Theory Audio Design Debut and Demo at CEDIA 2018 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By imagic

post #1 of 4 Old 09-11-2018, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 420 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8669 Post(s)
Liked: 15148
Theory Audio Design Debut and Demo at CEDIA 2018

The humble soundbar is a form factor that presents surprising advantages if properly executed. Theory Audio Design is a new company from Paul Hales who's other business, Pro Audio Technology, is well known for its high-performance dedicated home theater gear. Theory Audio Design brings Paul's experience to a new product line that's designed to fit in with residential decor, is approachably priced, and features an impressive-sounding mega-soundbar in the lineup.

I've dedicated significant attention to soundbars over the past few years and have heard some great examples. The best soundbars tend to be passive models that receive external power and benefit from advanced processors and the integration of powerful subs. And among systems of that type, the very best I've heard came from the Theory Audio Design system demoed at CEDIA.

First and foremost, the demo was proper home theater. The big screen was acoustically transparent, so there's no way to know there's a soundbar designed for an 85" TV back there. And so it went as Paul played the sound of a 747 landing, which not only sounded real, it felt real. Then the demo moved on to the OVerwatch trailer, which led me to write "This is the new king of soundbars, bar none. Fact."

Now, the total system cost for the 5.2.2 system I heard is $10,450. It's not trivial, and the configuration is minimalist in a world where 9.1.6 Atmos is coming to home theaters near you, but there's more to good sound than channel count and there's plenty of value to be found in the overall experience that the Theory Audio Design system brought. That's why I awarded it a Best of CEDIA 2018.

Check out the interview with Paul Hales here:

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 10-15-2018 at 08:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-11-2018, 05:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 40
"total system cost for the 5.2.2 system I heard is $10,450"

Does that include the amplification as well? Even without it, 7 (sort of) high quality, low profile speakers along with two 15" subs is such a great price! I've looked at the Totem Tribe V speakers many times, and three of those would be about this price, and that wouldn't include subs or surrounds either.

I'm very interested.

Benjamin King

Sic Transit Gloria

post #3 of 4 Old 09-11-2018, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 420 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8669 Post(s)
Liked: 15148
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminKing View Post
"total system cost for the 5.2.2 system I heard is $10,450"

Does that include the amplification as well? Even without it, 7 (sort of) high quality, low profile speakers along with two 15" subs is such a great price! I've looked at the Totem Tribe V speakers many times, and three of those would be about this price, and that wouldn't include subs or surrounds either.

I'm very interested.
Yes, that's the price with amplification/DSP, the ALC-1809B (9-channel amplified loudspeaker controller). But it does not include a preamp or a player.
BenjaminKing and rramacha like this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 09-14-2018, 01:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
nice audio system i like it
Sponsored Links