Vizio SB3651-E6 36" 5.1 SmartCast Soundbar Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By imagic
  • 1 Post By Rip_VanWinkle
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 06-20-2018, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger
 
imagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 15,463
Mentioned: 425 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8812 Post(s)
Liked: 15472
Vizio SB3651-E6 36" 5.1 SmartCast Soundbar Review

The Vizio 36" 5.1 SmartCast Soundbar SB3651-E6 may not be new, but it offers good looks and solid performance that's well above what's typical for its MSRP.

-----

Click here for the review: https://www.avsforum.com/review-vizi...ecast-spotify/

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 06-21-2018 at 04:09 PM.
imagic is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 Old 06-21-2018, 07:16 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
The Vizio 36" 5.1 SmartCast Soundbar SB3651-E6 may not be new, but it offers good looks and solid performance that's well above what's typical for its MSRP.

-----

Review to post shortly, stand by...
Got one for fathers day and posted a question, let me know if you're experiencing the same thing. I'm new so it wont let me post my link yet, but it's at the top of the page as of now.
Jason Plott is offline  
post #3 of 15 Old 06-22-2018, 06:27 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
What type of TV do you have? I have a TCL Roku TV and have experienced audio lags with this sound bar. Did you notice any lag with your setup?
tylerjarvis is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 15 Old 06-22-2018, 06:37 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger
 
imagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 15,463
Mentioned: 425 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8812 Post(s)
Liked: 15472
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerjarvis View Post
What type of TV do you have? I have a TCL Roku TV and have experienced audio lags with this sound bar. Did you notice any lag with your setup?
No, I did not have any real issue. Usually it would be the TV lagging behind the image and not the other way around. If you switch to game mode on the TV is the lag still there? If not you need to add some delay.

Then there's the issue of "how is everything connected" and there are many options. Anyhow, as long as it's the TV picture that's lagging behind the sound, you should be able to fix it.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
imagic is online now  
post #5 of 15 Old 06-22-2018, 08:28 AM
Senior Member
 
guacamoleparty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 238
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 108
I have this soundbar and there is a firmware push that it receives that makes the subwoofer EXTREMELY loud and unusable. I had to swap it out at Costco for a stock firmware and not use the Vizio app so it would not update. Just curious if you ever had that problem, or if it was how I was using it (with an XboxOneX). I have to run the EQ in Movie because Direct exhibits the loud bass. Thoughts?
guacamoleparty is offline  
post #6 of 15 Old 06-22-2018, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger
 
imagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 15,463
Mentioned: 425 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8812 Post(s)
Liked: 15472
Quote:
Originally Posted by guacamoleparty View Post
I have this soundbar and there is a firmware push that it receives that makes the subwoofer EXTREMELY loud and unusable. I had to swap it out at Costco for a stock firmware and not use the Vizio app so it would not update. Just curious if you ever had that problem, or if it was how I was using it (with an XboxOneX). I have to run the EQ in Movie because Direct exhibits the loud bass. Thoughts?
I did not have that problem at all, the subwoofer functioned normally through the course of the review. I cannot really speculate, but that does not sound right.
guacamoleparty likes this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
imagic is online now  
post #7 of 15 Old 06-26-2018, 01:58 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 221
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by guacamoleparty View Post
I have this soundbar and there is a firmware push that it receives that makes the subwoofer EXTREMELY loud and unusable. I had to swap it out at Costco for a stock firmware and not use the Vizio app so it would not update. Just curious if you ever had that problem, or if it was how I was using it (with an XboxOneX). I have to run the EQ in Movie because Direct exhibits the loud bass. Thoughts?
I found this to be true also. I'm not sure about the firmware update being the cause. Do you know the FW version you have now?
I could adjust the levels to make it better, but I just use the Move EQ setting as well.
Do you know if using the toslink cable from the TV output to the soundbar makes a difference?
Tfid is offline  
post #8 of 15 Old 06-26-2018, 03:26 PM
Senior Member
 
guacamoleparty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 238
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfid View Post
I found this to be true also. I'm not sure about the firmware update being the cause. Do you know the FW version you have now?
I could adjust the levels to make it better, but I just use the Move EQ setting as well.
Do you know if using the toslink cable from the TV output to the soundbar makes a difference?
Im using the optical connector out to my Xbox one X, straight to it. I'll check the firmware version when I get home but I do recall it being different than the listed one on the Vizio website. I havent used the app in a long time, but Ill try to force it to reset and see if it pulls an update once I get home. I suspect it is either an unreleased firmware OR it updated to the wrong firmware. Annoying to say the least.

Edit: FW version the VizioCast app shows is v1.0.81 - can anyone confirm what version they have?

Last edited by guacamoleparty; 06-26-2018 at 05:19 PM.
guacamoleparty is offline  
post #9 of 15 Old 06-30-2018, 05:54 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thanks for the review. While the enthusiasts naturally get excited about high-end stuff, there is a place for the budget conscious too. Simplicity is also nice, for most of us. (I do recall seeing a cartoon in which one audiophile is showing off his system to another, while explaining "I like it because it is both expensive AND complicated.") Clearly, given modern technology, a lot is possible even with tight constraints. So the question I pose is in no way intended to dismiss the virtue of this package.

However, I do recall reading something Mark wrote in which he listed factors to consider regarding sound systems. Among other things, he suggested that if your speakers didn't go down to 30 Hz, the addition of a good sub could enhance enjoyment. With that in mind, I wonder if anyone has suggestions on what would be a relatively simple, low cost 5.1 system that includes response down to 30 Hz? Obviously, it would have to be more expensive than the system Mark reviews here.
Rip_VanWinkle is offline  
post #10 of 15 Old 06-30-2018, 06:11 AM
Senior Member
 
Noydcom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Manhattan Beach, CA
Posts: 254
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip_VanWinkle View Post
Thanks for the review. While the enthusiasts naturally get excited about high-end stuff, there is a place for the budget conscious too. Simplicity is also nice, for most of us. (I do recall seeing a cartoon in which one audiophile is showing off his system to another, while explaining "I like it because it is both expensive AND complicated.") Clearly, given modern technology, a lot is possible even with tight constraints. So the question I pose is in no way intended to dismiss the virtue of this package.

However, I do recall reading something Mark wrote in which he listed factors to consider regarding sound systems. Among other things, he suggested that if your speakers didn't go down to 30 Hz, the addition of a good sub could enhance enjoyment. With that in mind, I wonder if anyone has suggestions on what would be a relatively simple, low cost 5.1 system that includes response down to 30 Hz? Obviously, it would have to be more expensive than the system Mark reviews here.
Check out this Cnet Editors Choice from VIZIO SmartCast 45” 5.1 Sound Bar System | SB4551-D5: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/vizio-s...AV2eh396OIjvSg

Noyd Communications Inc. representing:
VIZIO, DVDO, 1MORE, Puro Sound Labs
Noydcom is offline  
post #11 of 15 Old 06-30-2018, 06:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: College Station, Texas
Posts: 2,070
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 993 Post(s)
Liked: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip_VanWinkle View Post
Thanks for the review. While the enthusiasts naturally get excited about high-end stuff, there is a place for the budget conscious too. Simplicity is also nice, for most of us. (I do recall seeing a cartoon in which one audiophile is showing off his system to another, while explaining "I like it because it is both expensive AND complicated.") Clearly, given modern technology, a lot is possible even with tight constraints. So the question I pose is in no way intended to dismiss the virtue of this package.

However, I do recall reading something Mark wrote in which he listed factors to consider regarding sound systems. Among other things, he suggested that if your speakers didn't go down to 30 Hz, the addition of a good sub could enhance enjoyment. With that in mind, I wonder if anyone has suggestions on what would be a relatively simple, low cost 5.1 system that includes response down to 30 Hz? Obviously, it would have to be more expensive than the system Mark reviews here.
I would reccomend this https://www.parts-express.com/t652-5...oofer--300-699

Its not audiophile quality but sounds damn good for the price. and the sub goes to 25hz, or so it says
liffie420 is offline  
post #12 of 15 Old 06-30-2018, 09:17 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noydcom View Post
Check out this Cnet Editors Choice from VIZIO SmartCast 45” 5.1 Sound Bar System | SB4551-D5: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/vizio-s...AV2eh396OIjvSg
Thank you.
Noydcom likes this.
Rip_VanWinkle is offline  
post #13 of 15 Old 06-30-2018, 09:17 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by liffie420 View Post
I would reccomend this https://www.parts-express.com/t652-5...oofer--300-699

Its not audiophile quality but sounds damn good for the price. and the sub goes to 25hz, or so it says
Thank you.
Rip_VanWinkle is offline  
post #14 of 15 Old 07-06-2018, 08:53 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 389
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I have this and have not updated the FW because of others reporting problems. It is set up in my bedroom with a 43" TCL S series. I've had some sync issues. The sound is delayed, so there isn't a quick fix. The other issue I have is that there isn't a good dynamic volume for night listening when I stream content. I have truvol on, but it doesn't do anything.

It works great with the center channel cranked if you are ok with no dynamic volume.
HarpNinja is offline  
post #15 of 15 Old 07-06-2018, 11:16 AM
Senior Member
 
Noydcom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Manhattan Beach, CA
Posts: 254
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarpNinja View Post
I have this and have not updated the FW because of others reporting problems. It is set up in my bedroom with a 43" TCL S series. I've had some sync issues. The sound is delayed, so there isn't a quick fix.

The other issue I have is that there isn't a good dynamic volume for night listening when I stream content. I have truvol on, but it doesn't do anything.

It works great with the center channel cranked if you are ok with no dynamic volume.
For audio delay adjustment, go to AV Delay decrease it to its lowest level. Or go to the TCL to see if you can delay the video output.

For night listening use the Night Mode ON - the sound bar will lower bass frequency levels to provide a
more quiet environment.

Noyd Communications Inc. representing:
VIZIO, DVDO, 1MORE, Puro Sound Labs
Noydcom is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Soundbars

Tags
sb3651-e6 , soundbar , Vizio

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off