2019 LG Soundbar Pricing and Availability - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By imagic
  • 1 Post By dfa973
  • 1 Post By dfa973

post #1 of 8 Old 03-26-2019, 05:51 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 425 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8812 Post(s)
Liked: 15472
2019 LG Soundbar Pricing and Availability

LG electronics has just announced pricing and availability for its 2019 soundbars. There are six different models in the announcement, ranging from the affordable SL5Y 2.1-channel model ($279) to the premium SL10YG ($1299) that offers 5.1.2 channel Dolby Atmos with Meridian Technology audio enhancements.

According to LG, the first soundbar to ship is the SL6Y 3.1-channel model ($399) that launches nationwide this week. The remaining models will ship by April 14, with the single exception of the SL9YG that is slated for a late May release.

Three of the new soundbar models support 3D immersive sound, including Dolby Atmos as well as DTS:X: SL10YG ($1299), SL9YG ($999) and SL8YG ($799). The SL9YG is a 4.1.2-0channel model and the SL8YG delivers 3.1.2 channel sound. All of these soundbars feature Meridian Technology sound. These premium soundbars offer voice recognition and “AI smart connectivity” with Google Assistant built in. You do not need an extra device to use speech recognition with these soundbars.

"Our 2019 sound bars are the most innovative and best sounding models LG has designed to date," said Tim Alessi, head of home entertainment product marketing at LG Electronics USA. “This combination of exceptional sound and smart AI connectivity takes music and movies to a new level of home entertainment.”

The SL9YG stands out with its adaptable design that allows it to be used in either horizontal or vertical orientation, depending on whether it is sitting on a stand or wall mounted. Interestingly, when in wall mount mode, it utilizes downfiring speakers to create Dolby Atmos 4.1.2 sound.

The SL5Y ($279), SL6Y ($399) and SL7Y ($499) models are more affordable, but they still offer virtual 3D immersive sound courtesy of DTS Virtual:X. However, they do not have Meridian Technology audio.
Sina Moghbel and Zoland2020 like this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 03-26-2019 at 05:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-26-2019, 01:46 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Even though I'm a A/V Receiver person, these soundbars are looking to be huge improvement over the last year models. If I was still in the soundbar world, I would very well be interested in either the SL8YG model or the SL10YG model.

My current mancave room setup:
Vizio V436-G1 4K HDR TV | LG UBK90 4K Blu-ray player | Denon AVR-S740H AV Receiver (running 5.1.2 Dolby Atmos and DTS:X) | Xbox One X | Roku Ultra (2018 model)
post #3 of 8 Old 03-26-2019, 04:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Do we know whether these soundbars will have eARC? I am hoping eARC solves stability issues that seem fairly common among ARC-based soundbar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 03-27-2019, 12:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Liked: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoland2020 View Post
Even though I'm a A/V Receiver person, these soundbars are looking to be huge improvement over the last year models. If I was still in the soundbar world, I would very well be interested in either the SL8YG model or the SL10YG model.
Trust me, soundbars exist just for convenience and minimalism. A lot of consumers do not care about quality. Is very, very hard to create a proper soundfield using tiny speakers. Lots of soundbars have weird crossovers to the subwoofer because the tiny speakers do not handle the audio spectrum very well and when you compare the two systems (soundbar vs proper speakers) you can hear the difference. Nothing can replace a proper resonating chamber behind a speaker drive. No DSP, virtualizer or other digital tricks can emulate a proper speaker. Soundbars cannot break the physics laws...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutmac View Post
Do we know whether these soundbars will have eARC? I am hoping eARC solves stability issues that seem fairly common among ARC-based soundbar.
LG did not announce eARC support. Still classic ARC.
Zoland2020 likes this.

"OFFICIAL" 2019 LG C9 Consolidated Info, FAQ, Troubleshooting, Firmware & more
LG 3D TV --- Denon AVR --- Wharfedale speakers --- Emotiva subs --- Media players: Intel NUC 8th & 7th gen i3's with Pulse-Eight internal HDMI-CEC adapters, Kodi on Win10, one remote to rule them all - the TV remote!
post #5 of 8 Old 03-28-2019, 08:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 1483
fwiw, I got the 2018 Sky9 soundbar for my in-laws, including the rear surrounds.
Much better sound quality than the stock OLED 55” C8 speakers, and works flawlessly arc from TV for apps or via bluray / comcast box.
Plus - black Friday prices with combo package could not pass it up.

"Home Theater" sound quality, nope, but decent viewing / listening sound quality, sure.
The rear surrounds while ... "tiny" is nice to describe them ... do surprisingly add ok ambiance

Last edited by mtbdudex; 03-28-2019 at 08:55 AM.
post #6 of 8 Old 03-29-2019, 04:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post
fwiw, I got the 2018 Sky9 soundbar for my in-laws, including the rear surrounds.
Much better sound quality than the stock OLED 55” C8 speakers
It should sound better, of course, the TV speakers are even smaller than the soundbar speakers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post
"Home Theater" sound quality, nope, but decent viewing / listening sound quality, sure.
That is the whole purpose of soundbars, to sound decent enough if you do not want more.
Zoland2020 likes this.

LG 3D TV --- Denon AVR --- Wharfedale speakers --- Emotiva subs --- Media players: Intel NUC 8th & 7th gen i3's with Pulse-Eight internal HDMI-CEC adapters, Kodi on Win10, one remote to rule them all - the TV remote!
post #7 of 8 Old 04-11-2019, 02:09 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I wonder when they'll incorporate better speakers to set the TV apart.

My guess is never, but..
post #8 of 8 Old 04-13-2019, 03:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordFLiesNverted View Post
I wonder when they'll incorporate better speakers to set the TV apart.
There is a trend for this:

1. manufacturers install a 2-way speaker system inside the TV (2 tweeters + 2 mid-woofers, aka 2.2 audio)

2. soundbar or soundplate integrated to the TV

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Tags
dolby atmos , lg soundbar , meridian , soundbar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page