Using an Oppo to add a(nother) subwoofer to a soundbar - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 36Likes

post #61 of 88 Old 07-16-2018, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Fly splitters started acting up so they are out plus a 4x1 Dotstone switch that has trouble passing Atmos when fed by the Revesun splitter (keeping and likely to get another). Having two components on fritz was a troubleshooting delight.

HDMI Gone Wild - Audio HDMI Chains: (min. upmixed Atmos) Sony X700(Vudu, etc.)
Oppo UDP-203-->LG OLED65B7 and SamsungK950 (4K Atmos discs and files + 2 more subs!)
XboxOneS-->K950 (DTS discs, 2K files, Fandango 2K DTSHD)
ATV4K-->AVRkey-->XboxOneS-->K950 (iTunes and Vudu atmos, &Infuse - dd5.1)
Roku Premiere+-->Oppo UDP-203-->K950(Fandango and MA HDR, DD+)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 88 Old 08-14-2018, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter

@nxtoa getting closer.

I tried your full oppo processing setting with all the speakers set to 50 feet except the sub and it seemed to sync the bass better when playing stuff on the Oppo.

However with my ATV4K it introduced a huge lip sync issue so I've now got them on zero feet. I was shocked that these analog oppo settings affected the hdmi so much. Still can't quite believe it.

Any ideas on this weirdness. PIA to switch for different sources.

Oppo UDP-203-->LG OLED65B7 and SamsungK950 (4K Atmos discs and files + 2 more subs!)
post #63 of 88 Old 08-15-2018, 07:50 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 92
@meles Good on the progress.

I don’t have an ATV4K, and haven’t seen any lip sync issues with my other equipment.

Does it help to stop/pause and restart the stream or player?
meles likes this.

Nvidia Shield - Zidoo X9S - HTPC/MPC-HC
Oppo 203 - Samsung HW-N950 - 7.2.4
LG 86UH9500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 88 Old 08-15-2018, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntxoa View Post
@meles Good on the progress.

I don’t have an ATV4K, and haven’t seen any lip sync issues with my other equipment.

Does it help to stop/pause and restart the stream or player?
I did try that and even did a full shutdown/reboot. I'll fiddle with it some more. I also have Roku Prem+, Sony X700, and eventually the Xbox feeding the Oppo. (Once it has Dolby Vision and I find yet another switch for in front of my HDFury avr key). I'll fiddle with them. I'm just amazed the Oppo processing settings had such an impact on HDMI. Its actually kind of cool since my K950 Soundbar makes no allowances for speaker distance. It seems those processing setting affect anything touched by the Oppo. I'm going to have to do some testing. Right now I use splitters so audio sources go through the Oppo and are split. If the processing also improves hdmi Atmos by adjusting it for speaker distances then I'll need to move a splitter before the Oppo (which is the case with ATV4K) and try sources through the Oppo and not.

I didn't think this was possible. I'm going to post on this in Oppo owner's thread.

post #65 of 88 Old 09-10-2018, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

@ntxoa I've been thwarted by multichannel music playback in my system because my windows 10 laptop had the Dolby Access go belly up with hdmi (reimage required to recover!) and then broke the hdmi port on the laptop completely slamming the door. multi channel was great sounding upmixed to Atmos bordering on a revelation.

I just was puttering around with VLC on xbox and discovered it can playback DVD audio isos much to my surprise. Not the best interface and no track control with just ff through whole disc. Also plays flac. Very full fidelity with this option, but of course the Xbox Atmos output won't work with the Oppo for additional subwoofers.

I almost answering my question as I write this, but do you think the Oppo will pass Atmos upmixed by Dolby Access on a windows 10 box? Wish I could test it. It seems likely they are very similar, but the the Xbox may be a special implementation. I'm not aware of any means to output upmixed atmos via hdmi then the Xbox and a windows 10 box, but would lover to hear otherwise.

Our Samsung K950 is spectacular with multi-channel music upmixed to Atmos. Would love to here it with an extra Oppo driven sub. Is there a substitute device for what the Oppo does?

post #66 of 88 Old 09-10-2018, 08:10 PM

@meles

PC and Xbox both use the Dolby Access app that outputs Dolby MAT for Atmos.

Upmix works when directly connected to the soundbar, but not when going through the Oppo.

Alternate approach could be to open up the Samsung sub and split the speaker signal to another amp, but I went with the Oppo instead of doing any hacking on the equipment.
meles likes this.

LG 86UH9500
post #67 of 88 Old 09-10-2018, 10:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
@meles

PC and Xbox both use the Dolby Access app that outputs Dolby MAT for Atmos.

Upmix works when directly connected to the soundbar, but not when going through the Oppo.

Alternate approach could be to open up the Samsung sub and split the speaker signal to another amp, but I went with the Oppo instead of doing any hacking on the equipment.
Afraid you'd say this. I'm not hacking the Samsung sub either.

I think I may have a theoretical solution. Just get windows 10 box with Dolby access and somehow get it to do analog out for the sub with hdmi. This probably violates hdcp hdmi protocols, but I have faith in the Chinese companies to violate these rules.

post #68 of 88 Old 09-11-2018, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

Delete

post #69 of 88 Old 09-12-2018, 10:12 AM

@meles

I’m tempted to open up the K950 sub to try this:

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_543ADP...CABEgL5f_D_BwE
meles likes this.

LG 86UH9500
post #70 of 88 Old 09-17-2018, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
@meles

I’m tempted to open up the K950 sub to try this:

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_543ADP...CABEgL5f_D_BwE
So is K950 all digital amps? Wish we could intercept signal at line level rather than speaker.

post #71 of 88 Old 09-19-2018, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meles View Post
So is K950 all digital amps? Wish we could intercept signal at line level rather than speaker.
I would think so.

Connecting to the speaker terminals should be pretty straight forward.

But looking at the speaker, I don’t see an obvious way to disassemble it. I didn’t want to force anything with the cloth cover.
meles likes this.

LG 86UH9500
post #72 of 88 Old 09-19-2018, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I would think so.

Connecting to the speaker terminals should be pretty straight forward.

But looking at the speaker, I don’t see an obvious way to disassemble it. I didn’t want to force anything with the cloth cover.
I'm not a fan of the end goal of getting subwoofer output from speaker terminals, but don't have an alternative (been very busy last 10 days). I saw some hits on dealing with glued in place grill covers. I was rebuffed in my attempt to dissect the speaker when trying to upgrade the connector for the power cable and just went with an adapter for IEC connection (which had to be hacked to connect properly.) You might look at pealing off some of the rubber feat to see if they hide some screws.

post #73 of 88 Old 10-03-2018, 11:36 PM - Thread Starter

@ntxoa have you been experimenting with sub placement? I'm particularly becoming aware of the K950's sub being sensitive even to how the port and driver are pointed.

I've been making slow progress taming the HDMI beast and tied up in other matters. I'm thinking for HDR or standard def, sync is much better with my ATV4K on DD5.1 if I send both audio and video through the Oppo rather than splitting off like for Dolby Vision with my AVR key. This is a manual cable switch for me and may remain so. Still waiting for Xbox to release Dolby Vision which affects my setup.

post #74 of 88 Old 10-04-2018, 03:09 PM

@meles I’ve had the SW in the corner just left of the couch with the port facing the back wall. Also have had it in the left front of the room, not in a corner, with the port facing the front wall.

Currently it’s in the right front corner, behind a couch, with the port on the right side, and closed cell foam stuffed lightly in the port.

The foam made more difference than anything else - tighter, less boomy bass.
meles likes this.

LG 86UH9500
post #75 of 88 Old 10-04-2018, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
@meles I’ve had the SW in the corner just left of the couch with the port facing the back wall. Also have had it in the left front of the room, not in a corner, with the port facing the front wall.

Currently it’s in the right front corner, behind a couch, with the port on the right side, and closed cell foam stuffed lightly in the port.

The foam made more difference than anything else - tighter, less boomy bass.
I think I've mentioned I know a port plugger. I'll have to have a knock down drag out session before the year is done.

post #76 of 88 Old 03-31-2019, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter

@ntxoa
Check this!:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...ook-specs.html

I'm about to order one in place of Oppo controls. The HD unit gives you up to 80ms delay while lower units only do up to 7.2ms. One can also DSP up to 4 additional woofers. This also may have a place with my time and phase aligned speakers with the built in isobaric subs for full range music. One can use Foobar 2000 and the USB input to get to DAC that will handle 24/96 do DSP for my upper 4-way array of drivers. This unit quite possibly would replace my linestage and crossover in that setup. I've done USB dacs before, but never liked them, but throwing in DSP of main speakers with even flatter response may be invaluable. If it doesn't work out full range still can use the minidsp 2x4 HD for the stereo subwoofers.

They also have units that work with hdmi but its lpcm so no go with our soundbar or my Xbox. Would have loved to alter 5.1 before going to Xbox or K950 before upmixing.

I can't think of way to do DSP to the Samsung K950's subwoofer. The best idea I can come up with is to optimize its placement knowing the other dsp'd subwoofer(s) will make up the difference. Another crazy idea might be to not hookup the K950's subwoofer at all, replace with other subwoofers or do some mod as you've thought about in posts above.

The 2x4hd is ultra cheap because it doesn't have plug and pray automic calibrate. You measure and do that yourself with minidsp's mike. The OP in the referenced thread above gets into a lot of the budget ways to do things. If one wants quality plug and pray minidsp has a firmware upgrade for $200 that add their Dirac live solution. This does involve performance compromises... "If your 2x4HD is only used for SUB, it's not going to be useful to have Dirac". Also doing this Dirac firmware upgrade to take 2x4HD to their ddrc-24 knocks things down to 24x48.

The balanced unit is much cheaper and also excellent, but you lose delay capabilities (7.2 ms only). The unbalanced unit can only drive amps with strong input sensitivity of 0.9 volts or less as that is all it will output. 24x48 preferable for subwoofers, but these units do not have the optical input and only USB (not a big deal in my mind, but I guess optical can accept 24/96 if source will comply). For those wanting ultra low bass down past 20 hz. This company cross spectrum has the minidsp umik-1 mike with calibration file that gets you down to 5 hz (just sent them email to see if they still sell the file alone.):
http://cross-spectrum.com/measuremen...ated_umik.html

There are issues with 24/96 with the minidsp with the really low bass so the cheaper balanced unit probably the best value for low bass:
https://www.minidsp.com/forum/softwa...s?limitstart=0

post #77 of 88 Old 04-02-2019, 05:51 PM

Quote:
@ntxoa
Check this!:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...ook-specs.html

I'm about to order one in place of Oppo controls. The HD unit gives you up to 80ms delay while lower units only do up to 7.2ms. One can also DSP up to 4 additional woofers.
I have no clue on how to use one, but it sounds interesting. Let us know what you set up!
meles likes this.

LG 86UH9500
post #78 of 88 Old 04-02-2019, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I have no clue on how to use one, but it sounds interesting. Let us know what you set up!
Arrives tomorrow! I'm thinking an AVRkey from hdfury will split dv/hdr video from audio and then a splitter then sends pcm atmos on its way and sends the other half of audio signal to HDMI extractor. Then you get your bass signal minimum from dts5.1 or dd5.1. Hoping to extract LPCM 24 bit from output of Oppo and send direct to optical to minidsp. We will see what happens.

post #79 of 88 Old 10-24-2019, 11:42 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 13
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/195-s...l#post58729750

I have the same type of issue, another possible solution?

Blackbird 4K Pro 1x2 Ultra Slim HDMI Splitter HDR 18Gbps [email protected] YCbCr 4:4:4 HDCP 2.2

Product# 21612

Monoprice Blackbird 4K HDMI Audio Extractor, 18Gbps, HDCP 2.2

Product# 24278

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=10249

https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_...seq=1&format=2
meles likes this.
post #80 of 88 Old 10-25-2019, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by super kermit View Post

Blackbird 4K Pro 1x2 Ultra Slim HDMI Splitter HDR 18Gbps [email protected] YCbCr 4:4:4 HDCP 2.2
I tried a similar splitter, but it wouldn’t output the LFE channel I needed. Don’t remember the specific details of the problem, but something like it wouldn’t split and pass HD audio.
meles likes this.

LG 86UH9500
post #81 of 88 Old 10-25-2019, 10:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by super kermit View Post

Product# 21612

Monoprice Blackbird 4K HDMI Audio Extractor, 18Gbps, HDCP 2.2

Product# 24278

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=10249

https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_...seq=1&format=2
I've been dragging with my mini-dsp project for six months now.

I think I even pumped HD Fury guy on here about splitting the bass signal out to analog and sounds like its not even something HD Fury would take on and they are the most aggressive company when it comes to these things.

I thought I saw some splitters that might extact perhaps a lower def bass signal. 24 bit formats seem to excel in bass so Oppo seems the best choice if you love your system.

A lot of subwoofers work off an ampilifier output. @ntxoa it would be a pretty simple thing to bring out some leads from where the amplifier in the subwoofer comes out to go to the eight inch bass driver. That could then be used with another subwoofer. I'm thinking that escapes all the timing issues we have with the Oppo. Just need a subwoofer with all the crossover adjustments. I can't believe I didn't think of this before, but always wanted the RCA line level input. A trained chimp could hook speaker level connectors up.

post #82 of 88 Old 10-26-2019, 08:47 AM

Quote:
@ntxoa it would be a pretty simple thing to bring out some leads from where the amplifier in the subwoofer comes out to go to the eight inch bass driver. That could then be used with another subwoofer. I'm thinking that escapes all the timing issues we have with the Oppo. Just need a subwoofer with all the crossover adjustments. I can't believe I didn't think of this before, but always wanted the RCA line level input. A trained chimp could hook speaker level connectors up.
I wasn’t very eager to open up my sub though. It looks like it’s just glued together. Didn’t see any obvious screws or anything.

I might give it a try now since I have the N950 and can hack up the k950.
meles likes this.

LG 86UH9500
post #83 of 88 Old 10-26-2019, 08:57 AM

Quote:
I'm thinking that escapes all the timing issues we have with the Oppo.
I noticed that I had lip sync problems with 3D and HD videos going through the Oppo from my Zidoo. 4k was ok.

I read somewhere that it could be a buffering issue with the Oppo. Pausing the video and cycling through the Oppo inputs would get things back in sync.

After playing around with a bunch of Zidoo settings, I found that locking the resolution to 4K and turning off frame rate and resolution switching eliminated any lip sync problems.

Locking to either 4K 23.9 Hz or 4K 60 Hz worked. Didn’t try other frame rates.
meles likes this.

LG 86UH9500
post #84 of 88 Old 10-29-2019, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I wasn’t very eager to open up my sub though. It looks like it’s just glued together. Didn’t see any obvious screws or anything.

What do you think of the newer model's? I'm probably standing pat because of Dolby Access upmixing not working with the Samsung 7.1 units last I heard.

I wonder if search on samsung subwoofer surgery might give some hints even from different models.

post #85 of 88 Old 10-29-2019, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I noticed that I had lip sync problems with 3D and HD videos going through the Oppo from my Zidoo. 4k was ok.

I read somewhere that it could be a buffering issue with the Oppo. Pausing the video and cycling through the Oppo inputs would get things back in sync.

After playing around with a bunch of Zidoo settings, I found that locking the resolution to 4K and turning off frame rate and resolution switching eliminated any lip sync problems.

Locking to either 4K 23.9 Hz or 4K 60 Hz worked. Didn’t try other frame rates.
My HD Fury split out the video for Dolby Vision, but one wonders if the Oppo isn't the only device that might get delay by this. My Xbox HDMI input is another. Again generally audio only. Still stability might help. I'm really not sure at all what the Oppo does. Right now I'm running my ATV4K through the input with video for many things (have another hdmi cable that I swap in to bypass from ATV4K output direct to Oppo input.)

post #86 of 88 Old 11-25-2019, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-qyGOIA...l-Adapter.html

so this would adapter speaker wire from subwoofer to line level for use with any subwoofer. $40 to add another subwoofer to a subwoofer.

AVSFORUM ON THE SUBJECT:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-s...el-inputs.html

Looks like a very simple circuit with two resistors before one adds RCA jack for output to another subwoofer. One could just wire this in the original subwoofer and add RCA Jack.

Last edited by meles; 11-25-2019 at 06:14 PM.
post #87 of 88 Old 11-26-2019, 09:31 AM

Quote:
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-qyGOIA...l-Adapter.html

so this would adapter speaker wire from subwoofer to line level for use with any subwoofer. $40 to add another subwoofer to a subwoofer.

AVSFORUM ON THE SUBJECT:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-s...el-inputs.html

Looks like a very simple circuit with two resistors before one adds RCA jack for output to another subwoofer. One could just wire this in the original subwoofer and add RCA Jack.
Yep. Looks like a good way.

For $39 ready to install, not worth it to source the individual parts and breadboard everything together.
meles likes this.

LG 86UH9500
post #88 of 88 Old 11-26-2019, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Yep. Looks like a good way.

For $39 ready to install, not worth it to source the individual parts and breadboard everything together.
I actually have a lot of audiophile grade resistors so I'll probably just figure out circuitry and wire it with a decent gold jack rather than have to have more RCA cables, etc. Easier to do jack then to bring out bigger speaker connectors.

I've also just coughed up for a good step up in subwoofer for only $500:
https://www.svsound.com/collections/...ducts/pb12-nsd

Black Friday madness. I'm finally going to mess around with the mini-dsp via Oppo with my current subs and the SVS. Then I'll decide on the hacking of the subwoofer cabinet to add the speaker level circuitry.
ntxoa likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page