HW-N950 / Roku DD+ No sound issue - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 05-06-2019, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 5
HW-N950 / Roku DD+ No sound issue

Starting this to see if others are having similar issues with Roku/ Roku TV's and the HW-N950 (and other samsung soundbars).

It is not clear if this is an issue with Roku or the soundbar. I am hoping someone out there has run into this before.

Issue: Roku detects DD+ capability of the HW-N950 however there is no sound from the soundbar when DD+ is selected in Roku. Even the Roku menu clicks go silent so this has nothing to do with the content being played. I am able to adjust the volume via CEC but there is no sound at all.

When switching to standard DD, everything works fine.

I had this issue on 2 65" TCL Roku 6 series units (had to exchange TV due to screen issues)
I also have this issue on a 55" TCL Roku tv (same OS version)
The soundbar has been exchanged per Samsung's recommendation. Same issue with new one.
I have tried 4 different HDMI cables

I am working with TCL and Samsung support on this but I feel like it is going to be a long road to get anywhere with this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Yesterday, 08:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
@3IMOH , I have same setup and same issue. Any luck getting this resolved?
post #3 of 6 Old Yesterday, 09:06 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 84
I read somewhere that the Roku’s can send PCM instead of DD+ which ends up causing the no sound problem.

One person reported success with doing a factory reset on the Roku, then immediately setting the Roku audio to surround and DD+.

Nvidia Shield - Zidoo X9S - HTPC/MPC-HC
Oppo 203 - Samsung HW-N950 - 7.2.4
LG 86UH9500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old Yesterday, 09:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked: 1105
I suggest you try the appropriate TCL 6 series thread as well. It really sounds like a RokuTV DD+ issue. I'm sure others TCL users must be trying to output DD+ to other brands of soundbars.

As an aside my Roku Ultra connected to my Vizio P series puts out DD+ via ARC to both my old K950 and new N950 fine.
post #5 of 6 Old Yesterday, 09:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I was able to get sound from the soundbar in DD+ mode by disabling CEC control in the TV. I also had to have the TV Speaker enabled (I just turned down the sound the entire way). I still haven't been able to confirm 7.1 or ATMOS output. Is there a good test app I can use on a Roku TV that outputs ATMOS?
post #6 of 6 Old Yesterday, 10:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked: 1105
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartinec View Post
I was able to get sound from the soundbar in DD+ mode by disabling CEC control in the TV. I also had to have the TV Speaker enabled (I just turned down the sound the entire way). I still haven't been able to confirm 7.1 or ATMOS output. Is there a good test app I can use on a Roku TV that outputs ATMOS?
Once again try the TCL 6 series forum since I don't know what Apps it outputs in Atmos. Jack Ryan on Amazon Prime has an Atmos Version and Vudu has a Dolby Labs test video. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page