HEOS Introduces HomeCinema HS2 Soundbar with Alexa - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By dfa973
  • 1 Post By snyderkv

post #1 of 13 Old 04-18-2018, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 426 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8902 Post(s)
Liked: 15694
HEOS Releases HomeCinema HS2 Soundbar with Alexa

There's a new soundbar from HEOS, the wireless multi-room music ecosystem created by Denon. The HEOS HomeCinema HS2 soundbar ($799) is the company's first to offer Alexa voice control compatibility.

Thanks to the inclusion of Alexa, this new soundbar model lets users use voice commands to access music streaming services, change the volume level, choose tracks to play, and recognize a number of other commands utilizing the HEOS Home Entertainment Alexa Skill plus an Echo device. In case you're wondering, that means the sound bar does not have a microphone array built-in, it needs to be paired with a compatible device.

Of course, since it is a HEOS device, the HomeCinema HS2 works in concert with other HEOS devices to provide a multi-room wireless audio listening experience.

Click here to read more: HEOS Releases HomeCinema HS2 Soundbar with Alexa

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 04-18-2018 at 09:27 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-18-2018, 09:00 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
There's a new soundbar from HEOS, the wireless multi-room music ecosystem created by Denon. The HEOS Csoundbar ($799) is the company's first offer Alexa voice control compatibility.

Thanks to the inclusion of Alexa, this new soundbar model lets users use voice commands to access music streaming services, change the volume level, choose tracks to play, and recognize a number of other commands utilizing the HEOS Home Entertainment Alexa Skill plus an Echo device. In case you're wondering, that means the sound bar does not have a microphone array built-in, it needs to be paired with a compatible device.

Of course, since it is a HEOS device, the HomeCinema HS2 works in concert with other HEOS devices to provide a multi-room wireless audio listening experience.

This soundbar is a 2.1 system that comes with a wireless sub. On the Soundbar itself you'll find two tweeters, one on each side and paired with mid-woofers. Each driver gets its own class-D amp that in turn gets its signal from a 400MHz DSP engine. Meanwhile, the wireless sub depends on a pair of 5.25" drivers to deliver deep bass. The subwoofer is designed for either horizontal or vertical placement.

HEOS HomeCinema is CI-friendly and features IP control so it works with Control4, Crestron, RTI, URC and ELAN home automation systems.
Any plan for a review soon? not a fan of putting Alexa on soundbar but im interested to find out how does a Denon soundbar sound like. Used to have their avr and it was pretty good.
post #3 of 13 Old 04-18-2018, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 426 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8902 Post(s)
Liked: 15694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micarina View Post
Any plan for a review soon? not a fan of putting Alexa on soundbar but im interested to find out how does a Denon soundbar sound like. Used to have their avr and it was pretty good.
The chances are pretty good that I will get a review unit.

As for Alexa being built in, it's just Alexa control, they didn't build in the microphone. If you don't have an Echo device, it can't listen to you.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 04-18-2018, 09:27 AM

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
The chances are pretty good that I will get a review unit.

As for Alexa being built in, it's just Alexa control, they didn't build in the microphone. If you don't have an Echo device, it can't listen to you.

Nice one Mark. Keep us posted with your review.

My bad. I mistaken it as something like the Polk audio soundbar with Alexa built in. It makes more sense to speak to echo dot which probably nearer to you rather than shout across the living room to the soundbar. Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TV: LG OLED65C7P
Soundbar: Shockwafe Ultra 9.2 DTSX, "Looking for another set for bedroom"
Device: Amazon Fire TV Cube, Apple TV 4K, PS4 Pro, Xbox One X, Sony BluRay Player UBP-X800, Roku Ultra 4K,
post #5 of 13 Old 04-19-2018, 02:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked: 591
Convenient, none the less!

But at 799$ plus taxes you can buy a real 5.1 or a 5.1.2 setup, not just "better than TV speakers"...
hsinnott likes this.

"OFFICIAL" 2019 LG C9 Consolidated Info, FAQ, Troubleshooting, Firmware & more
LG 3D TV --- Denon AVR --- Wharfedale speakers --- Emotiva subs --- Media players: Intel NUC 8th & 7th gen i3's with Pulse-Eight internal HDMI-CEC adapters, Kodi on Win10, one remote to rule them all - the TV remote!
post #6 of 13 Old 04-19-2018, 09:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfa973 View Post
Convenient, none the less!

But at 799$ plus taxes you can buy a real 5.1 or a 5.1.2 setup, not just "better than TV speakers"...
Maybe because price has nothing to do with the purchase and has more to do with convenience, no wire mess etc. Will this forever be the argument against soundbars? I'd rather have a great soundbar than a crappy surround system anyways.
nathanddrews likes this.
post #7 of 13 Old 04-19-2018, 11:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by snyderkv View Post
Maybe because price has nothing to do with the purchase and has more to do with convenience, no wire mess etc. Will this forever be the argument against soundbars? I'd rather have a great soundbar than a crappy surround system anyways.
QFT
It can't be stated enough, really.
Spoiler!
post #8 of 13 Old 04-19-2018, 11:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 1887 Post(s)
Liked: 1084
There is no doubt for $800 you can get a better sounding surround system than any all in one sound bar but that is not what sound bars are about. A typical surround system has a lot more complexity in set up and wiring and not everyone want speakers all around.
post #9 of 13 Old 04-20-2018, 12:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked: 591
Quote:
You know, there are really very few "great soundbars"!
And those "great soundbars" are expensive, really expensive!

Common soundbars have really taken the place of HTiB systems of the past.
post #10 of 13 Old 04-20-2018, 04:23 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfa973 View Post
Common soundbars have really taken the place of HTiB systems of the past.
Yes, this is true. Both systems offer ease of setup and use, plus one benefit most valuable to me: no bulky receiver. I could live with a wiring project and speakers around the room. But a huge receiver is something my wife would despise. I've even thought about how I could hide a receiver somewhere, but then every adjustment becomes a pain.

Now that Soundbars are offering a level of audio processing that competes with HTiB, it's easy to see why they are overtaking that market. As soon as someone offers a center channel speaker that handles decoding and wireless transmission in a decent size and sounding discrete speaker package, then I'd be interested. Keeping my eye on that startup Enclave (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W972KB4..._kYC2AbCJPH87Y) because they have started down this road. At this point though, it doesn't look like their product is popular enough for any of the big players to take up a similar design.

Denon might come close with the Heos line soon though.
post #11 of 13 Old 04-23-2018, 05:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 977 Post(s)
Liked: 709
Quote:
Though I'm not anti soundbar, Consumer Reports rated 23 of them and not one had a rating above 61 out of 100. Whats worse is that many of the recent TVs are becoming much lower to the surface with very little bezel making it a pretty good chance that if you place your TV on a wide piece of furniture or stand, that Sound Bar will be blocking part of the TV or IR Sensor. I wish these TVs came with the option of higher stands. The Q9 looks to be 1 inch or so from the surface. Even my small center speaker Bose Acoustimass 10 is 3" high and I'm concerned about its placement when I get my next TV considering my TV sits on a wide piece of furniture. There is a shelf below it..though then it wouldn't be face level anymore. A soundbar would be too wide to sit on the shelf. I imagine a lot of folks are going to have this problem with soundbars on the newer TVs.
post #12 of 13 Old 04-23-2018, 08:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 1887 Post(s)
Liked: 1084
A lot of people need to use one of these to make the sound bar fit.
https://www.amazon.com/Fitueyes-Univ...tv+stand+mount
post #13 of 13 Old 08-12-2019, 02:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 10
no love for 3.1 or even 3.0? the center channel is important.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Tags
Denon , heos , homecinema