Audio lag issues with two soundbars now. Two different brands. Not sure what to do. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 11-16-2018, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Audio lag issues with two soundbars now. Two different brands. Not sure what to do.

Both have been connected via Optical. I don't really have the option to use HDMI ARC. The video seems to be ahead of the audio by enough of an amount that the lips are absolutely not synced. I can always prove this by turning the volume up on the TV speakers while the soundbar is playing. The TV plays perfectly in sync and then the sound bar echoes it.

So far this has happened with a Vizio SB3651-E6 and now with a Samsung HW-N650.

My previous soundbar, an older 5.1 Vizio, never had any issues like this.

I don't know what to do. I'm going to return the sound bar, but I'm not sure what else to try at this point, and I have no idea why this audio lag is happening to begin with. This is entirely new to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 11-19-2018, 11:49 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by malrats View Post
Both have been connected via Optical. I don't really have the option to use HDMI ARC. The video seems to be ahead of the audio by enough of an amount that the lips are absolutely not synced. I can always prove this by turning the volume up on the TV speakers while the soundbar is playing. The TV plays perfectly in sync and then the sound bar echoes it.

So far this has happened with a Vizio SB3651-E6 and now with a Samsung HW-N650.

My previous soundbar, an older 5.1 Vizio, never had any issues like this.

I don't know what to do. I'm going to return the sound bar, but I'm not sure what else to try at this point, and I have no idea why this audio lag is happening to begin with. This is entirely new to me.
how was your connection like? connecting all your devices directly to your bar? you may want to look out for a soundbar that comes with lip sync feature. I remember sony has it and my Nakamichi soundbar has it too. did you try to change different HDMI cable?

TV: LG OLED65C7P
Soundbar: Shockwafe Ultra 9.2 DTSX, "Looking for another set for bedroom"
Device: Amazon Fire TV Cube, Apple TV 4K, PS4 Pro, Xbox One X, Sony BluRay Player UBP-X800, Roku Ultra 4K,
post #3 of 16 Old 11-20-2018, 11:11 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
what tv do you have?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 11-20-2018, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsrrr View Post
what tv do you have?
It’s a TCL 55S401 Roku TV.

The audio delay is +200ms when Dolby Digital is enabled on my Xbox One X and PS4 Pro for testing and +100ms when set to PCM instead. I have tried both connected directly to the TV via HDMI and then directly with Optical. Exact same lag.

On the Roku OS using the TV speakers (which are all I even have right now), I get no delay on the built-in YouTube app when doing a test, and that’s regardless of what I have the formats set to, even though the TV speakers should only be stereo as far as I know.

This is driving me insane.
post #5 of 16 Old 11-20-2018, 06:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 1889 Post(s)
Liked: 1085
Try connecting the soundbar with analog cables and see if you still get the delay.
post #6 of 16 Old 11-20-2018, 07:23 PM

Quote:
It’s a TCL 55S401 Roku TV.

The audio delay is +200ms when Dolby Digital is enabled on my Xbox One X and PS4 Pro for testing and +100ms when set to PCM instead. I have tried both connected directly to the TV via HDMI and then directly with Optical. Exact same lag.

On the Roku OS using the TV speakers (which are all I even have right now), I get no delay on the built-in YouTube app when doing a test, and that’s regardless of what I have the formats set to, even though the TV speakers should only be stereo as far as I know.

This is driving me insane.
just a thought. did you try streaming youtube content in stereo from Roku OS to soundbar? did you notice any delay? if so, you may want to use soundbar or tv settings to compensate the delay. look for lip sync or audio delay adjustment

Device: Amazon Fire TV Cube, Apple TV 4K, PS4 Pro, Xbox One X, Sony BluRay Player UBP-X800, Roku Ultra 4K,
post #7 of 16 Old 11-20-2018, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellebob View Post
Try connecting the soundbar with analog cables and see if you still get the delay.
Two things:

I don’t have any sound bars anymore (returned the ones I tried since they didn’t work out).

My TV doesn’t have any analog inputs. I guess it has the red/white/yellow but the sound bars never had that.
post #8 of 16 Old 11-20-2018, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micarina View Post
just a thought. did you try streaming youtube content in stereo from Roku OS to soundbar? did you notice any delay? if so, you may want to use soundbar or tv settings to compensate the delay. look for lip sync or audio delay adjustment
Unfortunately, Roku OS doesn’t let you stream to anything except Roku TV Wireless speakers (and then to Bluetooth devices from those speakers), but those don’t arrive until next Monday.
post #9 of 16 Old 11-20-2018, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

Curious: does anyone think that an AV receiver would fix it? Would it take over the audio processing instead of the TV doing it? Though if so, I wonder if the built-in Roku TV apps would still have sound.
post #10 of 16 Old 11-20-2018, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Curious: does anyone think that an AV receiver would fix it? Would it take over the audio processing instead of the TV doing it? Though if so, I wonder if the built-in Roku TV apps would still have sound.
I don't think you need an AV receiver. just look out for soundbar with lip sync or AV delay compensation feature should do the job for you

post #11 of 16 Old 11-20-2018, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I don't think you need an AV receiver. just look out for soundbar with lip sync or AV delay compensation feature should do the job for you
I’ve tried two sound bars with that feature—Vizio SB3651 and Samsung HW-N650.

Problem is, they only let you ADD an audio delay, which is already at +200ms.
post #12 of 16 Old 11-20-2018, 07:59 PM

Quote:
I’ve tried two sound bars with that feature—Vizio SB3651 and Samsung HW-N650.

Problem is, they only let you ADD an audio delay, which is already at +200ms.
I thought your video is ahead of audio which means audio plays slower than video. correct me if I mistaken wrongly.

Did you try to just plug your device into your tv and play the audio out from TV speaker to verify the delay. If the delay still exists, it means it could be your content devices or the hdmi cable attached to it is bad. Otherwise, it means there is something not right about the soundbar to work well with your setup.

post #13 of 16 Old 11-20-2018, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I thought your video is ahead of audio which means audio plays slower than video. correct me if I mistaken wrongly.

Did you try to just plug your device into your tv and play the audio out from TV speaker to verify the delay. If the delay still exists, it means it could be your content devices or the hdmi cable attached to it is bad. Otherwise, it means there is something not right about the soundbar to work well with your setup.
Yes, the video is ahead of the audio by 200ms when using an external device, connected via HDMI or Optical. This was verified using the TV speakers and soundbars connected to Xbox One X and PS4 Pro and using their YouTube apps to play an audio sync test. They are connected via different HDMI cables and in different ports on the TV. The results are the same.

For testing purposes, I can’t verify the exact delay on DirecTV because there is no way to launch YouTube.

When launching YouTube on Roku TV and using the internal speakers, the delay is consistently testing at 0ms. Though I can’t be sure that it wouldn’t fall out of sync over time.

So as I said, those sound bars only offered the option to delay the audio even more—so the 200ms delay behind the video would be increased to up to 500ms using the AV Delay options. There was nothing to lessen the delay on the audio.

Do you understand what I mean? It’s a pain to explain and I feel like I’m making it confusing.

Also, I don’t have a sound bar anymore. All of the testing is being done using the built-in TV speakers.
post #14 of 16 Old 11-20-2018, 09:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 1889 Post(s)
Liked: 1085
Quote:
Two things:

I don’t have any sound bars anymore (returned the ones I tried since they didn’t work out).

My TV doesn’t have any analog inputs. I guess it has the red/white/yellow but the sound bars never had that.
Most of the TCLs I have worked with have an analog output or headphone output and you would connect that to an analog input on the soundbar. It might need an adapter cable from a headphone (3.5mm) to an RCA depending on which connections the sound bar and TV use.
post #15 of 16 Old 11-20-2018, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Yes, the video is ahead of the audio by 200ms when using an external device, connected via HDMI or Optical. This was verified using the TV speakers and soundbars connected to Xbox One X and PS4 Pro and using their YouTube apps to play an audio sync test. They are connected via different HDMI cables and in different ports on the TV. The results are the same.

For testing purposes, I can’t verify the exact delay on DirecTV because there is no way to launch YouTube.

When launching YouTube on Roku TV and using the internal speakers, the delay is consistently testing at 0ms. Though I can’t be sure that it wouldn’t fall out of sync over time.

So as I said, those sound bars only offered the option to delay the audio even more—so the 200ms delay behind the video would be increased to up to 500ms using the AV Delay options. There was nothing to lessen the delay on the audio.

Do you understand what I mean? It’s a pain to explain and I feel like I’m making it confusing.

Also, I don’t have a sound bar anymore. All of the testing is being done using the built-in TV speakers.
Now I get it. it is the audio actually slower. therefore the Audio delay feature will slow down the audio even further. This is strange though because it is usually video slower than audio due to network speed and video processing.

post #16 of 16 Old 11-21-2018, 01:04 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I had the Vizio SB3651-E6 with my Samsung KS8000 and had the audio sync issue too. Tried with both HDMI and optical. It may have been due to the soundbar trying to up convert tv stereo audio to surround? I tired to change the audio mode to direct and I think it fixed the issue. It's like the soundbar took a while to process the audio.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Tags
lag , sound bar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page