JBL 5.1 Soundbar self-muting problem - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 06-12-2018, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
JBL 5.1 Soundbar self-muting problem

I know this is a long shot because there probably aren't that many of these new soundbars out there. JBL tech support was no help as it "is not a known problem".

The problem is that on an intermittent basis, the soundbar will mute and the only way to get sound is to hold down either the volume up or down buttons continuously. Of course, this just makes the volume raise or lower till you release it, and then there is no sound.

The only solution I've found is to cycle the source (input) from the HDMI 1 Arc source though all the sources and back to the HDMI 1 Arc source, then the sound returns normally.

Any input on how to fix this or identify the problem would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-10-2020, 04:04 AM

Hello,
I know this thread is 2 years old but I wanted to up this because i have the same problem.
My soundbar 5.1 mutes itself when i turn my sony smart tv on first time. You cannot unmute, it immediately mutes itself again and the only solution is to cycle through sources, it comes back to normal.

What could be the reason and solution for this problem?
post #3 of 3 Old 04-10-2020, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter

muting problem and solutions

I've had this problem with 3 different JBL 5.1 soundbars. They always told me I'm the only one to report that - so if they told you that too, they're lying! Here are some things you might try - check the troubleshooting section and follow those steps - might give you temporary relief. Also, consider switching the input from HDMI Arc to Optical. That fixed the problem for me, but gave me different ones like not being able to use my TV and Cable remotes to change the volume or mute - they work sporadically (sometimes the mute won't unmute, or turning the volume up makes the volume go down). Let me know if you find a solution that works - thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Tags
Jbl , mute , soundbar , source

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page