LG 2019 Soundbars with Meridian Audio Previewed - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By imagic
  • 1 Post By renoreigns
  • 1 Post By zazdsm
  • 1 Post By taichi4

post #1 of 21 Old 12-27-2018, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 459 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9304 Post(s)
Liked: 16468
LG 2019 Soundbars with Meridian Audio Previewed

AVS Forum post here: 2019 LG Soundbars with Meridian Audio Previewed

Full press release:

-----

"ENGLEWOOD CLIFFS, N.J., Dec. 26, 2018 — LG Electronics (LG) is set to delight home theater enthusiasts around the globe yet again with the introduction of its latest sound bar lineup at CES 2019.

The company’s new sound bars deliver superior sound quality through a collaboration with Meridian Audio – pioneers of High-Resolution Audio – along with smart functionality and a sleek, modern design. Delivering strong, multi-dimensional sound that fills every corner of the room and equipped with the convenience of AI, LG’s 2019 lineup creates truly immersive user experiences and features two CES Innovation Award recipients (models SL9YG and SL10YG). LG’s premium SL9 rose above the competition in its category to take home the coveted Best of Innovation title.

Working closely with Meridian, LG continues to improve sound quality across its product portfolio, extending its evolving technology to three sound bar models (models SL10YG, SL9YG and SL8YG) this year. The collaboration goes far beyond basic fine-tuning or the adoption of feature-sets, with both companies joining forces to engineer sound delivery for a truly unrivalled listening experience.

Drawing on 25 years of experience as the masters of Digital Signal Processing, Meridian’s Bass & Space technology improves the soundstage and envelops listeners in rich, uncompromising sound and strong bass. Together with its Image Elevation technology, designed to lift the soundstage in a more lifelike way to boost listeners’ sense of immersion, Meridian creates a true cinematic experience, delivering powerful surround sound like no other.

Able to up-mix two-channel audio to multiple, distinct channels without generating any distortion, the Meridian Upmix technology increases sound immersion by improving the sound field while upgrading the clarity of vocals and lead instruments. With these exclusive and cutting-edge enhancements, the premium user experience is elevated by LG’s 2019 lineup.

LG’s high-end sound bars (models SL10, SL9 and SL8) support both Dolby Atmos and DTS:X. With these two acclaimed technologies, users can enjoy breathtakingly realistic surround sound that seems to come from multiple directions and depths. To bolster the already solid output and detailed soundscape of LG’s latest sound bars, users can add the Wireless Rear Speaker Kit* to achieve a more cinema-like experience.

In addition to superior sound, clarity and richness, LG’s new lineup of sound bars offer the convenience of AI smart connectivity and voice recognition with the built-in Google Assistant. Users can control their LG sound bar and get information with a simple command such as, “Hey Google, increase the volume,” or, “Hey Google, what artist is playing?” Compatibility with Google Assistant-enabled smart products make it possible to control connected devices throughout the home via voice command. Simply say, “Hey Google, ask LG to turn on the air purifier,” to the sound bar to make adjustments without leaving the couch.

The 2019 LG sound bars have a sleek, understated design that perfectly matches the chic style of LG’s exceptional OLED TVs, creating a seamless aesthetic when placed beneath one of the company’s next-generation TVs. At only 57mm (2.25 in) deep, the LG SL9 can also be installed flush to the wall for a clean, streamlined appearance that saves space and makes a sophisticated statement. An integrated gyroscope sensor gauges the position of the product (fixed to a wall or on a flat surface), adjusting sound directionality to guarantee the optimal listening experience. With its distinctive form, LG’s game-changing SL9 picked up a Best of Innovation honor at the 2019 CES Innovation Awards.
" - LG
Zoland2020 likes this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 12-31-2018 at 09:21 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 12-28-2018, 06:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked: 231
When I used to have SK10, I could not use "hey google...".

Sony 65 A9F, LG 65 E9
post #3 of 21 Old 12-29-2018, 11:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2509 Post(s)
Liked: 1210
I hope they put some larger drivers in them...

Shopping List:
TV: LG CX/GX
Blu-ray: Panasonic UB820
AVR/Pre-pro: Marantz 8805/7705 or 8012, or Yamaha 5200 or 3080
Speakers: GE Triton One.R, or ML ElectroMotion ESL X
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 12-30-2018, 08:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by New24K View Post
I hope they put some larger drivers in them...
Does the LG SK10Y have bigger drivers than the Samsung N850? Since it has more watts
post #5 of 21 Old 12-31-2018, 09:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 1571
Honestly these LG soundbars impressed me, short story.

My 75 year old inlaws desired a new TV to replace their 8 year old 1080p.
Best Buy Black Friday got them a LG 55" C8 OLED - for $1,699, they had the sky9 soundbar normally $899 for $599 on sale, however bundled with the OLED extra $200 off!

Yep $399 for a sky9 with wireless sub. Got the wireless rear modules for $99, $80 off.

While not HT reference level sound, still very clear sound and quite loud, more than enough.
Much better than the built in speakers

I'm guessing the 2018 models are not Meridian Audio backward compatible via firmware? Or is there a upgrade path for it?
post #6 of 21 Old 12-31-2018, 10:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post
Honestly these LG soundbars impressed me, short story.

My 75 year old inlaws desired a new TV to replace their 8 year old 1080p.
Best Buy Black Friday got them a LG 55" C8 OLED - for $1,699, they had the sky9 soundbar normally $899 for $599 on sale, however bundled with the OLED extra $200 off!

Yep $399 for a sky9 with wireless sub. Got the wireless rear modules for $99, $80 off.

While not HT reference level sound, still very clear sound and quite loud, more than enough.
Much better than the built in speakers

I'm guessing the 2018 models are not Meridian Audio backward compatible via firmware? Or is there a upgrade path for it?
2018 LG SK10Y is MERIDIAN AUDIO. It is also written on it. However only the Standard Mode gets all the advantages from Meridian (Elevation Sound and more).

Video: LG OLED 55 B7v | Calibration: i1D3 OEM, Calman Enthusiast.
Audio: Yamaha RX-V585, Polk s15e, Polk s10e, Polk s35ce, Atmos Dynavoice Magix FX-4, Sub DIY Dayton RSS210HF Ported | Calibration: MiniDSP, UMIK-1, REW
post #7 of 21 Old 12-31-2018, 12:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsabrewulf View Post
Does the LG SK10Y have bigger drivers than the Samsung N850? Since it has more watts

No, to my knowledge, the Samsung N850/N950 has bigger drivers.

I hope the new LG L versions for 2019 have bigger drivers to at least match the sound quality of the Samsungs.

Shopping List:

Last edited by New24K; 12-31-2018 at 01:08 PM.
post #8 of 21 Old 12-31-2018, 12:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1322 Post(s)
Liked: 1184
How can they hand out CES 2019 awards long before the show is started?

Tower Cinema - 9.1.6 in a 12'x12' room
Input : Nvidia Shield TV, Panasonic DMP-UB400
Magic : Marantz SR7010, Marantz SR6010, 2x NAD T743
Output : Panasonic TX65EZ952B, SVS PB13 Ultra, Monitor Audio GSLCR 2xGS20 2xGS10 4xGSFX 6xBX1
post #9 of 21 Old 12-31-2018, 12:51 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 23
This is pretty cool. Some people really don't have the room, nor desire to have speakers all over the room. Soundbars open up new possibilities for those people that just want to improve their tv's sound and with technology improving so quickly, you can have great sound with very little compromise.
Frank T. Greenlaw likes this.
post #10 of 21 Old 12-31-2018, 04:58 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Curious as how the SL9YG works wall mounted vertically. I understand it has a gyroscope built in, but does one sacrifice any quality mounted that way?
post #11 of 21 Old 01-01-2019, 06:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
AVS Forum post here: 2019 LG Soundbars with Meridian Audio Previewed

Full press release:

-----

"ENGLEWOOD CLIFFS, N.J., Dec. 26, 2018 — LG Electronics (LG) is set to delight home theater enthusiasts around the globe yet again with the introduction of its latest sound bar lineup at CES 2019.

The company’s new sound bars deliver superior sound quality through a collaboration with Meridian Audio – pioneers of High-Resolution Audio – along with smart functionality and a sleek, modern design. Delivering strong, multi-dimensional sound that fills every corner of the room and equipped with the convenience of AI, LG’s 2019 lineup creates truly immersive user experiences and features two CES Innovation Award recipients (models SL9YG and SL10YG). LG’s premium SL9 rose above the competition in its category to take home the coveted Best of Innovation title.

Working closely with Meridian, LG continues to improve sound quality across its product portfolio, extending its evolving technology to three sound bar models (models SL10YG, SL9YG and SL8YG) this year. The collaboration goes far beyond basic fine-tuning or the adoption of feature-sets, with both companies joining forces to engineer sound delivery for a truly unrivalled listening experience.

Drawing on 25 years of experience as the masters of Digital Signal Processing, Meridian’s Bass & Space technology improves the soundstage and envelops listeners in rich, uncompromising sound and strong bass. Together with its Image Elevation technology, designed to lift the soundstage in a more lifelike way to boost listeners’ sense of immersion, Meridian creates a true cinematic experience, delivering powerful surround sound like no other.

Able to up-mix two-channel audio to multiple, distinct channels without generating any distortion, the Meridian Upmix technology increases sound immersion by improving the sound field while upgrading the clarity of vocals and lead instruments. With these exclusive and cutting-edge enhancements, the premium user experience is elevated by LG’s 2019 lineup.

LG’s high-end sound bars (models SL10, SL9 and SL8) support both Dolby Atmos and DTS:X. With these two acclaimed technologies, users can enjoy breathtakingly realistic surround sound that seems to come from multiple directions and depths. To bolster the already solid output and detailed soundscape of LG’s latest sound bars, users can add the Wireless Rear Speaker Kit* to achieve a more cinema-like experience.

In addition to superior sound, clarity and richness, LG’s new lineup of sound bars offer the convenience of AI smart connectivity and voice recognition with the built-in Google Assistant. Users can control their LG sound bar and get information with a simple command such as, “Hey Google, increase the volume,” or, “Hey Google, what artist is playing?” Compatibility with Google Assistant-enabled smart products make it possible to control connected devices throughout the home via voice command. Simply say, “Hey Google, ask LG to turn on the air purifier,” to the sound bar to make adjustments without leaving the couch.

The 2019 LG sound bars have a sleek, understated design that perfectly matches the chic style of LG’s exceptional OLED TVs, creating a seamless aesthetic when placed beneath one of the company’s next-generation TVs. At only 57mm (2.25 in) deep, the LG SL9 can also be installed flush to the wall for a clean, streamlined appearance that saves space and makes a sophisticated statement. An integrated gyroscope sensor gauges the position of the product (fixed to a wall or on a flat surface), adjusting sound directionality to guarantee the optimal listening experience. With its distinctive form, LG’s game-changing SL9 picked up a Best of Innovation honor at the 2019 CES Innovation Awards.
" - LG

They CAN'T even make the SK10y to work with APTV4K and FIX all issues with SOUND and SUB. (do a search)

I get it ... they pay to advertise ... so be it ... lol

“Hey Google, ask LG fix the soundbar issues”
New_to_4K likes this.

Last edited by zazdsm; 01-01-2019 at 06:58 PM.
post #12 of 21 Old 01-01-2019, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 459 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9304 Post(s)
Liked: 16468
Quote:
Originally Posted by zazdsm View Post
They CAN'T even make the SK10y to work with APTV4K and FIX all issues with SOUND and SUB. (do a search)

I get it ... they pay to advertise ... so be it ... lol
I do not know if LG advertises its soundbars here or not, but I don't think it does. I'm posting CES news from all major companies, not just LG. I'm just posting the press release verbatim here. I have no idea how reliable or functional their soundbars are, since I have never reviewed one.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #13 of 21 Old 01-01-2019, 07:55 PM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
I do not know if LG advertises its soundbars here or not, but I don't think it does. I'm posting CES news from all major companies, not just LG. I'm just posting the press release verbatim here. I have no idea how reliable or functional their soundbars are, since I have never reviewed one.

sounds good. bc we are tired (at least (myself) tired of vizio and rtings so called reviews. aka menu adjustments)

Last edited by zazdsm; 01-01-2019 at 08:26 PM.
post #14 of 21 Old 01-02-2019, 09:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by zazdsm View Post
sounds good. bc we are tired (at least (myself) tired of vizio and rtings so called reviews. aka menu adjustments)
The question is whether the new sound bars improve upon the hardware compared to last year's model, which also featured Meridian Audio, although without DTS:X. CNET's review of last year's model faulted it for not being as musical as its peers, and for less than stellar integration between the soundbar and the sub.

All the sound processing technology in the world can't trump the limitations of the physical hardware.
New24K likes this.
post #15 of 21 Old 01-02-2019, 09:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked: 320
The question is whether the new sound bars improve upon the hardware compared to last year's model, which also featured Meridian Audio, although without DTS:X. CNET's review of last year's model faulted it for not being as musical as its peers, and for less than stellar integration between the soundbar and the sub.

All the sound processing technology in the world can't trump the limitations of the physical hardware.
post #16 of 21 Old 01-05-2019, 01:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Do you know what people over 50 years of age want? A sound bar that makes dialogue understandable. Not one that advertises that it does, but one that actually does. As we age our hearing loses the ability to "hear" higher frequencies vs lower frequencies. This, along with movie directors and sound engineers insistence upon high volume and booming bass of all background, music and special effect sounds, has ruined movie watching for far too many people.
post #17 of 21 Old 01-05-2019, 01:54 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend Yaz View Post
Do you know what people over 50 years of age want? A sound bar that makes dialogue understandable. Not one that advertises that it does, but one that actually does. As we age our hearing loses the ability to "hear" higher frequencies vs lower frequencies. This, along with movie directors and sound engineers insistence upon high volume and booming bass of all background, music and special effect sounds, has ruined movie watching for far too many people.
Totally agree. I'm well over 60 now and watch Netflix with closed captions! I'm hoping one of these newer lg sound bars will help with dialogue clarity as it looks like they would pair nicely with my C7 Oled. Will be interested to hear pricing/reviews.
post #18 of 21 Old 03-04-2019, 10:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well... for one the new 2019 SL10YG has 20 more watts (570 watts) than did the 2018 SL10Y (550 watts).

Shopping List:
post #19 of 21 Old 03-19-2019, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by New24K View Post
Well... for one the new 2019 SL10YG has 20 more watts (570 watts) than did the 2018 SL10Y (550 watts).

I believe that it’s 20 more watts on the sub and not the actual soundbar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #20 of 21 Old 12-05-2019, 01:51 PM

Don Lindich's "Sound Advice" highly recommends the new Zvox AccuVoice AV203 TV Sound Bar for those seeking improved dialog sound.
Currently on sale for $199 from $269 until the end of the year.
post #21 of 21 Old 12-05-2019, 01:58 PM

Sorry, I forgot to add link:

http://soundadvicenews.com/2019/12/0...ft-guide-2019/

Also, price may be down to $169.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Tags