Is your TV capable of outputting DD+ via ARC? Not all TVs can. If it is not you might only get regular DD, DTS or stereo PCM through ARC.
i believe it is, I have the LG C7 OLED. I just wish it would display the information on my screen like it does with the other HDMI input.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Quote:
i believe it is, I have the LG C7 OLED. I just wish it would display the information on my screen like it does with the other HDMI input.
I think it would tell you on the SB display when using ARC. I wonder why not? What does the "display" button on the remote do?
I'm looking at the Z9F and will not be happy if it has no way of giving me the audio info on the SB display!
Gerry

Sony XBR 75X940E - Sony Z9F 3.1 Soundbar - Sony UBP-X700 UHD BD Player - ATV 4K
Old 04-15-2018, 10:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 1887 Post(s)
Liked: 1084
On the other input is the TV displaying it or is it the Oppo?
Old 04-15-2018, 10:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Question- have you tried like a DD audio input to the SB and then listened with and without the "vertical S" activated? If so, what are your impressions as to how the claimed perception is working?
Gerry

Old 04-15-2018, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggw2000 View Post
I think it would tell you on the SB display when using ARC. I wonder why not? What does the "display" button on the remote do?
I'm looking at the Z9F and will not be happy if it has no way of giving me the audio info on the SB display!
Gerry
as i said, it only gives you the audio info from the device thats connected to the HDMI input (this unit only has one). in my case i have my oppo connected to this input and yes it does tell me when it's outputting atmos, dts x, etc. the info displays on the tv screen (not on the soundbar itself. All other devices which use the TV input on the soundbar do not display audio info. See below from manual.

Display - Displays playback information on TV Screen. Playback information is not displayed for TV input.
Old 04-15-2018, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Question- have you tried like a DD audio input to the SB and then listened with and without the "vertical S" activated? If so, what are your impressions as to how the claimed perception is working?
Gerry
I have, it's def sounds better with it on. I will say that. As far as the claimed perception I really can't say yet, need to listen to it some more. I am having some intermittent signal issues with both Dolby Vision and HDR10. I am using ULTRA premium certified HDMI cables so I don't think its my cables and the HDMI Ultra settings is active for both TV and Soundbar. This is probably not a keeper just because of that alone, very frustrating.
Old 04-15-2018, 01:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have, it's def sounds better with it on. I will say that. As far as the claimed perception I really can't say yet, need to listen to it some more. I am having some intermittent signal issues with both Dolby Vision and HDR10. I am using ULTRA premium certified HDMI cables so I don't think its my cables and the HDMI Ultra settings is active for both TV and Soundbar. This is probably not a keeper just because of that alone, very frustrating.
I assume that this is video issues with your oppo that is hooked to the HDMI port on SB. Try turning everything off and pull and reseat your HDMI cables. What exactly are you seeing as far as "signal issues"? Might want to try another HDMI cable also. Let us know.
Gerry

Old 04-15-2018, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I assume that this is video issues with your oppo that is hooked to the HDMI port on SB. Try turning everything off and pull and reseat your HDMI cables. What exactly are you seeing as far as "signal issues"? Might want to try another HDMI cable also. Let us know.
Gerry
Correct, but it's only with DV and HDR10. I'm basically getting the message no signal from my TV but I can hear the sound. Switching to the soundbar menu screen and back to the HDMI input from soundbar usually fixes it, still frustrating through. I have tried switching cables and pull and reinsert as well. I did not have this issue with their HTST5000 that I had for a few weeks. The one was just too powerful for my environment.
Old 04-15-2018, 01:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I was thinking of buying this SB, could be please maybe take a video of on-screen settings?

Even if it's 2.1, is vocal part good? 'Cause i had a Onkyo LS-3100 and i wasn't happy about the difference between action parts and vocal parts.

How is subwoofer?
Old 04-15-2018, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Gerry
from manual regarding display button on remote -
Display - Displays playback information on TV Screen. Playback information is not displayed for TV input.
Old 04-15-2018, 02:34 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked: 270
I am assuming the X900F TV can throw every mode of audio this soundbar says it can do...through ARC?

Paul

Sony X900F SDR and HDR Calibrations https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post57551552
Old 04-15-2018, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderegg View Post
I am assuming the X900F TV can throw every mode of audio this soundbar says it can do...through ARC?

Paul
Quote from Ellebob above ARC is not capable of DTS:X and Dolby True HD/Atmos. ARC can only do Atmos through compressed Dolby Digital Plus (DD+).
Old 04-17-2018, 11:26 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Quote:
Gerry
Correct, but it's only with DV and HDR10. I'm basically getting the message no signal from my TV but I can hear the sound. Switching to the soundbar menu screen and back to the HDMI input from soundbar usually fixes it, still frustrating through. I have tried switching cables and pull and reinsert as well. I did not have this issue with their HTST5000 that I had for a few weeks. The one was just too powerful for my environment.
I have exactly same issue with ht-zf9 soundbar...
Old 04-17-2018, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Wow, even Sony can't get 4K passthrough right?? When I demoed a bunch of different soundbars I was struck by how almost everything I tried had serious video passthrough issues. The ST5000 was solid & I assumed the new Sony stuff would be the same.

LG B7 65", PS4 Pro, Switch, Roku Premiere+, Samsung K8500, Sennheiser RS185
Denon X4400H, RSL CG23+CG3, Onkyo SKH-410, Emotiva BasX8 (5.1.4)
Old 04-17-2018, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member

Hmmm... saw a review on Amazon with HDMI issue on the X9000F.

Hopefully this is not the case with Sony Atmos bars this year.
Old 04-17-2018, 12:51 PM

Something is really wrong. Blu Ray works, Ps4 with sound and no visuals... Tv shows no signal, going to soundbar home and selecting hdmi manually doesn't work...
Old 04-17-2018, 02:35 PM

At this point i'm sure that ht-zf9 can't passthrough 4k signal... Did all tests and ony Mode that works is full HD or standard 4k.
Old 04-17-2018, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koowall View Post
I have exactly same issue with ht-zf9 soundbar...
This sucks, guess I’ll cancel my zf9 order. Unbelievable that last years model had no pass through issue and this years has this issue.
Old 04-17-2018, 06:28 PM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
This sucks, guess I’ll cancel my zf9 order. Unbelievable that last years model had no pass through issue and this years has this issue.

Your going to cancel your order before you even try it yourself? seems a little strange. There could be any number of factors as to why he is having an issue. Maybe a bad hdmi cable? maybe just a bad unit. I can't honestly see this being a problem without further investigation, especially if last years models had no issue.
Old 04-18-2018, 12:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubtoad View Post
Your going to cancel your order before you even try it yourself? seems a little strange. There could be any number of factors as to why he is having an issue. Maybe a bad hdmi cable? maybe just a bad unit. I can't honestly see this being a problem without further investigation, especially if last years models had no issue.
i currently have the HT-X9000F and have tried several things, switching hdmi cables, HDMI-CEC settings on TV and the oppo player, hard reset, etc. Nothing works. It may very well be a bad unit. You know how a movie in Dolby Vision or HDR10 starts from warnings, previews, movie rating, etc? everytime there is a chapter skip from warning to preview the dolby vision logo would pop in and out until the movie starts. On the soundbar when this happens you lose the signal and all you hear is sound. I did find a workaround that i use, once I get to the menu instead of selecting play I select chapter 1 therefore skipping the warning messages, this seems to work. I have not cancelled yet but i have a feeling i'm going to have the same issue. I'm curious if other users with the LG OLED and OPPO UHD player are having the same issue.

Last edited by akadennis; 04-18-2018 at 03:18 AM.
Old 04-18-2018, 03:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

i honestly cannot wait until HDMI 2.1 arrives with eARC, hopefully these issues will be a thing of the past but I doubt it :-)
Ellebob likes this.

LG OLED65C7P / LG UP970 / Oppo UDP-203 / Sony HT-Z9F/SA-Z9R / Apple TV 4K / Fire TV Stick 4K / TCL 55P605
Old 04-18-2018, 03:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
i currently have the HT-X9000F and have tried several things, switching hdmi cables, HDMI-CEC settings on TV and the oppo player, hard reset, etc. Nothing works. It may very well be a bad unit. You know how a movie in Dolby Vision or HDR10 starts from warnings, previews, movie rating, etc? everytime there is a chapter skip from warning to preview the dolby vision logo would pop in and out until the movie starts. On the soundbar when this happens you lose the signal and all you hear is sound. I did find a workaround that i use, once I get to the menu instead of selecting play I select chapter 1 therefore skipping the warning messages, this seems to work. I have not cancelled yet but i have a feeling i'm going to have the same issue. I'm curious if other users with the LG OLED and OPPO UHD player are having the same issue.
Do you have direct hdmi connection from oppo to oled? What is your hdmi connection setup?
Old 04-18-2018, 04:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by New_to_4K View Post
Do you have direct hdmi connection from oppo to oled? What is your hdmi connection setup?
no, the connection is from oppo to soundbar HDMI input, and the other connection is from the TV's HDMI Arc input to the soundbar HDMI TV Arc output.
Old 04-25-2018, 06:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 294
Quote:
no, the connection is from oppo to soundbar HDMI input, and the other connection is from the TV's HDMI Arc input to the soundbar HDMI TV Arc output.
Yep, seems Perfect!

Sony55A1E|Oppo 203|Sony Z9F Soundbar|ATV4K
Old 04-26-2018, 09:01 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Someone review this:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement