Using an Oppo to add a(nother) subwoofer to a soundbar - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 36Likes

post #31 of 88 Old 06-30-2018, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntxoa View Post
AVRKey set to full HDMI Audio doesn’t allow Atmos from the Xbox to the Oppo?

I just started looking into spoofing Edids through hardware or software in hopes of making it work.
I'll try to get to that tomorrow. I didn't try the avr key between xbox and oppo. If it worked well then I'd have to probably buy another one.

HDMI Gone Wild - Audio HDMI Chains: (min. upmixed Atmos) Sony X700(Vudu, etc.)
Oppo UDP-203-->LG OLED65B7 and SamsungK950 (4K Atmos discs and files + 2 more subs!)
XboxOneS-->K950 (DTS discs, 2K files, Fandango 2K DTSHD)
ATV4K-->AVRkey-->XboxOneS-->K950 (iTunes and Vudu atmos, &Infuse - dd5.1)
Roku Premiere+-->Oppo UDP-203-->K950(Fandango and MA HDR, DD+)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 88 Old 07-02-2018, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
AVRKey set to full HDMI Audio doesn’t allow Atmos from the Xbox to the Oppo?

I just started looking into spoofing Edids through hardware or software in hopes of making it work.
I've really been delayed on this because I've been putting together the final pieces of controlling my rig with a harmony 665 remote (final pieces ordered this weekend are 12 more hdmi cables for a total of 20, another switch for a total of three hdmi switches, and two hdmi splitters.)

My thoughts:
1. The hdmi splitters might solve the problem. Often they are used in line to not to split, but to just overcome hdcp 2.2 errors. They might be able to be used at the output of the Xbox One so say one end goes to a splitter that goes direct to the soundbar and the other goes to the Oppo and this might make the Oppo accept Atmos from the Xbox.

2. I reported trouble above with the ATV4K through the AVR Key and then to the Oppo. As I think about this I'm surprised by the result. I know originally I put the ATV4K through the Oppo and it did take the dd5.1 and the Oppo bitstreamed it onto the Xbox. Sending dd5.1 through the Oppo before upmixing is probably just fine for our purposes as I assume Atmos upmixing is not doing anything really fancy in the 20-40 hz subwoofer range. And as I think about it more and some quick research... "If you have bass management working in the oppo, it will generate an LFE channel from the 2.0 source based upon your crossover frequency. The oppo will then output 2.1 through the analog outputs." But this doesn't help with multi-channel I expect ; if the Oppo says its getting 2 channel LPCM then its forcing the Xbox to get it. Still its something, but for me I'm not firing up tubes and my sub to add more oomph to stereo tv (please directv now start doing multichannel.)

Aside: one of the more interesting things with the ATV4K and Infuse on dd5.1 is that often it can take Dolby 2.0 and mix it to dd5.1 which the Xbox just goes bonkers upmixing. The horror movie Opera (from 1973) has Dolby 2.0 and with the Oppo it was flaky whether it would do LPCM or dd5.1. If you got it to do 5.1 the track was transformed. In one of the scenes a huge light bank is cut lose and drops to the floor of the Opera house. If you just send that track straight to the Samsung K950 it only upmixes to the fronts. With dd5.1 into the Xbox's Access upmixer well it sounds like an amazing cacophony crashing down from the ceiling. LOL if could add the sub on top of that. If you can get DD2.0 to Atmos 5.1.4 or above well its just the biggest improvement I've ever hearding from upmixing.

EDID spoofing? First time I looked, but maybe this is the answer:
https://www.hdfury.com/product/integ...60-444-600mhz/

Oppo UDP-203-->LG OLED65B7 and SamsungK950 (4K Atmos discs and files + 2 more subs!)
post #33 of 88 Old 07-04-2018, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

On the splitter front the Simple.Fly looks and works great so far for me and only $8.99.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So far means I've split the HDMI audio output from my Sony X700 between my soundbar and the xbox input. Had a remote for hdmi switch that had the output of Xbox coming too out so I could jump back and forth between Xbox upmixing and original track and so really this is just an initial great result. Quite a relief as the next option was $25 a unit and I need two splitters in my system. I've not tested with video, but it is only rated for [email protected] with 24bit RGB/YcbCR 4:4:4/YCBCR 4:2:2 so I know Vudu Dolby Vision from my X700 which is 60HZ is a no go. I will try it with my ATV4K which matches frame rate. The Simple.Fly would be an amazing device if it somehow could do the job of the $150 HDfury AVR Key in some situations.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 88 Old 07-04-2018, 12:13 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by meles View Post
On the splitter front the Simple.Fly looks and works great so far for me and only $8.99.

So far means I've split the HDMI audio output from my Sony X700 between my soundbar and the xbox input. Had a remote for hdmi switch that had the output of Xbox coming too out so I could jump back and forth between Xbox upmixing and original track and so really this is just an initial great result. Quite a relief as the next option was $25 a unit and I need two splitters in my system. I've not tested with video, but it is only rated for [email protected] with 24bit RGB/YcbCR 4:4:4/YCBCR 4:2:2 so I know Vudu Dolby Vision from my X700 which is 60HZ is a no go. I will try it with my ATV4K which matches frame rate. The Simple.Fly would be an amazing device if it somehow could do the job of the $150 HDfury AVR Key in some situations.
Interesting!

If you split the xbox hdmi and run one output to the soundbar and the other to the Oppo, can you get Atmos from the soundbar and analog LFE from the Oppo?
meles likes this.

Nvidia Shield - Zidoo X9S - HTPC/MPC-HC
Oppo 203 - Samsung HW-N950 - 7.2.4
LG 86UH9500
post #35 of 88 Old 07-04-2018, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Interesting!

If you split the xbox hdmi and run one output to the soundbar and the other to the Oppo, can you get Atmos from the soundbar and analog LFE from the Oppo?
I've got one fly in the ointment as I've broken one of xbox inputs so I can't do that, but who knows it may work. I may try it.

So based on your experience a Windows 10 machine using the Access App would be in the same boat as the Xbox? (i.e. won't work with Oppo input). My hdmi is permanently gone on my HTPC laptop.

I may test the Fly splitter more today.

post #36 of 88 Old 07-04-2018, 04:56 PM

Quote:
I've got one fly in the ointment as I've broken one of xbox inputs so I can't do that, but who knows it may work. I may try it.
Sorry. I meant to split the HDMI Out from the Xbox. Then send one to the K950, and the other to the Oppo.

It would be great if the soundbar could produce Atmos while the Oppo handled the extra subwoofer.

Quote:
So based on your experience a Windows 10 machine using the Access App would be in the same boat as the Xbox? (i.e. won't work with Oppo input). My hdmi is permanently gone on my HTPC laptop.
Yes, PC and Xbox are using the Dolby Access app and having the same problems trying to go through the Oppo.

It may relate to PCM/MAT which also affects the ATV4K.

Scarabaeus posted some good info here:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-b...l#post56415492

LG 86UH9500
post #37 of 88 Old 07-04-2018, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Sorry. I meant to split the HDMI Out from the Xbox. Then send one to the K950, and the other to the Oppo.

It would be great if the soundbar could produce Atmos while the Oppo handled the extra subwoofer.

Yes, PC and Xbox are using the Dolby Access app and having the same problems trying to go through the Oppo.

It may relate to PCM/MAT which also affects the ATV4K.

Scarabaeus posted some good info here:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-b...l#post56415492
More testing LOL as I'm on the beta of ATV4K and most of the Vudu stuff does work. I'm definitely going to explore. Frankly I've not seen a lot of discussion anywhere on the whyfors and whithertos of when the Dolby Access App will upmix. Directly feeding the Samsung K950 it absolutely does it with stunning results.

With our Oppo sub it seems fine to have the Xbox after the Oppo if upmixing is needed. The amount of bass coming out of the Oppo's sub output might be truly dangerous if fed upmixed Atmos. I'm already panicing as the movie Mother was a real mother with bursts of low frequency energy. Jorodosky's Dune upmixed has me in fear for the K950's sub. We could have a real loaded subsonic gun here if we ever pull this off. (By the way greatly enjoyed watching Saving Private Ryan in dolby vision with the subs, not too dangerous, but really added something to the upmixed listening experience.)

post #38 of 88 Old 07-04-2018, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I'm kind of posting as I go like notes. The Fly splitter was an absolute failure in place of the HDFury Avr Key. It caused the ATV4K to switch to 1080p SDR mode and 4K was not an option in the settings, so this device does not work as video splitter with ATV4K.

It did deliver big time as an audio splitter/spoofer. With ATV4K feeding AVR Key and then the splitter on the audio out of the AVR, it was able to get the ATV4K to reliably deliver DD5.1 to the Xbox for upmixing. I've had a lot of trouble with the ATV4K sometimes electing to send two channel LPCM to the Xbox via the Oppo. This means I can use Oppo extra subwoofer base with my normal ATV4K setup.

Now for the fun part, I've got the Atmos beta of the ATV4K and I'm going to see how it reacts. My last time with the beta was pretty much a train wreck. On the positive side Vudu Atmos worked well if a bit glitchy (app not stable). However with the Infuse App for file playback set to passthrough and the ATV4K on auto (Atmos available) it was a trainwreck with DTSHD being sent as some kind of weird static and generally dolby truehd Atmos causing the software to fail with error message and of course lots of 2 channel LPCM. I would swear that sometimes I was able to get dolby truehd core out to my soundbar, but my attempt to reproduce these results failed. So I'm going to switch the settings for Atmos and try again.....:
1. Incredibles in Atmos and Vision played back lighting up the Samsung K950s light. Usable, but still a bit unstable.
2. Switching to the Xbox for upmixing of the DD+ core was a no go, no audio at all on the output of the Oppo even with the xbox bypassed. The Oppo indicated it was receiving LPCM 2 channel. It appears that for the current beta of the ATV4K that sending Atmos to the Oppo and subs not going to work.
3. Next up bypassing Oppo and ATV4K Atmos direct to the Xbox....no sound at all. Even when removing the Fly splitter and sending the audio direct to the Xbox, nothing. No sound. At this stage it looks like one needs to manually toggle the ATV4K beta settings for Atmos if going direct to the K950 with Atmos and DD5.1 if going to Oppo and then the Xbox for upmixing.
4. Infuse app Atmos playback is still a trainwreck. Normal infuse operation resumed with it set on Auto and ATV4K on the change format setting (to DD5.1). Infuse is an awesome app and probably sells quite a few ATV4Ks so hopefully something will be worked out.

That's enough testing for one post. More to come later.

Last edited by meles; 07-04-2018 at 10:59 PM.
post #39 of 88 Old 07-04-2018, 10:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

It would be great if the soundbar could produce Atmos while the Oppo handled the extra subwoofer.....
Well now I'm going to set the system up for the Xbox to feed the Oppo. The thing I like about this is for our soundbars the Xbox One S has its advantages:
1. VLC playback of media files with DTSHD MA for upmixing, a richer audio source than dd+ and dd5.1.
2. Playback of discs with DTSHD MA for even richer sound. With a normal disc player the best you can do is allow our Samsung K950 soundbars to accept this downmixed to plain DTS. The Xbox give you the double sonic whammy of actually using the DTSHD MA and upmixing it most impressively to Atmos.
3. An Xbox exclusive is also FandangoNow with DTSHD which of course the Xbox's Atmos app will upmix to Atmos. Curse FandangoNow for not having 4K HDR on the Xbox which would be a perfect match.

So with these strengths we have all the reason to want the Xbox to feed the Oppo which is a little perverse in my mind as I've always had the Oppo feeding the xbox. And with all other source devices (with the Fly splitter before the Oppo for the crabby ATV4K), they work well coming through the Oppo (and the extra sub trick of course) and then going to the Xbox if upmixing is needed for the HDMI on the way to the soundbar. Its only for the Xbox's unique native playback capabilities that we need it to feed the Oppo as well. So probably with hdmi switches and a harmony 665 remote one could run "activities" seemlessly where sometimes the Oppo feeds the Xbox and other times the Xbox feeds the Oppo.

The problem so far is that the Xbox won't feed the Oppo. To that end I'm going to set the Xbox up as the source and have it send audio through the fly splitter to the Oppo in the hopes that the audio will get through the Oppo. In theory the fly splitter should handle HDR so I'll try that and see if I can get HDR to come through without an AVR Key sending it directly to the TV. If it fails at this task I'll introduce the AVR Key into the chain as well. Results:
1. Well its no Suprise since the fly is only rated for 4K @ 30HZ that 4K 60HZ from the Xbox was a no go so now I have to bring in AVR key to split off video.....
2. Ok using the insects demo the AVR Key can of course split off the HDR video and produce sound direct to the soundbar through the Fly splitter and the hdmi switch, but completely dead with Oppo. To test the theory I set sound output to DTS on the Xbox instead of Atmos. (Interestingly the movie Joy sounded better on the K950's Sport setting than it did upmixed to Atmos which was a first for me... Peter Rabbit was garbage in DTSHD on sports and much better in DD+ Atmos or Upmixed Atmos, so YMMV by title it seems.) Well with the Xbox on DTS the Oppo was able to transmit sound identical to bypassing it straight to the soundbar. The problem for me with Joy is its an HDR title, but I'll have to try the straight DD+ from that on the HDR FandangoNow on my Roku Prem+ and of course it will be going through the Oppo for bass treatment.

Well the upshot of all this testing is basically the knowledge that I should sample every movie in Sport setting on Samsung K950 soundbar and upmixed to Atmos and I should have the Xbox with two sound options possible with the DTS through the Oppo with subs for Sport upmix on K950 soundbar being a new one, may prove superior some of the time (as in rarely) to upmixed Atmos. Oh no I've got to redraw my system diagram and probably buy more hdmi cables for this.

Last edited by meles; 07-04-2018 at 10:51 PM.
post #40 of 88 Old 07-05-2018, 09:57 AM

Quote:
1. Well its no Suprise since the fly is only rated for 4K @ 30HZ that 4K 60HZ from the Xbox was a no go so now I have to bring in AVR key to split off video.....
Specs say that the splitter can handle [email protected] 12bit YCBCR 4:2:0.

That doesn’t work for the ATV4K?

I only need it for 3D MKV, non 4k gaming, and Dolby Access on the PC.
meles likes this.

LG 86UH9500
post #41 of 88 Old 07-07-2018, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Specs say that the splitter can handle [email protected] 12bit YCBCR 4:2:0.

That doesn’t work for the ATV4K?

I only need it for 3D MKV, non 4k gaming, and Dolby Access on the PC.
Well sometimes people lie.

I thought it would work because K950 is rated only for 4:2:0 I believe, but no hdr. Both devices did not like the cheap splitter for video. You need hdr for 4k disc playback with dts-hd and other reasons noted in post a bit above.

I've got Revesum splitter on order from Amazon arriving Monday:
https://www.amazon.com/Revesun-Split...+hdmi+splitter

highly rated as spoofer. I'll report back on it.

post #42 of 88 Old 07-08-2018, 12:25 AM

Quote:
EDID spoofing? First time I looked, but maybe this is the answer:
https://www.hdfury.com/product/integ...60-444-600mhz/
Quote:
I've got Revesum splitter on order from Amazon arriving Monday:
https://www.amazon.com/Revesun-Split...+hdmi+splitter

highly rated as spoofer. I'll report back on it.
I’m thinking those won’t help.

Today I generated a monitor.inf file based on the PC directly connected to the K950.

I connected the PC back to the Oppo, and the Oppo to the K950. Then installed the .inf on the PC to use as an EDID override file.

With the EDID override, the PC thinks that the Oppo behaves exactly like the K950, and sends what it normally sends to the soundbar for Atmos.

TrueHD Atmos worked as usual. PCM/MAT, presumably what the Dolby Access app sends, did not work.

Oppo info did report seeing 7.1 LPCM and sending 2.0 LPCM. But looks like right now the Oppo just doesn’t know what to do with Atmos metadata when used with PCM.
meles likes this.

LG 86UH9500

Last edited by ntxoa; 07-08-2018 at 12:37 AM.
post #43 of 88 Old 07-08-2018, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I’m thinking those won’t help.

Today I generated a monitor.inf file based on the PC directly connected to the K950.

I connected the PC back to the Oppo, and the Oppo to the K950. Then installed the .inf on the PC to use as an EDID override file.

With the EDID override, the PC thinks that the Oppo behaves exactly like the K950, and sends what it normally sends to the soundbar for Atmos.

TrueHD Atmos worked as usual. PCM/MAT, presumably what the Dolby Access app sends, did not work.

Oppo info did report seeing 7.1 LPCM and sending 2.0 LPCM. But looks like right now the Oppo just doesn’t know what to do with Atmos metadata when used with PCM.
Excellent research and testing.

If the Oppo is seeing 7.1 LPCM does that then mean that it will output the sub channel over analog? With a good splitter, then one could send Atmos direct to the soundbar and the 7.1 LPCM to the Oppo and get the sub channel.

post #44 of 88 Old 07-08-2018, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter

@nxtoa here is my current system diagram before I mark it up for another hdmi cable order:

This monstrosity will be controlled by Harmony 665 10 device remote using tips to have simple devices not take up device slots (https://bevhoward.com/Misc/IR/Harmon....html#DevLimit). I considered 15 device Harmony Elite which can be had refurbed for under $200 which has a hub for more reliable device control and potential to add Alexa voice control device, but ultimately the eventual hassle of replacing its rechargeable lithium batteries scared me from its purchase. The Harmony's Activities will allow the beast to be completely tamed and easy to use.

All of the video goes pretty much direct to my LG TV separate from the audio and is easy to see in the diagram (ATV4K uses AVR Key splitter and Xbox sends video through Soundbar to TV via hdmi arc.) No audio comes from the TV to the soundbar. (Have you disabled ARC on your K950?)

Main 4K Component roles:
1. ATV4K (iTunes, Infuse for 4K non-Atmos files, Vimeo) - atmos dd5.1 sent to Oppo/Xbox for Atmos upmixing and sub. Potential future Atmos use via audio split direct to soundbar and subwoofer extracted by Oppo.

2. Xbox One S (insects demo, Netflix HDR/Atmos, FandangoNow DTSHD (HD video only), DTSHD 4K disc playback, non-Atmos bluray playback, HD file playback) - via its input is the Atmos upmixer for the system. Its main role is for DTS HD playback which it upmixes to Atmos. Doesn't play 4K files. (For those who want the best fidelity for HDR/DTS content disc playback an option on this, but the Oppo will have better video quality).

3. Sony UBP-X700 (Vudu DV/Atmos playback, youtube HDR, Amazon HDR/DD+, Netflix DV/upmixed Atmos) - note that this unit has some file playback capabilities.

4. Roku Prem+ (FandangoNow HDR) - this unit works well with Oppo's hdmi input. HDR iTunes titles that port to FandangoNow get DD+ sound output instead of dd5.1 and the Roku also seems to play HD Fandango content better than most any other service/device combo.

5. Oppo (4K disc and file playback) - not great for DTSHD as its only does DTS and Xbox won't even accept this format for upmixing. On Samsung K950 Sport audio mode does a great job with DTS and best option for DV/DTSHD playback. The Oppo of course also provides the analog subwoofer for the extra subs and some form of signal for every source must come through its hdmi input.

6. The Toshiba and Pioneer are disc players and for non-4K dolby Atmos blurays (not common) may use Pioneer as its rumored to exceed Oppo's video quality. Regular bluray playback only gets DTS direct to the soundbar vs the Xbox's upmixing of DTS-HD MA to Atmos. The better overall combo may vary from disc to disc as the Xbox does not seem the best disc player based on my casual experience. The Toshiba handles some defunct HD DVDs I own which often had Dolby TrueHD tracks which the Xbox hdmi input will accept in full fidelity. I didn't get an HDMI input with enough switches so this and the Pioneer will share one cable to switch back and forth which is OK as one has to put the disc in the tray. If I end up needing a third hdmi switch for some reason I'll get one with more inputs.

My hope with all of these is to get every source able to send some kind of signal via hdmi to the Oppo for the extra subs. The oddest solution is the Revesun splitter as it looks like it sets up an hdmi loop involving the Xbox and the Oppo, but its purpose is to get signal only to the extra subwoofer when playing back from the Xbox itself. If the system had the needed 6 hdmi input switch it would have a total of 20 hdmi cables.

post #45 of 88 Old 07-08-2018, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Excellent research and testing.

If the Oppo is seeing 7.1 LPCM does that then mean that it will output the sub channel over analog? With a good splitter, then one could send Atmos direct to the soundbar and the 7.1 LPCM to the Oppo and get the sub channel.
That is my next test.

The Simple Fly splitter arrived yesterday. I’m hoping the analog SW channel works.
meles likes this.

LG 86UH9500
post #46 of 88 Old 07-08-2018, 01:24 PM

Quote:
@nxtoa here is my current system diagram before I mark it up for another hdmi cable order:
[...]
My hope with all of these is to get every source able to send some kind of signal via hdmi to the Oppo for the extra subs.
Funny. I have a similar diagram in front of me as well. Not as complicated though because I have just the PC and Shield to integrate.

Ideally, I want to have the Oppo sub/shakers working for any type of Atmos content.
meles likes this.

LG 86UH9500
post #47 of 88 Old 07-08-2018, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Funny. I have a similar diagram in front of me as well. Not as complicated though because I have just the PC and Shield to integrate.

Ideally, I want to have the Oppo sub/shakers working for any type of Atmos content.
What do you use the Shield for? I thought about getting one for file playback, but glad I have Oppo and cough, cough dolby vision folder playback.

post #48 of 88 Old 07-08-2018, 07:37 PM

Quote:
What do you use the Shield for? I thought about getting one for file playback, but glad I have Oppo and cough, cough dolby vision folder playback.
I like the Shield for Vudu UHD DD+ Atmos, Amazon UHD HDR video, Youtube, SPMC/Kodi, GeForce Now games (Nvidia made it all free recently).

It does Netflix, but I don’t use that.

Plex or Kodi is good for local files. I tinkered a bit, but haven’t done much on that. I should try Plex again. There was a recent update on the Shield that allows Plex media metadata to store on Shield USB memory. Before that, internal memory limited library size. Don’t remember what were the HDR and Atmos capabilities for Plex on Shield through Oppo.

LG 86UH9500
post #49 of 88 Old 07-09-2018, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Tried the splitter but couldn’t get it to send anything out either port. Not even 1080p 23.976hz.
meles likes this.

LG 86UH9500
post #50 of 88 Old 07-09-2018, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Tried the splitter but couldn’t get it to send anything out either port. Not even 1080p 23.976hz.
Ugh. My nicer splitter arrived today, but no time to test. For my setup I'm using the cheap Fly for splitting the audio output from the AVR Key and the Oppo. I'm pretty sure I tested in both positions. (Should have written a test plan or something for this system lol.)

Fedex tracking shows my monoprice cable coming in. I also just got an 8 port lan router for all my devices and some nice overspec cat 6 cables so I can have all those neatly layed out. Only $50 for 14 hdmi cables and 6 Cat6 cables. The system goes together this weekend!

post #51 of 88 Old 07-09-2018, 09:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
That is really surprising. I wonder if somehow having ARC shut off on my K950 accounts for the different results. You know my components so let me know if you want to run a specific test and I can try with mine. I wonder if your unit is defective.

post #52 of 88 Old 07-10-2018, 12:51 PM

I don't use arc either.

Probably defective splitter. I saw an Amazon review from someone with the same problem. Lights but no signal.

I think you tried already, but I'd like to find out if Xbox/PC audio split to the Oppo and K950 gives both Oppo LFE Out and K950 Atmos.

I'm going to retry EDID override to see if I can get PC->Oppo->LFE.

Thx.
meles likes this.

LG 86UH9500
post #53 of 88 Old 07-10-2018, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I don't use arc either.

Probably defective splitter. I saw an Amazon review from someone with the same problem. Lights but no signal.

I think you tried already, but I'd like to find out if Xbox/PC audio split to the Oppo and K950 gives both Oppo LFE Out and K950 Atmos.

I'm going to retry EDID override to see if I can get PC->Oppo->LFE.

Thx.
I sort of use ARC as sometimes my xbox sends video to the TV, but when I toggle through the inputs on K950 I don't even have the hdmi-arc port as an option. If you still have this option it might be the source of different behavior. ARC was driving me bananas from my pre Harmony days when I had CEC on so if I handled a remote it would switch the TV input to the device. This also caused the K950 to switch to ARC and drove me nuts. I am foggy on details, but was on with Samsung support about a solution and they had none, but got them to help me with turning off CEC on K950. While on the phone with them turning off CEC appeared to be the cause of hdmi-arc option going away. It was a pleasant surprise.

I've got some other stuff calling my brain (troubleshooting Mercedes AC that is out), but I do need to play with the new toys some more soon so I'll try to test.

Do you know about over the air HDTV and multi-channel sound. Right now I just use my TV speakers for over the air and I'm too cheap to get a separate tuner and up my hdmi cable count. This whole area has kind of driven me crackers as I've heard my Tennis TV ATV4K app output more than two channel sound to the Xbox to upmixing and well the crowd sounds are amazing. Would swear that even HGTV once did it on direct tv now. The best source is true multi-channel. I have a Dolby 2.0 copy of the movie Opera which sounds like the two channel 1973 movie it is (exacerbated by K950's wimpy front speakers without the sub). Somehow the ATV4K can sometimes gets this to dd5.1 (my ATV4K is set to only output dd5.1, but it does two channel all the time for most things on Directv now). So with Opera the dd2.0 to dd5.1 to Atmos upmix is stunningly improved and that may be what was happening when I heard the tennis crowd sounds. Your thoughts on broadcast 5.1 and ways to trick the ATV4K into not outputing 2 channel sound? (it somehow detects what is on the other end.)

post #54 of 88 Old 07-11-2018, 10:31 AM

I turned off CEC/ARC because of too many quirks.

I don't do much OTA, but have it set up to use the tv tuner.

I have the tv going to the K950 optical port. That will do up to DD 5.1.

That worked for broadcast and when I had the Xbox directly connected to the tv.
meles likes this.

LG 86UH9500
post #55 of 88 Old 07-11-2018, 10:32 AM

IIRC, broadcast 5.1 might go to 2.0 because of weak signal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
meles likes this.

LG 86UH9500
post #56 of 88 Old 07-11-2018, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I turned off CEC/ARC because of too many quirks.

I don't do much OTA, but have it set up to use the tv tuner.

I have the tv going to the K950 optical port. That will do up to DD 5.1.

That worked for broadcast and when I had the Xbox directly connected to the tv.
Hoping I haven't damaged my optical cable I have around, so I'll have to try that.

The new splitter is no better than the Fly on the output of the Xbox. It won't pass 4K HDR and on those grounds I'm returning it to Amazon. Every time I plug the Oppo into the new splitter or the fly the party is over; will literary stop playing a movie in VLC. It appears our dream of sending any kind of audio from the Xbox to the Oppo is not possible. The new splitter had a tv setting switch which forced the xbox to hdmi stereo so no use.

My fly works on the output of the xbox, you just have to be sure to have it only on 1080p. Xbox works with DTS Surround setting only with the Oppo hooked to the Fly or directly to the Xbox.

For the Oppo subwoofer setup I'm thinking about a splitter that has a switch so video/audio only goes down one path. This would allow normal operation with the Oppo switched out. With the Oppo switched in one could be on DTS Surround. I'm not sure its worth so here is a list of what this would gain:
1. One could play DTS HD files, discs, and Fandango on Xbox and use the Oppo sub. I've heard a few selections that actually sound better sent to our Samsung K950 as DTS (no DTS HD for K950 input) with the upmix set to Sports over Dolby Access upmixing and you get the bonus of the extra sub to boot.
2. Without some even more deluxe splitter you lose HDR, but for me this is just the insects demo and Netflix HDR/Atmos; everything else I can play or do elsewhere.
3. For Fandango it may be that Roku playback with DD+ upmixed to Atmos may be better in most cases. For files mentioned in step one they can be played direct from the Oppo (better video) and send DTS to K950. The same is true of discs.

So in truth reviewing the above, this really comes down to DTS HD Fandango titles which are about 50% of their titles. Does one prefer a title via DTS and Sports mode on K950 or DD+ from the Roku upmixed to Atmos. On some titles DTS straight up against DD+ just sounds better (may be most titles). I've got a 1200 movie library accessible via FandangoNow so I believe I got some cork sniffing ahead of me and will probably have to do it on every movie. I'll also need to shoot out DTSHD upmixed on the Xbox to the K950 without the sub at all for further cork sniffing options (and this would include file playback). Good thing I'm going to have this all on the Harmony with easy buttons to switch modes.

I think I'm just going to go with a third fly splitter or maybe another hdr splitter for the cork sniffing fun of it. I already prefer the sound of Lost In Space from Netflix upmixed to Atmos over its original Atmos sound and Netflix just started doing Atmos (Altered Carbon another nice one.) For me these are Dolby Vision from other devices so using the Xbox for just HDR not great either. A 3rd Fly splitter may be enough.

Any of these look promising:
https://www.amazon.com/SIIG-HDMI-Spl...itter+hdcp+2.2

This has a review that says it works with Xbox one X. I'm not sure its worth $60 to me to retain HDR basically for kicks.

post #57 of 88 Old 07-11-2018, 08:47 PM

Quote:
For the Oppo subwoofer setup I'm thinking about a splitter that has a switch so video/audio only goes down one path. This would allow normal operation with the Oppo switched out. With the Oppo switched in one could be on DTS Surround. I'm not sure its worth so here is a list of what this would gain:
I’ve been happy with K950 Sports mode for upmixing.

I have my switches set up to connect the PC and Shield to the Oppo.

DTS, DD, DD+/TrueHD Atmos get the extra sub that way.

I also can switch out the Oppo to have the PC go direct to the K950 so I can get PCM/MAT Atmos for games.

PCM/MAT Atmos with the extra sub is the missing piece for me.

The last reply I got from Oppo support said that they asked their engineers to add PCM/MAT Atmos support if possible.

I actually can get the extra sub with the games if I GameStream to the Shield connected to the Oppo. Unfortunately, GameStream doesn’t do Atmos. Only DD 5.1.

It’s a hard choice between better explosions or more immersive sound
meles likes this.

LG 86UH9500
post #58 of 88 Old 07-11-2018, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I’ve been happy with K950 Sports mode for upmixing.

I have my switches set up to connect the PC and Shield to the Oppo.

DTS, DD, DD+/TrueHD Atmos get the extra sub that way.

I also can switch out the Oppo to have the PC go direct to the K950 so I can get PCM/MAT Atmos for games.

PCM/MAT Atmos with the extra sub is the missing piece for me.

The last reply I got from Oppo support said that they asked their engineers to add PCM/MAT Atmos support if possible.

I actually can get the extra sub with the games if I GameStream to the Shield connected to the Oppo. Unfortunately, GameStream doesn’t do Atmos. Only DD 5.1.

It’s a hard choice between better explosions or more immersive sound
A shame you can't do both and just use the 0.1 for the Oppo sub.

Well its a shame I returned by UDP205 for the 203. The 205 has optical, coaxial and usb digital inputs. Maybe some kind of audio extractor might have been possible for the Oppo subwoofer.

post #59 of 88 Old 07-11-2018, 11:04 PM - Thread Starter

Red alert @ntxoa , this splitter has a lot of reviews praising Xbox performance:
https://www.amazon.com/gofanco-Proph...ct_top?ie=UTF8

$56 right now... and look at this picture:

Our dreams come true.

post #60 of 88 Old 07-12-2018, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter

Well my Xbox plans just went up in smoke @ntxoa . Just when I thought things were settled they've already got Dolby Vision in beta. For me this immediately gives me Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision on Netflix. On Vudu I suspect they'll still have a title problem like on Apple TV 4K (1/3rd missing Dolby Vision). I may have to get on beta as sony x700 is still in its return window, but does have 100% of Vudu DV titles.

My diagram just went up in smoke as I made need to add a switch in front of HDfury splitter for Xbox as right now I have it passing through sound bar and Samsung K950 will never do dolby vision especially with Samsung going off the HDR10+ cliff. I guess the Xbox would then share a video input on the tv and would utilized the same paths as the ATV4K. Good thing I just learned how to cram simple devices all into one of the 10 device slots on the harmony 665 as now I'm going to have four actual devices on my Dotstone 4 splitter in the Harmony.

Maybe I should just complete my device collection with the remote free chrome ultra on my new dolby vision splitter. I don't think I will as then I've got to use an Ipad or phone to cast control everything.

As I look at my diagram I now realize that doing this with another switch means I don't need that expensive splitter or any splitter above because the Xbox will be going through the AVRkey. I hope their are switches that handle Dolby Vision and just presume HDR 60hz 4K will do the job.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page