SJ9 versus SK10Y Observations - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 04-26-2018, 06:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 40
SJ9 versus SK10Y Observations

Just one opinion here but decided to upgrade due to lip sync issues using the SJ9 with C7 OLED. The 9 was a solid bar, but had the opportunity to upgrade at minimal cost and decided what the heck due to the 'Meridian' technology and the ability to EQ the up firing speakers. Couple of thoughts. While the new bar to me has a 'wider' soundstage, vocals/speech in movies and or regular tv channels is drowned out and is not as present or clear as it was in the SJ9. Have played around w all the settings as I'm familiar with them as most are the same as was in the SJ9, but no luck. Speech is a problem, at least for me. While the owners manual indicates the ability to tweak 'each speaker" the only adjustments that are available is sub and up speaker volume, as well as treble and bass. What's really needed here is the ability to push more volume to the "center". Going to hold on to the unit as overall its a solid performer, but whether its the Meridian technology or simply more watts per speaker versus the SJ9, speech/vocals are compromised in this new unit. Hoping a firmware update is being considered as I've read others on the LG site raising the same issue. Last point, the lip sync issue is still there using HDMI ARC TV to Soundbar, though it doesn't seem to be "as bad" or noticeable with the 10 compared to the 9.
paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-27-2018, 02:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Hi,

Based on this review: www techradar.com/reviews/lg-sk10y (i can't post links yet)

The SK10Y has been built around the standard Dolby DAP chipset, and includes features common to that, namely a dialogue enhancer, volume leveler and volume modeler. The latter is used to maintain levels of bass, even when volume levels are decreased. It prevents the audio stage wimping out when sensible listening levels are applied.

Can you check if this something that is manually adjustable? or perhaps it should be working with those buil-in presets (audio, music etc...)

regards,
post #3 of 8 Old 04-27-2018, 04:16 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Is there no "voice" button or something like that? Im glad i have that on my zf9(can ramp ab voices in 2 steps)
While voices are clear they are sometimes a bit silent compared to the rest.
Can be a problem if its late and u cant ramp up the overall volume.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 04-27-2018, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter

[QUOTE=loco_chico;56102270]Hi,

Based on this review: www techradar.com/reviews/lg-sk10y (i can't post links yet)

The SK10Y has been built around the standard Dolby DAP chipset, and includes features common to that, namely a dialogue enhancer, volume leveler and volume modeler. The latter is used to maintain levels of bass, even when volume levels are decreased. It prevents the audio stage wimping out when sensible listening levels are applied.

Can you check if this something that is manually adjustable? or perhaps it should be working with those buil-in presets (audio, music etc...)

There is no adjustment to dialogue or center speaker volume
In any of the settings, would be beneficial but not there.
post #5 of 8 Old 04-27-2018, 06:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danic99 View Post
Is there no "voice" button or something like that? Im glad i have that on my zf9(can ramp ab voices in 2 steps)
While voices are clear they are sometimes a bit silent compared to the rest.
Can be a problem if its late and u cant ramp up the overall volume.
No Sir. Unfortunately coming from a ZVOX base
Which has vocal adjustment capability the SK10Y
Sounds very muffled and not nearly as crisp
Or present when watching content. I’ve read others
Mention the same issue on LG’s website.
post #6 of 8 Old 05-18-2018, 03:46 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul douglas View Post
Just one opinion here but decided to upgrade due to lip sync issues using the SJ9 with C7 OLED. The 9 was a solid bar, but had the opportunity to upgrade at minimal cost and decided what the heck due to the 'Meridian' technology and the ability to EQ the up firing speakers. Couple of thoughts. While the new bar to me has a 'wider' soundstage, vocals/speech in movies and or regular tv channels is drowned out and is not as present or clear as it was in the SJ9. Have played around w all the settings as I'm familiar with them as most are the same as was in the SJ9, but no luck. Speech is a problem, at least for me. While the owners manual indicates the ability to tweak 'each speaker" the only adjustments that are available is sub and up speaker volume, as well as treble and bass. What's really needed here is the ability to push more volume to the "center". Going to hold on to the unit as overall its a solid performer, but whether its the Meridian technology or simply more watts per speaker versus the SJ9, speech/vocals are compromised in this new unit. Hoping a firmware update is being considered as I've read others on the LG site raising the same issue. Last point, the lip sync issue is still there using HDMI ARC TV to Soundbar, though it doesn't seem to be "as bad" or noticeable with the 10 compared to the 9.
paul
I believe the lip-sync issue's fix was released by LG last October in a TV FW Upgrade. It happens when you pass audio (especially high bandwidth ATMOS signal) through ARC
post #7 of 8 Old 05-20-2018, 03:11 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul douglas View Post
paul
Is there any way to tweak the settings using the LG Wifi App? Just like the SJ9 has more options with the App than using the remote control.
post #8 of 8 Old 05-20-2018, 03:52 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 621 Post(s)
Liked: 213
There's an app for SK10Y, but it does not have setting for center channel.

Sony 65 A9F, LG 65 E9
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page