LG SKC9/SK9Y discussion - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #31 of 52 Old 01-06-2019, 06:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Has anyone experienced random powering off with the SK9Y while watching TV? It’s happened to me three times over the last week. I’ll be watching TV (LG E55 oled) and the soundbar will randomly just power off. Hard to reproduce consistently as it seems pretty random.

Curious on what it could be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 52 Old 03-28-2019, 10:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 161
I just recently got the SK9Y at a super good price and got it installed and working. My setup is Dish Hopper 3 DVR out to HDMI in on soundbar, ARC out on soundbar to ARC on LG C8 65' OLED. Sound settings on LG C8 are set to ARC, auto and Simplink enabled. From what I read in the instructions this was the recommended connection setup. I was really hoping I could run the Hopper DVR HDMI directly into the C8 (Best PQ) and the ARC from the C8 to the soundbar. Don't know if this is possible? What I have found so far is the sound from the Hopper DVR outputs through the soundbar when the soundbar input is set to HDMI. The sound from the C8 outputs to the soundbar when using internal apps like Amazon Prime/Netflix when the soundbar input is set to ARC. not liking to have to switch inputs on the soundbar back and forth but this is the only way I have found it to work so far. Does this seem correct? I've tried all the sound settings on the soundbar and they pretty much sound the same except movie mode which seems to increase the volume quite a bit. Anybody else experience this? Still messing around with the speaker app (on the latest firmware) and tried enabling the surround feature on the soundbar. Was able to get it to show Dolby Vision on the C8 and Dolby Atmos on the soundbar when playing Jack Ryan on Amazon Prime!. Overall I'm pretty happy with the sound of the SK9Y as it sounds much better than the internal speakers on the C8 which are pretty poor, IMO. The dialogue seems much clearer and louder from the soundbar but haven't really noticed much surround effect yet which could be due to settings, program content and no rear speakers.. The sub seems to intergrate well and haven't had any dropouts so far. Will give full impressions once I get the rear speakers hooked up. Any feedback or advise would be greatly appreciated.

HT Setup: Speakers - M&K S-5000 Monitors FL-C-FR-RL-RR on ST-1 titling stands - M&K B1600 Height speakers - 2x M&K MX-350 Mk II Subs - M&K SS-500 Dipole side surround speakers - M&K SW-85 surround back speakers
Denon AVR 4810CI - B&K 7270 THX 7 Channel Amp - Oppo BDP-203 - QNAP TVS-863+ Turbo NAS 32TB - LG OLED 65" C8 My Partial SACD Collection

Last edited by JJHXBR; 03-28-2019 at 11:35 AM.
post #33 of 52 Old 03-29-2019, 09:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 1479
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJHXBR View Post
I just recently got the SK9Y at a super good price and got it installed and working. My setup is Dish Hopper 3 DVR out to HDMI in on soundbar, ARC out on soundbar to ARC on LG C8 65' OLED. Sound settings on LG C8 are set to ARC, auto and Simplink enabled. From what I read in the instructions this was the recommended connection setup. I was really hoping I could run the Hopper DVR HDMI directly into the C8 (Best PQ) and the ARC from the C8 to the soundbar. Don't know if this is possible? What I have found so far is the sound from the Hopper DVR outputs through the soundbar when the soundbar input is set to HDMI. The sound from the C8 outputs to the soundbar when using internal apps like Amazon Prime/Netflix when the soundbar input is set to ARC. not liking to have to switch inputs on the soundbar back and forth but this is the only way I have found it to work so far. Does this seem correct? I've tried all the sound settings on the soundbar and they pretty much sound the same except movie mode which seems to increase the volume quite a bit. Anybody else experience this? Still messing around with the speaker app (on the latest firmware) and tried enabling the surround feature on the soundbar. Was able to get it to show Dolby Vision on the C8 and Dolby Atmos on the soundbar when playing Jack Ryan on Amazon Prime!. Overall I'm pretty happy with the sound of the SK9Y as it sounds much better than the internal speakers on the C8 which are pretty poor, IMO. The dialogue seems much clearer and louder from the soundbar but haven't really noticed much surround effect yet which could be due to settings, program content and no rear speakers.. The sub seems to intergrate well and haven't had any dropouts so far. Will give full impressions once I get the rear speakers hooked up. Any feedback or advise would be greatly appreciated.

We got the wireless rear surrounds for my in-laws setup... their tiny so I tempered my expectations... surprisingly they do add rear ambience and some 3D sense to the surround field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjacake View Post
Has anyone experienced random powering off with the SK9Y while watching TV? It’s happened to me three times over the last week. I’ll be watching TV (LG E55 oled) and the soundbar will randomly just power off. Hard to reproduce consistently as it seems pretty random.

Curious on what it could be?

My in-laws in 4 months have not experienced random power off. Our first unit had defective wireless unit as I posted here earlier, got replacement.
Take it back for a new one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 52 Old 03-29-2019, 11:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post
We got the wireless rear surrounds for my in-laws setup... their tiny so I tempered my expectations... surprisingly they do add rear ambience and some 3D sense to the surround field.

Thanks mtbdudex for the reply. I just received the wireless rear surrounds kit today so I'll get them hooked up and see what they sound like. Hopefully I'll have better luck and get a working unit first time around.
mtbdudex likes this.

HT Setup: Speakers - M&K S-5000 Monitors FL-C-FR-RL-RR on ST-1 titling stands - M&K B1600 Height speakers - 2x M&K MX-350 Mk II Subs - M&K SS-500 Dipole side surround speakers - M&K SW-85 surround back speakers
Denon AVR 4810CI - B&K 7270 THX 7 Channel Amp - Oppo BDP-203 - QNAP TVS-863+ Turbo NAS 32TB - LG OLED 65" C8 My Partial SACD Collection
post #35 of 52 Old 04-02-2019, 06:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 104
I bought this SKC9 from Costco yesterday & now I have an issue that I can't figure how to fix . The audio plays nice with ample bass but it goes flat in a second & stays flat for 10 seconds and goes back to normal . I am using ARC HDMI with OLED 65 C8 TV Apple 4k TV.

My second question is how to upgrade the FW ?..

LG OLED 65 2018 , HT Sony X950 85inch, Def Tech 9000 Dolby Atmos Speakers, Anthem MRX1120, Oppo203 and a nagging wife.
post #36 of 52 Old 04-02-2019, 07:49 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
This might be a really, really dumb question, so my apologies if so.

But how do you tell if Dolby Atmos is enabled?

My setup is pretty simple. LG UBKC90 --HDMI Cable--> LG SK9Y --other HDMI cable--> LG OLED55B7A

Is there a little light that shows if atmos is on? I thought it would say DOLBY ATMOS on the LG SK9Y, but all it ever says is HDMI in
post #37 of 52 Old 04-02-2019, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerdude View Post
I bought this SKC9 from Costco yesterday & now I have an issue that I can't figure how to fix . The audio plays nice with ample bass but it goes flat in a second & stays flat for 10 seconds and goes back to normal . I am using ARC HDMI with OLED 65 C8 TV Apple 4k TV.

My second question is how to upgrade the FW ?..
Have you tried swapping to a newer HDMI cord? That solved my audio problem when I was experiencing NO audio at all.
Soccerdude likes this.
post #38 of 52 Old 04-02-2019, 09:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ensignlee View Post
Have you tried swapping to a newer HDMI cord? That solved my audio problem when I was experiencing NO audio at all.
I unplugged the unit for 10 minutes & plugged it back in , it's ok so far . How do one go about upgrading the firmware ?..

LG OLED 65 2018 , HT Sony X950 85inch, Def Tech 9000 Dolby Atmos Speakers, Anthem MRX1120, Oppo203 and a nagging wife.
post #39 of 52 Old 04-02-2019, 09:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
This might be a really, really dumb question, so my apologies if so.

But how do you tell if Dolby Atmos is enabled?

My setup is pretty simple. LG UBKC90 --HDMI Cable--> LG SK9Y --other HDMI cable--> LG OLED55B7A

Is there a little light that shows if atmos is on? I thought it would say DOLBY ATMOS on the LG SK9Y, but all it ever says is HDMI in
Press in I info while playing a Dolby Atmos it displays the info on the unit.

post #40 of 52 Old 04-03-2019, 09:21 AM

Thanks soccerdude! I'll give that a try tonight!

Hmm, as far as a firmware update, I'm assuming once you've connected it to the internet, it downloads them automatically? No?
post #41 of 52 Old 04-04-2019, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerdude View Post
Press in I info while playing a Dolby Atmos it displays the info on the unit.
Hmm, so I saw it flash Dolby Atmos for literally 2 seconds when I popped in Ready Player One, but then when I hit the info button, it shows DTS instead of Dolby Atmos.

Does that mean no Dolby Atmos?
post #42 of 52 Old 04-05-2019, 12:47 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Burke View Post
I am setting up a new LG SK9Y soundbar. I am confused about some of its settings. The PDF manual is in very poor English!

There is a "Surround" function. Manual seems to indicate this is for when you have rear speakers connected. It says if you turn ON Surround, then "whole speaker outputs sound". When OFF it says "speakers output sound as an original input sound channel." There are some diagrams, and it looks like when Surround is ON, it forces audio through all speakers, including the upward-firing speakers...even for 2-channel input. So this would be nice when listening to 2 channel audio. Are there disadvantages to this? Just personal preference? Will it help with loud music/low dialogue issues?

Even if the audio is 5.1, normally the upward firing speakers are not used. But if you use the "Bass Blast" or "Movie" modes, they are used. Anybody know what it sends to the upward speakers in these 2 cases? Let's say I am watching a DTS 5.1 track and have the soundbar set to Movie mode...

What is the difference between "ASC" (Adaptive Sound Control) and "Standard"?

The LG Wi-Fi Speaker app gives some additional features. There are 2 on/off toggles. One is "Night" and the other is "DRC" (Dynamic Range Control). The text for both of these settings are very similar. They both say they increase low sounds and decrease loud sounds. There is also an "Auto Volume" setting on the remote control. The manual says this "automatically adjusts the volume level". You toggle the feature on or off using the remote. Having 3 different features that do very similar things is very frustrating.
Did you get replies? (I'm new and don't know how to find them, if there are any.)
Thank you
post #43 of 52 Old 04-05-2019, 12:53 AM

Liked: 1
Quote:
Thanks soccerdude! I'll give that a try tonight!

Hmm, as far as a firmware update, I'm assuming once you've connected it to the internet, it downloads them automatically? No?
LG Support told me updates are not automatic, but must be made using the LG WIFI app. That worked, though everything else with the app was a pain, including keeping it paired, so we deleted the app and I use the remote, which I think is easier.
post #44 of 52 Old 04-09-2019, 07:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I just got a new firmware update for my SK9Y but have no idea what it does? I was able to successfully install it, hopefully it was worthwhile. Looked on the LG website and could find no mention of firmware updates for the SK9Y. Anybody know what the latest firmware does?

post #45 of 52 Old 04-10-2019, 06:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hmm, so I saw it flash Dolby Atmos for literally 2 seconds when I popped in Ready Player One, but then when I hit the info button, it shows DTS instead of Dolby Atmos.

Does that mean no Dolby Atmos?
I played Jack Ryan UHD from the Amazon app on my LG C8 and was able to get Dolby Vision on my screen plus Dolby Atmos to show up using the info button on my SK9Y soundbar.

post #46 of 52 Old 04-12-2019, 10:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I saw this at BESTBUY wondering if the Costco verity of LG SKC9 sound bar has the Meridian circuitry build in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1432.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	279.0 KB
ID:	2552082  

post #47 of 52 Old 04-23-2019, 07:13 PM

Liked: 5
I picked one up at Costco over the weekend and am thinking of returning it. Just doesn’t have good bass. Still trying different locations for the sub but not impressed so far.

post #48 of 52 Old 04-24-2019, 12:08 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlbrowninsc View Post
I picked one up at Costco over the weekend and am thinking of returning it. Just doesn’t have good bass. Still trying different locations for the sub but not impressed so far.

Yea, the bass is nothing like the Vizio SB4531-D5 that I had before this. There is ok bass in this LG system, but after hearing the new technology (it's a subwoofer in a flat case that looks like a large DVD player) in the Vizio, this doesn't come close. I mainly got this for the ability to add the "wireless" rear channels as I don't want to run speaker wire under my area rug (there's a noticeable bump). The Atmos height effect is mediocre at best, as tested with the 2 Atmos clips downloaded from the Dolby website. However not having a million wires, the ease of setup and use, the hi-def upscaling, makes it the reason I am sticking with it.
post #49 of 52 Old 04-24-2019, 12:29 PM

Hopefully I can find the issue. I’m getting no bass. Sub is linked with a steady green light just no sound. I can reset everything and it sounds better for a bit then fails again.

Going to try hooking up via Ethernet tonight and see if it’s some kind of Wi-Fi issue.

post #50 of 52 Old 04-24-2019, 04:48 PM

Change to Ethernet hook up and things have improved. Now the tv can’t get a Wi-Fi connection so I definitely think there is some competing Wi-Fi issues going on. There are several Wi-Fi items in the room.

Apple TV two smart light bulbs nest camera and the tv. May be too much in the area?

post #51 of 52 Old 04-27-2019, 05:04 AM

Well the Ethernet switch didn’t help. Same issue with the sub disappearing. Taking it back today. Turned my receiver back on with three bookshelf speakers and no sub last night and had much better sound and more bass.

Going to have to stick with the avr and speakers I guess.

post #52 of 52 Old 05-05-2019, 12:22 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyty View Post
I was at Costco today and I saw the SKC9 from the specs it appears to be a relabeled SKY9. I can't find any discussion of these two models at all? I am not sure what the differences are between SK9Y and SK10Y. Looking at LG's site they seem very similar other than Meridian Audio Technology, 50W and square corners rather than rounded ones. Anyone have any thoughts on these?
Why do people even bother with soundbars? You can get much better sound from just 2.1 stereo setup than most 5.1 soundbars out there. Not to mention the garbage boomy mess terrible excuse for subwoofers that they Always come with. Honsestly it's really easy to beat most soundbars for around 200 bucks less
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page