Will I even notice Atmos? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 04-19-2019, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Will I even notice Atmos?

So I keep obsessing about a new soundbar in the future and it having good Atmos capabilities.....however, I've been thinking about my seating situation, and I was curious if I'd even get any benefit from Atmos? Our two main recliners are against the back wall directly across from the TV...about 13 ft away, and then our couch is against the wall off to the side.....so we have no seating that's directly in the center of the room where I imagine the Atmos sound would be bouncing down from. Am I even going to hear Atmos effects if I don't have seating directly under the reflected sound? Should I stop obsessing about my next bar having Atmos, and instead just concentrate on getting a good 5.1 system? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-20-2019, 07:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked: 324
If you are going with a sound bar with atmos, you will need to probably be around 4-6 feet away to get proper angles. From 13 feet back, I don’t think you would get any type of good effect, but perhaps if you tilt it a bit and move seating forward a bit, you might find a way to get some level of effect. It can’t hurt to try.
post #3 of 8 Old 04-20-2019, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

I was convinced I’d probably get a system like the Vizio 5.1.4.....but I’m now considering just getting the Sony z9f soundbar with the rears. I think the Sony allows you to specify your seating distance, and since I’m probably going with a Sony TV, I think it should cooperate well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0j0 View Post
If you are going with a sound bar with atmos, you will need to probably be around 4-6 feet away to get proper angles. From 13 feet back, I don’t think you would get any type of good effect, but perhaps if you tilt it a bit and move seating forward a bit, you might find a way to get some level of effect. It can’t hurt to try.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 04-21-2019, 05:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgaviator View Post
I was convinced I’d probably get a system like the Vizio 5.1.4.....but I’m now considering just getting the Sony z9f soundbar with the rears. I think the Sony allows you to specify your seating distance, and since I’m probably going with a Sony TV, I think it should cooperate well.

Having actual rear speakers will give you a much better experience for surround sound, so that sounds like a reasonable option. I wouldn't spend too much on a sound bar setup, as you will probably want to go with a receiver and speakers at some point (you are on avsforums after all).
post #5 of 8 Old 04-22-2019, 05:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgaviator View Post
So I keep obsessing about a new soundbar in the future and it having good Atmos capabilities.....however, I've been thinking about my seating situation, and I was curious if I'd even get any benefit from Atmos? Our two main recliners are against the back wall directly across from the TV...about 13 ft away, and then our couch is against the wall off to the side.....so we have no seating that's directly in the center of the room where I imagine the Atmos sound would be bouncing down from. Am I even going to hear Atmos effects if I don't have seating directly under the reflected sound? Should I stop obsessing about my next bar having Atmos, and instead just concentrate on getting a good 5.1 system? Thanks.
Like M0j0 says, you may want to go with the ultimate solution eventually, a receiver and speakers. Here’s my problem with 5.1... I’ve always found the sound uncontrollable, meaning music and or sound effects too loud, voices buried in them and nothing controllable enough. If you go with a sound bar, get a 7.1 immersive because everything is more distinct and controllable (such as the Nakamichi 7.2 or 9.2). It’s not just the rear effects, it’s the immersion and delegation of sounds to channels that is very noticeable. It really doesn’t matter if you don’t hear those rare events of things flying overhead. OTOH, if you want to start small and affordable, get an amp capable of full expansion and start with just a few speakers. My only problem with doing that is I’ve been stuck every time because the same speakers aren’t available when I want them. Good luck!
post #6 of 8 Old 04-26-2019, 01:35 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 5
My experience with the Atmos soundbars are that the effect is there, but it's not in your face. I'm not sure about sitting 13 feet back as the speakers are meant to hit the ceiling and bounce back at a certain angle.

In your case I wouldn't make Atmos function a huge priority for the unit and instead just make sure you get a high quality unit.
post #7 of 8 Old 04-26-2019, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter

Thinking about the Sony z9f with rears since I’ll bet getting a Sony TV. I like Vizio but having only 1 useful HDMI input is kinda a deal breaker for me. That was really a bonehead move on their part. How much could it really cost them to add an additional input or two? A few bucks?
post #8 of 8 Old 04-26-2019, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

I honestly won’t probably be looking to get something until next year at this point as getting the tv is gonna exhaust my extra funds. Maybe Vizio and Sony or some other brands will come out with more compelling stuff next year. Seems like Atmos and Soundbars are here to stay so I imagine it will just keep getting better
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page