Using an Oppo to add a(nother) subwoofer to a soundbar - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 41Likes

post #91 of 107 Old 02-12-2020, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 126
More email:
1. Friend was over and checked all the DSP settings for hand tuning of first subwoofer. It had already been positioned to the mm. So all done
2. Also during this we optimized delay in the very early going
3. Then the 2nd SVS was micro-moved to get best spot on the money (had gotten within less than an inch during initial setup.
4. Tuned its 3 parametric settings, 7 on the corner sub!

Result, much, much more magical sound that is beautifully balanced. May try one more time to get Rew to measure both main soundbar and SVS together tomorrow and at least I can measure bass again to see if its flatter and will send new in room curve tomorrow.

I really, really like the sound now with music. We handed tuned settings with live Atmos recording from Israel of liszt and beethoven piano concertos. A fine disc that made the tuning very, very easy.

The bass itself sounds magical, ambience magical. Very, very fine sound

Getting your snake oil on email:
For two channel audiophiles there is no Audyysey. 1/3 rd your sound is software, 1/3rd is component selection and setup, and the final 3rd is equipment.

This was relatively fast with subs. A lot of it quick decisions where a small adjstment or movement just sounds more right. Unsure then you lose time going back and forth.

The ambience and wide range of sound on well recorded orchestral program with piano (piano concertos) made this easy. piano is full range dynamic instrument.

With soundbar not a lot can be tweaked lol, but my theory of two channel audio is this:
The bigger you are, the harder you fall! On a top notch system screw one aspect of setup six ways to Sunday and it can really hurt the sound, but the reverse holds as well; find one of these screw ups and fix it and you can get large improvements from minor tweaks and changes. As you near nirvana mistakes make you fall harder (easier to hear) and correcting a weakness can seem like a huge gain. This is one of the reasons two channel crazy bucks as designers have discovered this affect and build things with more and more expensive parts.

Think its hocus pocus? Well even SVS engineers are tweaking. All current subs have six stranded silver wire direct from sub voice coil to amplifier. Normal setup has many more solder joints and connections with plating, perhaps even clips on wire from amp board and to driver connection. Very tweaky and SVS does it for something as seemingly mundane as a subwoofer!

HDMI Gone Wild - Audio HDMI Chains: (min. upmixed Atmos) Sony X700(Vudu, etc.)
Oppo UDP-203-->LG OLED65B7 and SamsungK950 (4K Atmos discs and files + 2 more subs!)
XboxOneS-->K950 (DTS discs, 2K files, Fandango 2K DTSHD)
ATV4K-->AVRkey-->XboxOneS-->K950 (iTunes and Vudu atmos, &Infuse - dd5.1)
Roku Premiere+-->Oppo UDP-203-->K950(Fandango and MA HDR, DD+)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 107 Old 02-12-2020, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

Continuing from the post before those email quotes (which explain a lot), REW with the Oppo and a sound bar is a PIA. The reason is because when I put REW via hdmi to the Oppo's input or others upstream hdmi inputs the Oppo won't simultaneously play bass via analog and hdmi. Now with source material this is no problem, but for some reason with REW its just impossible to work around. I work around this in an acceptable way and here are the last graphs I did before hand tweaking the minidsp settings by ear rather than just making graph look good:

The orange line is just the Samsung soundbar with its port plugged, atmos upmixed signal, and bass on -12. I had to try tons of positions in my room to achieve this. The K950 is a bit deficient by design from 100 to 150 hz and my whole goal was to find the best spot to give the most in this range. (The K950 has an equalizer at 150, but it only affects top speakers and I have that on +5 to help in this area). (Orange line done with simple umik-1 setup via hdmi)

The mint green curve are the two SVS PB12-NSD's measured together with crossover at 80 hz exactly and BW 18db type that is 3 db down at 80 hz. I never expected to cross this high, but that is what worked with my soundbar. Now of course with the K950 you can only change things with its internal settings and positioning; minidsp has no hdmi connection and cannot affect things. Now the SVS were done via sending the signal via USB to the minidsp and that same USB allows you to adjust the minidsp's settings as pictured above.

The bold navy curve is the averaging of the two in REW. And of course before averaging you need to match your levels as best you can as the average is no good if the separate Oppo led subs are 10 db higher!

Your final adjustments of course should all be done with ear with source material featuring the Absolute Sound (real unamplified musicians recorded live.). The Mehta recording I used:
https://www.amazon.com/Liszt-Piano-C.../dp/B01KUV8PXC

Well I'm still in the middle of this project and these kind of detailed explanations a bit exhausting, so questions just ask!

Also, by hdmi rats nest has grown with addition of fire cube and nvidia shield pro. the sync issue with the subwoofers makes things a more the merrier kind of situation as now sources must allow proper sync to happen. If the extra subs get ahead of the sound bar time wise then they quickly localize; a design issue with soundbars that crossover so high (k950, 160 hz )

Oppo UDP-203-->LG OLED65B7 and SamsungK950 (4K Atmos discs and files + 2 more subs!)
post #93 of 107 Old 02-12-2020, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter

Samsung K950 on its own at -6 for Atmos

Much chest vibration on its own, but far, far from flat when going for the most slam with corner placement.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 107 Old 02-12-2020, 09:55 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by meles View Post
Well I'm still in the middle of this project and these kind of detailed explanations a bit exhausting, so questions just ask!
@meles Thanks for the write up.

So right now, I go from my Oppo LFE, through an RF transceiver pair, to a Dayton amp running Aura Pro bass shakers. The amp also passes the signal to an old receiver that runs a sub.

If I use a PB12-NSD, I should swap it in for the receiver and sub combo?

Does the mini-dsp feed both the Dayton/shakers and the PB12-NSD? Or just the PB12-NSD?

Do I need to run 2 of the SVS, or will 1 still be an improvement?

The SVS info says “advanced digital signal processing”, but that is not the same as provided by the mini-dsp?
meles likes this.

Nvidia Shield - Zidoo X9S - HTPC/MPC-HC
Oppo 203 - Samsung HW-N950 - 7.2.4
LG 86UH9500
post #95 of 107 Old 02-14-2020, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntxoa View Post

So right now, I go from my Oppo LFE, through an RF transceiver pair, to a Dayton amp running Aura Pro bass shakers. The amp also passes the signal to an old receiver that runs a sub.

Does the mini-dsp feed both the Dayton/shakers and the PB12-NSD? Or just the PB12-NSD?

The SVS info says “advanced digital signal processing”, but that is not the same as provided by the mini-dsp?
You might just jump on the PB12-NSD right now because SVS has them in the outlet with full guarantee. You can try for 45 days and if you don't like it return and they pay return shipping! SVS will never sell the NSD again and the new blow out model is the PB2000 which is $699 and better. Waiting for some reviews of PB2000 pro which has built in DSP, they sell those in pairs for $1700.

I don't know anything about shakers other than what they are roughly. Just saw something on Boss which is similar:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-s...l#post59240336

They definitely use minidsp HD with boss and it can handle up to 4 subwoofers.

I have no idea if you measure bassshakers with microphone. But seems like they would put out sound and you would get some kind of multiple subwoofer benefit.

If you are using these subwoofers with a soundbar well I do think the PB12-NSD is enough power simply because you can't go to nuclear levels even with our impressive Samsung soundbar (I play very, very loud and in my 3700 cubic foot room the bar and subs definitely get the job done.)

The big, big problem is integrating the Samsung's subwoofer. I just assume any soundbar must mix some main speaker bass back into the subwoofer output as the LFE .1 tracks just go up to 120 hz. To my ears Samsung is deliberately lean on their subwoofer output from 100-150hz to avoid the subwoofer localizing.

The thing to realize is minidsp won't do anything for the Samsung Sub you are forced to try to mate it by room placement only and adjusting other subs. Its not easy at all. In fact I could not get REW via HDMI to output both the Samsung's bass and the Oppo sub output at the same time which was very frustrating. Then at least I could measure them together.

In a way the PB12-NSD will be a fourth subwoofer and already you really have three subs!

Two more must videos and I'll post an email update I just sent out today next:

Watch the shorter one first, but both give a great feel for subwoofer setup with minidsp and the huge gains especially for multiple listening seats.

Last edited by meles; 02-14-2020 at 12:07 PM.
post #96 of 107 Old 02-14-2020, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

Another email:

Well I'm having an issue gain matching because of radical minidsp setting on my corner sub

You can see I've knocked down the whole range 15 db, but the rise below 20 hz is no doubt taxing for the sub. I figured since its getting an extra 3 db boost from side wall that I'd be aggressive with it. The other sub is flat except for three PEQ settings. Needless to say my gain settings on the two subs are six ways from matching on Sunday hehe. I think its in the ballpark, but if one is a couple db low well that's a couple db and that's a big deal. Probably will torture SVS with that question. Trying to milk out a little more precious 20 hz bass.

Last night I also added 48 db per octave rolloff 3 db down at 11 hz and has not negative sonic impact, seems a bit better but starts to lose the little gain if I set on 12. Hopefully this offers some protection because not only do I have the aggressive setting above, but I'm also using a filter on the input of minidsp to run a house curve to boost bass subtly:

Tuning the Q and gain and frequency just allowed me to eliminate some midbass fuzz. This is boosting low bass 3 db from 10-20 hz so not that friendly, but I have five year guarantee!

I also used ridiculous phone app and a test file to check how my little sub crosses with the big one. Pretty crude, but it showed a big dip at crossover point and flipping the phase eliminated. Also gave me a clue that I needed the above house curve as by ear I was favoring a heavy hand at 80 hz. Tested with music of course and it sounds a good bit better though I need to explore house curve subject.
(youtube in post above has sweep file and link for app)

Last edited by meles; 02-14-2020 at 12:11 PM.
post #97 of 107 Old 02-14-2020, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

@ntxoa how on earth are you dealing with syncing because my Oppo's analog bass is always ahead. Just curious how you adjust and determine settings.

I've been using my Oppo's DV splitting feature on hdmi input to hopefully get more control of syncing, but its a small improvement if any.

post #98 of 107 Old 02-14-2020, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I would buy that SVS PB12-NSD right now given their return guarantee and find out how it works. You can run 4 subwoofer channels on minidsp HD unit (if you want more get two hehe). So with the the Samsung sub you can actually do five subwoofers. My subwoofers in my big two channel system are dead!, so I've not gone beyond the two SVS and tried to gain match and get something out of a lesser subwoofer.

The port rolloffs, and sealed sub rolloffs evidently can fight with each other and cause cancellation so the rag tag fugitive fleet of sub approach means a lot more work, but maybe if you do it just right you can have it all:

post #99 of 107 Old 02-15-2020, 02:53 PM

Quote:
@ntxoa how on earth are you dealing with syncing because my Oppo's analog bass is always ahead. Just curious how you adjust and determine settings.(
On the Oppo’s audio processing, I set all the speakers to 50’ except for the sub which is at 0’.

My LFE signal also goes through an RF transmitter connected to the Oppo.

Between all that, it seems to be ok by ear. I don’t have any equipment to do actual measuring.
meles likes this.

LG 86UH9500
post #100 of 107 Old 02-15-2020, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
On the Oppo’s audio processing, I set all the speakers to 50’ except for the sub which is at 0’.

My LFE signal also goes through an RF transmitter connected to the Oppo.

Between all that, it seems to be ok by ear. I don’t have any equipment to do actual measuring.
(after writing this I'm almost looking forward to running into a sync problem just to play around and verify the following)

well 50 feet is 44.5 milliseconds. Best answer: The latency is 37ms when measured with a scope. By RocketfishCustomerSupport 6 years ago. So just over 80ms total for you including a typical wireless subwoofer kit.

If I'm upmixing via Xbox I came up with something like a setting of 78.37 ms (yes you could hear .01 ms). I think my shield pro and Sony X700 in youtube make fairly low pitched boinking noises as you navigate. I have got into upmixing settings with Xbox where I couldn't get the sub to delay enough.

Your situation is acceptable as what you don't want is too little delay. When listening to a low pitched voice that will tend to really localize.

When I play on my Oppo it goes to minidsp which adds delay. A regular minidsp adds 1.07 ms latency. That is the equivalent of 1.12 feet behind a loudspeaker. The minidsp HD is around 3 ms, so worse but might be accepable with subwoofers in analog system. I have a friend with sub behind some highend speakers that is about the equivalent of this delay. (To refresh the minidsp hd has a delay setting of up to 80 ms while the balance and regular unit have less than 10 ms so of little help).

So when I play the Oppo it likes 19.00 ms delay and this is with all the speaker distance settings on 12 feet. (Does it matter whether speakers on large or small.). So if minidsp is adding 3 ms delay this means the Samsung K950 adds about 16 ms delay, oops, my subs are ...about 3 feet behind my sound bar, so just under 3 ms delay there too, so maybe 13 ms delay for our sound bar to output and this may well be because it needs to time with the wireless units.

So in conclusion if you have analog only subwoofer system (which is not what this thread is about) then you can have your subwoofers nearly three feet closer to the listening position then your main speaker or even closer and zero out the delay (like I've said this is not very audible if at all, but you could get phase issues perhaps with some bass cancellation).

For the Samsung K950 soundbar and likely its successors you need to add some delay. In your case with the assumed Rocketfish wireless bass signal then for playing from Oppo direct or any source going through the hdmi input you probably can set your Oppo distance setting back to equal or zero feet and then you only have about 20 ms of extra delay.

If you're doing Atmos upmixing via Xbox then you get a lot of delay and of course the Xbox has to be after the Oppo since the Oppo hdmi input won't accept PCM Atmos from the Xbox (or ATV4K for that matter). (Note in my system with AVR Key splitter after fire cube I have a method that I've posted elsewhere that will upmix much of the stuff to DD+ Atmos you play from a fire cube and that can go into input of Oppo.) In that case your maximum delay is very necessary and might still be coming up short (I need to test more). I'd forgotten about the Oppo distance setting and another 40 ms delay will be really nice.

For lip sync in general I think the Oppo can only fix so much when dealing with Xbox. Basically if you advance their setting to -100ms it does not do that! It only allows the Oppo's video delay to fully impact the signal and they say they can't put audio any further ahead of that. How to maximize Oppo video delay....Well found this from Oppo on delay:
"The negative adjustment values are for cancelling out the audio delay that the player automatically
applies. Depending on the video source and the time it takes to process the video, the main
decoder chip automatically applies an audio delay in order to optimize audio video synchronization.
The negative manual settings reduce the automatic audio delay, while the positive manual settings
apply additional delay. Any negative value setting beyond the player's automatic delay will be
treated as completely cancelling the automatic delay. For example, if the "A/V Sync" value is
manually set to -100ms and for the current video source the player applies a 70ms automatic audio
delay, the final result is that the 70ms audio delay gets cancelled and the audio is not delayed at
all. It is not possible to put audio ahead of video using this setting."

Ugh. I hate this stuff and maddening to adjust with the Oppo's sync settings sometimes bypassed or partially bypassed.

The following are some search notes that really only apply to LG TVs. I try using the Oppo's setting and at least the above explains why the settings never seem to do that much when you want more because they aren't doing anything. LG's with Dolby Vision can have video delay which might counteract the Xbox atmos upmixing audio delay enough to come to some compromise, the Oppo's sync setting apparently does nothing with DV content (bypassed), but maybe the Xbox audio delay and LG video delay might match. ATV4K can upmix everything to DV so you might be able to force this video delay split off the audio and maybe delay it some more in the soundbar. This has nothing to do with subwoofer sync except that you might need more delay than the minidsp will do so in that case you can put the oppo speaker distance settings to 50 feet so the analog sub output is delayed up to 37 ms. I hate the idea of the wireless sub, but even SVS has a unit:
https://www.svsound.com/products/soundpath-wireless-audio-adapter?variant&wiz_medium=cpc&wiz_source=google&w iz_campaign=7976685774&wiz_term=&gclid=Cj0KCQiAyp7 yBRCwARIsABfQsnTrxn4HWa3JSfGdUYnv5X-BHZog5vJjafGjP5xep6Cz_3l-XhlBU1gaAu5_EALw_wcB
(the above has 25.5 millisecond of delay which may not be enough if you don't have a minidsp HD capable of 80 ms delay). And finally the notes for LG OLED:

"the Oppo and the Apple TV 4K. 4K Dolby Vision content goes out of sync and they both have a 126ms delay. I strongly believe the that LG TV itself is at fault. My LG is a C6"
"Its the LG OLED's 'Real Cinema' option in the picture menu. The trick is that the option is greyed out (not applicable) with anything except 24p content, so you can't always reach in to turn it on/off. But if its ON (and you must check with each type of source content based on its frames per second...it doesn't 'stick'), then you will get a 126ms picture delay with 24p content. I guarantee it." THIS MIGHT BE A GREAT WAY TO ADD VIDEO DELAY FOR XBOX UPMIXING, BUT I'VE NOT THOUGHT IT THROUGH." if you play a Dolby Vision disc, Real Cinema on the TV get's turned on automatically and you can't turn it off!!
This must be a Dolby Vision requirement."

" Sadly, the audio delay setting on the Oppo does nothing with DV discs, so you can't correct for it on the player.
Also, you can't access your AV Amp's audio delay setting while a DV disc is playing (again, must be a DV requirement), so you can't correct it there either!!!
However, as long as you add around 126ms of audio delay on your AV Amp BEFORE you play the DV disc, you will get perfect sync."

post #101 of 107 Old 02-15-2020, 07:06 PM

Quote:
(after writing this I'm almost looking forward to running into a sync problem just to play around and verify the following)

well 50 feet is 44.5 milliseconds. Best answer: The latency is 37ms when measured with a scope. By RocketfishCustomerSupport 6 years ago. So just over 80ms total for you including a typical wireless subwoofer kit.
Btw, I’m using this wireless kit.

https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Tran...ct_top?ie=UTF8

http://www.amphony.com/download/pdf/...ManualSub1.pdf

Some people were saying in the range of 12-20ms latency.
meles likes this.

LG 86UH9500
post #102 of 107 Old 02-15-2020, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Btw, I’m using this wireless kit.

https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Tran...ct_top?ie=UTF8

http://www.amphony.com/download/pdf/...ManualSub1.pdf

Some people were saying in the range of 12-20ms latency.
Well that's fine and really when playing direct from Oppo I'd try eliminating that 50 foot delay and see if it sounds a touch better and if you end up with subs localizing that would confirm it might be under 16ms or something and then you can add a few feet and have two settings. Extra 40 ms delay is like 50 feet, kind of odd when you think about it.

post #103 of 107 Old 02-16-2020, 01:38 PM

Quote:
So when I play the Oppo it likes 19.00 ms delay and this is with all the speaker distance settings on 12 feet. (Does it matter whether speakers on large or small.).
I don’t know how it interacts with delay, but the LFE blends better when I have Oppo 80hz crossover and all speakers set to small except for the center channel.

I have to set center to large, or else some of the dialogue bleeds over to the sub.
meles likes this.

LG 86UH9500
post #104 of 107 Old 02-16-2020, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I don’t know how it interacts with delay, but the LFE blends better when I have Oppo 80hz crossover and all speakers set to small except for the center channel.

I have to set center to large, or else some of the dialogue bleeds over to the sub.
Wish and don't wish I know that because I ended up with dual subs because of dialogue bleeding. Very good info.

Its funny I've been primarily tuning with music and correcting a sleeping schedule problem where I've wanted light in the day and no HDR video going off like a super nova at night to keep me up so very little movie watching or home theater, but all Atmos music. Got to finish off movie, Mary Queen of Scots and something not quite right, so removed house curve for my bass (I listen close to reference levels) and everything just came together with all the subtle Atmos cues and very, very happy. Big change for that movie since I'd watched the first 80% of it.

Sad, but my time right now is consumed by subwoofer research as my two channel system's sub system which was unprotected was destroyed by running it as additional subwoofer (more one channel finsihed off and I might have gotten a stool leg on another cable and stood on it; the stool that was supposed to protect it) and that cable was wired directly to the driver. Well anyhow those drivers when they were sold to the public over 15 years ago they were $400 a piece. So anyhow I am looking at SVS upgrade to the PB2000 Pro dual mode sub which I will use sealed with my top array from my two channel speaker and possible future Magnepan 1.7 purchase. PB2000 Pro in sealed mode -3 db is 17 hz and the bigger PB3000 only makes it to 18.

So lots and lots of research into what to do, but in the end by soundbar may sound crazy.

post #105 of 107 Old 02-17-2020, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter

Well turns out my idea of rca connector for subwoofer not so crazy as even balanced done well!:
brett66
Dec '18

https://www.cs1.net/products/jensen_transformers/SC-2NR.htm 40
Use this to drive high-level to your subs. Best $200 I’ve spent in a long while.

I could put this on my wireless sub and derive signal, but not sure its bass signal really as good as Oppo's

And the balanced unit with neutrik connectors so just add those to soundbar sub:
https://www.cs1.net/products/jensen_...ers/SP-2SX.htm

@ntxoa , my idea is high end

post #106 of 107 Old 02-17-2020, 08:30 PM

Quote:
I could put this on my wireless sub and derive signal, but not sure its bass signal really as good as Oppo's
Good point. Especially with the nice subs you will use.

Well, I’m supposed to have a PB12 NSD arriving Friday
meles likes this.

LG 86UH9500
post #107 of 107 Old 02-17-2020, 10:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Good point. Especially with the nice subs you will use.

Well, I’m supposed to have a PB12 NSD arriving Friday
That's the gateway drug Congratulations. I'm researching a lot and would just like some hard numbers on pb2000 pro and its modes.

I'm also realizing that first order xover for top section of current speaker is very diiferent from supplementing Magnepan at 40 hz where one sub might do.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page