HT upgrade- passive soundbar in limited space? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 06-20-2018, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 1
HT upgrade- passive soundbar in limited space?

Hey guys! New here and am learning a lot but could use some help on upgrades. My current setup basically came with the house and I am looking to complement it. this is the living room with 14" ceilings, no back wall (open floor design) and pretty "bright" due to lots of windows my speaker situation 7.1: 4 ceiling speakers currently used as front and surround backs(I have not been able to figure out what brand they are yet) 2 in wall surrounds @ ~8 feet from floor (no branding on them), center is currently an old infinity HT in a box POS that I got at a thrift store (most urgent upgrade) and the sub is a 12" monoprice that is serviceable for the near future. The TV (TCL 607) is in a built in cabinet that has room for a soundbar or center either below or above the TV but no room on the sides for the front left and right. I am currently using an old pioneer vsx 811s AVR but that will need to be upgraded soon as well (any ideas would be appreciated). My goal is to get get a 5.1.4 (consensus seems to be that this is better than 7.1.2) system with a focus on the clearest dialogue in movies possible. my budget is ~$800 for center, front R+L and ~1000 for AVR but I can be persuaded higher if it makes a big difference.

the problems I see are that the cabinet limits my channel seperation anyway and that is why i am considering a passive sound bar but I am open to alternatives (I might be able to fit thin bookshelf speakers on their side below the TV if the center is mounted above but they would be basically on the ground then.)
things I am considering are( in price order) Canton cd 90-SB , Klipsch g-42, klipsch RP-440D, episode 500 series, DT mythos SSA 42

thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-20-2018, 03:08 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etaoin314 View Post
Hey guys! New here and am learning a lot but could use some help on upgrades. My current setup basically came with the house and I am looking to complement it. this is the living room with 14" ceilings, no back wall (open floor design) and pretty "bright" due to lots of windows my speaker situation 7.1: 4 ceiling speakers currently used as front and surround backs(I have not been able to figure out what brand they are yet) 2 in wall surrounds @ ~8 feet from floor (no branding on them), center is currently an old infinity HT in a box POS that I got at a thrift store (most urgent upgrade) and the sub is a 12" monoprice that is serviceable for the near future. The TV (TCL 607) is in a built in cabinet that has room for a soundbar or center either below or above the TV but no room on the sides for the front left and right. I am currently using an old pioneer vsx 811s AVR but that will need to be upgraded soon as well (any ideas would be appreciated). My goal is to get get a 5.1.4 (consensus seems to be that this is better than 7.1.2) system with a focus on the clearest dialogue in movies possible. my budget is ~$800 for center, front R+L and ~1000 for AVR but I can be persuaded higher if it makes a big difference.

the problems I see are that the cabinet limits my channel seperation anyway and that is why i am considering a passive sound bar but I am open to alternatives (I might be able to fit thin bookshelf speakers on their side below the TV if the center is mounted above but they would be basically on the ground then.)
things I am considering are( in price order) Canton cd 90-SB , Klipsch g-42, klipsch RP-440D, episode 500 series, DT mythos SSA 42

thanks for your help.
What are the dimensions of your cabinet space? That will help narrow down the range of recommended sound bars.

For receivers, one suggestion would be to try one of the new Yamaha receivers with built-in Artificial Intelligence (AI) DSP. These are supposed to optimize channel levels and equalization to the content, with a focus on improving dialog intelligibility. There aren't any reviews out yet, so it would be advisable to buy one from a place with a generous return policy -- just in case you don't like it.
post #3 of 6 Old 06-20-2018, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

Dimensions

It is 49 in wide 36 in tall which gives 5.5 in above the tv. there is also an 8 in tall Shelf below the tv that is split in the middle and has a cloth covered doors ( where my center speaker is currently but it is off center).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 06-20-2018, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

Soi Just pulled off the grills on the surrounds and they are jamo SU631K4 I'm not sure what the overheads are but I suspect they might be jamo as well. If I stick with that brand I can get a pair of the 801 bookshelves and the center mounted above the tv would that be timbre matched?
post #5 of 6 Old 07-04-2018, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter

So i got the episode 500 sound bar and it just fits, whitch is great and it sounds very crisp but it is causing the receiver to overload. Anybody have any ideas as to how to fix it? Thanks forr your help.
post #6 of 6 Old 07-08-2018, 04:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 1887 Post(s)
Liked: 1084
If the receiver is going into protect mode it is most likely one speaker causing the problem. It is also most likely a short in the wiring. Carefully check all you connections at the receiver and speakers and make sure there is not a small loose strand of speaker wire touching anywhere besides the speaker terminal.

If you have an ohm meter you could check each speaker. If not disconnect one speaker at a time and see if the receiver stops going into protect mode to see which speaker or wire going to that speaker is the problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Tags
soundbar , speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page