1Likes
  • 1 Post By petzen

post #1 of 4 Old 09-25-2018, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Best Surround Sound Bar

Hi all - current owner of the HW-K950 from Samsung and I've always been disappointed with how little the surround speakers are engaged in any mix. I'm curious what anyone's recommendation would be for a 5.1 or more soundbar that they feel (even if virtually) gives the most immersive surround experience possible (even if adding additional rears). Is it Sonos? Z-9F with rears? It doesn't have to have Atmos/DTS:X, etc. I just want something that really gives me the full surround effect in movies that I feel is consistently lacking in the HW-K950.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-26-2018, 01:44 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 100
That entirely depends on your source, it's mastering, the room, the units surround processing, and the kind of setup that you're after.

Sonos is like Bose. Its acoustically pleasant but not accurate. This is a lifestyle product catered to the general consumer who doesn't know too much about audio and has pockets. The playbar only supports optical so no lossless audio support.

Samsung's newer N950 usually DSP from acquired through Harmony Kardon and is a 5.1.4 system (virtual 7.1.4) which is nice and since the satellites are Atmos enabled they should kick in more. Would be the the setup most likely to

Sony would arguably be the king of DSP and supporting more formats than ever needed (Superior if not excessive Japanese engineering)
The HT-Z9F with rear surrounds is a good system of you're looking for a higher soundstage but don't expect to hear too many overhead sounds, just elevated sound that is clear and pretty sharp.
The HT-ST5000 would probably be the best soundbar + subwoofer system given has very convincing 7.1.2 surround coming from a single bar and subwoofer. It's Sony's only soundbar with true Atmos and dedication drivers for its virtual surround and if you have a small-medium sized room it will sound amazing. It is pricey though. Both Sony soundbars have Dolby vision passthrough if you plan on connecting an ATV4K or a 4k BluRay player to them.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
post #3 of 4 Old 09-26-2018, 07:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 675 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownknuckles View Post
That entirely depends on your source, it's mastering, the room, the units surround processing, and the kind of setup that you're after.

Sonos is like Bose. Its acoustically pleasant but not accurate. This is a lifestyle product catered to the general consumer who doesn't know too much about audio and has pockets. The playbar only supports optical so no lossless audio support.

Samsung's newer N950 usually DSP from acquired through Harmony Kardon and is a 5.1.4 system (virtual 7.1.4) which is nice and since the satellites are Atmos enabled they should kick in more. Would be the the setup most likely to

Sony would arguably be the king of DSP and supporting more formats than ever needed (Superior if not excessive Japanese engineering)
The HT-Z9F with rear surrounds is a good system of you're looking for a higher soundstage but don't expect to hear too many overhead sounds, just elevated sound that is clear and pretty sharp.
The HT-ST5000 would probably be the best soundbar + subwoofer system given has very convincing 7.1.2 surround coming from a single bar and subwoofer. It's Sony's only soundbar with true Atmos and dedication drivers for its virtual surround and if you have a small-medium sized room it will sound amazing. It is pricey though. Both Sony soundbars have Dolby vision passthrough if you plan on connecting an ATV4K or a 4k BluRay player to them.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
We have 5000 and love it!

Sony 4K XBR55X930E, Sony 4K UBPX800 Blu-Ray Player, Sony HTST 5000 SoundBar, DirecTV 4K HS17 w/2 Mini Genies, Panamax MR5100 Power Manager, Harmony Elite Remote, Monoprice Cables
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 09-27-2018, 09:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Samsung HW-N950 is simply one of the best soundbars that I have heard to date – and one of the only soundbars that really delivers a 7.1.4-channel immersive audio experience. The use of wireless rear speakers and a subwoofer, make the N950 easy to install and setup and allow the N950 to deliver object-based audio as the content creators intended, without resorting to psychoacoustic trickery.
49Merc likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page